Lee Evans released

silvermike

If 3 teams dumping Evans doesn't abate the Lee Love then I don't think anything short of Lee himself signing a sworn affidavit admitting that he is, in fact, washed up will do it.

I really liked Lee Evans, one of my favorite Bills of the Dark Times. But it's probably time to move on. I'll be intrigued if they bring him back for a workout and interested to see for myself if he has any gas left, but if the tank's empty--- bigger fish to fry than arguing about former Bills.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If 3 teams dumping Evans doesn't abate the Lee Love then I don't think anything short of Lee himself signing a sworn affidavit admitting that he is, in fact, washed up will do it.

I really liked Lee Evans, one of my favorite Bills of the Dark Times. But it's probably time to move on. I'll be intrigued if they bring him back for a workout and interested to see for myself if he has any gas left, but if the tank's empty--- bigger fish to fry than arguing about former Bills.

Malarkey said today that he thought Evans had lost a step and was no longer able to get in and out of his breaks quick enough, and he thinks Evans knows it, too. He's probably done.

Malarkey said today that he thought Evans had lost a step and was no longer able to get in and out of his breaks quick enough, and he thinks Evans knows it, too. He's probably done.

That about seals it.

If they ever build a Mount Rushmore of overrated Bills players, Lee Evans will be the first player sculpted.

I'm not sure he'd even be in the running for the final four 'enshrinees' let alone first overall--- although it's a fairly interesting topic for a new thread, though slightly negative.

Edited by Punch

ya i would agree if not for being young is not the most important thing unless you know a guy is good and your making him sit. Is graham good? for sure? if we get to the playoffs but graham has issues, you wouldnt want a proven deep threat with hands? Lofton im sure made beebe sit more than he liked. is easley good? jones? whos the star that is going to get faster just from playing? speed isnt something that improves in practice. If lee is still fast , id take him over the guys we "hope" are good.

according to your logic, if a big crowd calls someone a criminal-then they are one, and its up to them or the quiet minority to prove otherwise? thats not how it works since the dark ages. Also, just because he was "traded" not released by the bills, and then released by two teams, still could have nothing to do with blocking and route running. You have no idea why he was released, and to say its for those reasons is a guess that satisfies the "theory" that he doesnt block or run routes. It would be so much easier if someone would provide a youtube clip of the thousands of individual plays he had as a bill, then to try to win with a long winded diatribe SJBF.

Sorry dude, right now I will take both Graham and Easley over Evans. Lee Evans is a good person, but I think his better days as a player are gone and clearly other teams agree. He may find a team that could use his skills, but I would like to see the Bills use the young players they have and I think that is what they will do.

Evans was, imo, a one trick pony. He was a speedster. I remember him lobbying for Losman at qb, who was also a one trick pony. He threw an occasional deep ball. The two of them helped each other statistically, but they didn't win football games.

Evans had blinding speed, and good (not exceptional) hands. So, what stood in his way of being s superstar? QB? A case could be made for this, but again, Losman could find him deep sometimes. I think what held him back was his inability to consistently get open, and I noticed this after he left. Players such as SJ, Nelson, and others do not have the pure speed of Evans, but they get open a lot more, or so it seems.

KTD is right. I don't know as much about the Bills as does Fred Jackson. But I make the case that even before Evans lost a step, it was hard for him to shake coverage on pass routes, other than the occasional long bomb.

I think FredEx is simply being a good friend. These guys support each other. It's hard to imagine a veteran receiver Nix traded -- ostensibly because he didn't fit in Gailey's system -- would be brought back to play in Gailey's system.

So Lee Evans plays his heart out for a team that has nothing but the worst QBs in the history of the NFL ... does so without saying a negative word ... and he gets trash-talked for it. Give me a break. Lee Evans was a great Buffalo Bill who handled himself with pure class and professionalism while he wore the uniform.

I was all for trading him, but not because I didn't like him. I just like getting something for players when they're shown the door, rather than getting nothing. And getting a 4th round pick for a damaged-goods WR was a great move. But while Lee Evans was healthy, he played his butt off.

I wish him nothing but the best and - as much as I know it's not possible - I would LOVE to see him back in Buffalo to retire as a Bill.

Go Bills!

So Lee Evans plays his heart out for a team that has nothing but the worst QBs in the history of the NFL ... does so without saying a negative word ... and he gets trash-talked for it. Give me a break. Lee Evans was a great Buffalo Bill who handled himself with pure class and professionalism while he wore the uniform.

I was all for trading him, but not because I didn't like him. I just like getting something for players when they're shown the door, rather than getting nothing. And getting a 4th round pick for a damaged-goods WR was a great move. But while Lee Evans was healthy, he played his butt off.

I wish him nothing but the best and - as much as I know it's not possible - I would LOVE to see him back in Buffalo to retire as a Bill.

Go Bills!

Did he? I think it's a fair question, particularly given the comments by Gailey prior to his trade and comments by David Nelson last month. Earlier in his career, I'm more likely to agree with you.

I carry no vitriol for Lee Evans, but I also believe he gets a little too much credit.

Did he? I think it's a fair question, particularly given the comments by Gailey prior to his trade and comments by David Nelson last month. Earlier in his career, I'm more likely to agree with you.

I carry no vitriol for Lee Evans, but I also believe he gets a little too much credit.

Definitely a fair question. His first 6 years, he played 16 games/each and had respectable numbers in all of them and a couple 1000+ yard seasons as well. With the QBs he had and on the teams he was on, I don't think it's possible to do that well without serious effort. I will say that I think his attitude went south in the end.

But looking at his entire body of work in Buffalo, I think it's beyond ridiculous for so many people to trash-talk him (not you, eball).

But as ridiculous as it is ... it's equally as typical.

first, anyone that says Evans could not or would not block, didn't watch the games very closely. He was a willing and very able blocker. pay attention.

two, i don't think the Bills management publicly said he was not willing to go across the middle or in traffic. Gailey said he needed to be better at the underneath routes.. which is pretty much jives with what Mularkey said about his release, that he could not get in and out of his breaks. unable and unwilling are two different things, since the latter seems to speak more of character.

i think it's obvious now that he likely was never great at this (breaks), but it does not mean he was unwilling. and now he's even worse at it sooo.... yeah, he's done and not coming back here. that said, why make up stuff about the guy? some people aren't happy unless they are saying negative things about someone i guess.

Definitely a fair question. His first 6 years, he played 16 games/each and had respectable numbers in all of them and a couple 1000+ yard seasons as well. With the QBs he had and on the teams he was on, I don't think it's possible to do that well without serious effort. I will say that I think his attitude went south in the end.

But looking at his entire body of work in Buffalo, I think it's beyond ridiculous for so many people to trash-talk him (not you, eball).

But as ridiculous as it is ... it's equally as typical.

Not sure if your throwing me into the trash talkers or not but I happen to agree with you only I don't think he was as good as you may think. Sure I loved him here. Glad he was here. And felt he got the crap end of the stick when it came to coaches and QBs but I still don't think he was ever anything more than a #2 at best. The funny thing, is if he would go over the middle every once in a while and you made Jim a slot WR he would have been verrry good IMO. With that said, we got something for nothing at the time, the evidence is pointing more toward him not being a team player at the end of his stay in Buffalo. The fact is 2 teams, one with horrible talent that should have kept anyone descent on thier team and another with a history of finding talent and at the same time was a GOOD WR away from making a SB run decided to cut him. This all happened in 6 months and not to much after a season long injury and trade from a team that he was a leader on. Some fans might love him and want him back but the league is speaking loud and clear, something is not right with him or he is not really what the fans see.

That's my only real issue.