What is your favorite Sitcom Ever

millbank

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody looked older years ago! MTM was closer to 35 when the piolt was shot... Son't get me wrong she looks great, but IMO looks older than 30 (as stated in the pilot).

What - you're saying that Asner was 5 years older than MTM in that clip?

Do you watch Peep Show? I love it.

The first few seasons of Peep Show were absolute genius but I think it's gone on a bit too long now (what are they on now - 7? 8?). It's still funny but it feels like they've done everything now and are starting to repeat themselves.

Haven't seen anybody mention The Red Green Show. Somehow that one should have ended up on my list as well.

Agree with those that liked Green Acres. And am absolutely in shock that I forgot to include Bundy's, oops Married, with Children.

Bundy's have to knock something out of the top 10. Probably Sports Night.

Haven't seen anybody mention The Red Green Show. Somehow that one should have ended up on my list as well.

Agree with those that liked Green Acres. And am absolutely in shock that I forgot to include Bundy's, oops Married, with Children.

Bundy's have to knock something out of the top 10. Probably Sports Night.

At first I wouldn't consider Red Green a sitcom. It did have a theme that was carried through but there were also several skits thrown in along the way. Don't get me wrong it's a great show but not what I'd put in the sitcom catigory.

The first few seasons of Peep Show were absolute genius but I think it's gone on a bit too long now (what are they on now - 7? 8?). It's still funny but it feels like they've done everything now and are starting to repeat themselves.

Agreed to some extent, but they don't beat the dead horse quite so much as some American shows. The 6 episodes per season system is something I admire about British TV.

Canadian show. On PBS a lot, or at least it used to me.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Didn't realize it... The show I thought of when you guys mentioned Red Green Show, was Hee Haw... I didn't realize that much of Hee Haw was a Canadian creation (source from Wiki)...

Wow... I am giving Crayonz some ammo here.

At first I wouldn't consider Red Green a sitcom. It did have a theme that was carried through but there were also several skits thrown in along the way. Don't get me wrong it's a great show but not what I'd put in the sitcom catigory.

In a broad sense I would consider it a sitcom. Though I didn't consider SCTV to be a sitcom, even though it had a similar premise. It might not meet the technical qualification, but I'd maintain it does. The actors maintain the same character in each episode (unlike SCTV where actors would portray multiple roles, some of them completely non-recurring) and there is definitely a situation that lends to the comedy - lodge members to an obscure Canadian town's version of the Moose putting on a (public access) television show. Yes there were skits, but the characters in them were always playing the same character.

Btw, did you know that Ranger Gord was Sam Malone's neighbor that bought his 'Vette and was married to kindergarden teacher Dana Delaney?

Remember, I'm pulling for you; we're all in this together.

Keep your stick on the ice.

In a broad sense I would consider it a sitcom. Though I didn't consider SCTV to be a sitcom, even though it had a similar premise. It might not meet the technical qualification, but I'd maintain it does. The actors maintain the same character in each episode (unlike SCTV where actors would portray multiple roles, some of them completely non-recurring) and there is definitely a situation that lends to the comedy - lodge members to an obscure Canadian town's version of the Moose putting on a (public access) television show. Yes there were skits, but the characters in them were always playing the same character.

Btw, did you know that Ranger Gord was Sam Malone's neighbor that bought his 'Vette and was married to kindergarden teacher Dana Delaney?

Remember, I'm pulling for you; we're all in this together.

Keep your stick on the ice.

SCTV was more Sketch comedy then sitcom. Red Green (the master of Duct Tape) was closer to being a sitcom although its still in that grey area I would think. It was a show about a show being broadcast from "Possum Lodge" about the members of a lodge in a small Northern Ontario town. The guy who played his nephew Harold (with his "Keytar" type device to run the show)has been in a bunch of other shows and is a pretty good serious actor

As for whats a sitcom, and whats not, Basically a Sitcom is a television show (typically a comedy with a 30 minute run time) involving the same cast of characters in a storyline for the full run time of the show. The episode involves the characters being dealing with the same situation or teh cast divided up dealing with seperate situations for the full run time. It takes place using the same sets and locations for the majority of the episode and usually the show has a theme to it. The show can be live action or even an "adult" cartoon.

The Sitcom seems to be a dying genre these days, with the peak probably being in the 80's and 90's.

I will agree with teh person who mentioned "3rd Rock from the Sun", I thought it was a good sitcom and anything with John Lithgow usually ends up being good.

Another thread that could spin off of this thread would be your favorite Sitcom Theme song.....