Former WR Josh Reed Slams Buffalo

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.lsureveille.com/sports/2011/03/01/qa-with-former-lsu-wide-receiver-josh-reed/

Q: What was life in the NFL like?

A: “It might be different in other cities but you know, Buffalo is in Western New York. It, really as far as the layout, the landscape and the area was kind of like the South, in New York. It’s not anything like the city. It’s real laid back in the country, but the people are horrible. As far as getting in trouble in Buffalo or socially, there’s nothing to do. You go to practice and go home. In eight years we never made the playoffs and didn’t have much success, so the fans are brutal. They sit here and say they have the best fans and have the best food. No. Coming from Louisiana where you have great weather, you can go outside 90 percent of the time. The people here are just friendly; you don’t even have to know somebody. If you say,’Hello,’ they’re going to say, ‘Hello,’ back; they may even start up a conversation. Up there, you say, ‘Hello,’ they’re like, ‘What do you mean, hello?’ It’s just like if they’re so miserable up here, then move.”

Many people will be offended, but he is absolutely right. I love Buffalo and the people in it with all of my heart, but it truly is an acquired taste. You either grew up here or you didn't. That's it.

I'm curious to ask how many people that have posted in this thread actually live in the city, meaning you have BUFFALO as your city on your drivers license...

This is as stupid as the article and in may ways more ignorant.

I am a transplant but went to both Buffalo State for undergrad and UB for grad school and live in Western NY. But I am not allowed to be perturbed by this? Shut the hell up.

<< Quoting Josh Reed: "In eight years we never made the playoffs and didn’t have much success..." >>

And you were part of the team those eight years, which means you were part of why the bills sucked, too. Which essentially means that YOU suck.

Coming from this guy -- who shouldn't even be in the NFL because he's horrendous -- This shouldn't offend anyone, IMO.

BA

It all comes with a team in the NFL. It makes no difference which city you live in somebody will find fault with it.

Ever been to Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Miami ?

I take Buffalo over any City.

ANY city? Get out much??

ANY city? Get out much??

No, I have never left Buffalo. I once took a trip to Ollcott , ah the memories!

We took the stagecoach right after the Civil War. Had lunch in Lockport and it cost us 15 cents, beautiful city

Edited by HOUSE

http://blogs.lsureveille.com/sports/2011/03/01/qa-with-former-lsu-wide-receiver-josh-reed/

Q: What was life in the NFL like?

A: “It might be different in other cities but you know, Buffalo is in Western New York. It, really as far as the layout, the landscape and the area was kind of like the South, in New York. It’s not anything like the city. It’s real laid back in the country, but the people are horrible. As far as getting in trouble in Buffalo or socially, there’s nothing to do. You go to practice and go home. In eight years we never made the playoffs and didn’t have much success, so the fans are brutal. They sit here and say they have the best fans and have the best food. No. Coming from Louisiana where you have great weather, you can go outside 90 percent of the time. The people here are just friendly; you don’t even have to know somebody. If you say,’Hello,’ they’re going to say, ‘Hello,’ back; they may even start up a conversation. Up there, you say, ‘Hello,’ they’re like, ‘What do you mean, hello?’ It’s just like if they’re so miserable up here, then move.”

Eh, just another underperforming player blaming his lack of effort on those around him.

They didn't say hello back bc people you knew you were sucking it on the field.

Idk what the Hell Josh Reed is talking about... I really liked him as a player for us also... I'm from Queens N.Y. home of some of the rudest people in the world... People wake up here with a face as if they just smelled manure...

Every time I take a trip out to Buffalo (twice a year), I receive nothing but love from gas station clerks or just plain old pedestrians on the street... The McKelvin lawn ripping thing bothered me a bit but Josh is way out of line...

Many people will be offended, but he is absolutely right. I love Buffalo and the people in it with all of my heart, but it truly is an acquired taste. You either grew up here or you didn't. That's it.

Eric Moulds and Takeo Spikes didn't... they were from the Deep South... Josh Reed has the problem, not anyone else.

ANY city? Get out much??

We get it. You hate Buffalo. You make it very well known. I'm sorry your experiences were so miserable here. But just like you hate it, other people love it. Not everyone loves SF or NYC. It's crazy to think, but people have different things they value in life. Buffalo definitely has it's faults and we're oversensitive. But it's like a big brother and little brother. I can beat the hell out of him but if you touch him it's on. I will defend the city to my death and even if it isn't for everyone, I'm damn proud of it.

And was there a more worthless Bill than Josh Reed? The only reason I didn't completely hate the guy was he was a pretty decent guy when I met him a few times. And for someone who hate Buffalo, he was always out, hitting on everything. It's also hilarious that he was so miserable here, yet he re-signed.

Buffaloians probably should stop being so sensitive but I love that attitude. All you can do is show others how great of a place it is when they come here. The AAA all star game was raved about. I recently had a guest from NC who has never been here fall in love with the place.

So Josh, great job crapping on the city that paid you millions for your awful impression of a NFL player. Perhaps the reason we didn't make the playoffs is because we spend high picks on guys like you. It's funny that a 7th rounder like Stevie Johnson can't say enough good things about the city. Maybe because he's actually good at his job? Either way, continue to change the world with that amazing General Studies degree from that academic powerhouse LSU.

Life goes on and Josh Reed can't stop it. Buffalo is an acquired taste I guess.

Face it Josh, there are two kinds of people who live in WNY, lucky one and smart ones.

The lucky ones were born here (but too often do not realize how lucky they were unitl they were forced (usually due to lack of employment) to move elsewhere. It really is quite amazing here a significant # of people wish desperately to come back home after they experience the real world.

The smart ones are those who for whatever reason choose to move to Buffalo and find a way to enjoy the significant advantages of living in WNY versus living in the real world.

Make no mistake, there are certainly challenges to living here (high among them in terms of specific problems for many residents and for the prospect of keeping young people here is the lack of easy to find paying jobs (which actually is a challenge most places).

However, when one stacks up the advantages such as am incredibly short commute times (when you get in a car in DC, NYC or any big town you need to figure on spending at least half an hour in your car even for trips to nearby locations (in DC for example even a short 10 minute drive usually comes with the drive being longer than 10 minutes due to traffic and more than that due to parking needs.

In Buffalo, 20 minutes usually gets you about anywhere in WNY. Parking can be a challenge almost anywhere but it is magitudees worse in most big cities compared to Buffalo.

There also is a significant cost difference to living in Buffalo in particular when one looks at housing. When I moved to Buffalo from DC, a friend asked me to compare the cost of housing in a comparable nneighborhood to DC.

My response was first there are not really comparable neighborhoods in these cities with different economic bases.

Second, there is a general comparison which one can make between houses which are in an urban context (walkable neighborhoods, easier access to public transportation, and more diverse relatively close by choices for entertainment, restaurants and the like which come from any urban population concentration or a more suburban car oriented culture of less reported crime and more of a sense of your home as a castle which comes with any suburban living.

Though not wholy transferable for comparison sake, basically back in the early 90s you are talking about buy one and get one free to acquire similar neighborhood demographics in WNY vs. Buffalo. In fact as housing prices went up in DC consistently under Bush/Cheney it really was buy one get three for the same price as the DC metro area.

Even with the downturn in general housing values we saw after the crash which began on the Bush/Cheney eatch and we have recovered some but not completely or fast enough for most under Obama/Biden though national product costs are relatively similar there is still a significant cost advantage for living in WNY for location specific pricing like housing.

You simply get better cost issues (even with NYS taxes being higher this in no way equals and economic advantages of the cheaper housing and those taxes do pay for far better public schooling and other amenities in NYS rather than in #49 in most social measures found in Louisiana (thank gosh for MS or it would be #50).

At any rate, I have lived significant time in the NE and also the MW (time in Chicago and in Sr. Louis for an extended stay. i also lived in SF for a while. Overall, I can remember at least passing through on the ground in 47 pf the 50 states so I have at least seen a lot. I have some bias in terms of liking urban living but I can easily say that if one can find the right work situation that life in Buffalo presents stark amd measurable advantages to life in other towns and areas!

Reed may find more appeal in LA than in NY (though my sense is that he actually has one of the more skewed assessments of life since as a well-regarded football player his experience is further from the norm than almost anyone. One also sees the weather bias in his comments (although ironically Buffalo actually has at least a comparable if not better record of sunlight reaching the ground than LA. LA id closer to the equator so it gets more raw sunlight than Buffalo, but actually for a good chunk of the year, more sunlight reaches the ground in Buffalo as its days are measurably longer in the winter (though this is balanced by being measurably shorter in the winter. However, the national weather service will tell you more sunlight actually reaches the ground as the lake effect (a temperature differential) reverses for much of the year (about 7+ onths to 5- months when the average temperature is well above freezing. This effect breaks up lake evaporative cloud cover and more of the sunlight reaches the groud.

It always amuses me to hear the complaints about Buffalo weather because it is far more climate than the Chicago I grew up in. The predicted hight temps dropped below freezing 32 degrees in November. The predicted high would generally drop below zero for a few days to a week in January. In Buffalo, the lake adds moisture which results in lake effect snows. However, the moisture also adds heat such that in the winter it is a rare day with any single digit temperatures in Buffalo. Even better the Lake provides an air conditioning effect that makes 90 a relatively rare temp in Buffalo most summers (in fact while the majority of the rest of the country was baking last week- with 120 temps Las Vegas and temps over 100 for several days in a row in Chicago, DC and even Minneapolis, Buffalo had its first temp over 90 (barely) two days last week.

The windy city got that title from the bloviating Dick Daley politicians rather than the wind speed. However, the fact is that the wind comes sweeping into Chicago off the intermountain west plains and the temperature was simply much ruder in Chicago than what I find to be relatively pleasant temperatures (but some bad microclimate blizzards) in Buffalo.

Personally, I was able to find an economic sweet spot where I got salaries equal a DC market while living with costs at WNY levels (different but similar results can be found in economic middles like working in the educstional sector or for NYS state guvmint or for national companies. However, if one can find such middles WNY is a far more tolerable place to live than Louisiana. Thus view is simply backed up by facts rather than Josh Reed's jaded views.

So Josh, great job crapping on the city that paid you millions for your awful impression of a NFL player. Perhaps the reason we didn't make the playoffs is because we spend high picks on guys like you. It's funny that a 7th rounder like Stevie Johnson can't say enough good things about the city. Maybe because he's actually good at his job? Either way, continue to change the world with that amazing General Studies degree from that academic powerhouse LSU.

You raise an interesting point. I dont know if there is any actual correlation, but it does seem that most of the guys Donahoe picked were the type of guys that hated Buffalo and complained that it was too small/boring. Kelsay is the only one I know of that setup residence here full time.

I dont know if it was just the kind of guy Donahoe was drawn to. Or if the Bills sucking so bad over those years made the players not like the city. Either way, it has made for a very weird generation of Bills players.

Whereas Nix has found guys that seem to really take to the area. Again, it could be that the attitude in the club is so positive, it makes for an easier off-the-field life. I dont know, but I'd like to talk to the players about it...

Edited by DrDareustein

We get it. You hate Buffalo. You make it very well known. I'm sorry your experiences were so miserable here. But just like you hate it, other people love it. Not everyone loves SF or NYC. It's crazy to think, but people have different things they value in life. Buffalo definitely has it's faults and we're oversensitive. But it's like a big brother and little brother. I can beat the hell out of him but if you touch him it's on. I will defend the city to my death and even if it isn't for everyone, I'm damn proud of it.

:lol:

I don't hate Buffalo I have never said I hate Buffalo. But do I think it's a crappy ugly city in a crappy ugly climate? Yes. My post was in response to someone saying that Buffalo is better than any city. I think even you can argue that's a pretty silly statement to make.

And where did you figure my experiences were so miserable there? I have some great memories of WNY, and visit at least once a year and the past five or so (except this year) twice a year.

Edited by Chef Jim

Eric Moulds and Takeo Spikes didn't... they were from the Deep South... Josh Reed has the problem, not anyone else.

I knew Eric Moulds personally, and well there is a reason why he didn't retain residence in the area.

Idk what the Hell Josh Reed is talking about... I really liked him as a player for us also... I'm from Queens N.Y. home of some of the rudest people in the world... People wake up here with a face as if they just smelled manure...

Every time I take a trip out to Buffalo (twice a year), I receive nothing but love from gas station clerks or just plain old pedestrians on the street... The McKelvin lawn ripping thing bothered me a bit but Josh is way out of line...

Remember Tom Donahoe receiving death threats?

I have never been to buffalo, but I have family living in New York city. I will tell you that he is not making it up. The folks up north seem colder, and do their best to ignore strangers. I know this is a generalization, and it doesn't hold true to everyone. But if you don't belive me, visit the south.

Now that I have said that, continue blaming it on his lack luster career (i do remember him being the only dude ever open on third downs).

Open fire on me aswell, I'm curious how people feel about it.

It's not even a matter of adapting. It's not hard, but why deal with it if you can go back to smiles, sun, and sweet tea?

:lol:

I don't hate Buffalo I have never said I hate Buffalo. But do I think it's a crappy ugly city in a crappy ugly climate? Yes. My post was in response to someone saying that Buffalo is better than any city. I think even you can argue that's a pretty silly statement to make.

And where did you figure my experiences were so miserable there? I have some great memories of WNY, and visit at least once a year and the past five or so (except this year) twice a year.

If you need any advice for your next visit, Josh Reed is standing by to help.