Bills 2010 Draft... really terrible

HeHateMe

After Troup going on IR for the season I was just thinking back to how awful Nix's first draft was for this team... I mean it is really terrible.

Spiller - hasn't produced enough at this point to justify the pick although a lot of upside here (best pick)

Troup - IR for 2nd straight season

Carrington - likely to be cut this year, never done anything as a Bill

Easley - injured the entire time he has been on the team, likely to be cut

Wang - trash

Moats - should make the team (2nd best pick.. not saying much)

Batten - likely to be cut

Levi Brown - trash

Calloway - trash

After cuts we are likely to only have Spiller and Moats playing this year... what a disaster this was.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give passes on Troup and Easley (due to injury), and on Carrington and Batten (due to change to 4-3 scheme).

As you said, Spiller and Moats seem like good picks, and the others are trash (though I doubt expectations could be high for them in any event).

I am not seeing where he says or implies that Spiller was a good pick.

Well the fact of the matter was that Troup and Carrington were projected to go wayyy lower than where we took them. Are the rankings always right? Of course not. But those two guys would have been there two rounds later respectively. The fact that we passed on guys like Gronkowski, Angerer and Navorro Bowman is sickening. Again, no GM is perfect but that's bad.

Well the fact of the matter was that Troup and Carrington were projected to go wayyy lower than where we took them. Are the rankings always right? Of course not. But those two guys would have been there two rounds later respectively. The fact that we passed on guys like Gronkowski, Angerer and Navorro Bowman is sickening. Again, no GM is perfect but that's bad.

Obviously, the players we picked are worse, with the exception of Spiller, but Angerer isn't that good. He's not even close to being in the same league as guys like Gronkowski and Bowman.

Obviously, the players we picked are worse, with the exception of Spiller, but Angerer isn't that good. He's not even close to being in the same league as guys like Gronkowski and Bowman.

He's a heck of a lot better than Kelvin Sheppard. Regardless, we needed a Mike Linebacker then and we still need one now.

Edited by bills1960

Another example of the Bills trying to "out-think" the rest of the NFL and every scouting service backfiring. Spiller was the BPA, so that's a solid pick, and I think he becomes a pro-bowl player, but the rest are bad. And Troup should not be given a pass for his injury problems. He had them in college.

Tom Brady was taken in what round? At some point the draft is a crap shoot. No reason that they could have known that troop and easley would have health issues.

Due diligence on Troupe. Easley no, but Troupe had back problems in college. You don't "reach" on a guy from a smaller conference with injury problems that directly impact the position he plays. Esp. when you need a TE, and the top one in the draft who is from Buffalo happens to be available.!

Another example of the Bills trying to "out-think" the rest of the NFL and every scouting service backfiring. Spiller was the BPA, so that's a solid pick, and I think he becomes a pro-bowl player, but the rest are bad. And Troup should not be given a pass for his injury problems. He had them in college.

This has been refuted time and again but here is the link anyway. Gronk had the documented back problem in college not Troup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torell_Troup#College_career

There is no argueing that this draft was terrible- it looked bad the weekend we drafted and worse now years later with the facts in.

Let's hope it was Modrak and not Buddy who thumbed his nose at "experts" and kept reaching for guys with much lower grades- we just don't know.

I think it's a bit of both- keep in mind TJ Graham wasn't rated as a 3rd rounder but here he is- let's hope for the best, but we were too terrible of a team to have another wasted draft in 2010.

A couple of thoughts

- Modrak was shown the door after this draft.....you can pin this on Nix and Gailey if you want but if you are going to do that at least give the two of them credit for the ability to recognize errors and not be to proud to admit them by making changes......just like QB edwards and that OT from the raiders. After this horrid draft Modrak was gone.

- Since that draft and truly getting settled in it looks like Nix and Gailey have followed that up with two very solid drafts. At least HUGE steps in the right direction are being taken unlike former GM and HC who have stringed bad drafts along with lackluster free agent off seasons.

So yes...the draft was bad.....but the team might actually be good

spiller was a great pick, he was a little raw his rookie year but could be really special... hes proven that...

troup- bad luck, maybe next year

carrington- i actually thought this wasnt a bad pick. he makes the team

easley- yeah, bad pick and injury issues

wang- wash

moats- great pick and can be solid on strong side along with big time ability rushing passer on the edge...

batten- would be a solid backup in a 34

it wasnt that bad...

After Troup going on IR for the season I was just thinking back to how awful Nix's first draft was for this team... I mean it is really terrible.

Spiller - hasn't produced enough at this point to justify the pick although a lot of upside here (best pick)

Troup - IR for 2nd straight season

Carrington - likely to be cut this year, never done anything as a Bill

Easley - injured the entire time he has been on the team, likely to be cut

Wang - trash

Moats - should make the team (2nd best pick.. not saying much)

Batten - likely to be cut

Levi Brown - trash

Calloway - trash

After cuts we are likely to only have Spiller and Moats playing this year... what a disaster this was.

Your thoughts?

I think the only pick in that entire draft for the Bills that panned out considering where they were drafted was Moats. Spiller has been pretty good at times, but not really when you consider where he was taken in the draft. The Buddy Machine didn't get off to a roaring start did they, let's hope when the dust settles the 2011 and 2012 drafts turn out better then that one did.

A couple of thoughts

- Modrak was shown the door after this draft.....you can pin this on Nix and Gailey if you want but if you are going to do that at least give the two of them credit for the ability to recognize errors and not be to proud to admit them by making changes......just like QB edwards and that OT from the raiders. After this horrid draft Modrak was gone.

- Since that draft and truly getting settled in it looks like Nix and Gailey have followed that up with two very solid drafts. At least HUGE steps in the right direction are being taken unlike former GM and HC who have stringed bad drafts along with lackluster free agent off seasons.

So yes...the draft was bad.....but the team might actually be good

You say that - but then you start looking back at the 2011 draft and the concerns spread out a bit. Dareus is a stud, no question - but after that, you have Aaron Williams and Kelvin Sheppard, both of whom have had awful preseasons and may be in danger of losing their jobs. Chris White and Johnny White likely both will be cut. Hairston is a decent swing tackle but that appears to be his ceiling. Jasper is gone. Searcy is a backup (so far)...

I look at Nix's first two drafts and I really have to question whether the guy knows what he's doing as a GM. I love his coaches (now, although it took a re-boot on the defensive side) and he's done a good job with UDFAs and free agents. But the good teams win on draft day - Nix has not come close to doing that yet.

It makes me sick we could have had Gronkowski. What a bunch of dopes...

Due diligence on Troupe. Easley no, but Troupe had back problems in college. You don't "reach" on a guy from a smaller conference with injury problems that directly impact the position he plays. Esp. when you need a TE, and the top one in the draft who is from Buffalo happens to be available.!

He didn't.