What is your favorite Sitcom Ever

millbank

You know, it's WAY over-used, but in this case it applies with how I look at Seinfeld now --- 9/11 changed everything about that show. Whenever I catch a bit of it in syndication, it's like a time capsule now. These four totally narcissistic self-ensconced people. Maybe I would see it differently in 50 years, maybe later generations will be able to appreciate it w/o connecting it to that day and everything that went on... but I doubt it.

The city, which was itself a character on that show as much as the Island was a character on LOST, in reality proved that either everything had changed or it wasn't that way to begin with. I can appreciate that they really applied the meta-criticism themselves and accepted the mantle that it was a "show about nothing." But at the same time, it really confined itself to its own very small corner of history.

I think you are underrating Seinfeld a bit...I think it ages quite well.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the same thing.

In fact, the only time I ever thought it didn't was, ironically, in the finale. When cell phone condolences are a feux pas. Yeah, that doesn't quite hold up today.

On the whole, it doesn't seem so silly today as many sitcoms of that era do.

I was reading through this thread trying to think of anything I could add to this thread... and then you nail it with the last post I read. Married with Children was amazing.

Other than that, I would list a whole lot of what has been said already:

Cheers

Seinfeld

Fresh Prince

Thanks. I loved the hot babes they would show almost every week on married with children.

Who doesnt know Al bundy?

Let me add Petticoat Junction. As a young lad the opening theme song with them naked in the water tower was something to look forward to every week.

Never heard of this show.

Let me vote for Frasier, too. I was really late to that show, but it was really good. I'd say it was MTM show good. Probably even a little funnier. Awesome writing.

I actually never even gave it a chance. After 5 minutes I was bored. I hated the intro of that show.

The show may be good. But I pass.

Ps. Care to explain what mtm good means.

Seinfeld is classic for so many reasons.

It has almost all the types of comedy.

Wow none of you guys or gals mentioned Monty Python's Flying Circus? I got hooked on them on PBS from Buffalo in 70's. The milkman skit sticks out in my mind as hilarious. Benny Hill could be funny at times. As for America shows there are so many funny shows, Trailer Park Boys, All in the Family, Two and Half Men, Mash

Thanks. I loved the hot babes they would show almost every week on married with children.

Who doesnt know Al bundy?

Never heard of this show.

I actually never even gave it a chance. After 5 minutes I was bored. I hated the intro of that show.

The show may be good. But I pass.

Ps. Care to explain what mtm good means.

Seinfeld is classic for so many reasons.

It has almost all the types of comedy.

MTM show = Mary Tyler Moore Show

Well, at least you gave Frasier 5 minutes! LOL

Sitcom is short for Situational Comedy. I believe that Monty Python is all about situational comedy.

I'd call Python sketch comedy. Sitcom has the same characters put into different situations.

Nobody's mentioned SNL here either.

MTM show = Mary Tyler Moore Show

Well, at least you gave Frasier 5 minutes! LOL

And, I think it is important to point out to the young whipper-snappers...the people who braught you "Mary Tyler Moore" (James Burrows, Glen & Les Charles) were responsible for "Taxi", original "Bob Newhart" show, and "Cheers" as well...I don't think they were as invovlved with "Frasier" during its' run..other than creating the character for "Cheers".

I have to admit, I was never a regular "Frasier" viewer, though I have seen a handful of episodes over the years, mostly in syndication. It is pretty good...good, adult sitcoms are hard to come by. It's one of those shows I always think of going back to watch at some point... I never wathced it when it was current, but that was mostly because it was a spinoff of "Cheers" which, for me, was awesome when Shelly Long was on it...and just got increasingly un-funny after she left (Kristy Alley was awful on that show) ...to the point where I just stopped watching it...the same thing that appears to be happening to "The Office" right now!

Edited by Buftex

And, I think it is important to point out to the young whipper-snappers...the people who braught you "Mary Tyler Moore" (James Burrows, Glen & Les Charles) were responsible for "Taxi" and "Cheers" as well...I don't think they were as invovlved with "Frasier" during its' run..other than creating the character for "Cheers".

I have to admit, I was never a regular "Frasier" viewer, though I have seen a handful of episodes over the years, mostly in syndication. It is pretty good...good, adult sitcoms are hard to come by. It's one of those shows I always think of going back to watch at some point... I never wathced it when it was current, but that was mostly because it was a spinoff of "Cheers" which, for me, was awesome when Shelly Long was on it...and just got increasingly un-funny after she left (Kristy Alley was awful on that show) ...to the point where I just stopped watching it...the same thing that appears to be happening to "The Office" right now!

Michael Scott's farewell episode should have been the series finale - part of making a great thing is knowing when to quit.

Monty uses the same actors in every show.

Same actors, yes...but not the same characters every week, and rarely the same situation....I love "Mr Show" as well, and thought about putting it on my list...it is very similar, in some ways, to Monty Python...sort of stream of consciousness humour that goes from point A, all over the alphabet, but always ends up at point A again... not sure if it is sketch comedy, but, I don't think of it as a sitcom either.