PFT 2012 mock draft, take one

papazoid

i kinda like/agree with the first 10 picks:

1. Colts: Robert Griffin III, quarterback, Baylor.

In an upset, the Colts opt for the most gifted quarterback prospect in the draft.

2. Redskins: Andrew Luck, quarterback, Stanford.

Mike Shanahan settles for a still-elite prospect at the game’s premier position.

3. Vikings: Matt Kalil, tackle, USC.

Left tackle is Minnesota’s greatest need, and Kalil is a top-three talent in the draft.

4. Browns: Morris Claiborne, cornerback, LSU.

The Browns could reach for offense, but Claiborne is the best overall prospect left.

5. Bucs: Trent Richardson, running back, Alabama.

LeGarrette Blount alone isn’t going to cut it for Greg Schiano’s run-minded approach.

6. Rams: Justin Blackmon, wide receiver, Oklahoma State.

The new regime wants its top wideout’s bread and butter to be run-after-catch skills.

7. Jaguars: Melvin Ingram, defensive end, South Carolina.

Able to play anywhere on the line, Ingram is the draft’s most versatile pass rusher.

8. Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill, quarterback Texas A&M.

After whiffing on free agent passers, the Fins reunite Tannehill with Mike Sherman.

9. Panthers: Quinton Coples, defensive end, North Carolina.

Coples would team with Charles Johnson to give Carolina a dominant end tandem.

10. Bills: Riley Reiff, tackle, Iowa.

The Bills were free agency “winners,” but they still need help on the offensive line.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/2012-mock-draft-take-one/

Indy-Luck

Washington-RG3

Miami-Tannehill

(Miami gives up two firsts and a 2nd)

Cleveland-Richardson

Tampa-claibourne

Rams- blackmon

Carolina-Kahil

(Give up a 2013 2nd)

Minn-Brockers

Jags-coples

Buffalo-kirkpatrick?

i don't like it... i'm confident Indy will take the more Manning-like sure thing in Luck. and i'd be surprised if Cleveland doesn't go offense... they really need to do something there.

Reiff wasn't overly impressive at combine, so he could be there at 10... especially with Miami probably going QB or maybe WR.

Reiff had a poor pro day and is projected at RT or Guard.

Reiff, by pretty much everyone, is not considered a LT prospect.

It would make zero sense to draft Reiff at #10.

It will be Martin or Floyd if it breaks that way.

I would prefer Floyd.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Reiff is a guard who is going to drop in this draft

I also think Upshaw goes a little later then people are projecting

dont get me wrong, i like both players but i dont see either going top ten at this point

Sweet - blow a top 10 pick on a short armed furture right tackle from Iowa. That makes a ton of sense. They are better off re-signing Bell and taking Floyd.

Best LT in the NFL (Joe Thomas) has shorter arms than him...If he's the BPA then we take him

I want to hear how Martin did/does at his pro day today as well

Sweet - blow a top 10 pick on a short armed furture right tackle from Iowa. That makes a ton of sense. They are better off re-signing Bell and taking Floyd.

+1.

Does anyone think Kirpatrick is in the mix @ 10? I like Martin better as an LOT. Floyd is growing on me as well.

I changed my mind. I originally thought LT all the way until I read more about the LTs. The only one that seems worth a top 10 pick is Kalil, who simply won't be there for us. So I'm with Joe Buscaglia, I think the Bills go Floyd if he's there. To me, it boils down to whether the Bills want to go into next season with the same set of WRs as last year, or the same OL as last year. And when you look at it that way, its clear that the offensive line is way more talented than the WR corp. I could see Hairston and a 2nd round LT competing for the starting spot. And you never know. If Bell's value drops to a more reasonable level, he might come back. Having both the D line and O line secure before the draft is a huge asset.

i don't like it... i'm confident Indy will take the more Manning-like sure thing in Luck. and i'd be surprised if Cleveland doesn't go offense... they really need to do something there.

Reiff wasn't overly impressive at combine, so he could be there at 10... especially with Miami probably going QB or maybe WR.

Really, I'm watching the combine on my DVR and Reiff showed great footwork on the drills. Got the combine... everyday still recorded. What drill looked bad cuz the drill I'm looking at it and he looks real smooth ?

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

I honestly would not have a problem with Floyd or Martin...they both fill a need....

What I would REALLY like to do is trade down.....maybe even twice....and get Mike Adams later in the 1st before the steelers can pick him up and pick up multiple picks....which I would use on

- More linebackers

- More corners

- A seam busting pass catching TE

- Another LT somewhere in there to develop

What we really needed was pass rush.....we have it....we actually are in pretty good shape.

+1.

Does anyone think Kirpatrick is in the mix @ 10? I like Martin better as an LOT. Floyd is growing on me as well.

I think he is. Stephon Gilmore was someone I was originally thinking about in the second round, but he is flying draft boards now. Some even have him above Kirkpatrick...

For what it's worth, Kirkpatrick has a pre-draft visit scheduled with us.

Edit: I found this on a Bengals fan board

ESPN's draft expert, Mel Kiper, Jr., is hearing that South Carolina's Gilmore is gaining momentum with teams in the NFL and could be picked ahead of Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick.

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

I sure hope it's not Rieff. Floyd, kuechly or Kirkpatrick at 10 if the 1st 9 go as listed.

1332443747[/url]' post='2419052']

Reiff is a guard who is going to drop in this draft

I also think Upshaw goes a little later then people are projecting

dont get me wrong, i like both players but i dont see either going top ten at this point

I think most people are projecting upshaw to go in the teens, right where he'll be drafted. If the jets get him, it'll suck. He's the best 3-4 OLB in the draft IMO. I can't see him living up to his potential at 4-3 DE and I don't thinks he's capable of playing 4-3 OLB. Maybe MLB, but again, I don't think he can produce as well at MLB than he would 3-4 olb

Edited by NewEra

I just think the best part about this is that we have no reason to stress out about who gets picked from 1 through 9. Our pass rush has been addressed, and from this point on there are enough good options that we can just take whoever is there.

Personally, I'd like to see Floyd or Martin, but I'd even be okay with a LB or CB.

+1000

Here's the thing: Reiff is tough as nails. He projects as a LT after a year of seasoning at RT. Martin would walk right in as a LT. He is more athletic, but is not as proven in the college game as Reiff was. Reiff should be a long term answer at LT, but we would have to deal with him playing spot duty their this year while Hairston is the starter. Definitely tough to stomach with a top 10 pick, but might be the better answer for the future.

All that being said, I'd take Kirkpatrick or Floyd. I watched both of them this year as much as possible and each has slight weaknesses, but each would be upgrades at positions of great need. Love Florence as a team guy, but even he has acknowledged the need for an upgrade at CB.

Reiff is a Bulaga clone, so if they ducked Bulaga at 9, I think they do the same for Reiff at 10.

Great point! :thumbsup:

All that being said, I'd take Kirkpatrick or Floyd. I watched both of them this year as much as possible and each has slight weaknesses, but each would be upgrades at positions of great need. Love Florence as a team guy, but even he has acknowledged the need for an upgrade at CB.

Beginning to agree here. Make WR-CB pick at #10, and OLB-CB at #42. Kirkpatrick/Floyd then Lavonte David/Stephon Gilmore.

Beginning to agree here. Make WR-CB pick at #10, and OLB-CB at #42. Kirkpatrick/Floyd then Lavonte David/Stephon Gilmore.

This really seems the way to go WR/CB @ #10 and then CB/WR @ #42. I still don't see LB as big as a need right now. This with what you said in the Left Tackle thread and grabbing one in rounds 3-5 could give us a pretty solid draft.

How do you guys see things going with Gilmore? I have seen a few mocks where is moving into round one. I also saw on a Bengals fan board that Kiper is rating him ahead of Kirkpatrick now.

Exactly!

You really think Buddy is gonna take a WR from Notre Dame? i mean really? not being a smarta*s.

Difference was Spiller played at Clemson. Buddy knows the south and Chan coached against Spiller. He got to see first hand the kids ability.

I just don't get the Floyd love...did anyone here like him before the combine??

I think Chan likes showing he can turn a good wr into great...ala his system. So get your WR in the second or third.

Also, since the Bills have not signed a single OT this offseason, and a few WR's, i dont think they draft one here.

Chan's needs someone upfront to help his system work more....the vertical game. You can not develope a deep threat if you only have a few seconds. Defenses figured out his quick game last year. This paired with FJ injury killed his system.

Rather take the best LB at 10 available or even CB(i can not believe i am saying this), if no tackle is worth that pick.

You really think Buddy is gonna take a WR from Notre Dame? i mean really? not being a smarta*s.

Difference was Spiller played at Clemson. Buddy knows the south and Chan coached against Spiller. He got to see first hand the kids ability.

I think Chan likes showing he can turn a good wr into great...ala his system. So get your WR in the second or third.

Also, since the Bills have not signed a single OT this offseason, and a few WR's, i dont think they draft one here.

Chan's needs someone upfront to help his system work more....the vertical game. You can not develope a deep threat if you only have a few seconds. Defenses figured out his quick game last year. This paired with FJ injury killed his system.

Rather take the best LB at 10 available or even CB(i can not believe i am saying this), if no tackle is worth that pick.

Because of the sheer number of nationally broadcasted ND games, I got to see Floyd play 6 games that I recall. He was a standout with great athleticism, hands and speed. I definitely liked him before the combine.

Are either Upshaw or Kuechly worth a #10? If the FO can trap a team with the need for Tannehill, then dropping down, picking up an extra second, and grabbing Kuechly in the late teens in the 1st might be a great answer. It's tough because you have to address your own needs, but also considering other teams needs and their willingness to move into position to draft them. Realistically, there are no consensus picks between 8 and 22.

In another thread someone said Martin blew today at his proday...

Then I'd go back to the tapes and review his body of work to confirm his worth, if I were an NFL GM and interested. I don't put too much stock in pro days, anyway.

In another thread someone said Martin blew today at his proday...

I put zero stock in a OT's 40 time and Martin was known to not have straight line speed. He's also known to have the quickest reaction off the snap from what I have read. The only report I have been able to find about his pro day, from the blech Bleacher Report, said Martin and Decastro "also impressed".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1116027-stanford-pro-day-recapping-performances-of-andrew-luck-jonathan-martin-more

I have no idea what Nix and the Bills scouts think of him versus Reiff, Adams, and Cordy Glenn, if he is even a LT prospect. I would imagine there are huge differences between the ratings of all four of those guys between the 32 teams in the league.

Watch the film of Martin getting completely abused by Nick Perry of USC. I'm telling ya, Martin is NOT a top 10 pick.

That's a fair enough assessment, JH. My point to the other poster was simply that I personally don't put too much stock in pro days. I wouldn't discount overall body of work for any player in favor of one pro day.

Ive said it in a couple threads but I think its important for everyone to understand. Dre Kirkpatrick CANNOT be our pick at 10. I watched every single snap of him from this year. He is great in zone don't get me wrong but he is an NFL safety and I don't have a doubt in my mind. He consistently gets beat in man and just straight up abused in one on one and the read zone. He is stout against the run and short passes in zone but that isn't what we want at 10. We want someone who's going to go after the other teams 1.

That being said: If Clairborne somehow slips he's the pick if not.

Floyd, Kuechly in that order, noone else warrants the top 10 selection based on needs or talent.

I put zero stock in a OT's 40 time and Martin was known to not have straight line speed. He's also known to have the quickest reaction off the snap from what I have read. The only report I have been able to find about his pro day, from the blech Bleacher Report, said Martin and Decastro "also impressed".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1116027-stanford-pro-day-recapping-performances-of-andrew-luck-jonathan-martin-more

I have no idea what Nix and the Bills scouts think of him versus Reiff, Adams, and Cordy Glenn, if he is even a LT prospect. I would imagine there are huge differences between the ratings of all four of those guys between the 32 teams in the league.

I could care less about 40 times as well. I have been looking for official number and haven't found anything conclusive yet. The comment made was he seemed out of shape. I can't find it now to save my life - it figures...

Astro in the 'Left tackles thread after round 1'Here is the link put out a lot of good info on the tackles. He posted a link to Drafttek that had all the OTs listed by projection, you can watch video of them all. He also had another link in a a different thread 'Buddy's Plan for Left Tackle'that had their scouting report on all the OTs and claims it is always spot on. It makes me really worry about the LT possibilities out there & that a 3rd-5th rounder looks like our best option.

Also in this thread Astro gave a nice write up of Floyd Floyd 'Your Offical Draft Board' thread it is near the bottom.

Ive said it in a couple threads but I think its important for everyone to understand. Dre Kirkpatrick CANNOT be our pick at 10. I watched every single snap of him from this year. He is great in zone don't get me wrong but he is an NFL safety and I don't have a doubt in my mind. He consistently gets beat in man and just straight up abused in one on one and the read zone. He is stout against the run and short passes in zone but that isn't what we want at 10. We want someone who's going to go after the other teams 1.

That being said: If Clairborne somehow slips he's the pick if not.

Floyd, Kuechly in that order, noone else warrants the top 10 selection based on needs or talent.

I saw in a Bengals fan forum that Kiper has Stephon Gilmore rated higher than him now. I originally liked Gilmore in the second but he is rising into the forst now. I have seen him as high as 15!

On a side note, Wanny doesn't expect our CBs to be playing a lot of man or one-on-one anymore. I do agree that at #10 he should be going after the offenses #1. We are bringing this kid in for a visit. AS talent goes, I liked Janori Jenkis better, but he is a disaster as a person. No way we take him.

I've seen every game he's played (ND fan, but before you call me a homer, I haven't actually wanted the Bills to draft any other Irish players in recent memory. They've been pretty bad.)

Anyways Floyd does nothing but dominate. He's huge and physical, runs every route and has great vert and hands, decent speed, and is a beastly blocker. When we started the season 3-0 and 4-1 I was despairing that he would be long gone before we picked. After our lack of pass rush cost us the season, I despaired that we would have to pass on him to reach for a DE. Now I'm mostly just scared that Jacksonville will pick him (their WRs suck even more than ours for petes sake) or that Buddy might pass on him and reach for an OT.

I did.

I'm pretty sure I advocated to use a 3rd or 2nd on Floyd if he were to enter a suplemental draft on him. (If they thought his drinking would be in check)

I really don't understand the concern. (Also don't understand the ND loathing)

I'm not a ND fan myself but I don't hate all players from ND.

Floyd is a freak. Runs slant routes like a pro and has wheels to stretch a defense.

What team runs a lot of quick slant routes and needs a depth threat?

Watch the film of Martin getting completely abused by Nick Perry of USC. I'm telling ya, Martin is NOT a top 10 pick.

Martin has a badly sprained ankle that day, in case the facts are of any interest. He came out twice but came back in middle of third when the other OT was getting beaten.

Agreed 100 % . I think he's as overrated as Notre Dame is every preseason. I'll pass :thumbdown: