Why is Trent Richardson in Buffalo?

Per Chris Brown:

The Bills just like every other NFL club are doing their due diligence in the final weeks prior to the NFL draft. Part of that process is pre-draft visits as they tie up any remaining loose ends on prospects. Buffalobills.com has learned that a pair of players widely forecast as first round picks and two other top prospects are making such visits to One Bills Drive today. Alabama RB Trent Richardson and Ohio State OT Mike Adams are the headliners with Syracuse DL Chandler Jones and Wisconsin QB Russell Wilson also visiting.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Richardson-headlines-top-draft-talent-visiting-Bills/0219468d-f1e1-4923-84c6-4387e1538e3c

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Chris Brown:

The Bills just like every other NFL club are doing their due diligence in the final weeks prior to the NFL draft. Part of that process is pre-draft visits as they tie up any remaining loose ends on prospects. Buffalobills.com has learned that a pair of players widely forecast as first round picks and two other top prospects are making such visits to One Bills Drive today. Alabama RB Trent Richardson and Ohio State OT Mike Adams are the headliners with Syracuse DL Chandler Jones and Wisconsin QB Russell Wilson also visiting.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Richardson-headlines-top-draft-talent-visiting-Bills/0219468d-f1e1-4923-84c6-4387e1538e3c

Maybe we're targeting him? :D

I'd hate to say it but if they really like him a lot, he could be the pick and bye bye Freddie. In Buddy I trust.

If that were to happen Nix will have spent 2 top 10 picks on RBs in just 3 drafts.

Can someone say NFL Executive of the Year?!

Per Chris Brown:

Due diligence coupled with the fact that maybe some team which covets him would be willing to jump up to 10 and get him if he's still there. Smokescreen season. Why not let people think you're interested and entice someone to come up and get him? Buddy might not trade up but I bet he'd be willing to trade down.

Due diligence coupled with the fact that maybe some team which covets him would be willing to jump up to 10 and get him if he's still there. Smokescreen season. Why not let people think you're interested and entice someone to come up and get him? Buddy might not trade up but I bet he'd be willing to trade down.

I see your point, but who really believes we would draft him at #10?

Edited by jjmac

Buddy is dumb enough to bring him in for a visit but smart enough not to draft him. Which just doesn't make any sense... Well in days like this I make myself feel better by remembering the jets using their 1st round pick on Mike Nugent and suddenly I feel better...

He was a secound round pick :)

If he's there at 10 this would be best case for Buffalo. Surely, someone would jump up for TR as he will be the best player available. I suspect he'll be gone, however.

Per Chris Brown:

Smoke and mirrors.

However, why not?

Per Chris Brown:

Chris Brown basically said, "don't have this discussion, it's just due diligence." Oh well, at least he tried.

Edited by NickelCity

I think Richardson will either be a Brown or Buccaneer. He could even go #3 in a Bucs trading up to the Vikings pick.

If he did get past the Bucs then Dallas would no doubt trade up to get him. The odds of Richardson making it to #10 are very small.

I'd hate to say it but if they really like him a lot, he could be the pick and bye bye Freddie. In Buddy I trust.

After all of the extension comments, I think it would hurt the Bills reputation not to extend Freddie.

Even in business, reputation matters.

Per Chris Brown:

Because he is available in this years draft. I hope that other teams just below us are looking at it just in case he does fall to us. If we don't see a day 1 starter at a position of need at #10 and someone wants to trade up for Richardson, AWESOME!

Smoke and mirrors.

However, why not?

You can talk to him in expectation of playing against him, to get info on teammates, all kinds of stuff. I bet practicing against that bama defense is a topic of conversation without tipping hands about interest in someone else, for example.

The first attachment is SI's Don Banks most recent mock draft. What is striking is how much Alabama players dominate the list. In his draft there are five Alabama players who will be taken in the first round. Under Nick Saban the Crimson Tide are not only talented but well coached.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/04/04/nfl.mock.draft.4/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t13_a0

The second attachment is Bucky Brooks's ranking of players. What is interesting is his comments on the OTs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82814011/article/richardson-ranks-as-no-3-overall-prospect-in-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_content_stream

Edited by JohnC

Maybe we want some other team to think we might draft Richardson???

Or maybe - with our new QB coach - we're going to create a cutting-edge offensive attack with 3 RBs in the game at the same time????

:blink:

This is incredible! They got the guards in the backfield! The center's on the right! And the quarterback isn't even there! :o

The only players I wouldn't interview/spend time on are the ones I don't ever want on this team. Short of that, I'd interview everybody.

What is a GM's #1 job? Make decisions about players. Most of the time, most managers don't get enough info, and have to make decisions based on what they do have. You are asking why a manager, in any business, absent pressure to make a decision, would take an opportunity to get quality first hand info with little effort/cost? Actually this is a no brainer, isn't it?

Consider: What happens in 4 years if Richardson is a FA, I'm the GM and I need a RB? Is he worth the money? How is he as a person? What about his football IQ? It would help if I had a chance to meet with him personally when he was just a college kid, ask him about things that are important to me, etc., and then compile that info with everything else I have gathered over the last 4 years.

Right?

Maybe we want some other team to think we might draft Richardson???

Or maybe - with our new QB coach - we're going to create a cutting-edge offensive attack with 3 RBs in the game at the same time????

:blink:

You mean cutting edge like the wishbone?