The Bell has gonged: Reiff is our guy

Just like bulaga a few yrs back, Reiff will not be the pick. Why, because you dont take Right tackles and guards in the top 10.

I agree. Nix will go best player available and nobody knows how picks 1-9 will fall and who will be there at 10 so predicting it is futile. If nobody they like is there and they have an offer from someone to trade down (not likely but a small chance for it) then they'll do it. I'm hoping the vikes go cornerback and start a chain reaction. We'll see.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not understanding what you're implying but I was not upset with the Spiller pick and I don't like Reiff.

Does that support your theory?

What is your theory?

Pretty simple theory, if at one time you disagreed with ANY pick that turned out ok then you can no longer criticize ANY pick ever again.

That's exactly it...He's not suited...Even some of his biggest fans, Scouts like Mayock that LOVE the guy, don't feel he's an NFL LT...It's not about his arms, or his build necessarily...It's about his ability to handle speed and power off the edge vs. the best the NFL has to offer at your QB's blindside...I honestly don't think there is any way Reiff could be a better NFL LT than Hairston...Especially as a Rookie, and especially after the experience Hairston got last Season...Just my opinion though... B-)

I've always assumed that Buddy was not of the opinion that Hairston was our LT and consequently thought we'd go OT at 10 because there is a far greater drop off in OTs than there is at WR and CB. However, I decided to go back and re-read some of the articles in which Hairston was discussed. I've now had an epiphany and think Hairston is our LT (for now). Check out some of the evidence:

"Hairston performed admirably early, but when he was pressed back into starting duty after missing three games he was eventually replaced by Bell once he was healthy again. In the eyes of Nix, Hairston just hasn’t arrived as an NFL player yet...'Chris Hairston I think can be a really good left tackle,' Nix said. 'He’s a rookie. It’s going to take him a little bit. He got some good experience this year.'"

This article seals the deal for me, making a compelling point for Hairston and pointing out Buddy's apparent tendencies for putting together OLs (can't believe I missed this article!): http://mobile.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/23/2896842/buffalo-bills-riley-reiff-jonathan-martin-2012-nfl-draft

Welcome to Buffalo Michael Floyd (or if he's drafted before we pick, Stephon Gilmore). Now I won't have to defend a pick that didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy!!!

I wonder how many people who don't like Reiff were upset when Spiller was picked two years ago?

Yep because Spiller was an explosive force that wreaked havoc on opposing defenses on the way to the Super Bowl which he was MVP of. The pick was totally validated by all of his major success and Pro Bowl appearances.

For the love of Marv, how many times do I have to say it.... RILEY REIFF IS A RIGHT TACKLE!

He played Right Tackle in college; never Left. He has short arms. He is a Bryan Bulaga clone. Bryan Bulaga played Right Tackle in college for Iowa and still plays Right Tackle in the pros. We do not need a Right Tackle. We need a left tackle.

Collegiate Left Tackles can be moved to Right Tackle and sometimes Guard. But a collegiate Right Tackle rarely (if ever) upgrades to Left Tackle in the pros.

Seriously people, please stop looking at who most have projected as the next best Tackle after Matt Kallil without doing the homework as to whether or not the player is an actual fit.

....... Tackle.

You might want to get your facts straight b4 you start farting our of your mouth. Riley Reiff has started the last 2 season at iowa as a left tackle. Just b/c NFL Network and ESPN says he as shorts arms he cannot be a LT. Get your head out of your ass. Yes long arms may help but its about the determination to kick the other players ass on the other side and he has that. I saw 6 games from him last year and he dominated. Tackles and guards out of iowa are a sure thing...and at 10 thats what you want. reiff will be a starter in the NFL for years to come.

You might want to get your facts straight b4 you start farting our of your mouth. Riley Reiff has started the last 2 season at iowa as a left tackle. Just b/c NFL Network and ESPN says he as shorts arms he cannot be a LT. Get your head out of your ass. Yes long arms may help but its about the determination to kick the other players ass on the other side and he has that. I saw 6 games from him last year and he dominated. Tackles and guards out of iowa are a sure thing...and at 10 thats what you want. reiff will be a starter in the NFL for years to come.

100 % Agree

So much misinformation and conflicting views out there about Reiff. What I will say is that over the last couple of years, the Bills have done a pretty job finding decent linemen. I trust the Bills talent evaluators to make a good decision about whether or not to draft (or whomever) when the pick comes in at 10. I don't see Buddy reaching.

And I don't see it a reach to take Reiff at #10. Gilmore/Floyd would be reaches... Gilmore not so much.. he's a very smooth DB but Reiff a reach, IMO No way.He's better than Bell is now so we upgrade a vital position of major need. If he's 20th on Mike Mayock's board,,,, well don't have a pick until 41 and he won't be there then. I would much rather pick a solid day 1 starter and grab one of 15-20 wide receivers that really good chances of making an impact on this team later on in rounds 2 or 3. I'd take Criner in round 3 or Randle in round 2 plus get DeCastro or Reiff in round 1 over going for Floyd who may be better than many WR's this year...I'm not convinced... but the gap is very small. To grab Floyd and then be forced to take a lineman that may or may not ever be pro material later on is not the way to go for me. We'll see.

Give Me Reiff/DeCastro and Randle and you take Floyd and Bobby Massie or Nate Potter and I think my team is much more talented Day 1.

If we take DeCastro he starts Day 1.. If we take Reiff he starts Day 1 @ LT.. RT if you want to start Hairston to give Reiff a little time @ RT. Do we really have to worry abour Erik Pears feelings, He's a bench warmer that's had his few games so he can tell his grankids he started. We need to get playmakers not just guys,Reiff/DeCastro/Wood/Levitre are superior players where as Urbik and Pears are not what you need if you want a SUPERIOR line.

I guess we'll know what the brass thinks come the 26th. I'm hoping Floyd is gone so I won't be worrying about picking him and we get around to filling a major position of need with a SUPERIOR player. :thumbsup:

GO IRISH !!! :worthy: ---> :sick:

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

Seeing that our last two starting LTs were drafted in the 7th round. Why would we reach at our 1st pick to get one. We have shown that we can do just fine with later picks at this position.Go more impact player at this spot WR LB or corner.Just think if we pick a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd what they could do with .

I disagree wholeheartedly with the bolded statement.

Robert Gallery was the surest thing in the draft the year he came out and went #2 overall to the raiders. He couldn't play lt so they tried rt when he couldn't play there they bumped him to guard. He wasn't resigned moved on to the seahawks who cut him to save salary this year. Not exactly a sure thing.

Bryan Bulaga has fared much better on the right side. He was blocked from lt by chad clifton and has yet to play lt. He was drafted 23 overall and has performed well in his role.

Eric Steinbach was drafted in the second round and has been excellent at guard for his career. However he sat out all of last year with a back injury.

So the 3 player I listed were all big ten offensive lineman of the year players. The value of Bulaga and Steinbach is because the were much later than the 10th pick. If either were taken there it would have been a stretch. However the Bills are looking for a LT! Which Iowa guys have yet to prove being capable of playing, and are certainly not the best value or a sure thing as you state.

LT is never the BPA in the first round when you are picking in the top 10. This team has proven for several years that you can find an adequate LT outside of the 1st round. Bell was a nobody who guys here predicted would have gone to the Pro Bowl this year, and are mourning th efact that we didn't re-sign him. Peters was an TE who they stuck in at tackle.

It would be a shame not to pick a player who will not have an immediate impact. That's probably going to be WR, or even TE.

It must be the benadryl and sudafed but I'm still not following.

Reiff hasn't been drafted yet.

What am I missing?

I'm guessing his point is reiff=bulaga. If you wouldn't want reiff this year why were you upset about spiller over bulaga, but argue for someone like a WR or CB over reiff today.

But that's a guess

LT is never the BPA in the first round when you are picking in the top 10. This team has proven for several years that you can find an adequate LT outside of the 1st round. Bell was a nobody who guys here predicted would have gone to the Pro Bowl this year, and are mourning th efact that we didn't re-sign him. Peters was an TE who they stuck in at tackle.

It would be a shame not to pick a player who will not have an immediate impact. That's probably going to be WR, or even TE.

Well, I don't know about a TE but you're certainly right about where LTs can be had. There's no denying this with the Bill's drafting of the position over the years. Furthermore, it speaks volumes in regards to how Buddy and Co. value the position. By their estimation, taking Hairston in the 4th was very high. Personally, I like the approach as long as they do draft for depth and competition at the position.

Pretty simple theory, if at one time you disagreed with ANY pick that turned out ok then you can no longer criticize ANY pick ever again.

:huh:

And you're saying the Bills are better off with Spiller than they would be had they kept Lynch and Drafted say...Jason Pierre-Paul for one example? B-)

And I don't see it a reach to take Reiff at #10. Reiff a reach, IMO No way. He's better than Bell is now so we upgrade a vital position of major need. If he's 20th on Mike Mayock's board,,,, well don't have a pick until 41 and he won't be there then. I would much rather pick a solid day 1 starter

If we take Reiff he starts Day 1 @ LT.. RT if you want to start Hairston to give Reiff a little time @ RT. Do we really have to worry abour Erik Pears feelings, He's a bench warmer that's had his few games so he can tell his grankids he started. We need to get playmakers not just guys,Reiff/DeCastro/Wood/Levitre are superior players where as Urbik and Pears are not what you need if you want a SUPERIOR line.

How is it that you've decided all the things that I've bolded?

Robert Gallery was the surest thing in the draft the year he came out and went #2 overall to the raiders. He couldn't play lt so they tried rt when he couldn't play there they bumped him to guard. He wasn't resigned moved on to the seahawks who cut him to save salary this year. Not exactly a sure thing.

Bryan Bulaga has fared much better on the right side. He was blocked from lt by chad clifton and has yet to play lt. He was drafted 23 overall and has performed well in his role.

Eric Steinbach was drafted in the second round and has been excellent at guard for his career. However he sat out all of last year with a back injury.

So the 3 player I listed were all big ten offensive lineman of the year players. The value of Bulaga and Steinbach is because the were much later than the 10th pick. If either were taken there it would have been a stretch. However the Bills are looking for a LT! Which Iowa guys have yet to prove being capable of playing, and are certainly not the best value or a sure thing as you state.

Yes, recent highly-touted Iowa O-linemen have been pretty stiff and unathletic. Well-coached but pretty average. None of them have been elite and as you pointed out, none of them are worthy of a Top 10 pick. Steinbach has been the best of them by far and from what I've seen, Reiff is not the best of the lot.

Just like bulaga a few yrs back, Reiff will not be the pick. Why, because you dont take Right tackles and guards in the top 10.

Have you ever heard of Anthony Munoz? Jake Long? Heck, where was Boselli taken?

The devil, you say! :nana:

Great strategy. Lets wait for four years for an undrafted guy like Peters to play LT and three years before the 7th round pick like Bell is any good at LT.

I've always assumed that Buddy was not of the opinion that Hairston was our LT and consequently thought we'd go OT at 10 because there is a far greater drop off in OTs than there is at WR and CB. However, I decided to go back and re-read some of the articles in which Hairston was discussed. I've now had an epiphany and think Hairston is our LT (for now). Check out some of the evidence:

"Hairston performed admirably early, but when he was pressed back into starting duty after missing three games he was eventually replaced by Bell once he was healthy again. In the eyes of Nix, Hairston just hasn’t arrived as an NFL player yet...'Chris Hairston I think can be a really good left tackle,' Nix said. 'He’s a rookie. It’s going to take him a little bit. He got some good experience this year.'"

This article seals the deal for me, making a compelling point for Hairston and pointing out Buddy's apparent tendencies for putting together OLs (can't believe I missed this article!): http://mobile.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/23/2896842/buffalo-bills-riley-reiff-jonathan-martin-2012-nfl-draft

Welcome to Buffalo Michael Floyd (or if he's drafted before we pick, Stephon Gilmore). Now I won't have to defend a pick that didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy!!!

Good article...And it pretty much mirrors my thoughts (albeit far more detailed)...I just can't see picking a Rookie LT at #10 Overall unless The Bills are 100% sure that kid can beat out Hairston...Especially when you'll have guys like Gilmore, Floyd, and Kuechly, one of which will certainly be available, who can come in and contribute immediately...

I think everyone in the Country, and many Bills Fans, are selling Hairston quite short...He was a Rookie with ZERO off-season and mini-camps...And he held his own...Name one Rookie LT that did not struggle just a bit?...He's a smart kid who seems to be hard worker...He played a ton of Football in College...And he's a massive, strong man who can dominate if he's technically sound...Plus he's got 7 NFL starts under his belt...Just don't see any of these OT's not named Kalil bringing that to the table as a Rookie...And The Bills already have a RT, so bringing someone in to play RT as a Rookie is a waste of a Draft Pick... B-)

And I don't see it a reach to take Reiff at #10. Gilmore/Floyd would be reaches... Gilmore not so much.. he's a very smooth DB but Reiff a reach, IMO No way.He's better than Bell is now so we upgrade a vital position of major need. If he's 20th on Mike Mayock's board,,,, well don't have a pick until 41 and he won't be there then. I would much rather pick a solid day 1 starter and grab one of 15-20 wide receivers that really good chances of making an impact on this team later on in rounds 2 or 3. I'd take Criner in round 3 or Randle in round 2 plus get DeCastro or Reiff in round 1 over going for Floyd who may be better than many WR's this year...I'm not convinced... but the gap is very small. To grab Floyd and then be forced to take a lineman that may or may not ever be pro material later on is not the way to go for me. We'll see.

Give Me Reiff/DeCastro and Randle and you take Floyd and Bobby Massie or Nate Potter and I think my team is much more talented Day 1.

If we take DeCastro he starts Day 1.. If we take Reiff he starts Day 1 @ LT.. RT if you want to start Hairston to give Reiff a little time @ RT. Do we really have to worry abour Erik Pears feelings, He's a bench warmer that's had his few games so he can tell his grankids he started. We need to get playmakers not just guys,Reiff/DeCastro/Wood/Levitre are superior players where as Urbik and Pears are not what you need if you want a SUPERIOR line.

I guess we'll know what the brass thinks come the 26th. I'm hoping Floyd is gone so I won't be worrying about picking him and we get around to filling a major position of need with a SUPERIOR player. :thumbsup:

So you hope Floyd is gone before our pick?

It seems you're warming up to the idea that Floyd in fact IS worthy of the 10th overall, right?

Nix said flat out he is taking a OT early, it's just a matter of whether it is in the first, second or third round. He said there are 2-3 that can start right away, that would be the first round, and there are a few that can be had in rounds 2-3 that can start in one year. But he said we are taking a top tackle AND one we can develop.

To me, Chris Brown whose quote is below, may be reading too much into the words Nix said. To me, Nix meant we're taking a top tackle in the first 2-3 rounds, and we'll take one in the later rounds to develop. And not that they would plan on taking one in the first round, and then another in the second or third.

Heading into the draft, with Demetrius Bell still drifting out in free agency, Buffalo has a pressing positional need at left tackle. Appearing on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Bills GM Buddy Nix didn't deny the need even indicating they may dip into the offensive tackle talent pool more than once in late April.

"Depth at tackle is problem," said Nix. "We've got depth inside. We've got guards and centers that can play in there. Last year we lost two left tackles and Levitre moved out there and he did a commendable job, but we've got to have at least one top tackle in the draft and another guy that we can develop."

Nix believes there are "two or three" offensive tackles in the draft class that can start on day one. He obviously would not divulge the names of those prospects. What's interesting is the Bills GM may it sound as if the club may take a second tackle in the draft even if they take one early.

"We've got some guys that would hopefully be second or third round guys that we think in one year can be a starter for you," said Nix. 'It's not bad for tackles."

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Have you ever heard of Anthony Munoz? Jake Long? Heck, where was Boselli taken?

The devil, you say! :nana:

Those guys were blindside protectors, reiff and bulaga aren't.

I said you don't take right tackles and guards early, now if you want to nitpick about it and say boselli played RT in Jax, that's b/c he had the lefty brunell playing qb. The point is that non blind side protectors and into. Olineman can be had later in the draft and that's what rieff is.

I'd much rather go Gilmore, Jeffrey, osweiler, potter, but that's just my preference.

You have NO idea how happy I am that you're not making the decisions at OBD... :thumbsup:

And Reiff is better Bell? Reiff will start at LT from day #1? How could you possibly come to those conclusions?

So your plan is to bench an OG and RT and that's going to be your main plan to help this Team needs to make a Playoff run? :blink: ...The same OG's and RT that were blocking for Freddie when he was Top 5 in the league in rushing, and yards from scrimmage...The same OG's and RT that were blocking for Fitz when he was one of the least Sacked QB's in the league?...

Look...Most Teams can upgrade their OG and RT positions in theory...But The Bills are trying to build a Championship TEAM...That means a whole TEAM...When you have serviceable players at positions like RT and OG, players who do not break the bank and are seemingly good team guys...Why the heck rock that boat when there are other FAR more pressing needs? It makes no sense...At least not to me...So...Just saying... B-)

Im not on the floyd wagon.

Id take Ingram/ gilmore then jeffrey @ 41.

Dude you're on every single thread talking about Alshon Jeffrey. There are at least ten guys I would rather have at #41 than him. And two of them are receivers. Now to weigh in on taking Reiff at #10...NO. You can get a serviceable to above-average tackle anywhere in the draft or free agency. Hell, look at Bell/Peters. I'm not worried about tackle right now, especially since Chan can seemingly make any line look halfway decent. Get Michael Floyd and let him work his magic.

Hahahahaha aha I had to lol at this one. Reiff better than bell??? He's never played a down in the NFL! Wow some of the people on this board... I tell ya... I'm glad most of you reiff guys arent our GM cause you would be ruining the team. Seriously reiff is garbage. At BEST he's a rt. I don't even see him STARTINGat rt. Just look at all the EXPERTS and what there saying about him. Also his name just reeeeeeeaks of bust. Reiff leaf? Jk but seriously come on guys. And for all this not Floyd we can take a receiver in later rounds. Oh yeah besides stevie that's worked out really good the past couple years. If you want good receiver you draft them early. 2 best WR prospects in this years draft are Blackmon and Floyd. After that the quality of WRs dips very low and then there's about 4 or 5 decent receivers and then another big drop off. So you guys wanna wait til the 3rd or 4th to draft our no. 2 receiver??? Lololol first of all receivers are gonnna go quick and hard in this draft. It isn't is deep as everyone thinks. After Floyd you got wright and hill, who will both be gone in the first, then sanu and Jeffery who will be gone in the 2nd. So what... Pur number 2 WR is gonna be mcnutt? No thank you. I want a true no.2 receiver not a project receiver that may or may not EVER develope. If we want a true play maker/impact player we go Floyd,Gilmore,kueckly, or decastro simple as that. Why pick reiff when there's better LT prospects like glenn or potter. I'm not trying to bash on anyone's opinions but this reiff is an option at 10 has got to stop. Mark my words it's not gonna happen and if it does buddy will lose all my respect been after what he's done this offseason but I can't see him reaching that far to grab a RT at best

We are picking Reiff/DeCastro in round 1. If they are both gone that would be quite a bad thing but one or both should still be there . There are 15-20 receivers in this draft with good talent. There are not very many starting tackles. Take the lineman or you don't get one.. Simple as that.

Beginning to look like OT or WR in the 1st round alright, leaning toward OT now that Bell has resigned elsewhere.

Anyway you look at it, though, we have an upgrade over last year.

Dude you're on every single thread talking about Alshon Jeffrey. There are at least ten guys I would rather have at #41 than him. And two of them are receivers. Now to weigh in on taking Reiff at #10...NO. You can get a serviceable to above-average tackle anywhere in the draft or free agency. Hell, look at Bell/Peters. I'm not worried about tackle right now, especially since Chan can seemingly make any line look halfway decent. Get Michael Floyd and let him work his magic.

what can I say, I believe in the talent of jeffrey, and I feel that there are bigger needs at 10 than an overrated golden domer.

Beginning to look like OT or WR in the 1st round alright, leaning toward OT now that Bell has resigned elsewhere.

Anyway you look at it, though, we have an upgrade over last year.

At WR I would agree...At least when you're comparing most 1st and 2nd Round prospect WR's in this Draft to Donald Jones...

But you really think any of these OT's not named Kalil is an upgrade over Hairston? The same Hairston who has a full season under his belt and 7 NFL starts? I'm interested as to why some folks are assuming Reiff, Martin, Glenn, or Adams would be an automatic upgrade over Hairston? Because I just don't see it...And maybe it is just me...I don't know... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

We are picking Reiff/DeCastro in round 1. If they are both gone that would be quite a bad thing but one or both should still be there . There are 15-20 receivers in this draft with good talent. There are not very many starting tackles. Take the lineman or you don't get one.. Simple as that.

I suppose you're right, but then again imagine drafting a decent OT at #2 and a WR like Floyd at #1. Pretty big nightmare for opposing defenses, wouldn't you say?

Four WR set and we throw Floyd, Johnson, Nelson, and Easley at them in a 4 WR set. Well, who is going to cover all those guys.......................answer is no team can!!

Great strategy. Lets wait for four years for an undrafted guy like Peters to play LT and three years before the 7th round pick like Bell is any good at LT.

Peters started 10 games his second year, all 16 his 3rd. He could have started at LT before that.

Bell had 8 starts in his second year and started all 16 his third.

Guys here were clamoring for a mediocre LT like Bell to be re-signed.

The point is you don't need a "franchise LT" (whatever that is) becuase despite what they are paid, as a single indivdual on an O-line, they have limited impact. It's the nature of the position. Name one team that drafted an LT in the top 10 who is better off because of it. Miami? Cleveland?

Fitz took a beating last year, but he had the fewest sacks, hits, pressures than any other starting QB--even with an O-line filled with subs. How does that get significantly better with a frist round LT--that some are saying would have to compete with Urbik for a starting job?

This is simple, spend the top 10 pick on a guy who will help score points (directly). That's just not the LT.