John Murphy

Gordio

Anyone remember Al Meltzer? He did the radio call from maybe '71 to '76 or so, then Van came back. Meltzer's great call was OJ's 2000 yard game against the Jet's...."OJ running left, OJ five more, maybe six......"

I'm very loyal to Van but I remember Meltzer and I thought that he too was an excellent play-by-play guy.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabres..........Ted Darling was the best. I agree Rick J is just over the top for my taste.

Van Miller was really good, but he held on too long and had a lot of confusing broadcast errors in his last 5-7 years. Now I didn't listen to this game in particular, but I like the work that John Murphy does

WGR played a collage of Van's call of the Houston comeback game and it was painful listening to Miller make screw-up after screw-up.

PTR

I can't believe there is so much John Murphy hate on here. I have to admit I rarely listen to the radio call, because I'm at the home games and I watch the road games on TV............But, when I have heard him he sounded pretty good.

Back in the old days, when I had to listen to Van because the game was not on TV and I was still in college without seasons, etc, he made so many mistakes it was ridiculous. I'm talking 1980. We'd joke that if he first says complete, we can count out it being incomplete.

I like Murphy's new radio show, but agree with the consensus that Murph isn't great calling the games. I actually had a similar post a year or 2 back, and many seemed to disagree with me.

I can't point my finger to exactly what's missing in his call, but it's just not as good as other teams. His excitement seems almost fake and his delivery is not all that smooth.

As I said though, I'm a big fan of his new radio show, and think he's a much better fit in that role.

I like Murphy's new radio show, but agree with the consensus that Murph isn't great calling the games. I actually had a similar post a year or 2 back, and many seemed to disagree with me.

I can't point my finger to exactly what's missing in his call, but it's just not as good as other teams. His excitement seems almost fake and his delivery is not all that smooth.

As I said though, I'm a big fan of his new radio show, and think he's a much better fit in that role.

Definitely Agree.