Cause for Concern

phillyrich

I’ve been dating this woman (Buffalo Bills) for a very long time. Once, a long time ago, our relationship reached near bliss (early 90’s), but then, because of all her flaws, it went stale for awhile (Since Music City Miracle), but I just couldn’t get myself to break up with her…so we slumbered along. Then recently (Bills off-season), she spent a lot of money & got a facelift & lypo suction (Mario, Anderson, etc)…man she looked great! So I decided to marry her this year! I felt it was time! But now, as the wedding approaches (Bills 2012 season), I have this sinking feeling…I am realizing that, despite the money spent & the facelift, she’s the same old B word!

Spot on old chap. Duh Bills. Beer isn`t doing it anymore,time to hit the hard stuff.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been dating this woman (Buffalo Bills) for a very long time. Once, a long time ago, our relationship reached near bliss (early 90’s), but then, because of all her flaws, it went stale for awhile (Since Music City Miracle), but I just couldn’t get myself to break up with her…so we slumbered along. Then recently (Bills off-season), she spent a lot of money & got a facelift & lypo suction (Mario, Anderson, etc)…man she looked great! So I decided to marry her this year! I felt it was time! But now, as the wedding approaches (Bills 2012 season), I have this sinking feeling…I am realizing that, despite the money spent & the facelift, she’s the same old B word!

I hate to break it to you, but your woman has been cheating on your for years.

Good think Fitz has a quick release, because the O-line gave him around 1.9 seconds. They suck. Wood better be able to go a full 60 in 2 weeks.

The D-line laying an egg on that drive is of no concern. Although Mario did show what some texan fans claim.The ability to turn it on or off. But this was pre-season. Kyle Williams thankfully didn't get the memo.

The last drive doesn't bother me too much. Not that it's a good excuse or anything, but I have to believe the Bill's D was already mentally out of the game. Pre-season, under 2 minutes to go essentially in the game for many of these guys as will be sitting out the 2nd half. It's kind of like when a team is up by 25 points with 5 minutes to go, you kind of let he other team do as they want, main plan is to get out healthy. Likely assumed Pitt was going to just kill the clock and go into halftime. But Pitt made a good pass on 3rd down for the first, once that happened, the Bill's couldn't turn it back on. Likely the Bills were in a prevent style defense, but maybe testing out some extra wrinkles that apparently didn't work very well. The fact that the D looked as good as they did up to that point, I'll give them a pass on that drive.

Obviously disappointed with how the Bills D did not respond like a potential top 5 D would in stuffing the Steelers within their own 2 yard line under 2 minutes. Completely inexcusable. Extremely concerning.

What I don't understand (and this could be a function of me not actually seeing the game but listening on the WGR feed) ... how can th D dominate Pit for the first 28.5 minutes of the game not allowing them to put together a decent drive .... and totally suck the last 1,5 minutes? It's not like Pit got one or two "luckey plays", they sounded like they methodically chunked down the field at will. It was almost like the call came down from the booth ... "OK guys we've seen what we wanted to see, bring it back to the barn, just don't get yourself hurt this last series.

Edited by Ed_Roch

There seems to be a myth on this board that the backup defensive line played most of that drive. They did not. And I think in that context the poster meant vaulted as in locked up, buried. Because that's what they were on that drive. Great for most of the half, but definitely locked in the vault on that drive.

He meant "vaunted" but he doesn't know English.

Funny! I'm a little concerned as well.

I wasn't paying attention to the time and tuned in during the 3rd quarter. From what I have read about Fitz and the WRs, it wasn't a great night and the stat line shows it. I know that a goal for Gailey and the offense was to add the ability for the WRs to adjust their routes based on the D. With regard to Fitz, how many of his incompletes thrown to places were he thought the WR should be and he wasn't there? Were they timing throws?

When the WRs were running their routes were they getting much separation?

In regards to not having a great balance and Gailey wanting to game plan going into this game, it is still the preseason, no point in runnnig FJ into the ground or risk an injury to him in this type of game. They know what they have in FJ and our running game, we saw it last year. OUr WRs are more of a question mark so they naturally will be getting more work, especially if what Gailey indicated earlier regarding their ability to adjust routes based on the D. That requires them and Fitz to all make the same read and adjustments. I wish I was a fly on the wall in the locker room to know if they are making the correct reads or not, but over these past 3 games, it seems like there are still issues with the QBs and WRs getting on the same page. Tonight I expected still mostly passes, but really thought the stat line would be a bit better.

As far as the D goes, we will go as far as our DL will take us. Williams is still basically a rookie and Gilmore is. McGee is hurt and McK can loook great at times and also at times looks like he has no place on the field. That unit will have ups and downs all year long, but should improve as MCGee gets healthier and Williams and Gilmore get more playing time. Barnett is solid and had a probiwl caliber year last year. If Moats beat out Morrison that is great, Morrison will be great deth for this team as he can also play MLB and he looked pretty good last night after I tuned in. Sheppard, it seems for the most part played a solid and good game and it looks like him and Dareus got blown up at the Goal Line by the RB. That is encouraging, all along my biggest concern is that they have him calling the D plays too. Being a young player, I don't want to see him reacting to plays a half second too slow because he is thinking about the D calls...

Young brought himself back to the pack last night. It is a shame that someone with his talent can't put it together.

Ever notice how playoff hockey is much better then regular season hockey? They kick it up a notch when it counts. Its preseason. Lighten up man. And be most happy we have no injuries so far. Thats what matters in preseason

Concerns? Yeah just a few:

1) Fitz. Looks like the same QB we saw the second half of last season. Inaccurate, confused by a 3-4 D, flustered when pressured. The difference between Fitz and a great QB like Big Ben is stark.

2) Our vaulted D line was simply not a factor on the last drive of the half. Wannstache was schooled by LeBeau.

3) Aaron Williams is not the answer at corner. Speed receivers will eat him alive.

4) Oline better learn to handle a blitz or Vince Young will be playing a plenty.

Where to begin

- I dont understand why we are trying to throw downfield against a blitz then Lebow over loads like that......the answer to his blitz is a hot read or run the damn ball. That said.....people expecting Ryan Fitzpatrck to turn into Ben R. at this point are going to be dissapointed. Ben is a top QB......Fitz is a starting 2nd tier QB who plays well in the right system. Throwing deep against a blitz is not the correct system.

- Wanny did not get schooled by Lebow.....its offense against defense....and even then.....the styles of these defenses is different......therefore what the offense does to countershould also be different

- Aaron Williams needs to be matched up on the big physical wideouts and all Gilmore to work against the speed....OR they need to be very concious of giving Williams safety help much quicker....that said.....I thought Williams took a step forward last night not backward....Brooks is actually the guy who took the step backward

- I think Chan agrees with you on better blitz protection......I would throw in their that betters play calling is needed to combat blitz

That said....starters against starters we were right their........their starters played longer then ours.......Ben R. was under constant pressure and except for that drive we had him pretty much completely shut down with our starters.

On offense......we looked good to begin with till we decided to stop running the ball

I wasn't paying attention to the time and tuned in during the 3rd quarter. From what I have read about Fitz and the WRs, it wasn't a great night and the stat line shows it. I know that a goal for Gailey and the offense was to add the ability for the WRs to adjust their routes based on the D. With regard to Fitz, how many of his incompletes thrown to places were he thought the WR should be and he wasn't there? Were they timing throws?

When the WRs were running their routes were they getting much separation?

In regards to not having a great balance and Gailey wanting to game plan going into this game, it is still the preseason, no point in runnnig FJ into the ground or risk an injury to him in this type of game. They know what they have in FJ and our running game, we saw it last year. OUr WRs are more of a question mark so they naturally will be getting more work, especially if what Gailey indicated earlier regarding their ability to adjust routes based on the D. That requires them and Fitz to all make the same read and adjustments. I wish I was a fly on the wall in the locker room to know if they are making the correct reads or not, but over these past 3 games, it seems like there are still issues with the QBs and WRs getting on the same page. Tonight I expected still mostly passes, but really thought the stat line would be a bit better.

As far as the D goes, we will go as far as our DL will take us. Williams is still basically a rookie and Gilmore is. McGee is hurt and McK can loook great at times and also at times looks like he has no place on the field. That unit will have ups and downs all year long, but should improve as MCGee gets healthier and Williams and Gilmore get more playing time. Barnett is solid and had a probiwl caliber year last year. If Moats beat out Morrison that is great, Morrison will be great deth for this team as he can also play MLB and he looked pretty good last night after I tuned in. Sheppard, it seems for the most part played a solid and good game and it looks like him and Dareus got blown up at the Goal Line by the RB. That is encouraging, all along my biggest concern is that they have him calling the D plays too. Being a young player, I don't want to see him reacting to plays a half second too slow because he is thinking about the D calls...

Young brought himself back to the pack last night. It is a shame that someone with his talent can't put it together.

I would have liked to see them run Spiller more

Where to begin

- I dont understand why we are trying to throw downfield against a blitz then Lebow over loads like that......the answer to his blitz is a hot read or run the damn ball. That said.....people expecting Ryan Fitzpatrck to turn into Ben R. at this point are going to be dissapointed. Ben is a top QB......Fitz is a starting 2nd tier QB who plays well in the right system. Throwing deep against a blitz is not the correct system.

***We agree. I'm just saying you look at a franchise guy like Big Ben and Fitz...just saying. Doesn't mean he can't be effective but Chan cannot center the offense around him. Fitz can't carry it.

- Wanny did not get schooled by Lebow.....its offense against defense....and even then.....the styles of these defenses is different......therefore what the offense does to countershould also be different.

***Disagree. When our O was having success, LeBeau changed up and shut us down. Wanny did squat.

And Lebow shows all his cards all the time.......while some teams wait for the regular season to show change up pitches

Well, since Lebeau consistently has the best or among the best defenses in the NFL maybe the Bills should start copying what he's doing.