Casserly: Buffalo picks Tannehill

I wouldn't be against it if they really think about letting him sit for a year and not listen to the fans...the guy needs some time to develop.

As for developing QB's, lets not forget that Gailey groomed Trent Edwards to be the starter over Fitz. What happened with Edwards, Brohn, Brown? I don't see Gailey having enough time to develop any QB if he is devoting all his time to setting up the game plans, calling plays. Just being an NFL head coach can put some serious bags under the eyes.

It wouldn't be the first time the Bills had a 1st round selection ride the bench for awhile..:devil:

Edited by Fear the Beard

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember when we picked cj spiller it was a shock. I think only one or two people had him as our pick in their mock draft. i think it will be the best player like it always is with these groups of people and we all know he isnt the best pick at #10. He is a 2nd rd qb

I could see it. These guys have nothing behind fitz and they do like developing QBs. I also don't believe they're totally sold on fitz.

I am with you. I can totally see it. I will say that I heard that if we dont' go QB in round 1, we will take Brandon Wheedon from OSU in the 2nd.

Let's win now already. I don't want our 1st round pick to be a developmental player. Give us someone who steps in day one and makes an immmediate impact to build on the Mario Williams momentum and push toward the playoffs. To me, the LB from BC makes the most sense.

Tannehill is this years Gabbert, a QB no one was talking about that suddenly is hot crap. The draft pundits need to fluff up a bunch of QBs every year. Maybe the agents are driving it?

In 2011, after Cam Newton, it was Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Kaeprnick, Mallet and Dalton. Dalton broke through. Ponder at least is playing. Gabbert struggled and the rest are on the bench.

Nix just said yesterday that the player they take @ 10 had to contribute immediately. That rules out Tannehill. If he drops to 10 I expect a trade down assuming anyone actually wants Tannehill that bad.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just finished watching path to the draft and Casserly said he great information that if Ryan Tannehill is available at 10 the Bills will take him. Also Said Fitz contract is club friendly and that there is not a lot of guaranteed money going forward and that we have to of the best coaches in the League to coach QBs and that T-hill could sit for a year to develop and that he wont be surprised if we take him. All I can say to that is please Lord Jesus.

That may be what Casserly would have done when he was a GM, but I'm fairly certain that it's not what Buddy won't do it. Honestly, I rather hope he does not.

I am with you. I can totally see it. I will say that I heard that if we dont' go QB in round 1, we will take Brandon Wheedon from OSU in the 2nd.

I can't see us taking Weeden. If they want a young QB to develop, I don't see too much sense in taking a guy who's almost the same age as the guy we already have.

Tannehill is this years Gabbert, a QB no one was talking about that suddenly is hot crap. The draft pundits need to fluff up a bunch of QBs every year. Maybe the agents are driving it?

In 2011, after Cam Newton, it was Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Kaeprnick, Mallet and Dalton. Dalton broke through. Ponder at least is playing. Gabbert struggled and the rest are on the bench.

Nix just said yesterday that the player they take @ 10 had to contribute immediately. That rules out Tannehill. If he drops to 10 I expect a trade down assuming anyone actually wants Tannehill that bad.

PTR

I'm no RT fan, but he is better than Gabbert. Gabbert threw 16 tds in a spread offense and had played QB his whole career. Additionally, no one has ever questioned his toughest like thay have Blaine's RT's upside is much higher than BG IMO.

And I just can't wait for the draft. If someone in the Bills' FO did let this info slip and they really intend to take RT, they should be fired. however if this is just a smoke screen to drum up business, well played. I really don't think the Bills will pick RT. Especially if his college coach passes on him. That said, I'd trust Gailey.

Buddy said "win now" and I believe him. He's always been a straight shooter, so I can't see him eating his words with a Tannehill pick...

It's cool as a fan that Buddy is so honest. but as a GM, I'd love for him to lie liek he has 5 Bourbons on the rocks. As a GM, it is important to be a great bluffer.

How do you know we could trade up for "at most, a 3rd round pick"? Oh wait, you don't. Buddys philosophy is about acquiring draft picks, not trading them away. It doesn't mean they don't want him if he falls to us. If we like Kuechly or Gilmore, why don't we trade up to secure them? There's a good chance one of them is taken before us, if not both. Answer is simple, nix values his draft picks as much as anyone and trading multiple picks for 1 pick isn't his style. I have no idea of they like Tannehill, but I know they like their draft picks. If he's there at 8 and we select him, I'm all for it.

Yeah but your missing the point. If the Bills were sold on Tannehill they would find away to move up to #7 & make sure they get him before the phins do. I think this is a big smokescreen. With that being said I would not mind seeing them grab Thill. He would be in a perfect scenerio where he could sit for a year & learn the game.

I just cant see us taking him. We have more needs that need to be addressed first.

It's all about value. Lets say the Bills like Gilmore and Barron but they go to Miami and Carolina. Buffalo thinks Kuechly is a middle LB and have Sheppard there whom Buddy likes. What then? After Gilmore and Barron, There are no players that have that can't miss quality except DeCastro and perhaps Cox. So, unless you want to select a guard at #10 or a DT, why not Tannehill?

It's all about value. Lets say the Bills like Gilmore and Barron but they go to Miami and Carolina. Buffalo thinks Kuechly is a middle LB and have Sheppard there whom Buddy likes. What then? After Gilmore and Barron, There are no players that have that can't miss quality except DeCastro and perhaps Cox. So, unless you want to select a guard at #10 or a DT, why not Tannehill?

Not unless you cut Fitz, and i don't think the team will do that. Buddy and Chan want to win now, and you won't be able to accomplish that with Tannehill. He's not as prepared to enter the league as Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were.

Buddy said "win now" and I believe him. He's always been a straight shooter, so I can't see him eating his words with a Tannehill pick...

Buddy said "win now" two years ago when he was first hired. He also said he wants to build a team that will be superbowl competitive well into the future like the Patriots and the Steelers. That means finding and developing a QB that can play in three or four years. Selecting Tannehill would not be "eating his words", it would be keeping his word.

Not unless you cut Fitz, and i don't think the team will do that. Buddy and Chan want to win now, and you won't be able to accomplish that with Tannehill. He's not as prepared to enter the league as Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were.

It's not a one round draft, jjmac.

Bills were 6 up, 10 down giving him the ball last year. Guy lead the league in picks. How is sticking with him a "win now" mentality?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm no RT fan, but he is better than Gabbert. Gabbert threw 16 tds in a spread offense and had played QB his whole career. Additionally, no one has ever questioned his toughest like thay have Blaine's RT's upside is much higher than BG IMO.

I'm not sure you're in any position to be making QB evaluations after what you said a few days ago (which I cannot bring myself to repeat!) :P