Why is Trent Richardson in Buffalo?

God forbid the Bills front office does its due diligence.

PTR

I get the 'due diligence' argument. But not really. Are we doing due diligence on Luck and RGIII? So why do due diligence on Richardson when we know we won't draft him? Even if he fell to #10, we wouldn't take him. Would we? Any chance he falls to the second round???

We don't fly everyone to One Bills Drive. Why Richardson?

Smoke screen? Maybe. But would we waste Richardson's time as part of some odd deception plan?

Are we considering trading one of our other backs if we have the chance to get Richardson at #10?

I understand why we're doing due diligence on these other guys. But Richardson confounds me.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's remember our new Offensive Coordinator: Lee. He ran the wildcat at Arkansas with Felix Jones and McFadden - and again in Miami with Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. So, we bring in Richardson, who is supposed to be as close to an Adrian Peterson type running back since Adrian Peterson. Why? Well, if we aren't interested, at least teams will have to wonder, if he falls to 10, whether we are, given those circumstances mentioned. Increase trade value?

I hope you caught my sarcasm.

There are some things you don't joke about, because they're too serious and hit too close to home. And because they hurt too much. The possibility of the Bills' front office squandering yet another first round pick on a RB is one of those things.

Hey, everyone used to make fun of the Lions for drafting WR's. THey made the playoffs before we did. If the Bills think Richardson is the next Adrian Peterson, you HAVE to take him. IN fact, I wouldn't mind if they took Richardson, Adams, Jones, and Wilson. Doubt Adams slides to Rd. 2, but that would be a nice draft class.

What if Cleveland takes Tannehill at 4, then they might offer 22 and 37 to move up for Richardson - If they take Richardson at 4 they have zero chance at getting Tannehill.

I think this is a strategy to make teams like Cleveland know that we looked into him and will take him if they don't trade back up. Would be a good draft for CLE and BUF if that happened. We could trade down, get more picks, and they can get the RB and QB they really need.

No way he drops to #10.

Probably not… but as a reference point, Adrian Peterson went 7th overall.

We need more runners!

LOL!

The second attachment is Bucky Brooks's ranking of players. What is interesting is his comments on the OTs.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._content_stream

Okay so Bucky Brooks "played the game" in the NFL and none of us did. Also he gets paid to voice his opinions and we don't.

That said, I don't trust his player evaluations at all.

Cleveland will draft him. They almost have to.

The one thing I will say as far as the possibility of Richardson sliding as far as #10 is that at no time in the history of professional football has the position of running back been discounted so much.

Today's game is a passing game and teams employ committees at running back because careers are short, injuries are prevalent, and it helps keep costs down by paying two non-stars.

If ever there was a time when a talent like Richardson would slide, this would be the time.

HOWEVER, the one thing that should work in his favor is that the top of this draft looks pretty weak.

I get the 'due diligence' argument. But not really. Are we doing due diligence on Luck and RGIII? So why do due diligence on Richardson when we know we won't draft him? Even if he fell to #10, we wouldn't take him. Would we? Any chance he falls to the second round???

We don't fly everyone to One Bills Drive. Why Richardson?

Smoke screen? Maybe. But would we waste Richardson's time as part of some odd deception plan?

Are we considering trading one of our other backs if we have the chance to get Richardson at #10?

I understand why we're doing due diligence on these other guys. But Richardson confounds me.

Many reasons...

1. Even with Spiller and Fred on board, the Bills would hate to pass on a true blue chip stud RB if he fell to them. They owe it to themselves to see if this guy is merely a decent back (a la M Lynch) or the next Jim Brown. That is the due diligence part of the equation.

2. When the Bills talk to him, they can press him to gauge what interest other teams have shown in him. That helps them analyze their draft board and interpret where players may go in the draft. Also, perhaps they can get more intel about these other teams (in terms of strategy) gleaned from information that they may have shared with Richardson in interviews. Moreover, by doing a detailed analysis of the player, they have the opportunity to scout up close a player who could wind up playing for a division foe.

3. Smokescreens indeed. If the Bills convince the other 31 teams that they are interested in Richardson, that means that another team that really wants him will need to draft him within the first 9 picks, increasing the possibility that another player that the Bills may truly be interested in may slide.

4. On a related note, it opens trade possibilities for teams interested in Richardson. That means that such a team will either need to trade up with the Bills or one of the top 9 teams. In the former case, moving down a bit and adding extra picks is always a good thing. In the latter case see 3 above.

Hey, everyone used to make fun of the Lions for drafting WR's. THey made the playoffs before we did. If the Bills think Richardson is the next Adrian Peterson, you HAVE to take him. IN fact, I wouldn't mind if they took Richardson, Adams, Jones, and Wilson. Doubt Adams slides to Rd. 2, but that would be a nice draft class.

I think this is a strategy to make teams like Cleveland know that we looked into him and will take him if they don't trade back up. Would be a good draft for CLE and BUF if that happened. We could trade down, get more picks, and they can get the RB and QB they really need.

If you have four Hall of Fame WRs, you can put all four on the field at once. The defense can put their best CB on one, double cover another . . . but it's very hard for them to cover all four.

If you have four Hall of Fame running backs, odds are three will sit on the bench and watch, while the fourth gets all the carries. At least, that's how it's usually gone for the Bills. "Splitting carries" was discussed, but not actually done, back when the Bills had McGahee and Henry, or more recently Spiller and Jackson. But even if the Bills were to abandon their traditional policy of not splitting carries, you'd still only have one running back on the field at a time. The Bills have sometimes talked about their offense becoming more effective with a two RB set. Generally that's turned out to be a pipe dream. The two back set is talked about a lot more than it's actually used, and hasn't exactly set the world on fire when it has been used. This, despite having both Jackson and Spiller.

Besides all this, most of the WRs the Lions drafted didn't work out all that well. Some did, and have become significant components of the Lions' success. Most of that success, however, was obtained by drafting positions other than WR.

Finally, WRs tend to have longer careers than RBs. Also, WRs contribute a lot more to the passing game than do most RBs. The passing game is four times as important as the running game, which makes a good receiving corps a lot more important than a good stable of running backs.

Many reasons...

1. Even with Spiller and Fred on board, the Bills would hate to pass on a true blue chip stud RB if he fell to them. They owe it to themselves to see if this guy is merely a decent back (a la M Lynch) or the next Jim Brown. That is the due diligence part of the equation.

2. When the Bills talk to him, they can press him to gauge what interest other teams have shown in him. That helps them analyze their draft board and interpret where players may go in the draft. Also, perhaps they can get more intel about these other teams (in terms of strategy) gleaned from information that they may have shared with Richardson in interviews. Moreover, by doing a detailed analysis of the player, they have the opportunity to scout up close a player who could wind up playing for a division foe.

3. Smokescreens indeed. If the Bills convince the other 31 teams that they are interested in Richardson, that means that another team that really wants him will need to draft him within the first 9 picks, increasing the possibility that another player that the Bills may truly be interested in may slide.

4. On a related note, it opens trade possibilities for teams interested in Richardson. That means that such a team will either need to trade up with the Bills or one of the top 9 teams. In the former case, moving down a bit and adding extra picks is always a good thing. In the latter case see 3 above.

Okay... I guess I'm buying this.

If this guy is the next Jim Brown, I want him. Otherwise, I'm very content with Jackson/Spiller and don't want another good back. Too many other, bigger needs.

Cleveland will draft him. They almost have to.

Cleveland needs a QB, WR, RB. They'll have the pick of the litter. I'm not so sure Richardson is the the pick at #4. As I've written in another post, I CAN see Miami being dumb enough to trade up to No. 3 to draft Tannehill. If that happens -- Yeah, he's Cleveland's guy.

I disagree. That's a Donahoe move. Jackson is a team leader and greatly respected by everyone. Unless you make Spiller a WR, no way you take Richardson.

Check out this rebound. Nix drafted Spiller with Lynch and Jackson... What's the difference?

What if Richardson is Adrian Peterson or better, you don't take him?

Maybe we want some other team to think we might draft Richardson???

Or maybe - with our new QB coach - we're going to create a cutting-edge offensive attack with 3 RBs in the game at the same time????

:blink:

you think the Pats will buy it, and trade away a bunch of picks to jump over us ????

Check out this rebound. Nix drafted Spiller with Lynch and Jackson... What's the difference?

What if Richardson is Adrian Peterson or better, you don't take him?

No.

Buffalo has FINALLY legitimized itself as a destination for premier free agents. They're finally resigning their own top free agents. When next off season rolls around, the Bills will -- for the first time in a very long time -- be considered a classy team that takes care of those who perform. There is something to be said for trust -- and how the Bills appear in the eyes of players who one day COULD consider us. Because of these free agent signings, we're going to be a LOT better than we've been in the past 12+ years. The front office has worked so hard to change league perception.

This can all be negated by us giving Freddy the shaft. Buddy gave his word -- Now he must make good on it and take care of FJ.

I would be screaming at the top of my lungs if Richardson miraculously fell to us. I'm betting someone would pay a king's ransom for him.

Trade the damn pick.

BA