Former WR Josh Reed Slams Buffalo

lets be real we are new yorkers we are not as nice as the southern people its a fact and its a good thing he did not go to NYC because im sure he would really hate NY lol we are not all a$$holes but i have walked down the streets of Rochester and i almost always say good morning or how are you doing today to people as i pass by and some time you you get a response sometimes you done its life cry about it :cry:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to assume by some of your comments that your speaking to my post. Josh Reed is fake because he is now all the sudden saying bad things about the city. That does t mean he's fake now. It means that the entire time he was here he was fake. At least Willis was honest when he was here. I give him tht much credit.

i agree he wasnt good, but people on the board defended him once he became our slot guy. Also I just think its him being professional keeping his mouth shut while he played, and then letting his opinions out after wards. Yes SJ is better, far better. But SJ had the same drop problem as a starter as Reed did...far more stupid penalties. Reed was a good run after the catch guy which is why parrish's run after catch "skills" werent enough to supplant Reeds. Talk about second round busts, id say Parrish was more of a bust than Reed. Reed contributed quite a bit,as much as Nelson is contributing now as a slot.

I just think you guys shouldnt care about city of B'lo comments. Who cares? let him think what he thinks. Half of you did rip the guy the whole time he was here as a "pass dropper" when was reliable his last 5 years or so. Is he supposed to always say he loved buffalo which is a slow town relative to most football towns, and cold, and playoff free since 99.

1342147604[/url]' post='2503396']

Lots of Reed supporters on here over the years must be hating this...I could never stand this guy and still have yet to see his mythical run after the catch ability. He is emblematic of how horrible the FO was during his years here. There is no other team in the league that would have had him more than 5th on their depth chart. Glad he is a miserable person now.

Of course and unfortunately everything he said about the city is true...

I've been thinking about this throughout this thread. I was unabashedly flamed every time I called for him being cut. To me, he represented everything wrong with the team in his years here. But the overwhelming responses at the time were that I didn't know anything about football. Now, because of his comments -from a year ago, he's despised?? Ha!

SJBF, you nailed it. Again.

Oh well. His opinion, his opinion.

But...

Didn't know WNYers didn't know the word "hello." Guys--it's a introductory greeting that us people in the South give. Also, it's used derisively to question the comprehension, intelligence or common sense of the person being addressed. In other words, we're obsessed over some guy named Josh Reed. Hello!

And "Where we have great weather?" I lived in Northern Lousyanna. You have to take a shower after walking to your car in the summer. And, uh, do hurricanes come to mind?

And "the people are horrible" in WNY? Been to Nola a few times, love the city. But it's one of the most dangerous places in America. We were followed once by a thug late at night--wasn't acting drunk--from a bar to my car. Was also nearly accosted--I'm a big guy--while having lunch on a sidewalk cafe.

Nola also happens to be one of the most corrupt cities in America.

Hello.

The people are horrible and there's nothing to do?

Anyone who thinks that is remotely true is an ass clown that needs to get out of mommy's basement. I moved to WNY in 1996 and have yet to run out of things to do. Must be I'm easily amused.

sooooo which part of what he said isn't true?

context --- but the people are horrible. ......... In eight years we never made the playoffs and didn’t have much success, so the fans are brutal

context --- Up there, you say, ‘Hello,’ they’re like, ‘What do you mean, hello?’

I'd agree, and I'd also say that you will find the same attitude in the south. Like being looked at as a damn Yankee.

i agree he wasnt good, but people on the board defended him once he became our slot guy. Also I just think its him being professional keeping his mouth shut while he played, and then letting his opinions out after wards. Yes SJ is better, far better. But SJ had the same drop problem as a starter as Reed did...far more stupid penalties. Reed was a good run after the catch guy which is why parrish's run after catch "skills" werent enough to supplant Reeds. Talk about second round busts, id say Parrish was more of a bust than Reed. Reed contributed quite a bit,as much as Nelson is contributing now as a slot.

I just think you guys shouldnt care about city of B'lo comments. Who cares? let him think what he thinks. Half of you did rip the guy the whole time he was here as a "pass dropper" when was reliable his last 5 years or so. Is he supposed to always say he loved buffalo which is a slow town relative to most football towns, and cold, and playoff free since 99.

As far as defending him. I've never defended him beyond being a slot WR. The fact is, it wasn't his call, it was his dumb @$$ coaches call to make him the #2. Why they couldn't see that he wasn't fit for it was a joke. Much like his play here. In all the years he's had only 10 TDs and only a few thousand yards. As I said, SJ has surpassed that in just 2 seasons starting. But SJ is good and shouldn't even be in the convo. It's my fault as I brought him in. But to even compare his drops to JRs and say they are about the same is laughable only because he produces so much more than JR ever did. I will give JR a bit of praise as I remember him being pretty good on 3rd down near the end of his career. It seemed to me that he was money in the last 2 years.

As far as the comments about Buffalo. I can take it. I overreacted yesterday about the part of him being run over. I have this thing about people lying to your face and then stabbing you in the back. It's possibly one of the most cowardly acts a person can do. It speaks so much about who a person really is it's unreal. If you don't like someone, something, somewhere, just say it. Like unsaid, I hated McGahee for his crap at the end of his career in Buffalo but at least he didn't hide from his feelings. I have to give him that much credit. But for JR to come out years later and bash the fans and people of the city that (if he was good) would have supported him unconditionally. He was a Bill for christs sake. I'm sure he got plenty of hellos and fans swarming him everywhere he went. If he didn't, then maybe he's just bitter because the descent to good players got swarms and he didn't. But the guy was a starter for years, in a small town in the NFL. I find it hard to believe he wasn't swarmed a lot of the times. I mean cmon, when Mario Williams was here we had a watch going of what he was doing, where he was going, who he was with for 3 days. And people all over with reports of what was happening from waiters, bartenders, hotel managers. We keep things pretty tight around here.

In Buffalo we keep things pretty tight aroud here. You might not know everyone, but you netter believe you have some friend that can get a hold of anyone for just about anything. Tickets to events, hookups at restaurants, someone for electrical/construction/home improvements. Buffalonians might not say hello to every stranger in the streets but I doubt many other cities do either. I've been to many places and don't recall talking walks around town and getting many "hellos" out of complete strangers. Unless I'm wearing some Bills gear and they happen to be a fan. Which happened toe the other day in Niagara Falls the other day btw. Maybe SJBF is right. Maybe we follow our sports teams too much, love them too much, worship them too much. Well.... Dammit, I'm proud of that. I take pride in not being a bamdwagon fan of my sports teams. Being a Bills fan is one of the highlights of my life. Waking up early and going to games on a Sunday for the cheapest price in the league. When fans of Giants, Jets, Skins, Cowboys and others can't even get tickets to thier teams games for less than hundreds. I'm proud of the fact that we have one of the oldest and last "built for the fans" stadiums in the league. I'm proud that we pretty much invented the "12th Man". I'm proud that even in June when the weather is getting nice we fill out entire blocks outside the Arena for a Sabres game just because people want to be a part of the team but can't get into the building.

We live 30 minutes from any kind of walk of life you'd like. We have country within a half hour, City living or suburbs. We are less than 30 minutes from a Natural Wonder of the World, another Country (as much as I rag on Canadians, it's a great Country). Some of the best (even if it is all fried and fattening) food around. We know that our summers aren't that long so we take full advantage of them when the weathers nice. We spend time out with friends, family at cookouts, Darien Lake, Camping, Swimming, Fishing. We live on one of the largest Fresh Water storages on the entire planet. We know how to drive in the snow and it doesn't bother us because we know it fills the potholes when it snows. We have the beautiful sites of all 4 seasons and enjoy them when they arrive. We will sell out football games, outside in the middle of winter even if were not going to the playoff because we love our team.

Ya!!! I'm from Buffalo and I'm damn proud of it.

As far as defending him. I've never defended him beyond being a slot WR. The fact is, it wasn't his call, it was his dumb @$$ coaches call to make him the #2. Why they couldn't see that he wasn't fit for it was a joke. Much like his play here. In all the years he's had only 10 TDs and only a few thousand yards. As I said, SJ has surpassed that in just 2 seasons starting. But SJ is good and shouldn't even be in the convo. It's my fault as I brought him in. But to even compare his drops to JRs and say they are about the same is laughable only because he produces so much more than JR ever did. I will give JR a bit of praise as I remember him being pretty good on 3rd down near the end of his career. It seemed to me that he was money in the last 2 years.

As far as the comments about Buffalo. I can take it. I overreacted yesterday about the part of him being run over. I have this thing about people lying to your face and then stabbing you in the back. It's possibly one of the most cowardly acts a person can do. It speaks so much about who a person really is it's unreal. If you don't like someone, something, somewhere, just say it. Like unsaid, I hated McGahee for his crap at the end of his career in Buffalo but at least he didn't hide from his feelings. I have to give him that much credit. But for JR to come out years later and bash the fans and people of the city that (if he was good) would have supported him unconditionally. He was a Bill for christs sake. I'm sure he got plenty of hellos and fans swarming him everywhere he went. If he didn't, then maybe he's just bitter because the descent to good players got swarms and he didn't. But the guy was a starter for years, in a small town in the NFL. I find it hard to believe he wasn't swarmed a lot of the times. I mean cmon, when Mario Williams was here we had a watch going of what he was doing, where he was going, who he was with for 3 days. And people all over with reports of what was happening from waiters, bartenders, hotel managers. We keep things pretty tight around here.

In Buffalo we keep things pretty tight aroud here. You might not know everyone, but you netter believe you have some friend that can get a hold of anyone for just about anything. Tickets to events, hookups at restaurants, someone for electrical/construction/home improvements. Buffalonians might not say hello to every stranger in the streets but I doubt many other cities do either. I've been to many places and don't recall talking walks around town and getting many "hellos" out of complete strangers. Unless I'm wearing some Bills gear and they happen to be a fan. Which happened toe the other day in Niagara Falls the other day btw. Maybe SJBF is right. Maybe we follow our sports teams too much, love them too much, worship them too much. Well.... Dammit, I'm proud of that. I take pride in not being a bamdwagon fan of my sports teams. Being a Bills fan is one of the highlights of my life. Waking up early and going to games on a Sunday for the cheapest price in the league. When fans of Giants, Jets, Skins, Cowboys and others can't even get tickets to thier teams games for less than hundreds. I'm proud of the fact that we have one of the oldest and last "built for the fans" stadiums in the league. I'm proud that we pretty much invented the "12th Man". I'm proud that even in June when the weather is getting nice we fill out entire blocks outside the Arena for a Sabres game just because people want to be a part of the team but can't get into the building.

We live 30 minutes from any kind of walk of life you'd like. We have country within a half hour, City living or suburbs. We are less than 30 minutes from a Natural Wonder of the World, another Country (as much as I rag on Canadians, it's a great Country). Some of the best (even if it is all fried and fattening) food around. We know that our summers aren't that long so we take full advantage of them when the weathers nice. We spend time out with friends, family at cookouts, Darien Lake, Camping, Swimming, Fishing. We live on one of the largest Fresh Water storages on the entire planet. We know how to drive in the snow and it doesn't bother us because we know it fills the potholes when it snows. We have the beautiful sites of all 4 seasons and enjoy them when they arrive. We will sell out football games, outside in the middle of winter even if were not going to the playoff because we love our team.

i know earlier you made it clear my approval was not sought, but ill say i actually did enjoy this post. while i might not be as on board with the "two faced" stuff, i think a love letter to your city is something to be proud to share. its a place that fits you, and it didnt work for him. you are home, and he went back home. honestly i think he was just trying to say the same thing about where hes from that you just did, but he didnt do it near as well.

We sell out football games in the middle of winter even when not going to the playoffs? After reading your post and envisioning a take off of "Proud to be an American" playing softly in the background, I cannot help to realize and comment that your continuous lack of factual detail really discredit your points. If you are going to comment on stats look them up. The last 3 games (winter months) did not sell out last year as the fans were sick of paying to watch the Bills lose. Attendance was brutal and the fans had given up.

Sure it is nice to see a post pointing out the positives about your city but there is also a point of honesty vs. building it up to what it is not. The "defensive stance" in us has a tendency to come out in defense of something we care about to where something is made out to be way better than what it is. Perfect example was made earlier on here about people defending Josh Reed during his tenure in Buffalo. As I have said many times before it is OK to criticize a player on your team, even a player that has not made public comments. As a fan you want that player to produce for your team, but in that same breath you should always want your team to be better and more competitive. Defending these guys does nothing for you, the team or the city of Buffalo...demanding performance does. If they perform great, but defending guys because of their name, where they were drafted (1st, 2nd, 3rd round etc), what they did in previous seasons or the "potential" they have does nothing for me. Just because they wear the Red, White and Royal does not give them a free pass in my book. The most important factor is performance on the field as Josh Reed has proven. He could care less about the city of Buffalo, the fans or the people...the same people who defended him, stood up for him and paid for tickets to watch him. You are sadly mistaken if you do not think there are other players on the Bills that feel the same way (also other teams). Demand performance, demand excellence and demand wins. That way when a guy like the next Reed is cut or leaves, a guy that many of you have stood up for to "give another chance" or "this is his year", at least you will have a winner to fall back on.

http://blogs.lsureveille.com/sports/2011/03/01/qa-with-former-lsu-wide-receiver-josh-reed/

Q: What was life in the NFL like?

A: “It might be different in other cities but you know, Buffalo is in Western New York. It, really as far as the layout, the landscape and the area was kind of like the South, in New York. It’s not anything like the city. It’s real laid back in the country, but the people are horrible. As far as getting in trouble in Buffalo or socially, there’s nothing to do. You go to practice and go home. In eight years we never made the playoffs and didn’t have much success, so the fans are brutal. They sit here and say they have the best fans and have the best food. No. Coming from Louisiana where you have great weather, you can go outside 90 percent of the time. The people here are just friendly; you don’t even have to know somebody. If you say,’Hello,’ they’re going to say, ‘Hello,’ back; they may even start up a conversation. Up there, you say, ‘Hello,’ they’re like, ‘What do you mean, hello?’ It’s just like if they’re so miserable up here, then move.”

Someone sounds butthurt that no one likes him (big surprise after reading this)...And it's not our fault he wasn't anything more than a mediocre slot receiver.

You're irrelevant, always have been, disappear...How the heck did he get interviewed anyway?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

OK what part of what he said isnt true? That we didnt make the playoffs? that buffalonians arent as friendly as southerners? wouldnt his saying all this mean hes not fake? Fake would be saying you love buffalo when you dont, hes definitely being honest. We all hated him and ripped him when he took over for Price but I dont think he had as many drops that year as SJ did in his third year, they are pretty close im sure. I remember the board saying he was actually good after his 4rth year onward and very sure handed. He was hurt once and we went on a losing streak and board members blamed his absence on our poor offense for that stretch.

Its funny how you hate a guy for being honest. You now say he sucks and the "worst" player we had, ha! Just like Mcgahee and Lynch, they sure suck and its good we got rid of them when they said B'lo was boring. Its great we had to use two first round draft picks to replace both of them, but now start an arena league player. Look how their careers turned out!

The part that simply isn't true is the friendliness of the people. I lived in WNY for the first 18 years of my life and that's just BS. If you can't find things to do, that's on you. There's plenty of outdoor activities in WNY and they're available year round. If he's looking for ghetto thug clubs to hang out in, he's probably not going to find it. The other stuff doesn't really chap me very much. They didn't make the playoffs? Sure. If I could ask Reed, I would question how much he helped make that happen. The 36th pick in the draft and never caught more than 2 TD's in a season. Thanks Josh Reed for being absolutely nothing but a mediocre player and a dick to boot.

The part that simply isn't true is the friendliness of the people. I lived in WNY for the first 18 years of my life and that's just BS. If you can't find things to do, that's on you. There's plenty of outdoor activities in WNY and they're available year round. If he's looking for ghetto thug clubs to hang out in, he's probably not going to find it. The other stuff doesn't really chap me very much. They didn't make the playoffs? Sure. If I could ask Reed, I would question how much he helped make that happen. The 36th pick in the draft and never caught more than 2 TD's in a season. Thanks Josh Reed for being absolutely nothing but a mediocre player and a dick to boot.

sure the people are friendly, but i kind of get where hes coming from. both cultures are nice in their own ways and do have commonalities, but they are really different. if you qualify southern louisiana as your standard of what you like out of a culture, buffalo will disappoint you. and vice versa. i still dont really get what his stats have to do with anything other than "oh yea, you suck too" which doesnt really do much for anything.

Someone sounds butthurt that no one likes him (big surprise after reading this)...And it's not our fault he wasn't anything more than a mediocre slot receiver.

You're irrelevant, always have been, disappear...How the heck did he get interviewed anyway?

this was a 23 year old blogger that went to LSU when Josh went back to finish his degree. its like a half notch below bleacher report in its quality control, and probably less readers than any given thread on this board. its not like he was talking about this with chris mortensen. odds are he was shooting the #### with a kid in one of his classes and would feel pretty embarassed it made it to see the light of day. it really seems he was just trying to say "my home is the best place in the world" and got too hung up in the "compared to...." section.

Edited by NoSaint

i know earlier you made it clear my approval was not sought, but ill say i actually did enjoy this post. while i might not be as on board with the "two faced" stuff, i think a love letter to your city is something to be proud to share. its a place that fits you, and it didnt work for him. you are home, and he went back home. honestly i think he was just trying to say the same thing about where hes from that you just did, but he didnt do it near as well.

Thanks. As I said I didn't need any approval. If still sounds good to hear compliments. Your absolutely right about what you said. Josh just went home. I'm sure he's as passionate about home as I am about Buffalo. Your right that it's the way it came off. We, as Buffalonians do have a chip on our shoulders. We've been through a lot. We've heard numorous insults from everywhere aroud the country by people that have never stepped foot into our city. But I think what hurts the most is from people that grew up here, lived here for much of thier life, still claim to be a Buffalonian yet haven't been here in years yet still talk about all the bad things they left for. Or the new opportunities in thier NEW home towns and why it's better than Buffalo. To those people, I really have no love. It's great you are happy. It's great you left and found your new life. It's great that there are so many things to do in the place where you are. It sounds like that is now your home. Buffalo may not be the greatest place in this nation but for the ones that live here, it IS home. We love it here. We wouldn't wanna be anywhere else. Maybe you left for all the right reasons. Maybe you left for careers that weren't available here. To that I say congratulations.

We sell out football games in the middle of winter even when not going to the playoffs? After reading your post and envisioning a take off of "Proud to be an American" playing softly in the background, I cannot help to realize and comment that your continuous lack of factual detail really discredit your points. If you are going to comment on stats look them up. The last 3 games (winter months) did not sell out last year as the fans were sick of paying to watch the Bills lose. Attendance was brutal and the fans had given up.

yeah, I watched that 2 minute bit on YNN today too about the sellouts and the new blackout rule. I've have season tickets since Juron started coachig here and went to probably 3-5 games a year since the end of Marv Levys tenure. Last year is not a good example. The fact is, we play in one of the colder and snowier environments in the league and we consistantly have some of the best attendence and have for a long time. Sure a few years here and there have tainted us but we still show up. When was the last time you've been to a game in December when it was cold and snowy? I haven't missed one in about 6-7 years and I hardly see an empty stadium. Sure maybe the upper deck seats are a little empty in the corners. Considering the attendence of places like Jacksonville, Miami, the Saints before Brees, anywhere in a dome where it's nice and warm we are doing extremely well. The fact that we only have 2-3 games a year (during really bad years) that aren't sellouts and we haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years speaks volumes about the people and fans if this City and this Team.