Tavaris Jackson deal completed

Beerball

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Smith also plays on the KO team, the punt team, and likely the KR team. He will probably play 3-5 plays a game as a Wildcat, and maybe 5 snaps as a WR. All in all, he will likely play about 20 snaps a game.

Just because he could play on the kick teams as well as a WR a few plays a game doesn't make him any good. It also doesn't make any argument that any of our other players could play or perform just as good at the wildcat position. Some of us don't fall for gimmick plays or formations on offense, some of us don't see a need to spend $4m a year on someone to perform those gimmick plays either. I'm not saying it won't work, or can't, it just doesn't feel worth it. Brad Smith had the 2nd best year of his career last year and he was almost invisable. He played a few games at WR only because we were in dire need, he ran about 5 plays from the wildcat and he downed a countless number of touchbacks in the endzone. His 2nd best year last year, yeah, awesome. It's not my money so I don't really care, I just dont think he's a good football player and I don't think the wildcat fools anyone. That's all.

Back to the point of the thread, I think Jackson is a good pickup. He might be better than what we had. We don't know yet, but we knew what we had sucked. I felt better with VY as our backup than TT and now I feel even better with TJ than VY so were moving forward IMO.

Just because he could play on the kick teams as well as a WR a few plays a game doesn't make him any good. It also doesn't make any argument that any of our other players could play or perform just as good at the wildcat position. Some of us don't fall for gimmick plays or formations on offense, some of us don't see a need to spend $4m a year on someone to perform those gimmick plays either. I'm not saying it won't work, or can't, it just doesn't feel worth it. Brad Smith had the 2nd best year of his career last year and he was almost invisable. He played a few games at WR only because we were in dire need, he ran about 5 plays from the wildcat and he downed a countless number of touchbacks in the endzone. His 2nd best year last year, yeah, awesome. It's not my money so I don't really care, I just dont think he's a good football player and I don't think the wildcat fools anyone. That's all.

Back to the point of the thread, I think Jackson is a good pickup. He might be better than what we had. We don't know yet, but we knew what we had sucked. I felt better with VY as our backup than TT and now I feel even better with TJ than VY so were moving forward IMO.

I'm guessing the thing with Brad Smith is it's better to have a player who adds depth to a few positions as opposed to having a No.3 QB who will never play.

for what it's worth. the Bills are maintaining their faith in Fitzpatrick because he has earned the trust of the coaching staff and the locker room. He is their unquestioned leader, who also has the best grasp of Gailey's offense. and that's something that Young showed he didn't have given the additional responsibilities presented to him in taking over in the second half on Saturday.

obviously, this is a step back. Tarvaris will need time to get up to speed with the offense, so it's quite evident that the Bills are going with Fitzpatrick this season win or lose for the most part, early on. and, let me say this, too, Fitzpatrick understands what's at stake, and that it's up to him to prove himself. at he very least he is confident he can do that.

jw

John I just hope that what we are not seeing is Fitz feeling the pressure of the entire season on his shoulders and not being able to handle it. I think a smart game plan will help alleviate this since when they are pressing they seem rattled but when they get in a rythm and smooth much better product.

I'm guessing the thing with Brad Smith is it's better to have a player who adds depth to a few positions as opposed to having a No.3 QB who will never play.

And I agree with that 100%. IF I thought he was any good at any one of those positions. I just dot think he's any good. I'd also like to add that we get a 3rd QB added to the gameday roster which is fine, but we don't get an extra body added to the 53 man roster. So my argument is would you rather have a guy that plays 4 different positions below average or a young talented guy with potential to be on the roster and not cut? If all the speculation comes true and we end up losing Namaan because we keep 5 WRs and then BS, I'd be upset if Namaan was picked up by say....the Pats. Or how about this, would you rather have Smith who barely contributes vs Potter who can kick every kickoff out of the end zone ensuring every time the defense takes the field they have the advantage of defending 80 yards every possesion. I'd just rather have Potter. That's not to say we won't already keep those 2 guys, but would Stevie Johnson ever been a Bill? He was a 7th round pick, similar situation to Namaan, would he be here if we had Smith a few years ago? I just think we already know what we have with Smith and I personally don't think it's anything special. We don't know what we have in Namaan, or Carder, or Sanders, or Bradham. Anyone for that matter. I just don't think Smith is worthy of a roster spot. That's my opinion. I don't believe everyone, or anyone for that matter must agree with it but it's what I believe. If you chose to agree, great, if you don't, it's really classy to personally attack someone or belittle them for thier opinion.

woops, wrong-fingers charlie here accidently killed this post by mistake. ... sorry 'bout that. ... adding it back, though the timeline's now screwed up. sorry.

for what it's worth. the Bills are maintaining their faith in Fitzpatrick because he has earned the trust of the coaching staff and the locker room. He is their unquestioned leader, who also has the best grasp of Gailey's offense. and that's something that Young showed he didn't have given the additional responsibilities presented to him in taking over in the second half on Saturday.

obviously, this is a step back. Tarvaris will need time to get up to speed with the offense, so it's quite evident that the Bills are going with Fitzpatrick this season win or lose for the most part, early on. and, let me say this, too, Fitzpatrick understands what's at stake, and that it's up to him to prove himself. at he very least he is confident he can do that.

jw

woops, wrong-fingers charlie here accidently killed this post by mistake. ... sorry 'bout that. ... adding it back, though the timeline's now screwed up. sorry.

jw

we forgive ya

I feel like Im taking crazy pills.

As if the comments in the now-closed thread werent bad enough, the public comments on the Buffalo Bills' official facebook announcement are somehow EVEN WORSE.

What are they putting in the water up in WNY that makes everyone into an idiotic hater? People criticizing this move as if he is expected to be the starter. People saying that it will be Young and Jackson as our QBs week 1. Etc...

I just dont get it.

He's very good on the P and KO team. That's one of the major reasons they signed him last year. Did you see the tackle he made on the punt team Saturday? He plays on the outside on the KO team, one of the most important spots. And the middle man of the P team. He also returned his only KO 34 yards. He's known as one of the best in the league (12th in the league active, and at least three guys in front of him don't return KO anymore) although he had a terrible year last year, and was ordered not to return kicks more than three yards deep. Did you see CJ and anyone else out there always telling him to put a knee down? That was a team rule. He will likely be the starter there, too, and Gailey hinted at it. And he caught two passes.

He's very good on the P and KO team. That's one of the major reasons they signed him last year. Did you see the tackle he made on the punt team Saturday? He plays on the outside on the KO team, one of the most important spots. And the middle man of the P team. He also returned his only KO 34 yards. He's known as one of the best in the league (12th in the league active, and at least three guys in front of him don't return KO anymore) although he had a terrible year last year, and was ordered not to return kicks more than three yards deep. Did you see CJ and anyone else out there always telling him to put a knee down? That was a team rule. He will likely be the starter there, too, and Gailey hinted at it. And he caught two passes.

I did see the coverage on Saturday. Probably the best play I've seen him make as a Bill IMO. Which is more of a joke considering his best play was on a tackle on a kick/punt return. But that's my opinion.

I personally don't think he's a good KRer. He was good on the Jets and they got better last year without him, meanwhile he sucked last year for us. If that was the coaches decision to kneel down in the end zones then why did Just Rogers come right in as a rookie and perform very well? IMO, Smith is very hisitant and doesn't make quick decisions well.

If were really paying a guy $4m a year because he's good on coverage teams, this team and FO is more clueless than I thought. That position is usually saves for your 5th and 6th WRs, LBs, and CBs. Guys that ate good at a position and have promise and because they are good on coverage teams is why you keep them around. Because they show promise for a young player.

He had his 2nd best year of his career last year recieving and he barely did anything. That's sad IMO.

Of course this is all my opinion, I appreciate you trying to sway it with factual evidence. It at least males it an argument for me. I've said before, I'm behind the Smith idea until I'm proved otherwise because he's a Bill but I don't like him or the position they have for him.

Youre welcome. And thank you for the kind words.

Very nice and very helpful.I knew Seattle got better the second half of last year, but didn't think that was a reflection of TJ's performance. Clearly it was.That's good. It makes me feel better about it. He's still an unknown within our system but it's clear that our current backups have been terrible.

jw

Fitz may know the offense - but his inability to direct the football to his intended location will be his undoing.

The locker room will quickly rally around anyone who can actually deliver the ball

A lot of losses and incompletions will lose that trust pretty quickly

Chan is making the offense so difficult to comprehend that Fitz is the only who fully understands it.

His WRs are lost and now constantly going to the "wrong" place

From the looks of it, the OL is just as lost and confused.

good thing we have the pre-seaon to work out the kinks

I did see the coverage on Saturday. Probably the best play I've seen him make as a Bill IMO. Which is more of a joke considering his best play was on a tackle on a kick/punt return. But that's my opinion.

I personally don't think he's a good KRer. He was good on the Jets and they got better last year without him, meanwhile he sucked last year for us. If that was the coaches decision to kneel down in the end zones then why did Just Rogers come right in as a rookie and perform very well? IMO, Smith is very hisitant and doesn't make quick decisions well.

If were really paying a guy $4m a year because he's good on coverage teams, this team and FO is more clueless than I thought. That position is usually saves for your 5th and 6th WRs, LBs, and CBs. Guys that ate good at a position and have promise and because they are good on coverage teams is why you keep them around. Because they show promise for a young player.

He had his 2nd best year of his career last year recieving and he barely did anything. That's sad IMO.

Of course this is all my opinion, I appreciate you trying to sway it with factual evidence. It at least males it an argument for me. I've said before, I'm behind the Smith idea until I'm proved otherwise because he's a Bill but I don't like him or the position they have for him.

1] I don't understand for the life of me how anyone could say the Wildcat was not effective last year. It was. Inarguably. Even if we didn't use it a ton. I can go back and provide the stats if you want to look at them, and regardless of the third and short argument that has raged here. Smith averaged 4.4 per carry, which is phenomenal considering pretty much every carry is in a short yardage play. he averages 7.2 per carry for his career, when everyone knows he is going to run (even if we are going to try to change that).

2] It's a bull **** stat that the Jets got better when he left. He averaged 29 yards a return and the year before that 31 yards. As a team they averaged 26 yards a return, which is skewed by a couple onsides they recovered which got few yards (and there were a couple fumbles where returners screwed up). McKnight is very good too.

3] It's ridiculous to say "If were really paying a guy $4m a year because he's good on coverage teams, this team and FO is more clueless than I thought." because that is not at all what he does or what they signed him for. He plays 6 positions for them (#1 Wildcat QB, #3 Emergency QB, KR, KO, P, WR and maybe even RB). They think he is effective at all 6. Last year I thought he was a lousy KR and very mediocre WR, but am surely not giving up on him as a KR and the lousy WR is like complaining David Nelson was a lousy outside WR, he was, but he's not supposed to be playing there. Smith is not supposed to be playing full time WR. CJ wasn't good either, that doesnt mean he isnt dynamite out of the backfield on the cameo roles he is supposed to be used on.

It's not like I think he is the team's most valuable player, but he is a very good player, and well worth the money.

Its very simple: Thigpen and Vince are gone. Both were either not smart enough to pick up the plays or not good enough to execute them.

It's not that simple, because there's a trend here. It's going with Edwards and then cutting him early in 2010. Then it was signing players like Thigpen and Young, only to cut them. And now they're using a draft pick (which Nix values like breaths of oxygen) to acquire Tarvaris Jackson. Furthermore, they haven't drafted anything and choose to stick with Fitzpatrick who led the NFL in INT's last season and has thrown 48 in his last 39 games. I think fans should be concerned Nix's eye for QB talent isn't that hot, especially with that big contract given to RF.

It's not that simple, because there's a trend here. It's going with Edwards and then cutting him early in 2010. Then it was signing players like Thigpen and Young, only to cut them. And now they're using a draft pick (which Nix values like breaths of oxygen) to acquire Tarvaris Jackson. Furthermore, they haven't drafted anything and choose to stick with Fitzpatrick who led the NFL in INT's last season and has thrown 48 in his last 39 games. I think fans should be concerned Nix's eye for QB talent isn't that hot, especially with that big contract given to RF.

Fitz is the guy Billsvet...thats it

Just time for you to accept it