Chandler re-signed

Erik

I love the sudden appropriation of the term "mafia." Even Scott Chandler's wife is hashtagging it!

"Best birthday gift ever! @scottchandler84 signing his contract with Buffalo! So proud of my hubby! #BillsMafia http://pic.twitter.com/iGFdqKp3"

Can someone remind me when this started?

When i was in Buffalo in late August my Uncle and cousin were telling me the story.

I am vague on it, but it started over a twitter battle with a National Media guy and my cousin.

Everytime the media guy would take a shot at the Bills my cousinand his friends would come back at him, or point out a positive.

Finally the National Media guy asked them if they were the Buffalo Mafia.

My cousin and his friends ran with it. Website, T Shirts...etc.

Barnett and Stevie picked up on it, thru twitter.

It was kinda cool. There was even a story written in one of the local, Buffalo Newspapers.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: BEST MOVE OF 2012!!! -So far. I look for Chandler to have a breakout year. GO BILLS!

Won't be surprised if Freddy isn't looked at until sometime during the season, or next off-season. We have him right now, I imagine there are other priorities going on.

That seems kinda messed-up, dontcha think? -Let's give him the security right now, so he goes into the season with a full head of steam.

Its not awkward or forced. Plenty of current players use it, and hashtag it all the time, and communicate with #Billsmafia members, including Barnett, Freddie, Stevie, Chandler, Aaron Williams, Shawne Merriman and others.

Yea I know, I am on twitter, I guess I just don't see the correlation between Mafia and fanbase, seems forced to me. I had better shut up about it though before the BillsMafia whacks me.

:thumbsup: BEST MOVE OF 2012!!! -So far. I look for Chandler to have a breakout year. GO BILLS!

That seems kinda messed-up, dontcha think? -Let's give him the security right now, so he goes into the season with a full head of steam.

Bills do have all the leverage with Freddie. The 'right' or 'nice' thing to do would be to sign him to an extension.

But if Freddie has unrealistic expectations, then that may be difficult to do.

He is over 30, if he sits out a year in protest, he is only that much older.

Honestly, i can see it both ways.

But on the heels of Peyton Manning getting realesed by the Colts, football is not a business where being nice usually comes into play?

Huge signing.

Because of it, I don't think you'll see TE in the draft before RD5, 2nd pick. I'd take Miami's Chase Ford there. Ford catches the ball well in traffic, Bunting loved him during Senior Bowl week (said "highlight catches during the East's second session: over and behind, on the sidelines, both feet in bounds-- a top-10 reel today"), he's 6'6" 245, can dive and make catches, and reminds us a little of Dallas Clark. Here is a video of Chase Ford before he transferred to Miami. He's #10:

Edited by Astrobot

signing these guys is all well and good, but obviously and logically, you don't improve much on a sub-par team by simply paying the existing players of that team 7 or 8 times what they were making before. in fact, on its own you will end up worse, since you can't even retain all your players at that rate. these signings are only good, if they can now replace the "cheap talent" of guys like Chandler and SJ13 with equally good talent on the cheap.

again, this is somewhat obvious... but some seem a little too excited; as it stands now we are still the same 6-10 team as '11, but minus our LT and with LESS cap room. the hard part lies ahead, in finding good and CHEAP talent cuz you can't assemble enough talent to win by paying guys what they're worth - you need to have some underpaid guys too!

good point but actually, every year we lose some high priced guy that was under producing, now that money is transfrered to true contributers w out letting them get away to F.A. So this is a huge plus. We wont be paying dante, roscoe, and others. Sj and chandler got fair contracts and with a little money we have after a big free agent signing, we can pay the draft picks. If we hit on those, we're golden. How goog would we be if we had lost SJ and CHandler and had to gamble on two more rookies than we do now?

Edited by loserlovers

Yea I know, I am on twitter, I guess I just don't see the correlation between Mafia and fanbase, seems forced to me. I had better shut up about it though before the BillsMafia whacks me.

What exactly is "forced" about it? Its a banner for bills fans to unite under, and its great that there are players are involved as well. Its a way for fans to be seen as one and to support our favorite team.

Good news! I was confused why that WGR article gave 23:1 odds of Chandler re-signing :oops:

http://wgr550.com/tw...sdrive/12444064

You'd be better off not paying any attention to anything WGR purveys… unless you want to stunt your growth as a sports fan.

I think this signing is nearly as important as re-signing Stevie. Chandler is the best TE we've had on this team in years.

Totally agreed and totally stoked about re-signing Chandler. As Bob Chalmers said yesterday, I'd rather have Scott Chandler than Martellus Bennett… oddly enough it wouldn't surprise me if that was a minority opinion around here.

I hope Demetrius Bell,... we can't lose a good starting LT and then look to use our 1st round pick on his replacement. That's the strategy that has us drafting 3 RBs in the first round this past decade. Sign D Bell...

I'm hoping Bell is next. Even if they draft an OT, I'd rather they were stacking players than filling holes… that's why the Stevie and Chandler signings are such a great sign. The Bills are keeping productive players and based on Stevie's contract, at good value.

"In reaching agreements with Johnson and Chandler this week, the Bills have not only retained two of their top three touchdown makers from a year ago, but also their first- and fourth-leading receivers, as well."

BTW, maybe I've been irritable lately but is it me or are all these fiscal ultra-conservatives really annoying?

Just because the team was 6-10 last year, these players aren't worth keeping? Really?

The team was $40 million under the cap but if we re-sign Fred Jackson we're gonna regret it?

I really wish sometimes that I could ignore some of the staggeringly stupid things that I read around here.

Sorry.

The Chandler signing makes me very happy.

Really.

You'd be better off not paying any attention to anything WGR purveys… unless you want to stunt your growth as a sports fan.

Totally agreed and totally stoked about re-signing Chandler. As Bob Chalmers said yesterday, I'd rather have Scott Chandler than Martellus Bennett… oddly enough it wouldn't surprise me if that was a minority opinion around here.

I'm hoping Bell is next. Even if they draft an OT, I'd rather they were stacking players than filling holes… that's why the Stevie and Chandler signings are such a great sign. The Bills are keeping productive players and based on Stevie's contract, at good value.

"In reaching agreements with Johnson and Chandler this week, the Bills have not only retained two of their top three touchdown makers from a year ago, but also their first- and fourth-leading receivers, as well."

BTW, maybe I've been irritable lately but is it me or are all these fiscal ultra-conservatives really annoying?

Just because the team was 6-10 last year, these players aren't worth keeping? Really?

The team was $40 million under the cap but if we re-sign Fred Jackson we're gonna regret it?

I really wish sometimes that I could ignore some of the staggeringly stupid things that I read around here.

Sorry.

The Chandler signing makes me very happy.

Really.

You're not alone. It is really really really strange.

I don't understand the fascination some people have with "overpaying."

The team is way under the cap. The last thing the Bills have to worry about is the Salary Cap.

Its misguided, misinformed, and did I mention strange?

I just completely ignore all that nonsense.

You're not alone. It is really really really strange.

I don't understand the fascination some people have with "overpaying."

The team is way under the cap. The last thing the Bills have to worry about is the Salary Cap.

Its misguided, misinformed, and did I mention strange?

I just completely ignore all that nonsense.

Are you sure about this? From what I've read (not sure how reliable that is) after we sign our draft picks and FAs we'll only have room for one name FA. I haven't been able to find anything definitive on the matter.