Chandler re-signed

Erik

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure about this? From what I've read (not sure how reliable that is) after we sign our draft picks and FAs we'll only have room for one name FA. I haven't been able to find anything definitive on the matter.

The Bills have $35M in cap room.

Heh, I just got done showing how fast that $35M dries up with this post.

That assumes the Bills are still using "cash to cap." They only started using it after the 2006 CBA. The new CBA is far better and the cap is supposed to increase a lot in 2 years.

Are you sure about this? From what I've read (not sure how reliable that is) after we sign our draft picks and FAs we'll only have room for one name FA. I haven't been able to find anything definitive on the matter.

I'm sure. Its definitive.

That assumes the Bills are still using "cash to cap."

Well, they've used it every year since then so we have to assume they will still use it unless we hear otherwise. Every reference from the FO seems to indicate they prefer the cash to cap system. Has anyone heard otherwise? People who don't understand the system incorrectly assume that we are flush with tens of millions to spend.

Likely in he 2-3 million per year range for 2-3 years. If I had to take a stab at it I would say 3 years 7.8 million total. While he isn't a top 10 tight end at all he is a starting caliber NFL TE who even if the Bills are to bring in a TE down the road can still be productive as a number two guy.

Well, they've used it every year since then so we have to assume they will still use it unless we hear otherwise. Every reference from the FO seems to indicate they prefer the cash to cap system. Has anyone heard otherwise? People who don't understand the system incorrectly assume that we are flush with tens of millions to spend.

Is the $35M in cap space that is being publicized using cash to cap? That is the assumption that is problematic.

If you're applying cash to cap numbers for the new contracts to a cap number determined not using cash to cap the whole assumption is flawed.

Edited by Carey Bender

Is the $35M in cap space that is being publicized using cash to cap? That is the assumption that is problematic.

If you're applying cash to cap numbers for the new contracts to a cap number determined not using cash to cap the whole assumption is flawed.

That's the amount of cap space, regardless of how the Bills want to account for it. Whether it be cash to cap or they choose to amortize bonuses over the length of the deal, they have 35 to spend. Obviously, the $35m would go farther this year if they amortize but I don't think they will.

GO BILLS!!!

That's the amount of cap space, regardless of how the Bills want to account for it. Whether it be cash to cap or they choose to amortize bonuses over the length of the deal, they have 35 to spend. Obviously, the $35m would go farther this year if they amortize but I don't think they will.

GO BILLS!!!

I dont believe that is accurate.

It's their number using one method or the other, you don't get the same answer using both.

That's likely the amount of cap space with bonuses amortized for the team, cap space prior to the Stevie and Chandler's contracts would be much more than $35m with it calculated using cash to cap as the bonuses for the rest of the team would already have been applied.

Edited by Carey Bender

That's likely the amount of cap space with bonuses amortized for the team, cap space prior to the Stevie and Chandler's contracts would be much more than $35m with it calculated using cash to cap as the bonuses for the rest of the team would already have been applied.

I don't think that published reports for all the teams' cap space take into consideration what kind of accounting method they use. The number is the number, regardless.

The $35m is the amount of cap space they had when they rolled over their the $21m from last season, again regardless of accounting method. If they use cap to cash, it makes sense to subtract whatever "actual" cash they will pay to SJ and Chandler in 2012 from that amount. Also, on 3/13, I believe Fitz is due for his bonus so that will be added to actual dollars spent as well. From a cash to cap prospective, they have far less than the $35m in cap space to spend.

At least that's as far as I understand it. I would welcome any additional information as well.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think that published reports for all the teams' cap space take into consideration what kind of accounting method they use. The number is the number, regardless.

The $35m is the amount of cap space they had when they rolled over their the $21m from last season, again regardless of accounting method. If they use cap to cash, it makes sense to subtract whatever "actual" cash they will pay to SJ and Chandler in 2012 from that amount. Also, on 3/13, I believe Fitz is due for his bonus so that will be added to actual dollars spent as well. From a cash to cap prospective, they have far less than the $35m in cap space to spend.

At least that's as far as I understand it. I would welcome any additional information as well.

GO BILLS!!!

No, you have it correct. $35M is what they have available, period, and it depends on how they use it, i.e. traditional or "cash to cap," with the traditional way allowing them to sign more players.

Totally agreed and totally stoked about re-signing Chandler. As Bob Chalmers said yesterday, I'd rather have Scott Chandler than Martellus Bennett… oddly enough it wouldn't surprise me if that was a minority opinion around here.

BTW, maybe I've been irritable lately but is it me or are all these fiscal ultra-conservatives really annoying?

Just because the team was 6-10 last year, these players aren't worth keeping? Really?

The team was $40 million under the cap but if we re-sign Fred Jackson we're gonna regret it?

I really wish sometimes that I could ignore some of the staggeringly stupid things that I read around here.

Sorry.

The Chandler signing makes me very happy.

Really.

Agreed. I'm thrilled Chandler's back. Color me unimpressed with Bennett who in all likelihood would've been a much pricier option without a major upgrade at the position. Dallas really likes John Phillips who's been breathing down Bennett's neck and making a real push to be the #2 TE behind Jason Witten. Good move by the FO...welcome back, Scott.

Again, spot on. These "they better not spend too much on player X" whiners are the inbred cousins of the "Ralph's cheap" crowd.

You're not alone. It is really really really strange. I don't understand the fascination some people have with "overpaying."

Bingo. The Bills got their guys in Stevie & Chandler at a price they deemed fair to both the team and the players. They're inked...that's what matters. The "Jr. capologist wannabes" need to let it go.

Scott Chandler ‏ @scottchandler84

Reunited and it feels so good!!! Blessed to be back with the Bills! Nowhere else I want to be! Thankyou Lord for this opportunity!

Scott Chandler ‏ @scottchandler84

Thankyou to the Bills front office and fans for all your support!! Let's get this thing rolling! #BillsMafia

all good! :P

No, you have it correct. $35M is what they have available, period, and it depends on how they use it, i.e. traditional or "cash to cap," with the traditional way allowing them to sign more players.

Part of me is wondering if they are making decisions with an eye towards the increase in TV revenues coming in 2014 (at least I think it's 2014). Perhaps they see an opportunity now. Anyway, starting next season EVERYBODY is going to be cash to cap when that 90% floor kicks in.

GO BILLS!!!

It's their number using one method or the other, you don't get the same answer using both.

That's likely the amount of cap space with bonuses amortized for the team

You're right, the $35M figure is the amortized one thrown about. I was using it to show how fast money dries up under the cash to cap system. This guy has our current 2012 cash spending at about $83M (last updated Feb 29 - before Stevie signed). If we use $120M as the approximate limit, figure $37M under.

Of course, I haven't checked his numbers, but he does seem quite thorough.

Huge signing.

Because of it, I don't think you'll see TE in the draft before RD5, 2nd pick. I'd take Miami's Chase Ford there. Ford catches the ball well in traffic, Bunting loved him during Senior Bowl week (said "highlight catches during the East's second session: over and behind, on the sidelines, both feet in bounds-- a top-10 reel today"), he's 6'6" 245, can dive and make catches, and reminds us a little of Dallas Clark. Here is a video of Chase Ford before he transferred to Miami. He's #10:

youtube.com/watch?v=DkqnzyQhctc

Wow A'bot, you are way off here. I've watched every game of his career and he's been nothing more than disappointing. He came in from JUCO and was dubbed the next Shockey. He wound up 3rd on the depth chart behind a mid season converted DE (Derron Dye) and a redshirt freshman. Miami needed a TE big time this year and he was terrible. Horrible blocker too. Comparisons to Dallas Clark are way off. Dick Clark maybe...