Buffalo's biggest rival...

tito1

who do you think?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. who is the bills biggest rival?

• New England
    • Miami
    • NYJ

Our biggest rival right now is New England. However it isn't much of a rivalry. If you ask them, we're closer to a step sister than a rival. But hopefully that changes soon.

The Bills' current biggest obstacle is New England. The biggest rival is and always will be Miami.

The Bills' current biggest obstacle is New England. The biggest rival is and always will be Miami.

Maybe to you, but to many, it's the Pats. I know about the 70's (I was there), but the current Pats have humiliated the Bills more than any other team in the Bills history, in my opinion. The Bills got some retribution against the Dolphins in the 80's and 90's. There has been none of that against the Pats since they got Brady.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

For me it's going to be Miami and Bryan Cox the player I'll remember the most. For NFC though I've always hated the Cowboys.

You could buy all 3 division rivals and go the Chan Gailey route. The biggest rival is whoever we play on Sunday.

Edited by goblinwarren

For me it's going to be Miami and Brian Cox the player I'll remember the most. For NFC though I've always hated the Cowboys.

You could buy all 3 division rivals and go the Chan Gailey route. The biggest rival is whoever we play on Sunday.

Personally, I hate the Cowboys most. I still believe that the Herschel Walker trade was a conspiracy, and shouldn't have been allowed by the league.

Maybe to you, but to many, it's the Pats. I know about the 70's (I was there), but the current Pats have humiliated the Bills more than any other team in the Bills history, in my opinion. The Bills got some retribution against the Dolphins in the 80's and 90's. There has been none of that against the Pats since they got Brady.

That's not what a rivalry is. That's a team running all over the Bills, sure.

That's not what a rivalry is. That's a team running all over the Bills, sure.

Isn't that what made the 70's Dolphins the Bills rivals?

I realize there is a certain amount of one-upsmanship to this topic, a little bit of "oh, you newcomers don't understand the big picture", but I ain't buying it. Define rivalry however you want, but nothing will be more gratifying for me as a fan for 36 years, than to see the Bills beat out the Pats.

Isn't that what made the 70's Dolphins the Bills rivals?

I realize there is a certain amount of one-upsmanship to this topic, a little bit of "oh, you newcomers don't understand the big picture", but I ain't buying it. Define rivalry however you want, but nothing will be more gratifying for me as a fan for 36 years, than to see the Bills beat out the Pats.

That's part of it, but what really solidified it were the years where both teams were good. That's never consistently happened between Boston/NE and Buffalo. Usually, at least one of the two teams is crappy at any given point.

The late 80s and most of the 90s solidified the Buffalo-Miami rivalry. When I see a New England coach jumping up and down on a cereal box with a Bills player on it; when I see both teams repeatedly play each other with playoffs and/or playoff advancement on the line, I'll begin to think of it as a serious rivalry.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Miami #1, Cowboys #2, then everyone else equally. If your too young to know why Buffalo's diabolical archenemy will always be the Dolphins, a team that was a thorn in our sides for 3 solid decades,m then you need to do some internet reading, and you will change your mind quickly. Why hate the Patriots, because they're good and have a good owner? In my opinion that doesn't qualify for a rival, they just have been better owned and managed in recent years. The Dolphins went on a whole different level, and transcended the football field.

I won't do the research for you, but look into the player comments in the late 80's and early 90's, the clayton bashing of Andre Reed, or Bryan Cocks just being a douche bag, or Don Shula controlling the referees..... Aaaahh the good 'ol days.

Traditionally it's Miami. After the 20 game losing streak in the 70's, then Marino vs. Kelly. Only in recent years has it died out. But now I personally hate the Jets more. Big mouthed losers, at least New England let's their play do the talking. Given I hate NE too, but I cannot stand Rex and his band of egotistical maniacs.

It's tough to have a rival after a decade of futility. To have a rivalry it has to be a two way street where both teams dislike the other and look forward to an important matchup. Nobody even thinks twice about the Bills so it's tough to have an actual rivalry.

I'll agree with the poster above that the Bills current obstacle is the Pats.

Personally, if I were you I wouldn't buy any memorabilia from an opposing team - F them!

Miami is our biggest rival even though it has died down in recent years due to both teams basically sucking. The Pats* haven’t been much of a rivalry but more of a one sided domination as of late, which I hope is finally over. We never considered them a rival when we were good and they weren’t, at least I didn’t, so why start now. Once Brady retires or preferably Mario turns him into a pretzel ending his career that talk will die down. Once both the Bills and Miami get things back on track, that rivalry will heat right back up again. Maybe we can speed it up…someone on this board has got to live near or travel to Miami…go find one of the Dolphin players and slip him a couple bucks or do what you’ve got to do to get that player to give the ole double finger salute coming out of the tunnel this year.

I don’t know that I could buy a mini helmet for one of our division rivals unless I planned to buy one for all 32 teams and then put whoever we’re playing on display as the latest rival. Just get the full size Bills helmet so we’ll always dwarf that team. :thumbsup:

Twenty years ago I got an ice cream sundae from dairy queen. It was served in a mini mets helmet. Wonder if they still do that.

Stewart's used to do that when I was a kid. They had all the teams, too. I haven't seen them in years, though, and I have a feeling if they did it again all they would have would be Yankees and Red Sox.

I'm laughing my ass off at the folks who voted NE...You can't be a rival by beating a Team twice in over a decade...A 3-21 record in the past 12 years btw...

Rival? Um...no...But we are a certain Teams B word...That is for sure...We've got to EARN that rival thing...The Pats rivals are the Ravens, the Jets...used to be the Colts...Definitely not The Bills...Not yet anyway... B-)

i don't know how people consider Miami a rival, other that they are in our division. they'd be 3rd on that list easy. there are only 3 main reasons that was a rivalry once upon a time: 1.) they were dominant over us, and won like 20+ straight. 2.) we finally got better and were good at the same time for some years in the 80's. 3.) there were some players on that team we really didn't like.

NONE of those reasons even apply anymore, in fact not in over a decade. and it's NE that takes the that same place in the first 2, hands down (well, the first 1 for sure, and the next one if we are actually better like we think.. otherwise who cares).

unless you have some geographic proximity or something, rivalries will and do change. hanging onto miami is just manufactured by people living way in the past. hell, we've had more memorable games against Cleveland the past several years than Miami.

We don't have one. We could say Miami but they would tell you their most hated team/rival is the Jets. It's not the SEC, it's the NFL, it is what it is. Look at the NFC East. Which is the biggest rivalry? There isn't one, all four teams hate eachother equally.

It's tough to have a rival after a decade of futility. To have a rivalry it has to be a two way street where both teams dislike the other and look forward to an important matchup. Nobody even thinks twice about the Bills so it's tough to have an actual rivalry.

I'll agree with the poster above that the Bills current obstacle is the Pats.

Personally, if I were you I wouldn't buy any memorabilia from an opposing team - F them!

It looks sweet when you got the helmets clashing. Gonna be in my bills man cave. Just debating

Like some have said, I don't think the Bills really have a rival anymore at this time. Usually a rivalry starts because of 2 teams fighting consistently each other for something larger then just a win. With the Bills being mediocre the last decade + (They haven't been horrible like everyone says, mediocre is 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, etc.) they really lost any rivalries because they haven't played many meaningful games. Some rivalries are also do to the close proximity of another team, but Detroit has been bad for so long that games against them just never really mattered for much, same with the Browns. We haven't had a game against them that menat anything in a long time. In the division, both Miami and Buffalo haven't had meaningful games against each other since Kelly/Marino, same with teh Jets. The Pats may be seen as a rival right now according to Buffalo fans, but NE fans and the team don't really seem to care much about playing Buffalo cause the games haven't been meaningful.

There isn't always a rival for a team, and those rivals can change over time. A true rivalry is something where both teams and their fans view the rivalry the same. But some rivalries can exist because of a history between teams. Sometimes what people might call a rivalry is more of just a hatred for another team, a rivalry is more of a hatred shared by both teams for each other

I would say if you had to chose 3 rivals for the Bills the closest would be NE because they are in the same division and have dominated the Bills over the last decade or so, the Cowboys only because of the last 2 Super Bowls, and the Dolphins (even though that rivalry has sort of died down on both sides because the games just haven't been meaningful in a while.

I picked Miami because I remember the old days when the Bills hated the Phins and the Phins hated the Bills. The game was special both for the fans and the players in both cities.

We don't really have comparable rivalry right now. You can call NE our biggest rival these days. But to them we're only a mosquito that gives them some minor, occasional irritation.

Twenty years ago I got an ice cream sundae from dairy queen. It was served in a mini mets helmet. Wonder if they still do that.

I don't know about DQ, but I did see on tv, while watching a Yankees game, a person feeding their child icecream from a small Yankees batters helmet...so they do still exist...i believe i got one from a Rochester Redwings game when i was a child.

I don't know about DQ, but I did see on tv, while watching a Yankees game, a person feeding their child icecream from a small Yankees batters helmet...so they do still exist...i believe i got one from a Rochester Redwings game when i was a child.

Last Sunday I was at the jays/Mets game in Toronto and they had those too. I was going to get one but the lineup was way too long.

I do remember getting one at DQ whan I was a kid, I think we had them in a cupboard for a while until my mom tossed them about 5-10 years ago, I wanted to keep one but they were tossed

I chose the Jets because record wise our overall record against them is only a few games. New England and Miami have such a gap between the records that if we swope them (past tense of sweep lol) for ten years straight, only then will we be considered rivals...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I think that the team one chooses depends on how old you are to a certain extent. Although I want to kick the Bills to kick the sh*t out of the Pats, I will never forget what we went through for the entire decade of the 1970's. As a result, I voted for the Dolphins.

Really? No one said the jets?? The Pats are out if our league for the last 10 years, that's not a rivalry that's being slaughtered. The Dolphins, eh used to be but nobody cares about them not even in Miami. To me the only really rivalry we've had (that we're currently losing) is the Jets. They're another team that's been 'on the cusp' for years and we've actually beaten them and vice versa. We hate them, their coach and their players. Sounds like a rivalry to me

I chose the Jets because record wise our overall record against them is only a few games. New England and Miami have such a gap between the records that if we swope them (past tense of sweep lol) for ten years straight, only then will we be considered rivals...

Lol, I couldn't resist. Swept!

Really? No one said the jets?? The Pats are out if our league for the last 10 years, that's not a rivalry that's being slaughtered. The Dolphins, eh used to be but nobody cares about them not even in Miami. To me the only really rivalry we've had (that we're currently losing) is the Jets. They're another team that's been 'on the cusp' for years and we've actually beaten them and vice versa. We hate them, their coach and their players. Sounds like a rivalry to me

Lol, I couldn't resist. Swept!

Oh snap. Lol (homer simpson voice) DOH!!! :oops: