Maybin getting a lot of NY hype

.... but the kid worked hard and has had struggles in his personal life since entering the league ....

Was that when the mirror told him he wasn't the fairest of them all?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I don't get why everyone bashes former Bill players once they leave.

How many sacks did he have last year?

How many did our top rushers?

We can talk trash all day long, but Maybin has been productive for the Jets. He didn't fit our team, but he seems to be working there.

Totally agree.

The bottomline with Maybin remains... He didnt put in the effort here, getting cut was a huge wakeup call for him; he may or not may make it now. It's all a hobby for him now anyways, the money is in the bank so to say.

I don't think Maybin didn't put forth the effort here...I think he's a 100% Grade A dumbass. Listen to some of his quotes now -- the guy is a moron and he's in complete denial about why he didn't stick with the Bills. The Jets have completely dumbed-down his responsibilities. His assignment is basically this -- "run fast and chase guy holding ball."

I remember talking to some guys i stil know on staff for Buffalo back in 2010 when Buffalo played here in Atlanta.

I asked them about Maybin, what the deal was? They told me he might be one of the dumbest players they have ever been around in all their years. I bring this up not to knock him, but to point out i do not think he could pick up the play book. In NY he is being asked to do one thing, line up at OLB and rush the passer. Do not worry about if a TE is here or rb there. Just watch the snap and then go all out to the QB. hand it to Rex and his staff, they saw his strength(notice it is singular) and his weaknesses(plural). They then put him in a position to excel.

How many sacks did he have last year?

How many did our top rushers?

We can talk trash all day long, but Maybin has been productive for the Jets. He didn't fit our team, but he seems to be working there.

Answer to question 1: 6

Answer to question 2: 5.5

Does comparing Maybin to the Bills abysmal defense make any sense? How many sacks would he have had for the Bills last season? Are his sacks a product of the 5th best defense last year or his talent? Whats worse: Maybin, an OLB, on the 5th best defense leading the Jest in sacks with 6 or the fact that the Bills sack leader was a DT?

The question game is fun

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Does comparing Maybin to the Bills abysmal defense make any sense? How many sacks would he have had for the Bills last season? Are his sacks a product of the 5th best defense last year or his talent? Whats worse: Maybin, an OLB, on the 5th best defense leading the Jest in sacks with 6 or the fact that the Bills sack leader was a DT?

The question game is fun

I'm pretty sure the Jets' D never would have finished 5th if not for the mighty Maybin!

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think Maybin didn't put forth the effort here...I think he's a 100% Grade A dumbass. Listen to some of his quotes now -- the guy is a moron and he's in complete denial about why he didn't stick with the Bills. The Jets have completely dumbed-down his responsibilities. His assignment is basically this -- "run fast and chase guy holding ball."

Thread/

He was battling an illness if I am not mistaken which was the reason for the weight loss that last TC.

And I didnt say the staff did anything wrong. I said they took an approach of either you fit our scheme or you don't rather than try and put him in a position to maximize what he can do. That doesnt mean our staff did something wrong, I love what they have done with our D. What I mean is that Maybin was not given an opportunity to do what he does best. They wanted him to be something he wasn't and it didn't work out. The Jets have decided to put Maybin in position to excel at what he can do, speed rush, rather than force him into being a player he isn't.

Derrick Thomas was known as mostly a one trick pony of sacking the QB too, and he was a dominant force teams had to game plan for. Maybin is no Derrick Thomas, but if he can prove he can get to the QB and get there fast with consistency, then teams will have to slide attention toward him freeing up other members of the D.

Its about being a disruption, and if they can harness Maybins speed to be a disruption then that is a valuable commodity for any D coordinator. He looked a lot worse when he was sitting on the sidelines...he never got a chance to play here, and maybe if he did he wouldn't have looked so useless.

Clearly, he isnt as useless as Bills fans want to make him out to be when he had more sacks and forced fumbles in limited time than any player on our D since 2009.

while i agree that you have to put players in spots to succeed.... generally i dont think that spot existed on this team with his history here, and his limited role. i think the way to maximize his impact was to let him go. the message that sent was probably as effective as 6 sacks on 185 pass rushes. further, even given that rusher role.... i dont think he gets to the 6 sack mark on this team. watching those plays.... so many were just the qb holding the ball sooooo long. it appeared more than one he was washed out of the play so far that the qb probably thought he was gone and the blocker had moved to new assignments. thats not an effective long term role to fill.

as to his weight.... unfortunately for him, theres been a reason or excuse every time. he bulks up then sheds it all. hes never held it more than a few months (weeks really). after awhile, i think its fair to question if illness was really the cause or if its just not a build his body can actually maintain.

Edited by NoSaint

The question game is fun

A situational pass rusher did better than our starters. I'm not claiming he's great. But c'mon, lets be realistic. 6 sacks is a decent amount for a part time player. Again, I'm not saying he's great, or that he fits our team, but to have this stupid little circle jerk about a former player seems pointless. Though, it seems to be the norm here. The Jets have shown they are better than us, and Maybin performed better in an important statistical category while playing part time than our best players last year. We need to be a little more humble, imo.

Now this year, I am fully confident we'll have more success, but we still haven't earned the right to be so confident in our trash talking that we partake in here.

It's funny how people want to compare what a player does for one team versus another. Maybin was drafted by the bills to be a DE. That's where he practiced and that's where he played when he was on the field for this team. For the Jets, he's playing OLB in a 3-4 system, and is a situational player. He's dropped 20+ pounds from his playing weight with the Bills and is only asked to rush the passer. This is one of those situations that reminds me of that old saying "figures lie and liars figure". I.e. he was drafted by the Bills with the expectation of being a starting defensive end, and drafted high at that. The fact that he's had moderate success as a situational/backup player shouldn't bother anyone. Buffalo paid him over $15 million for two years and he had 24 tackles and no sacks. The Jets are paying Maybin $1.015 million on a one year deal and he had 11 tackles and 6 sacks last season. At least that contract mirrors his limited productivity.

Right. Like I said, he DID NOT fit our team.

He fits the Jets.

Because a player doesn't fit the Bills, or doesn't find success on the Bills doesn't mean that they suck, are worthless, or whatever other automatic insult we throw out here. If he was really that bad, he wouldn't be playing on a decent team, making productive plays.

He fits the Jets.

Because a player doesn't fit the Bills, or doesn't find success on the Bills doesn't mean that they suck, are worthless, or whatever other automatic insult we throw out here. If he was really that bad, he wouldn't be playing on a decent team, making productive plays.

He was really that bad at defensive end and has never shown that he can play that position in the NFL. He's shown that when you really dumb down what you ask him to do and be a one dimensional player that he can do that at OLB in a 3-4 system, that he can be marginally useful. Let's not forget that he lead the Jets in sacks with only 6.0 last season. What does that say for the Jets starters? I guess by inference, they must be bad as well.

He fits the Jets.

Just remember, the team he's playing for CUT him after last season's training camp. Maybin is not an instinctual or intelligent player. The Jets are fortunate the rest of their defense is strong enough they could afford to bring in a one-trick pony on 3rd downs.

I can only hope they "expand" Maybin's role this year...and teams will be foolish not to run screens and draws at Maybin's side when he's rushing on 3rd down.