What is your favorite Sitcom Ever

millbank

shot box talking, naming Gold Standard of Sitcoms. I Love Lucy, Honeymooners, All In The Family, ect..... there are many over the years. What is your personal favorite of all time, and secondarily name a top ten list of greatest sit com of all time. Also can you remember a particular episode of one, that you remember as the funniest of them all?

Me Newhart, Mash, Honeymooners, Taxi, wkrp amongst the top.... a volume to choose from between :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so many to choose from, ones that I will always watch when they are on, off the top of my head, Dick Van Dyke Show, Andy Griffith Show, Scrubs, Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Yes Dear. I know there are others out there, but for my viewing pleasure those are at the top of my list, even over shows like Seinfeld, Mash, All in the Family.

My favorites in no particular order:

M*A*S*H

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Night Court

WKRP in Cincinnati

Pushing Daisies

Cheers

Seinfeld

How I Met Your Mother

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Edited by Mark Vader

Honeymooners

Cheers

Seinfeld

Mary Tyler Moore

All in the Family

Taxi

Dick Van Dyke

Newhart

WKRP

M*A*S*H

*** no particular order, necessarily, but close to that order.

This is tough...but chronologically:

Honeymooners

Leave It to Beaver

Andy Griffith

Mary Tyler Moore

The Bob Newhart Show (the original 70's one, where he plays a shrink)

MASH

All In the Family

Taxi

Cheers

Roseanne

Larry Sanders

Seinfeld

Edited by Buftex

I didn't include Simpsons because it's a cartoon, otherwise it would be on the list. I also didn't include psych because I stuck to the 30 minute format otherwise that would also be on the list for me!

Mine will look a bit like Sage's:

The Simpsons

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Arrested Development

Psych (probably not exactly a sitcom but oh well)

Seinfeld

No love for The Simpsons?

My top 5...bear in mind, I'm too young for anything before the mid-90's.

1. Arrested Development

2. Louie3. Simpsons

4. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

5. Community

I didn't include anything current on my list. I just started watching "Louie" and I really have enjoyed it...but this is a new phase of sitcom...is it a sitcom? Is it a dramady? Not a criticism, just an observation...the rules of the sitcom are being redefined. This past weeks "Louie" (where he goes to Miami) was pretty much devoid of any humor (except when he is on the stage), but was still, somehow, humorous. Can't explain it...

I didn't include anything current on my list. I just started watching "Louie" and I really have enjoyed it...but this is a new phase of sitcom...is it a sitcom? Is it a dramady? Not a criticism, just an observation...the rules of the sitcom are being redefined. This past weeks "Louie" (where he goes to Miami) was pretty much devoid of any humor (except when he is on the stage), but was still, somehow, humorous. Can't explain it...

I did a write up on that episode.

http://www.entertainment-bureau.com/louie-review-episode-3-03-miami/2399

I thought it was pretty funny stuff. The typical TV comedy is farcical in nature (sight gags, one liners, misunderstandings), which I think is why watching something more absurdist and pensive is a shock to the system.

Most, if not all of these have already been mentioned, but here goes:

Cheers

WRRP in Cincinnati

SOAP

Police Squad

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Newhart

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sports Night

Taxi

The Odd Couple

Honorable Mentions:

The Cosby Show

Family Ties

Night Court

M*A*S*H

Gilligan's Island

The Addams Family

The Munsters

I Love Lucy

The Honeymooners

EDIT: The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis I forgot to include Arrested Development. Sorry Maynard.

Nearly added Northern Exposure to the honorable mentions list, but it was an hour long and not really a true 'sit com' and it was only good the 1st 3 or so seasons; it then got REEEAAALY bad.

Edited by Taro T

Addams Family

Munsters

Andy Griffith

I Love Lucy

Leave it to Beaver

Hogan's Heros

Dick Van Dyke

Bob Newhart

Get Smart (probably my number one)

McHale's Navy (why not with just having lost Ernest Bornine)

Flintstones (if I were not to include the above)

Highlighted ones not yet mentioned.........I think.

Funny you can tell the age of the posters by their picks. All of mine where in black in white for at least the first season except for Bob Newhart and the Flintstones.

Edited by Chef Jim

I'm also too young to go back much farther than the 90's, and I'm going to stretch the term "sitcoms" a bit, but mine in no particular order goes:

Seinfeld

Fresh Prince of Bel Aire

Friends

The Office

Breaking Bad (not a sitcom, but I love this show too much to not put it here)

Trailer Park Boys

Reno 911 is hysterical

Workaholics

I took time today to think of it. In order as best I could by debut:

Twilight Zone

Beverly Hillbillies

Andy Griffith

Married With Children

Saved By The Bell (my generation)

Wonder Years

Simpsons

South Park

Family Guy

Scrubs

Edited by jboyst62

Surprised no one has mentioned it. Frasier. What, it didn't win enough Emmys? It was many times better than it's offshoot source.

Ten years ago this would've been sacrilege, but Seinfeld has NOT aged well. Not at all.

M*A*S*H is eminently watchable still. A few people thought they were bigger than the show, but Alan Alda's Hawkeye made it what it was. He was a perfect match for that kind of character.

I loved the British series Yes, Minister / Yes, Prime Minister. Comedy gold.

I was a little young to get everything, but I remember Night Court pretty fondly.

The reverse of Seinfeld, I think The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has aged well, for what it was.