5 dirtiest players or coaches in NFL history

major

clearly just trying to block on the interception return! have waited a good decade for one of our horrible d-linemen to do that to brady.

You saw what happened when Florence just breathed in Brady's direction on the INT return this season. He would have been suspended for life if he actually tried to hit Brady.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, no love for Monty Stickles???

link

I had the great pleasure of quaffing a few ales with Monty on several occasions back in my SF days. He was retired from football, had a Labatt distributorship in the Bay area, and was actually introduced to me by the owner of an establishment I frequented as 'the dirtiest player in the NFL - a 'distinction' that apparently pleased him . When I joked that Conrad Dobler would argue with that description, Monty got a bit animated, insisting, "Dobler was nothin'...I was way dirtier than Conrad Dobler!!!"

He really was a very nice and fun guy to be around, and a colorful character on and off the field...

Linebackers always knew when Monty Stickles was coming. Bartenders, too...

Former 49er tight end was a tough customer

Edited by The Senator

Ben Davidson

Conrad Dobler

Fred Williamson

Rodney Harrison

James Harrison

GO BILLS!!!

I'm on with your first two choices! The Bills had a strong Safety back in the late 60's named John Pitts who was a true cheap shot artist. One game Larry Czonka was rambling down the sidelines for a long run, slowed down to take a shot at Pitts, as in a combination forearm elbow and got called for a 15 yard conduct penalty. The Dolphin sideline, the crowd, and annoucers went beserk.

Gotta disagree on Hines Ward. These defensive players think it's great to lay-out receivers, but they can't handle it when he knocks them out on blocks. Dude is tough as nails, not dirty.

What about that one Niner offensive lineman in the 90s? The guy won the dirtiest player "award" every year. Can't remember his name.

I forgot one: Charles Hailey. He might have 5 super bowl rings but the guy was dirty. Could be a reason he isn't in the HOF yet.

Taking a piss on George Seifert's car, when he wanted out of SF, does not help his cause either.

He had some cheap shots too, but I wouldn't put him in the top 5.

Edited by Mark Vader

James Harrison isn't "dirty". He just refuses to learn the new rules. The hits he's been fined for were legal when he came into the league.

Now, Vince Willfuk is a very dirty player. And he has scabies.

Harrison continues to break the rules, but rules that weren't in effect for previous generations of players so I get your point, but I'd call him dirty. Agree on Wilfork, surprised he wasn't on the original.

I wouldn't consider Ward a dirty player, just one who plays hard every play. He's leveled his share of defensive players, but I don't consider him dirty. Offensive players who have been blind sided by him probably do though. If you include him then how about Warren Sapp? A rule changed after Sapp leveled an unsuspecting o-lineman after a turnover.

And those who might mention Deacon Jones or Ben Davidson etc., what they did wasn't against the rules when they played the game.

In my opinion, the 5 dirtiest players/coaches in NFL History were/is:

1. Jack Tatum

2. Hines Ward

3. Buddy or Rex Ryan

4. James Harrison

5. John Gruden

I excluded owners because the list would be too long.

Hines Ward? Was this cuz he broke someone's jaw on a legal block. Or is it cuz he always smiles when he hits someone? Man, that was an awsome block(keep your head on a swivel).

I would not have had Ward on the list. Plenty of aother dirty players to choose from. Rodney Harrison comes to mind. Dirty player in his days and now is a hipocrite(sp) on TV. Tha's one guy I was happy to see go down with a knee late in his career.