Lee Evans released

silvermike

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Evans being very willing to block, and to chase and tackle when there was a turn-over. I don't remember many crossing routes. At 31 years old, i don't think that would be a good role for him now either, even if he was willing.

Lee Evans is over the football hill now so I'm probably beating a dead horse, but for the sake of argument I ask if Lee Evans isn't good blocking or going over the middle, then why does the coach insist that he do those things? Why not put him in a position to be successful?

I'm sure every team in the league would want to do that which means letting him split wide and run go routes all day. But he's a step slower than he used to be. If you don't have the rest of the route tree, that limits you in the eyes of most teams.

GO BILLS!!!

https://twitter.com/...731077430804480

I get that Lee was never great and lost a step, but I still can't believe he's dropped so far as to be essentially not a roster player in the NFL any more.

No what you and fans like you don't get is Buffalo gets guys like him (and Fitz) and keep pushing them on us as starters when they clearly aren't. The guy has never been more than a #2 tops and now he isn't good enough to make an NFL roster.

Edited by Toshiero

I can't recall Evans ever going over the middle, but I never suspected it was because he was unwilling until Chan somewhat implied it before he was traded. I had always put it down to poor offensive design and failure to maximize the team's talent by the likes of Kevin Gilbride, Mike Mularkey, and the offensive geniuses of "Pop Gun" Jauron.

No what you and fans like you don't get is Buffalo gets guys like him (and Fitz) and keep pushing them on us as starters when they clearly aren't. The guy has never been more than a #2 tops and now he isn't good enough to make the Ravens roster.

Where have you been? He's now not good enough to make it on the Jaguars roster. Gosh, catch up with the times!

I remember Evans being very willing to block, and to chase and tackle when there was a turn-over. I don't remember many crossing routes. At 31 years old, i don't think that would be a good role for him now either, even if he was willing.

I'd agree with this, as well, from recollection.

I can't recall Evans ever going over the middle, but I never suspected it was because he was unwilling until Chan somewhat implied it before he was traded. I had always put it down to poor offensive design and failure to maximize the team's talent by the likes of Kevin Gilbride, Mike Mularkey, and the offensive geniuses of "Pop Gun" Jauron.

There is no doubt that the biggest hindrance to Evans' career was lack of a top QB to get him the ball. I'll agree on Jauron's offenses but Gilbride and Mularkey were and are very good schematic coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

Really? That's three teams (including the Bills) that he can't stick with. Really? That's 3 opinions of his ability that are negative. Do you know more than 3 NFL teams?

id take him back. hes still better than donald duck, and if graham drops a long td pass I know we'll all be wishing it was sill evans hauling it in. I still think hes fast. Who says hes lost a step? which one of you timed his last 40? I dont trust the jags talent selection much either. look at gabbert.

Well we're up to two issues now… blocking, and the willingness to go over the middle.

Rhetorically speaking, what if someone asked you to provide proof that Evans will go over the middle?

Who bears the burden of proof on this?

I will say this. Most wideouts who are fearless have the reputation of being fearless. Not every wideout is comfortable going over the middle and sacrificing his body so in that sense, Evans is not necessarily in the minority.

nice double talk, of course you can argue that both ways, i didnt make the point that he did or didnt, i asked for proof that he didnt. In life, if you commit a crime, you need proof to convict. You dont need proof to say someones not a criminal, ever. So the point is still valid. wheres the proof that he didnt block or go over the middle or was afraid, like people say? And as usual you are posting just to post, without contributing a stat, fact or even some general history to back up your opinion. I really dont know what your opinion even is SJBF.

There is no doubt that the biggest hindrance to Evans' career was lack of a top QB to get him the ball. I'll agree on Jauron's offenses but Gilbride and Mularkey were and are very good schematic coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

What I recall from the Gilbride era is that the passing routes were unnecessarily complex and slow developing which was a poor fit for our offensive line and the 6'5" block of granite then standing behind center. IMHO, we didn't have the talent to fit his schemes and he never adjusted. I put this failing on Greggo as much as on Gilbride himself--- Coughlin has kept him under a much closer watch and the results have been better, although a much better QB is of course part of the equation.

I may have unfairly lumped in Mularkey as Lee's best success came under him, but he never really evolved into much of anything more than a pure deep threat. Perhaps that's all he was capable of in the NFL.

Really? That's three teams (including the Bills) that he can't stick with. Really? That's 3 opinions of his ability that are negative. Do you know more than 3 NFL teams?

no i dont, but if another team picks him up, does that mean I DO KNOW MORE? maybe he was let go to let younger guys play. I also think hes better than TJ graham who was drafted soley due to speed. I think hes better than D jones too. So it doesnt matter about 3 teams, it matters about 32 teams and this years bills team, last years bills really f'd up letting evans go and relying on Jones, parrish and easley instead. How well did they block? how often did they go over the middle?

Trent edwards even got picked up, which proves one teams decision to cut or sign a player means absolutely nothing!

If Lee Evans wouldn't block, and wouldn't go over the middle and didn't fit Chan Gailey's offense do you really think Fred Jackson, who would know the answers to those questions far better than anyone on this board, would say he wants him back, and "he could help us" regardless of Jackson's friendship with him?

Personally, I think Evans has probably lost a step. With Graham having speed, I'm not sure he would help us too much, at the expense of a guy I like like Easley.

But I think it's pretty obvious that it was not an issue that he didn't block, or didnt fit the offense, if Fred, who greatly benefits from WR blocks, would want him back on the team and playing.

I imagine that Nix and Gailey will discuss it but decide they are going to keep the guys they have to fight it out. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they think about bringing him back. Even if just for a workout and a 40 timing.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

no i dont, but if another team picks him up, does that mean I DO KNOW MORE? maybe he was let go to let younger guys play. I also think hes better than TJ graham who was drafted soley due to speed. I think hes better than D jones too. So it doesnt matter about 3 teams, it matters about 32 teams and this years bills team, last years bills really f'd up letting evans go and relying on Jones, parrish and easley instead. How well did they block? how often did they go over the middle?

Trent edwards even got picked up, which proves one teams decision to cut or sign a player means absolutely nothing!

Get over it dude.....have a good cry and move on. So we should sit young guys so Lee can play? How about we play our young guys so they can get better?

Every player in the NFL wouldn't be a fit on each of the NFL's 32 teams, right? The fact that Evan's has been cut by 3 teams in essentially one calendar could mean A) his playing style didn't quite fit with those teams B) it's a number's game and he's the odd man out perhaps due to age C) he's lost a step, negating his one true advantage or D) he's actually a closet douche bag.

I wouldn't say Lee Evans on last year's roster would have demonstrably altered the course of the 2011 season, but it did potentially positively affect the 2012 season and beyond by providing several young WRs with experience that will help the team.

If Lee Evans wouldn't block, and wouldn't go over the middle and didn't fit Chan Gailey's offense do you really think Fred Jackson, who would know the answers to those questions far better than anyone on this board, would say he wants him back, and "he could help us" regardless of Jackson's friendship with him?

What is he supposed to say? "Yeah, that guy is done. Huh? Would I want him back? Uhh...yeah...no"

Or maybe he wasn't that good to begin with? I've always wondered why he never ran any other routes other than a go-route. He's always been a one trick pony like maybin is on defense. Maybin just runs full speed and that's pretty much what Evans does. It's been shown that WRs who run slower but run better routes will outlast a burner in this league.