Casserly: Buffalo picks Tannehill

Buddy said "win now" two years ago when he was first hired. He also said he wants to build a team that will be superbowl competitive well into the future like the Patriots and the Steelers. That means finding and developing a QB that can play in three or four years. Selecting Tannehill would not be "eating his words", it would be keeping his word.

Bupkis. Here's what he said the day he was hired as GM:

"It doesn't matter what kind of splash we make today, what matters is two years or three years down the road that we've got this thing turned in the right direction and we're winning."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills were 6 up, 10 down with him last year. Guy lead the league in picks. How is sticking with him a "win now" mentality?

So we ask this guy (Fitz) to do his best, knowing that he's got the league's worst defense waiting on the sidelines - and then he gets admonished for interceptions? Forget about the almost 4,000 yards passing and the 24 TD passes, right? I'm not saying Fitz is a reincarnation of Joe Montana, by any means. But I do think he deserves a fair shot with a real defense - which I am confident we now have. If he sucks this year, then I will agree that he is likely not the answer. I just don't think it's fair to pass judgment based on the last 2 years. Fitz wasn't the reason the Bills lost 10 games last year.

Do you guys truly believe that if the FO believes that RT will be a good to great QB with a high ceiling, that they will NOT take him cos it interferes with the 'win now' philosophy ? That is total and utter BS (IMHO ofcourse). Guys, even now, with the way we have shored up the D, we should continue to fall down on the pick order every year. Couple that with the fact that every year there are 2-3 teams desperate for a QB and you see that it gets more and more difficult to acquire a ready-for-NFL QB as years go by.

Buddy may have said 'win now' but which of his actions so far have indicated that he willing to sacrifice the larger good in favor of immediate returns ? Even the BPA mentality is premised on the logic of getting a player who will have the most long term impact on the franchise. And no other position embodies that more than the QB position. We should have drafted one last year, but if one is available at our pick spot, we will take him. I don't know if RT is that player, but if the FO believes that and he is sitting at #10, we will take him.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

6'4", 225, strong arm can make all the throws, smart guy, leadership qualities, weaknesses seem coachable .... If he's there at 10 expect him in a bills Uni in 2012.

Sounds like Rob Johnson.

I could see a scenario where Tannehill falls all the way to 22. This is just more smoke.

Buddy may have said 'win now' but which of his actions so far have indicated that he willing to sacrifice the larger good in favor of immediate returns ?

Signing the highest paid DE in league history. No way do you do that if you want to wait 2-3 years on a developmental QB...

So we ask this guy (Fitz) to do his best, knowing that he's got the league's worst defense waiting on the sidelines - and then he gets admonished for interceptions? Forget about the almost 4,000 yards passing and the 24 TD passes, right? I'm not saying Fitz is a reincarnation of Joe Montana, by any means. But I do think he deserves a fair shot with a real defense - which I am confident we now have. If he sucks this year, then I will agree that he is likely not the answer. I just don't think it's fair to pass judgment based on the last 2 years. Fitz wasn't the reason the Bills lost 10 games last year.

I could pick apart your post but I'll just concede there's another side. But unless you're a relative I dont see how anyone can unconditionally say fitz is the guy, no question. So what happens if the doubters are right and it's more of the same from him next year and bills have another losing season? Then where are we without a credible backup in the pipeline? It's a huge risk for this team putting it all on fitz ... You only go "naked" on a backup if you know for sure you already have an elite QB.

Signing the highest paid DE in league history. No way do you do that if you want to wait 2-3 years on a developmental QB...

Signing Mario is consistent with win now and the larger good. He is a proven player and was acquired in FA. There was not a choice to make between him and another player who could have helped the team more in the long run. Such choices are made in the draft and in two drafts, I have not seen a single player selected by Buddy in the early rounds who would contribute immediately but not necessarily be the best at his position.

Sounds like Rob Johnson.

I could see a scenario where Tannehill falls all the way to 22. This is just more smoke.

Also 'sounds' like Ben Roethlisberger. What is your point ? That every QB with those measurables is RJ ?

Buddy said "win now" two years ago when he was first hired. He also said he wants to build a team that will be superbowl competitive well into the future like the Patriots and the Steelers. That means finding and developing a QB that can play in three or four years. Selecting Tannehill would not be "eating his words", it would be keeping his word.

It's not a one round draft, jjmac.

Not, it is not, but for obvious reasons the 1st round is the most important. With the win now philosophy at One Bills Drive, you won't do it with a rookie QB, not with the roster we currently have and the change in defensive system.

I have not seen a single player selected by Buddy in the early rounds who would contribute immediately but not necessarily be the best at his position.

That doesn't fit the Tannehill profile then. The only way he's "best at his position" at #10 is because this is such a weak year for QBs...

Also 'sounds' like Ben Roethlisberger. What is your point ? That every QB with those measurables is RJ ?

Yeah and I forgot to mention extremely mobile too. With that said sounds like can newton too ... Guy whose physical attributes are impeccable but issue is lack of games played.

With the Bills spending draft picks and big free agency money on the defense I think they are going to continue to try and build a credible defensive unit. While they could pursue this through the later rounds, 2-4, I believe they will continue to shore up one of the worst defenses in the league. While the offense has been below average, especially in games against tougher defenses, the defense absolutely buried this team last year. We fired George Edwards and kept the Offensive coaches, I believe this is a vote of confidence in the offense. The Bills' spread Offense seems to be more reliant on the run than the pass and drafting a future QB would run opposite to this trend. Freddie and CJ drive the Offense, make it work, Fitz is an ok point guard, who is adept at handing the ball off. Tannehill, with a strong arm but little experience, would be valuable a few years from now if he pans out but the Bills would have to then work to equip him with better receivers and tight ends. I still believe defense is the pick this year and Tannehill is just a wild card thrown out there to generate interest in trading with the Bills to beat out the Chiefs.

There is no chance of this happening.

Buddy Nix isn't going to draft a player who's played only 19 games, especially a quarterback.

Casserly, that was a well played LOL.

There is a better (yet slight) chance of Nix trading out of that spot.

The odds are however, he'll select a player with 3-4 years of productivity, from a southern school in a southern conference just like Spiller and Dareus.

What leads people to believe Buddy Nix is going to break trend here?

I could pick apart your post but I'll just concede there's another side. But unless you're a relative I dont see how anyone can unconditionally say fitz is the guy, no question. So what happens if the doubters are right and it's more of the same from him next year and bills have another losing season? Then where are we without a credible backup in the pipeline? It's a huge risk for this team putting it all on fitz ... You only go "naked" on a backup if you know for sure you already have an elite QB.

There are a lot of people who know a lot about football who believe the Bills are just fine with Fitz. Complain about the second half of the season last year all you want, but there is plenty of justification for the overall diminished performance of Fitz and the TEAM.

Why is it that Fitz's detractors completely ignore how he played during the 5-2 start, when he had a healthy OL and a (mostly) healthy WR corps? Even then, he still didn't have a viable #2 WR.

We need a player that is going to come in and have an impact. Tanny is going to have an immediate negative impact just by his presence.

Please explain. You think that Fitz's psychi is so fragile that having a developmental QB, someone other than Thigpen and Brad Smith, on the roster will derail his mental balance?

Please explain. You think that Fitz's psychi is so fragile that having a developmental QB, someone other than Thigpen and Brad Smith, on the roster will derail his mental balance?

Not getting any immediate help from your #10 pick would be a bucket of water dumped on the excited feeling we're hearing about teamwide for the upcoming season...

If Tannehill is there at 10 (which I doubt), they'll take him.

You don't sign Mario Williams and then delude yourself into thinking Fitzpatrick can carry the offense. Half-steps won't cut it.

They need a franchise QB and this may be the best chance to draft one for a few years.

Don't know why this is hard to figure out, but it probably won't matter because someone else (Miami) likely will grab him.

Signing Mario is consistent with win now and the larger good. He is a proven player and was acquired in FA. There was not a choice to make between him and another player who could have helped the team more in the long run. Such choices are made in the draft and in two drafts, I have not seen a single player selected by Buddy in the early rounds who would contribute immediately but not necessarily be the best at his position.

My point is: a lot of QBs can "make all the throws". A lot of QBs are 6'4". But not a lot of QBs are franchise guys. It seems like there is some healthy debate as to whether Tannehill is a franchise guy, with guys like Polian and Parcells saying he's a developmental project.

BTW - Isn't Roethlisberger a lot bigger?

Bills were 6 up, 10 down giving him the ball last year. Guy lead the league in picks. How is sticking with him a "win now" mentality?

Look at the talent (or lack thereof) around him. Do you think a rookie could do any better?