Casserly: Buffalo picks Tannehill

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not getting any immediate help from your #10 pick would be a bucket of water dumped on the excited feeling we're hearing about teamwide for the upcoming season...

Dupkis; "the excited feeling we're hearing about teamwide"?

Not getting any immediate help from your #10 pick would be a bucket of water dumped on the excited feeling we're hearing about teamwide for the upcoming season...

Dupkis; the excited feeling we're hearing about teamwide?

Dupkis; the excited feeling we're hearing about teamwide?

It's a B for Bupkis...

"Just talking to a bunch of fans around town, they let us know how excited they are about things. We sense that. We know that," running back Fred Jackson said. "At the same time, we feel the exact same way. We feel like the organization has done some things to give us a great opportunity to go out and win football games, so we're putting a lot of expectations on ourselves."

Tannehill is a boy wonder coming up from mid second round to maybe a third pick AFTER he finished his playing career. Look at the tape and think very very hard before you take him at ten. After Maybin and Spiller, this crew may get a quarterback who will be good in a couple of years, but he will be working under a new GM and Coach.

I believe that its possible they like him and if he is available, they might take him at #10, but Nix has said many times that he doesn't like to move around in the draft. He doesn't want to lose picks to move up, and he doesn't like the idea of trading down and risking losing a guy they do want, believing he will be there if they move down. They would rather stay put and take the player they like at their spot.

No one knows (except the Bills) who they will take if available at 10, but Buddy has also come out and said that he expects to get an impact player in the first, so taking a QB at 10 and letting him sit and develop doesn't quite fit that mould.

It seems like every year there are rumors of the Bills being in love with a certain QB that the report says they will take and yet they pass (Remember the Tebow rumors?). It easy for "journalists" :rolleyes: to just come out and say the Bills are in love with a certain QB and will take that player cause many don't think that Fitz is good enough so they think the team feels the same way.

Thanx for the link, nice find.

"...we wouldn’t pass up a quarterback or any other position at 10.” More Buddy non-speak. Love him.

True that. Maybe the team thinks this is the last opportunity to grab a quality QB for the forseeable future. Maybe they feel they'll be picking in the 20s for the next 5 years and won't be able to grab a top QB.

You can debate whether the Bills are in win now mode, or build for the future mode all you want. The FA signings seem to clearly indicate we are in win now mode. They only way we don't add a player that helps us Week 1 is if it's a QB. And taking Tannenhill doesn't mean we are mailing in the season, it just means A) QB trumps all and B) the FO thinks we're at a playoff level already. It's a win-win in their minds.

I could pick apart your post but I'll just concede there's another side. But unless you're a relative I dont see how anyone can unconditionally say fitz is the guy, no question. So what happens if the doubters are right and it's more of the same from him next year and bills have another losing season? Then where are we without a credible backup in the pipeline? It's a huge risk for this team putting it all on fitz ... You only go "naked" on a backup if you know for sure you already have an elite QB.

Fitz has alot of question marks and, imo, this is a make or break year for him. I would rather give him then benefit of the doubt and draft a WR or OT and make him prove he is not the real deal than draft a guy with 15 college starts and rest the next 3-4 years of the franchise on him.

If Fitz doesn't work out and we have another losing season, then we take a QB first next year, a real blue chip prospect. Maybe Matt Barkley?

I just don't see it. It doesn't add up. I think that the Bills are messing with people with these leaking "sources" stories. Buddy says they could surprise people, then we hear of "could be Barron" talk, then "could be Tannehill" talk.

Frankly, if the Bills really did want Tannehill and thought he was the "real deal" then why in the heck wouldn't they jump Miami at #8 for at the most a third round pick???? The only answer I see is that they DON'T want Tannehill, they just want Tannehill (and Barron) to be drafted ahead of them in the hopes of getting Gilmore or Kuechly whichever impact guy they want the most.

That logic doesn't equate. Just because they may want Tannehill if he is there at #10 does not mean they would also be willing to trade away valuable picks to move up to get him. They wanted Newton last year but were not going to trade the farm to get him. This team has holes to fill and needs players who can play this year, so if we take a QB with our 1st round pick then we better not trade away any other valuable picks because Tannehill wont help this year and we will need those other picks.

I am sold on the fact that our FO is not convinced Fitz is their long term answer, so their supposed interest (I mean you never what is really true or not this close to draft) wouldn't surprise me. Personally, as much as I want a new QB to develop, I would not like this pick. Everything being said about Tannehill reminds me of JP Losman...I know this is no where close to the same regime that drafted JP, however, taking a QB at #10 who is labeled a complete project is very risky and I would much rather see us take a day1 starter and play maker there like Barron, Kuchely, Floyd/Blackmon, DB, etc.

If they really want to get a QB, then trade a 3rd to NE for Mallet! Mallet is a substantially better QB prospect and if he was in this draft they would talking about him in the top 10 and not Tannehill...so why waste a 1st on a lesser prospect and instead trade a 3rd and take away a guy from NE that will likely torture us for another decade post Brady.

It's cool as a fan that Buddy is so honest. but as a GM, I'd love for him to lie liek he has 5 Bourbons on the rocks. As a GM, it is important to be a great bluffer.

Seriously?

So far, Buddy has been fairly open about things, but has he really said anything that would lead you to believe which player they will take? That's the amazing thing about this -- Buddy has said numerous things about the draft that all sound honest and straightforward, but at the same time nobody here has any clue which player or position we're going to take at #10.

Take the talk about LT -- he has talked about how comfortable they are with Hairston and how they believe they can win with him. That made me think there's no way they're going to go LT with the #10 pick -- probably round 2 or 3. Then he talks about how the LT position is more important than WR, and how most great LTs are taken high in the first round. Nothing there is specifically misleading, but in the end I have absolutely no idea if they're going to draft an LT at #10 or not.

Really, it comes down to this: Who's available, and who the Bills really like. if there's a player available that they think is awesome when they're on the clock, they'll take him, no matter what position he plays. (Hopefully not RB, but you never know.)

At this point, we have absolutely no idea who it will be. Bravo, Buddy.

6'4", 225, strong arm can make all the throws, smart guy, leadership qualities, weaknesses seem coachable .... If he's there at 10 expect him in a bills Uni in 2012.

What leadership qualities? On tape I can see the throws. I've heard he lacks in the leadership dept. Tell me about his leadership qualities.

I don't at all expect him to be a Bill.

Signing the highest paid DE in league history. No way do you do that if you want to wait 2-3 years on a developmental QB...

there is some element of making choices for immediate returns, while investing in your future. im not saying i think RT is the pick, but i dont think you can rule him out simply by that signing.

I'm no RT fan, but he is better than Gabbert. Gabbert threw 16 tds in a spread offense and had played QB his whole career. Additionally, no one has ever questioned his toughest like thay have Blaine's RT's upside is much higher than BG IMO.

And I just can't wait for the draft. If someone in the Bills' FO did let this info slip and they really intend to take RT, they should be fired. however if this is just a smoke screen to drum up business, well played. I really don't think the Bills will pick RT. Especially if his college coach passes on him. That said, I'd trust Gailey.

I can't believe your the only one to mention this and not one person has agreed. Unitl now that is, I agree 100% with the bolded statement. If Sherman passes on Tannehill that would be a major indictment of his skill level/ability to be a savior. The Dolphins need a qb badly so seeing them pass would not make me comfortable that RT would be any better than Fitz. I'll also add that I agree with the psoters who say it would put a damper on the offseason. Having the 10th pick presents a great opportunity to get an impact player this year! Not a future maybe.

I will add this caveat though - If they draft him I will immediately become a supporter of the pick. Well maybe not immediately but I'll get on board and hope he turns out not just better than Fitz but better than Kelly!

It's a B for Bupkis...

"Just talking to a bunch of fans around town, they let us know how excited they are about things. We sense that. We know that," running back Fred Jackson said. "At the same time, we feel the exact same way. We feel like the organization has done some things to give us a great opportunity to go out and win football games, so we're putting a lot of expectations on ourselves."

Just curious. What is a Bupkis? Don't know if I should feel pissed or grateful for the kind word.

Just finished watching path to the draft and Casserly said he great information that if Ryan Tannehill is available at 10 the Bills will take him. Also Said Fitz contract is club friendly and that there is not a lot of guaranteed money going forward and that we have to of the best coaches in the League to coach QBs and that T-hill could sit for a year to develop and that he wont be surprised if we take him. All I can say to that is please Lord Jesus.

I'd rather see it than Barron...I'll say that much... B-)

I hope to god, this isn't true...I don't think it is...but what do any of us know...please, let Miami take Tannehill...

I'm not religious but just in case i'm gonna pray with you on this one Buftex. Of all the picks being discussed for us, this is the one that would leave an empty feeling in my soul. I really have my heart set on Keuchly but even a Glen, Barron, Gilmore or Floyd I'd be ok with. Just....not...Tannehill.