Why is Trent Richardson in Buffalo?

If that were to happen Nix will have spent 2 top 10 picks on RBs in just 3 drafts.

Can someone say NFL Executive of the Year?!

The Bills are trying to make your head asplode (or Bill in NYC's).

Nothing to see here. File it under due diligence. In reality this is a good idea because if they think he is a guy that other teams will value, they know what they can demand in trade if he's there at #10. That may sound far-fetched but at this point there's as much evidence for that as there is for the idea that we'll draft him.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams are allowed to bring in 30 players. Wouldn't you try to bringing in the 30 best? I doubt you would bring in someone you are looking at in the 4-5th round.

Edited by nucci

There are some things you don't joke about, because they're too serious and hit too close to home. And because they hurt too much. The possibility of the Bills' front office squandering yet another first round pick on a RB is one of those things.

The Bills are important to me, but I refuse to hold them to such a level that I won't joke about them. I joke about my religion, so the Bills are fair game.

I get the 'due diligence' argument. But not really. Are we doing due diligence on Luck and RGIII? So why do due diligence on Richardson when we know we won't draft him? Even if he fell to #10, we wouldn't take him. Would we? Any chance he falls to the second round???

We don't fly everyone to One Bills Drive. Why Richardson?

Smoke screen? Maybe. But would we waste Richardson's time as part of some odd deception plan?

Are we considering trading one of our other backs if we have the chance to get Richardson at #10?

I understand why we're doing due diligence on these other guys. But Richardson confounds me.

Why did the Bills bring in Cam Newton for a pre-draft visit last year? Nick Fairley??? Blaine Gabbert?????

Just consider this - each year the Bills (and every other NFL team) bring in 30 draft-eligible prospects for team visits and private workouts prior to the draft, plus as many local prospects from their own metro-area as they are interested in (which do not count against the NFL-imposed limit of 30). Of those 30-plus players the Bills meet with and evaluate privately each season, they draft 2 or 3 of them - the other 27-plus players that visit OBD every season are not drafted by Buffalo.

There are probably multiple reasons why the Bills - and every other NFL team - engage in these practices, be they 'due diligence', smokescreen/deception, or other. I don't really know the 'ins & outs' of why teams do this, nor do most TSW posters.

The one thing I do know (and have insisted since early February) - with the #10 pick the Bills will be selecting immediate 2012 starter - and guaranteed All Pro for the next ten seasons and beyond - Stanford RG David DeCastro....

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

The only players I wouldn't interview/spend time on are the ones I don't ever want on this team. Short of that, I'd interview everybody.

What is a GM's #1 job? Make decisions about players. Most of the time, most managers don't get enough info, and have to make decisions based on what they do have. You are asking why a manager, in any business, absent pressure to make a decision, would take an opportunity to get quality first hand info with little effort/cost? Actually this is a no brainer, isn't it?

Consider: What happens in 4 years if Richardson is a FA, I'm the GM and I need a RB? Is he worth the money? How is he as a person? What about his football IQ? It would help if I had a chance to meet with him personally when he was just a college kid, ask him about things that are important to me, etc., and then compile that info with everything else I have gathered over the last 4 years.

Right?

Exactly.

That is the reason this time. If a player enters the draft your GM must know who he is, you never know, he could be available down the road. I'm sure anything they can learn now from a rookie, will make the job easier for the pro-personnel guy and that is due dilligence.

Exactly.

That is the reason this time. If a player enters the draft your GM must know who he is, you never know, he could be available down the road. I'm sure anything they can learn now from a rookie, will make the job easier for the pro-personnel guy and that is due dilligence.

Or if we end up playing against him this year.

Or to get a read on those LBs he has battled in practice for years

It's all about gathering information for the future- whether it be the draft, gameplanning, free agency, himself or other players. Could learn something about a teammate scheduled to come out next year even

Heck being able to see his reaction when you talk about his other visits and guage interest from other teams is worth the afternoon and plane ticket

Why did the Bills bring in Cam Newton for a pre-draft visit last year? Nick Fairley??? Blaine Gabbert?????

Just consider this - each year the Bills (and every other NFL team) bring in 30 draft-eligible prospects for team visits and private workouts prior to the draft, plus as many local prospects from their own metro-area as they are interested in (which do not count against the NFL-imposed limit of 30). Of those 30-plus players the Bills meet with and evaluate privately each season, they draft 2 or 3 of them - the other 27-plus players that visit OBD every season are not drafted by Buffalo.

There are probably multiple reasons why the Bills - and every other NFL team - engage in these practices, be they 'due diligence', smokescreen/deception, or other. I don't really know the 'ins & outs' of why teams do this, nor do most TSW posters.

The one thing I do know (and have insisted since early February) - with the #10 pick the Bills will be selecting immediate 2012 starter - and guaranteed All Pro for the next ten seasons and beyond - Stanford RG David DeCastro....

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

I'd have zero problem with drafting one of the best players in this draft....regardless of perceived value or need. DeCastro seems to fit that bill.

Like it or not people, so does TR. Again, not advocating it, nor do I think we'll select him.....just sayin'

Many reasons...

1. Even with Spiller and Fred on board, the Bills would hate to pass on a true blue chip stud RB if he fell to them. They owe it to themselves to see if this guy is merely a decent back (a la M Lynch) or the next Jim Brown. That is the due diligence part of the equation.

2. When the Bills talk to him, they can press him to gauge what interest other teams have shown in him. That helps them analyze their draft board and interpret where players may go in the draft. Also, perhaps they can get more intel about these other teams (in terms of strategy) gleaned from information that they may have shared with Richardson in interviews. Moreover, by doing a detailed analysis of the player, they have the opportunity to scout up close a player who could wind up playing for a division foe.

3. Smokescreens indeed. If the Bills convince the other 31 teams that they are interested in Richardson, that means that another team that really wants him will need to draft him within the first 9 picks, increasing the possibility that another player that the Bills may truly be interested in may slide.

4. On a related note, it opens trade possibilities for teams interested in Richardson. That means that such a team will either need to trade up with the Bills or one of the top 9 teams. In the former case, moving down a bit and adding extra picks is always a good thing. In the latter case see 3 above.

Why say more? This is a large part of the answer to the question.

Teams are allowed to bring in 30 players. Wouldn't you try to bringing in the 30 best? I doubt you would bring in someone you are looking at in the 4-5th round.

In addition to presumed first rounders, the Bills under this regime have, and continue to bring in guys for visits who are not projected first rounders.

Judging by this thread it would appear that the concept of due diligence is not clearly understood. When properly applied you gain experience and knowledge at a more rapid pace and contingencies reveal themselves rather than the need to sweat details and assume unnecessary risks based upon assumption. Smart GMs assess players that know they will not pick or be able to pick to make projections for them hypothetically and then track their progress in the league. It is part of self assessing your abilities to make accurate projections on players. I guarantee that Cam Newton is being observed indirectly to self evaluate if they would have been correct in drafting him if he was available. If this concept is lost on some of you then you should really study it. It can vastly improve your own job performance or investments depending on the variables in play. Leave no stone unturned as they say.

I guess it was the jets first pick then... I guess they didn't have a 1st round that year...

If memory serves that was the year they traded their first round pick for the legend known as Doug Jolley, and then they used their second round picks on special teams.......Mike Nugent and Justin Miller, a corner who was never more than a kick returner

We....better...not....draft...another...freakin' RB...in....the...first....round....

Seriously, I don't think that he'll make it to the 10th pick, and I could see a team like Tampa in desperate need for a guy like Richardson.

I think that this is nothing more than exploring "what if" scenarios and to create confusion and a smokescreen about their true intentions.

I'm thinking either LT or WR in the first round...and with Bell now gone to the Eagles...LT for sure. Then if the DE from Syracuse is left in the 2nd take him.

The reality is, if this guy is rated in the top 10 players on your board, you really do have to kick the tires on him. There were a lot of people that said "The Vikings don't need a RB, they have Chester Taylor". 5 years later, where is Chester Taylor?

I dont think they will draft him, but the draft is funny. If the rest of your top 10 is gone, and he is the highest rated prospect left on your board, and you cant find a trade down partner...well.....

With all of that being said, he won't be there at 10.

Edited by Deep2Moulds46

The Bills are important to me, but I refuse to hold them to such a level that I won't joke about them. I joke about my religion, so the Bills are fair game.

My comment was a little tongue in cheek. Though I admit there was some truth to it as well. All this talk about, or even jokes about, drafting Richardson scares me. If you know a person who's been in several gasoline-related explosions already, you do not want to see that person joking around about his plans for the evening--plans which involve lit cigarettes, candles, oil lanterns, using gasoline to start campfires, etc.! :angry:

Nor is this talk about drafting an OG or a non-pass-rushing LB at 10th overall any better. :angry: It's almost as though people are determined to waste the 10th overall pick on a non-impact position! "If I can't blow myself up with gasoline, there are plenty of other explosives out there!" :angry:

Edited by Edwards' Arm

My comment was a little tongue in cheek. Though I admit there was some truth to it as well. All this talk about, or even jokes about, drafting Richardson scares me. If you know a person who's been in several gasoline-related explosions already, you do not want to see that person joking around about his plans for the evening--plans which involve lit cigarettes, candles, oil lanterns, using gasoline to start campfires, etc.! :angry:

Nor is this talk about drafting an OG or a non-pass-rushing LB at 10th overall any better. :angry: It's almost as though people are determined to waste the 10th overall pick on a non-impact position! "If I can't blow myself up with gasoline, there are plenty of other explosives out there!" :angry:

I think those who want to draft DeCastro or Kuechly do not pay attention to Buddy's remarks or his past draft history.