Luke Kuechly at 10

they need to take the tackle from standford if he is still there or even matt kahil if he is still there for some reason. i dont think bell is going to come back and harriston did decent last year but the bills need a sure thing at left tackle and that is one position that hurt them last year. levitrie is more of a guard so he cant really move out, only if there are injuries he should move out there other than that him and wood will lock down the middle of the o-line and we got a decent right tackle now all they need to do is sure up that left tackle spot and the o-line will be fine. if it comes down to it they need to take quition coaples from north carolina.

I think the Bills must take BPA with the #10 pick. Kuechly is viewed as the 7th best player in the draft here...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html

Claiborne, DeCastro or Kuechly. These are three "pro bowl" type players where as a guy like Martin isn't viewed in the same manner. If he were, he'd certainly be considered a top five pick.

FWIW, Jonathan Martin is ranked as the 62nd player on this site.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 page thread on Marvin McNutt and Mr. Kuechly gets nothing?...LOL

Didn't want to, but I had to bump. This defense would be downright nasty if Williams comes here and we drafted Kuechly.

In Dareus, the Bills made up for not drafting Ngata, In Kuechly, the Bills would make up for being robbed of Patrick Willis by San Fran one pick ahead of us.

you already giving up on that 5th round talent who we took in the 3rd last year ?? :blush: How dare you ? Would be interesting pick. Much better player than the stiff we took from Penn St. a few years back in the second round (POZ)

4 page thread on Marvin McNutt and Mr. Kuechly gets nothing?...LOL

Didn't want to, but I had to bump. This defense would be downright nasty if Williams comes here and we drafted Kuechly.

In Dareus, the Bills made up for not drafting Ngata, In Kuechly, the Bills would make up for being robbed of Patrick Willis by San Fran one pick ahead of us.

That is kinda funny. McNutt may be about the 20-25 best receiver in the draft and your boy isn't talk about in a positive manner much.

you already giving up on that 5th round talent who we took in the 3rd last year ?? :blush: How dare you ? Would be interesting pick. Much better player than the stiff we took from Penn St. a few years back in the second round (POZ)

LOL, yeah I guess I am. As much as people say they want BPA, this guy actually looks like a BPA who's slotted to go to Philly in most mock drafts. If he does go at #15, I have a feeling the Eagles will look like they got the steal of the draft by mid season.

If we get Mario Williams, I'll be pushing for the Bills to pick Kuechly. The Stach needs his Kenny Norton!

Edited by 1billsfan

I wouldn't hate it. He would be a significant addition for sure. I just think that taking him really wastes last years 3rd round pick. I think Luke will be a much better pro than sheppard, but I think the talent gap between Martin and Hairston (at LT) is much greater than Luke and sheppard. I don't hope this is the case, but if Barnett, sheppard and Morrison were our starting LBs behind Mario, Kyle and marcel, I think they would be adequate. If they had a game changer at LB, it would definitely help, but I really about not resigning bell, and having Hairston and pears as starters without any quality backups. I'm assuming we'd draft a LT later on, we'd just have today the guy could step in and play of needed

Reminds me of Ray Lewis....he stays around the ball and isn't afraid to be vocal

Exactly. I think this board will eventually come around on picking this guy at #10.

This guy is a very good and nasty ILB. We're talking about Lewis, Willis, Urlacher level of good and nasty.

If they pass on him for someone like Martin who's clearly not as talented at his position as Kuechly is at his, then it would be a huge mistake.

Reminds me of Ray Lewis....he stays around the ball and isn't afraid to be vocal

I agree that the Bills' must find a very good player, regardless of position, and avoid "reaching" for a

lesser player at a position of need.

Mario Williams is as good as gone when he leaves Buffalo tonight, so don't factor that into this discussion.

The comparison of a maxed-out 242 pound Kuechly to the monster Ray Lewis is silly, IMHO. I am a

long-time draft fanatic, but not a scout - but I see Kuechly as more Poz/Shane Conlan than once-a

generation Ray Lewis.

Besides, how much of an upgrade would Kuechly be over Kelvin Sheppard. He would have to be

considered a MAJOR upgrade over Sheppard for me to consider him at 10 in this draft, especially

considering that he wouldn't help the pass rush.

I agree that the Bills' must find a very good player, regardless of position, and avoid "reaching" for a

Mario Williams is as good as gone when he leaves Buffalo tonight, so don't factor that into this discussion.

The comparison of a maxed-out 242 pound Kuechly to the monster Ray Lewis is silly, IMHO. I am a

long-time draft fanatic, but not a scout - but I see Kuechly as more Poz/Shane Conlan than once-a

generation Ray Lewis.

Besides, how much of an upgrade would Kuechly be over Kelvin Sheppard. He would have to be

considered a MAJOR upgrade over Sheppard for me to consider him at 10 in this draft, especially

Why? He's two inches taller and only three pounds lighter than Ray Lewis...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/luke-kuechly?id=2533056

At 6'3" you'd think he'd easily be able to add at least 10 pounds to his playing weight. He seems like a very intense guy, I like that in a ILB. I just don't see the "Poz" factor. He seems to play like a big guy, just like Ray Lewis.

Why? He's two inches taller and only three pounds lighter than Ray Lewis...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/luke-kuechly?id=2533056

At 6'3" you'd think he'd easily be able to add at least 10 pounds to his playing weight. He seems like a very intense guy, I like that in a ILB. I just don't see the "Poz" factor. He seems to play like a big guy, just like Ray Lewis.

From the link that you provided:

WEAKNESSES The major knock on Kuechly is that he had a lot of "inflated" tackle production throughout his career, the idea being that he is indeed a superb tackler but most of those tackles came 5 to 8 yards downfield in pursuit. He didn't get up into the line of scrimmage to make powerful, impactful plays much, and won't be relied upon as a pass rusher at the next level and is strictly a tackling, sideline-to-sideline backer.

The down-field production was the BIG knock on Poz. I don't care what their listed weights are, look at Ray Lewis' thick

monster build and look at Kuechly. I think there is a big difference. Lewis is an INTIMIDATOR, Kuechly doesn't seem to be that

based on what I've read, seen, heard.

Now, I am not saying that Kuechly isn't a very good player. I think he probably is, and I think that Poz was unfairly criticized

here and is better than he got credit for. However, I think Ray Lewis is probably the best LB in the last 30 years.

if we get mario, i would definitely have no problem getting kuechly at 10 if he's still there. :thumbsup: it's not like we're exactly "loaded" at LB anyway.

if mario screws us, then i'd be more inclined to go with pass-rushing DL at 10

Edited by bobobonators

What little video I've watched of him he doesn't appear to be a very physical player.

Also as discussed in an earlier Keuchly thread, the consensus here was that you simply don't take an ILB that highly in the draft.

That discussion mentioned Patrick Willis, AJ Hawk… surprised this wasn't merged.

generation Ray Lewis.

Oops - except he isn't leaving Buffalo tonight.

Mind you, they still may (probably?) not get him.

I tend to think you can't use your 1st rounder for need, but you're right we sure do need pass rush.

W/O Mario, theyre going to have to get lucky/smart with their picks past round 1.

What little video I've watched of him he doesn't appear to be a very physical player.

Also as discussed in an earlier Keuchly thread, the consensus here was that you simply don't take an ILB that highly in the draft.

That discussion mentioned Patrick Willis, AJ Hawk… surprised this wasn't merged.

ILB position is critical on a 4-3D..as opposed to 3-4. so if there's an elite talent, like kuechly, at 10..i personally wouldn't consider it much of a reach at all.

ILB position is critical on a 4-3D..as opposed to 3-4. so if there's an elite talent, like kuechly, at 10..i personally wouldn't consider it much of a reach at all.

Hmmm, well in the 4-3 you have a MLB and it does seem the Bills are committed (for better or worse) to Sheppard.

I've watched about 100 plays of Keuchly.

With his athleticism, he could play outside undoubtedly.

Personally I like Bruce Irvin and Zach Brown more than I like Keuchly.

I wouldn't hate it. He would be a significant addition for sure. I just think that taking him really wastes last years 3rd round pick. I think Luke will be a much better pro than sheppard, but I think the talent gap between Martin and Hairston (at LT) is much greater than Luke and sheppard. I don't hope this is the case, but if Barnett, sheppard and Morrison were our starting LBs behind Mario, Kyle and marcel, I think they would be adequate. If they had a game changer at LB, it would definitely help, but I really about not resigning bell, and having Hairston and pears as starters without any quality backups. I'm assuming we'd draft a LT later on, we'd just have today the guy could step in and play of needed

That would be great but Wanny said in an interview that the front 4 has to make a difference & i got to thinking what if b/c we already have a ILB we took last year if they went with ...

Coples -- K . Williams -- Dareus -- M . Williams :thumbsup: WOW !!that would be a front 4 that would make a difference :worthy: !!

Then add another LB in the second like D Hightower -- man that would be a front 4 that would make teams like the Pats stand up & take notice !!

I hadn't considered Kuechly before. Now I think SSLB is the weakest link on the defense, and he would fit the Bill. A guy that can cover TE's and has great instincts could really solidify the defense. If the pass rush improves as much as we all expect with the addition of MW, teams are gonna be running a lot of short passing routes. Linebacker territory.

I don't see a LB at #10. We've got our three starters, so I believe that we'll pick somebody that really has a chance to start sometime this season (barring injury). WR is looking like it's possible. OT, maybe.

I don't see a LB at #10. We've got our three starters, so I believe that we'll pick somebody that really has a chance to start sometime this season (barring injury). WR is looking like it's possible. OT, maybe.

Of the of the LB's, the only one that is good is Barnett. Sheppard is unproven, and Morrison is a journeyman. I know what the team needs are, but reaching for a WR or LT is a mistake. I don't think any of the WR that are expected to still be on the board are worthy of the 10th pick (and rookie WR's don't often have an immediate impact), and I don't know what LT will be there at 10.

Of the of the LB's, the only one that is good is Barnett. Sheppard is unproven, and Morrison is a journeyman. I know what the team needs are, but reaching for a WR or LT is a mistake. I don't think any of the WR that are expected to still be on the board are worthy of the 10th pick (and rookie WR's don't often have an immediate impact), and I don't know what LT will be there at 10.

A journeyman that can start at least until a draft pick is ready, and I think we can do that with a 2nd- or 3rd-day pick.

I would rather get Hightower because he can play strong side lb in a 4-3

I would rather get Hightower because he can play strong side lb in a 4-3

Not as well as Kuechly. He is faster, and has better instincts than Hightower. He will be drafted before Hightower.

A journeyman that can start at least until a draft pick is ready, and I think we can do that with a 2nd- or 3rd-day pick.

Sure, they could approach it that way too. That could be said about ANY position. But if he is the BPA, he would be a wise choice, because it is a position of need.

I would love the pick. We should go Def in the 1st round. Dictate from that side of the ball. The draft is deep in Tackles, we can get one in Rd. 2. The draft is not deep in impact defensive players.

I would love a great LT or WR, and I don't think they should do anything but get the BPA. I guess why I posted is because I think if they do go defense, I don't think they need another D-lineman. I'm thinking that the best way to improve what they now have defensively is by adding a 3-down SSLB that is good in coverage (especially to cover TE's) because I expect teams to attack them with quick passes.

Luke Kuechly in my opinion, is one of the best linebackers to come out of the draft since Patrick Willis. By far my favorite prospect in the draft this year. I'll be honest, before watching his tape, I thought he'd be another Poz. Instead, the guy is awesome in coverage and just flies around the field. He ran a 4.5 forty at the combine which is crazy fast for his size/position. The guy would've had over 200 tackles last year if BC got a Bowl game. He's fast and extremely instinctive. And he's only 20 years old, so he could put on another 10 pounds if needed.

Here's some tape:

Praying we draft this guy at 10. I've never been more sure on a player. He'd make an impact right away too. Hypothetically speaking, if the Bills drafted him and he played 10+ seasons with us, I'd say there's a better chance of his name going on the Wall of Fame, than not. I cannot praise the guy enough.

Luke Kuechly in my opinion, is one of the best linebackers to come out of the draft since Patrick Willis. By far my favorite prospect in the draft this year. I'll be honest, before watching his tape, I thought he'd be another Poz. Instead, the guy is awesome in coverage and just flies around the field. He ran a 4.5 forty at the combine which is crazy fast for his size/position. The guy would've had over 200 tackles last year if BC got a Bowl game. He's fast and extremely instinctive. And he's only 20 years old, so he could put on another 10 pounds if needed.

Here's some tape:

youtube.com/watch?v=lbpNkBiLDeU

Praying we draft this guy at 10. I've never been more sure on a player. He'd make an impact right away too. Hypothetically speaking, if the Bills drafted him and he played 10+ seasons with us, I'd say there's a better chance of his name going on the Wall of Fame, than not. I cannot praise the guy enough.

I am just starting to study up on him. There doesn't seem to be great value at LT or WR at the 10th pick. A 3down linebacker would be gold to this defense. if he is as Urlacher-esque as he is being portrayed, it would be silly to just pick the 3rd ranked LT, or a receiver that wouldn't bring a new facet to the offense.

His scouting report: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90802&draftyear=2013&genpos=ILB

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I have him at #7 on my draft board, meaning I would love to get him at 10.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/142667-your-official-draft-board/page__p__2394629__fromsearch__1#entry2394629

And the fact that many mocks have going to Seattle and Philly, he should be there at 10. Since he will probably be there at ten makes me want him to be a Bill even more.

For all those who are wanting Jonathan Martin at #10. If they are truly going BPA (which you know Nix will), take a look at who's consistently ranked considerably higher than him...

GBNReport:

9. Luke Kuechly

17. Jonathan Martin

NationalFootballPost:

7. Luke Kuechly

62. Jonathan Martin

DraftCountdown:

10. Luke Kuechly

27. Jonathan Martin

DraftTek:

8. Luke Kuechly

25. Jonathan Martin

I think the Bills end up drafting Claiborne, Kuechly or DeCastro. All three have pro bowl level talent and one (or even two) will no doubt be there at our pick.

Edited by 1billsfan

Do you prefer him to Hightower? I for one totally do not.

Edited by Bill from NYC

major bump to this thread now that we have signed Anderson, no way in hell are we taking DL at #10. If Kuechly is there at 10, our MLB position will be filled for the next decade and our defense will be pretty sick (imo). i'm salivating.

Edited by bobobonators

That would be so strong of a move...This offseason would be a huge statement:

AFC East - you're all fukng warned!

Kuechley - Barnett - Merriman (I know...It just looks better with his name here)

Williams - Williams - Dareus - Anderson

Edited by filthymcnasty08

major bump to this thread now that we have signed Anderson, no way in hell are we taking DL at #10. If Kuechly is there at 10, our MLB position will be filled for the next decade and our defense will be pretty sick (imo). i'm salivating.

I disagree, a little. I would still be VERY interested in Melvin Ingram, but if he is gone, I think I'd be quite happy with Kuechly.

I disagree, a little. I would still be VERY interested in Melvin Ingram, but if he is gone, I think I'd be quite happy with Kuechly.

I read somewhere we have committed something like 58 million in cash to the DL this year, which is almost half of the entire salary cap. There is zero chance IMO we devote another 10 million or so to the #10 overall pick to (not) play DE, especially when we have at least two glaring needs at LT and WR.

after addressing the DL, without question. I feel he is a 2nd tier player, almost elite. Plug him into the Middle move Kelvin out to Sam, and Barnett at Will and we see a rather strong 7 man front.

I have him at #7 on my draft board, meaning I would love to get him at 10.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/142667-your-official-draft-board/page__p__2394629__fromsearch__1#entry2394629

You, actually have a draft board ? Nice

Ingram is still a stud. who can play standing up. I don't think we would take him now, however. This may put CB back into play(not my choice) if we don't go with LT.