TJ Graham's contract

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You posted an inane "theory" in a much earlier thread about how the Bills were trying to teach Graham a lesson (or something like that) with their hardball negotiating, using where he "should" have been drafted as the basis for their offer. It was quickly pointed out to you that Graham's 3rd round status has much more to do with why he isn't signed than some huge $$ abyss the two sides haven't crossed, and it would be ridiculous for a team that traded up to select a player to then use his supposed draft "ranking" as a negotiating ploy.

Everything just needs to sort itself out with these 3rd rounders.

i clicked around a tiny bit on the issue for a refresher. essentially rounds 1 and 2 end up getting the full allotment for their slots while starting sometime in the 3rd round players start taking less than 100%. not huge gaps, but no one wants to be the one to say "im the first one not to get my full allotment." once that first guy takes it, the rest tend to fall in line accordingly. thats why you see late 3rd and on sign quicker - its already known they wont get 100%.

honestly, for the few dollars different, i think its more a pride thing for the players and the agents that dont want to say they were the first guy that got stuck taking less than they could have.

where that cutoff falls will move around a bit based on how hard teams and agents want to push the issue year to year. based on last year, it was obvious before the draft that a guy picked at this pick would be among the last ones signed.

and yes, now that you mention it, i remember quite well how ridiculous joes earlier thread was.

As a card-carrying member of the "football and negotiation expert committee" I will say this -- worrying about Graham's contract status, with three weeks to go before TC and knowing the guy has participated in EVERYTHING team-related to date, is really pointless.

This is clearly about the odd "vacuum" created by the split between how rounds 1-2 are slotted, and how 4-7 have been slotted. Agents are doing their due diligence and making sure they don't shortchange their clients. And as others have already said, for a 3rd rounder it IS important to get as much as you can up front, because these picks are in a sort of "no man's land." They aren't the 1st and 2nd round studs, but they're also not the 4th and later "hopefuls."

Anyway, I won't hold anything against TJ or his agent until and unless we get to July 26 and he's not in Pittsford.

Good points.

Graham's agent is cheap!

They aren't the 1st and 2nd round studs, but they're also not the 4th and later "hopefuls."

Exactly. Or as I like to put it, "Gettin' PAID" vs. "Happy to Be Here." TJ and his third round brethren are somewhere in the middle. Once someone at the top budges, the rest will fall like dominoes into a de facto slotting system. This isn't about greed or spite or anything else. These are the guys who probably won't be set for life with their rookie deals. I don't begrudge them or their agents at all for treading carefully.

i clicked around a tiny bit on the issue for a refresher. essentially rounds 1 and 2 end up getting the full allotment for their slots while starting sometime in the 3rd round players start taking less than 100%. not huge gaps, but no one wants to be the one to say "im the first one not to get my full allotment." once that first guy takes it, the rest tend to fall in line accordingly. thats why you see late 3rd and on sign quicker - its already known they wont get 100%.

honestly, for the few dollars different, i think its more a pride thing for the players and the agents that dont want to say they were the first guy that got stuck taking less than they could have.

Not exactly. The hold up is over the 25% rule, whereby teams can increase a player's base salary by 25% each season. For the first pick in the third round, if the two sides were the maximum distance apart, this would mean a difference of around $300,000. From an article posted earlier in the thread:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/conflict-continues-between-agents-team-192009786--nfl.html

For what it's worth, I'd wait a few weeks for $300k. Or $200k. Or...

Not exactly. The hold up is over the 25% rule, whereby teams can increase a player's base salary by 25% each season. For the first pick in the third round, if the two sides were the maximum distance apart, this would mean a difference of around $300,000. From an article posted earlier in the thread:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/conflict-continues-between-agents-team-192009786--nfl.html

For what it's worth, I'd wait a few weeks for $300k. Or $200k. Or...

Whats a hundred thousand dollars between friends? I mean what a self righteous asswipe

Whats a hundred thousand dollars between friends? I mean what a self righteous asswipe

Well, you know what they say. $100k here, $100k there... Add it all up, and pretty soon you're talking about some real money.

I just dont understand how you can be sour about a player "holing out" 3 weeks before TC. Luck and Griffin must be real dicks in your mind. Lots of 3rd rounders haven't signed yet. If this goes a week into camp ill be annoyed too, but we have 22 days until we even open camp. Im not worried

To be fair, those players are #1, 1st round draft picks, TJ was lucky we picked him in the 3rd, his talents and possible upside afforded him a higher draft spot than his achievements in college did. I would just love to see players stop being so greedy when they still have so much to prove. The only reason I think Luck and Griffin are dicks are because they play for another team. I'm not worried about this pick, it has all the makings of Aaron Maybin 2.0 I'm more interested to see what develops on our roster that want to be here and earn a spot and his paycheck. If he is smart, he'll look at the likes of Freddie Jackson, Donald Jones, and Stevie Johnson and see that you need to get in here, work your tail off, and then the payday will come.

My gut tells me that some of these guys hold out now because of the fear of not making it...

To be fair, those players are #1, 1st round draft picks, TJ was lucky we picked him in the 3rd, his talents and possible upside afforded him a higher draft spot than his achievements in college did. I would just love to see players stop being so greedy when they still have so much to prove. The only reason I think Luck and Griffin are dicks are because they play for another team. I'm not worried about this pick, it has all the makings of Aaron Maybin 2.0 I'm more interested to see what develops on our roster that want to be here and earn a spot and his paycheck. If he is smart, he'll look at the likes of Freddie Jackson, Donald Jones, and Stevie Johnson and see that you need to get in here, work your tail off, and then the payday will come.

My gut tells me that some of these guys hold out now because of the fear of not making it...

This may be TJ's first and only contract in the NFL. I don't blame him for trying to squeeze every last dollar of what isn't going to be a significant contract. Considering about half of the 3rd round still isn't signed, I'm even less angry about it.

As for working hard, his position coach says he "works his butt off." He's also said he's a perfectionist. If he fails, it won't be for a lack of effort.

For a guy everyone thought would be drafted in the fifth round he sure is holding out a long time on this. He didn't look like a world beater against our no name receiver corp in the OTA's. Hey TJ, how about showing something before playing hardball.

I didn't know baseball was an option for him. Was he drafted by an MLB team? This will give him leverage if nothing else and some dudes just prefer baseball. He could have a long career there if he is good.

a 23 year kid has a shot at an extra 100 thousand dollars and you want him to pass it up 3 weeks before TC? The average NFL career is 4 years regardless of draft position. I dont know how you can blame a guy for trying to get as much as he can in what could be his only NFL contract. Not to mention 3 rounders are the one spot in the draft that the fewest players have signed Im sure you never took the chance to get the most out of your own contracts at your job

Sorry but that's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. :rolleyes:

To be fair...

I feel dumber for reading this post.

a bust.

even before pads?

I think we are a fair and rewarding team. Some of what Mckinleys koolaid is telling him is true.

For me?

If the kid is not at camp on day one.

I will start to resent him. slowly. then quickly.

Training camp is the marker.

Till then i have the highest hopes and regard for the kid.

a bust.

even before pads?

I think we are a fair and rewarding team. Some of what Mckinleys koolaid is telling him is true.

For me?

If the kid is not at camp on day one.

I will start to resent him. slowly. then quickly.

Training camp is the marker.

Till then i have the highest hopes and regard for the kid.

Shep missed the first day last year in the same situation. It's likely to push right onto that edge.

Shep missed the first day last year in the same situation. It's likely to push right onto that edge.

thats a shame about how the 3rd rounders have it rough. Yes i recall Kelvin story now. Maybe i should rein in my opinions a bit? :thumbsup:

Unsigned draft picks as of 7/5/12.

Twenty teams have not completed contracts with all of their draft picks.

Of those 20 teams, 13 have not signed their FIRST Round pick(s). Cleveland has TWO unsigned 1st rounders so yes, there are 14 1st Round picks that are unsigned.

Note - they're not "holdouts" because Farggin' Training Camp hasn't opened up yet.

Three SECOND Round picks have not been signed.

Thirteen THIRD Round picks are holding out and refusing to negotiate with their teams because they're prima donnas and/or the Bills Front Office is cheap, cheap, cheap.

A single FOURTH Round pick - Nick Toon WR (SAINTS) is holding out for any left-over dinner money that Loomis has budgeted to get Drew Brees into training camp on time.

I count 31 unsigned players.

In a 32 team league what are the odds that The Bills would have one?

Can everyone relax now?

I think what you meant was "Can everyone freak out about something else now?" With that in mind, I offer you the following options: 1) Wood's health, 2) Asper/Brown/Jasper for back-up guard, 3) Fitz's beard and its impact on his accuracy.

I think what you meant was "Can everyone freak out about something else now?" With that in mind, I offer you the following options: 1) Wood's health, 2) Asper/Brown/Jasper for back-up guard, 3) Fitz's beard and its impact on his accuracy.

:thumbsup:

Hey it's totally possible that Fitz's chin strap comes off and the wind blows his beard over his eyes in the middle of a play.