Stevie Johnson Contract SIGNED

iommi

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyone listened to the Nix interview this AM on Buffalo radio, but a Tweet (Retweeted by the Bills) said "Nix on stevie: always optimistic as long as 2 sides talking. have talked with agent since combine. franchise tag is an option"

Good to know they've talked at the combine and SINCE the combine.

Last week the speculation was that the deal would get done this week, let's hope its close...

Edited by Heitz

With FA just 12 days away, why would SJ sign now? If I was him, I would roll the dice and test the waters. Sure there is the possibility he may not get an offer better than the Bills current (whatever that is), but being that he won't break the bank like other more known WR's, some club would throw good money at him. Even if he rolled that dice and lost, he would still make more than he does now, sort of a win-win position

With FA just 12 days away, why would SJ sign now? If I was him, I would roll the dice and test the waters. Sure there is the possibility he may not get an offer better than the Bills current (whatever that is), but being that he won't break the bank like other more known WR's, some club would throw good money at him. Even if he rolled that dice and lost, he would still make more than he does now, sort of a win-win position

You make a good point, in that they have absolutely nothing to lose, and only to gain, by hitting the market.

Best case scenario for SJ, they get another offer that helps drive up his value. Much like Clabo used the Bills against the Falcons, SJ can use the leverage to increase our offer and then still sign with the Bills.

Worst case scenario, he doesnt get any offers, and then signs with the Bills for what they already have worked out.

This isnt a Whitner situation where Buddy doesnt really care about re-signing him. If SJ tests the market and then comes back, we'll still sign him.

I feel that Stevie genuinely wants to come back here. I think that is why they are working on it now. I know we are jaded as fans but sometimes players may actually have some loyalty and Stevie seems to fit this.

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/sports/amn-uk-football-exwildcat-johnson-legit-after-rupp-arena-introduction-20120229,0,3516535,full.story

“I guess I was just blessed to be in a great spot. It’s all about where you end up. Those guys (from UK) are still probably better or at least equal in talent to me, but it’s about where you end up. I was fortunate to end up in Buffalo and got to play. The coaches saw something in me and I got an opportunity. It’s a weird league. There’s a lot of talent you never get to see because of the team’s style of play where a guy lands.”

Where Johnson lands next year remains in doubt. He insists he would like to stay in Buffalo, where quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has signed a new deal. Buffalo could use the franchise tag on him to keep him, or let Johnson test the free agent market.

“I was already planning on making a change as far as the type of mentality I have on and off the field,” Johnson said. “I have put in time with my quarterback. I know my quarterback will be there for the long run. If I sing a long-term deal, I¿can do all I can to build up the organization. I am going to change and become a better player and person around the (team) facility.”

Threat of the franchise tag being used.

How is the idea of making $9.4mil this year (much more than his current offer) considered a "threat"???

I get the whole 1-year thing, but all the tag does is buy us more time to work out a long term deal with him. And worst case scenario, he makes $1mil or $2mil more than he was going to.

I feel that Stevie genuinely wants to come back here. I think that is why they are working on it now. I know we are jaded as fans but sometimes players may actually have some loyalty and Stevie seems to fit this.

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/sports/amn-uk-football-exwildcat-johnson-legit-after-rupp-arena-introduction-20120229,0,3516535,full.story

“I guess I was just blessed to be in a great spot. It’s all about where you end up. Those guys (from UK) are still probably better or at least equal in talent to me, but it’s about where you end up. I was fortunate to end up in Buffalo and got to play. The coaches saw something in me and I got an opportunity. It’s a weird league. There’s a lot of talent you never get to see because of the team’s style of play where a guy lands.”

Where Johnson lands next year remains in doubt. He insists he would like to stay in Buffalo, where quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has signed a new deal. Buffalo could use the franchise tag on him to keep him, or let Johnson test the free agent market.

“I was already planning on making a change as far as the type of mentality I have on and off the field,” Johnson said. “I have put in time with my quarterback. I know my quarterback will be there for the long run. If I sing a long-term deal, I¿can do all I can to build up the organization. I am going to change and become a better player and person around the (team) facility.”

This dude is like the Anit-Whitner. Late round pick that brings more value and actually produces. Great guy, and interacts with fans very well via social media.

He'll be back! :thumbsup:

You make a good point, in that they have absolutely nothing to lose, and only to gain, by hitting the market.

Worst case scenario, he doesnt get any offers, and then signs with the Bills for what they already have worked out.

Sorry - that's simply false. I can just about gaurantee you any offers the Bills have extended to Stevie and his agent expire when FA begins.

Once he tests the open market - if the best offers are less than what the Bills have already offered, they will lower their offer too. They are also just as likely to spend their money elsewhere on a bumper crop of FA WR's. They've already said publicly if they lose Stevie they'll go get TWO top WRs.

That's why SJ and his agent are negotiating with the Bills now. Their current offers are the proverbial "bird in the hand". That bird flies when FA starts.

Edited by BobChalmers

Sorry - that's simply false. I can just about gaurantee you any offers the Bills have extended to Stevie and his agent expire when FA begins.

Once he tests the open market - if the best offers are less than what the Bills have already offered, they will lower their offer too. They are also just as likely to spend their money elsewhere on a bumper crop of FA WR's. They've already said publicly if they lose Stevie they'll go get TWO top WRs.

That's why SJ and his agent are negotiating with the Bills now. Their current offers are the proverbial "bird in the hand". That bird flies when FA starts.

There is no way for the Bills to know exactly what the other offers would amount to. That isnt public information. So if they get lower offers, the Bills have no idea.

And if this was any other Free Agent, Id agree that the Bills offer expires at Free Agency. But it's Stevie, their most important Free Agent. If you or the Bills think they are going to easily replace him by bringing in other guys, you are sorely mistaken. They might be able to replace the talent level, for a high price, but they will not be able to replace the established relationship with the team. And that does mean something.

There is no way for the Bills to know exactly what the other offers would amount to. That isnt public information. So if they get lower offers, the Bills have no idea.

And if this was any other Free Agent, Id agree that the Bills offer expires at Free Agency. But it's Stevie, their most important Free Agent. If you or the Bills think they are going to easily replace him by bringing in other guys, you are sorely mistaken. They might be able to replace the talent level, for a high price, but they will not be able to replace the established relationship with the team. And that does mean something.

I couldnt have said it better myself

There is no guarantee of a "bumper crop" of WRs in FA. Welker is going to be tagged, Bowe is probably going to be tagged. There's still a shot V-Jax is going to be tagged, as well as Colston.

Out of anyone, I'd say V-Jax and Colston are most likely to hit FA, along with Manningham and Garcon. So, thats not much to work from if we DON'T re-sign Stevie. We'd have to sign 2 of the top 4 WRs on the market., Not likely.

There is no guarantee of a "bumper crop" of WRs in FA. Welker is going to be tagged, Bowe is probably going to be tagged. There's still a shot V-Jax is going to be tagged, as well as Colston.

Out of anyone, I'd say V-Jax and Colston are most likely to hit FA, along with Manningham and Garcon. So, thats not much to work from if we DON'T re-sign Stevie. We'd have to sign 2 of the top 4 WRs on the market., Not likely.

There are like 4-5 other good receivers that will be out there ad well

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I saw today on Sports Center that the Steelers are maybe going to 'tender' WR Mike Wallace(i believe this was the team and player).

Each team gets one 'tender offer'.

Basically then it allows the team to get something in return for the player, and also allows them the ability to match an offer he gets on the market.

Why no discusion of this for Stevie?

And am i way off?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I saw today on Sports Center that the Steelers are maybe going to 'tender' WR Mike Wallace(i believe this was the team and player).

Basically then it allows the team to get something in return for the player, and also allows them the ability to match an offer he gets on the market.

And am i way off?

That's only for players with less than 4 years of service time.

There are like 4-5 other good receivers that will be out there ad well

The Eagles have tagged DeSean Jackson. One more WR off the market.

And am i way off?

Mike Wallace is a RFA (3 years experience), hence the reason they can put the RFA tender on him. After 4 years (like Stevie), you become a UFA.

And am i way off?

Wallace is a restricted FA, so a one-year tender deal basically protects them from losing him without compensation, while also giving them the opportunity to match any offer he gets. Teams can do this with any and all restricted FAs, and aren't limited to one (you're thinking of the franchise tag).

Wallace is a restricted FA, so a one-year tender deal basically protects them from losing him without compensation, while also giving them the opportunity to match any offer he gets. Teams can do this with any and all restricted FAs, and aren't limited to one (you're thinking of the franchise tag).

A team would have to sign Wallace to a bigger deal than Pitts and give up the tendered pick, which was designated a 1st rounder for Wallace. So Wallace ain't going no wheres in 2012 beside Pittsburgh. The tender is only for 2.2M so I'm guessing Wallace ain't too happy about that but they have time to work out a deal.

Like what was mentioned earlier, Stevie is an UFA which means the only way a team keeps him is with the franchise tag.