John Murphy

Gordio

Murph is mediocre at best and is certainly not in Van Miller's class. IMO, Van was the best!!!

But Van was pretty rough at the end. You have to be pretty sharp of mind to do play-by-play. When your faculties go, it's all downhill. Murph might want to speak to his doctor.

PTR

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van had great style, but he made a ton of mistakes. And, not just when he was older.

Like what yard line the Bill's were on. Seems to have imparted that confusion to Murph. Unrelated...can't stand Tasker's stammering delivery.

Obviously. I've always felt that Rick Jeanerette gets a little too much hype in this town (love the guy, but find him a lot over the top a lot of the time- the Pominville's population going up call used to really get under my skin), when we had what I consider to be the best NFL home announcer (obviously Al Michaels doesn't count) I have ever heard. His voice is synonymous with my childhood. "OK folks, fasten your safety belts," amongst others. I love that man. Now you see, John Murphy was his right hand man. And an amazing color guy at that. He is now a below average announcer, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because he was part of Van's team and therefore he's part of the Bills' tradition. And Mark Kelso is a very good color man IMO. Can't wait to get berated for my Jeanerette comments, but I think the guy is a little hammy not just sometimes, but often. I'm alright with Murph. He's an old school Buffalo voice. And yes, Van Miller was the freaking man. Feel sorry for the youngsters on the board who never got to hear him. Also, Ted Darling > Rick Jeanerette.

I don't mind you saying Jeanneret is overrated...if you can take me saying that Van Miller was way overrated...I like him now, more, in retrospect, because, for better or worse he was the voice of the Bills during some of their best times...but I never really cared for him. Kind of feel the same way about Larry Felzer....I hated him growing up, but appreciate him more now, just for the nostalgia aspect.

Funny growing up in WNY in the 70's, before the tv and radio broadcasts were the same for the Sabres games, I hated Jeanneret. His voice was the anti-Ted Darling (I agree...the best!) and hearing him do the games was like punishment for having to listen, rather than watch the games. Now, I like RJ. I like him because he has an old school style, and he is/was world's better than most of the other guys, doing the same thing, on NHL broadcasts around the legue.

Also, Jeanneret has a great sense of humor, and is pretty sublime at times...it isn't always silly, family friendly stuff either...remember once during an some banter in between whistles, Razor was talking about how some of the Sabres were using pink hockey sticks, to raise awareness of breast cancer...after Ray muddles through explaining (the way only Ray can muddle through) the mic goes back to RJ and he says, very matter-of factly, "well, I think healthy breasts are something we can all appreciate and get behind". IIRC, it was when Jim Lorentz was still doing color...you could hear a surpressed laugh as RJ went back to doing his play by play.

RJ is over the top, but his energy kind of matches the energy of what is (or should be) a fast, energetic and frenetic sport. Football is a little different. Sure, it is full of action, but it is much slower paced. I don't hate Murphy and Kelso, I think they are alright. Listening to other broadcast teams around the NFL, I get the feeling it isn't the easiest game to call. Voice is important, and I just think Murphs' is kind of bland. I actually think Ray Bentley sounds pretty good on the pre-seaosn broadcasts, kind of a little like Criqui, before he started sounding older.

Funny growing up in WNY in the 70's, before the tv and radio broadcasts were the same for the Sabres games, I hated Jeanneret. His voice was the anti-Ted Darling (I agree...the best!) and hearing him do the games was like punishment for having to listen, rather than watch the games. Now, I like RJ. I like him because he has an old school style, and he is/was world's better than most of the other guys, doing the same thing, on NHL broadcasts around the legue.

100% agree with this.

I have always though Murphy is bad. I like him, and his voice, but the way he calls games is poor.

He doesnt paint the picture well enough and the intensity doesnt build for each play. He needs to constantly remind the down, yards to go, etc and build to the play.

Then during the play he provides zero 'depth perception'. A caught pass is a caught pass and takes way too long to find out whether it was a 3 yard pass in the flat, or a 20 yard pass. He needs to describe the play better.

I am not a fan of Murph. Some of it was because when I met him at the fieldhouse before he was the voice of the Bills he was very rude and full of himself.

That being said, his voice isnt horrible but I agree that he is not the best play by play announcer.

Problem is, is there anyone better who could step in? I dont think so.

Van left some big shoes to fill.

CBF

didn’t listen to the gane on Friday night. But your post triggered a memory. Sometime around 1974 or ‘75, Curt Gowdy, who was calling a Bills game for NBC. I don’t recall who the opponent was, but Gowdy kept referring to Buffalo as Baltimore. So Murphy isn’t the only one.

I read that politicians, particularly Presidential candidates are advised not to mention the city they’re campaigning in during their speeches. Because they travel to so many different places, in such short periods of time, on little sleep, that it would be very easy for them to slip. And refer to Buffalo as Baltimore, for example.

But there is no excuse for professionals broadcasters like Curt Gowdy or John Murphy to make those kinds of mistakes. After all, they only do one game a week.

Obviously. I've always felt that Rick Jeanerette gets a little too much hype in this town (love the guy, but find him a lot over the top a lot of the time- the Pominville's population going up call used to really get under my skin), when we had what I consider to be the best NFL home announcer (obviously Al Michaels doesn't count) I have ever heard. His voice is synonymous with my childhood. "OK folks, fasten your safety belts," amongst others. I love that man. Now you see, John Murphy was his right hand man. And an amazing color guy at that. He is now a below average announcer, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because he was part of Van's team and therefore he's part of the Bills' tradition. And Mark Kelso is a very good color man IMO. Can't wait to get berated for my Jeanerette comments, but I think the guy is a little hammy not just sometimes, but often. I'm alright with Murph. He's an old school Buffalo voice. And yes, Van Miller was the freaking man. Feel sorry for the youngsters on the board who never got to hear him. Also, Ted Darling > Rick Jeanerette.

Sabres..........Ted Darling was the best. I agree Rick J is just over the top for my taste.

Van Miller was really good, but he held on too long and had a lot of confusing broadcast errors in his last 5-7 years. Now I didn't listen to this game in particular, but I like the work that John Murphy does

didn’t listen to the gane on Friday night. But your post triggered a memory. Sometime around 1974 or ‘75, Curt Gowdy, who was calling a Bills game for NBC. I don’t recall who the opponent was, but Gowdy kept referring to Buffalo as Baltimore. So Murphy isn’t the only one.

I read that politicians, particularly Presidential candidates are advised not to mention the city they’re campaigning in during their speeches. Because they travel to so many different places, in such short periods of time, on little sleep, that it would be very easy for them to slip. And refer to Buffalo as Baltimore, for example.

But there is no excuse for professionals broadcasters like Curt Gowdy or John Murphy to make those kinds of mistakes. After all, they only do one game a week.

In all fairness to Goudy, he was likely three sheets to the wind about halfway through the first quarter.

I once played a work pickup football game in a park near my house/work, when Kelso taught 3rd grade here. Kelso stood on the sideline and watched the entire pickup game.

I've always been dumbfounded by this. He must really love watching football.

I don't why Murph would keep calling the Viking the Dolphins. They wear purple and they play in a dome--doesn't seem like you'd get confused by that.

Let me qualify this statement, dear reader, by stating that I listened to more than half of last years games on the radio. For those games that I was able to watch on CBS, I sometimes over-broadcast the radio. Alas, I am not able to pick up FOX on the ears of my Rabbit. There are times when the national announcer is plainly worse than John and Mark, but there are times when John and Mark were to my clear and distinct ears, better. I posit that John and Mark are better than most national announcers, as a Bills fan.

Anyone remember Al Meltzer? He did the radio call from maybe '71 to '76 or so, then Van came back. Meltzer's great call was OJ's 2000 yard game against the Jet's...."OJ running left, OJ five more, maybe six......"