David Lee, new QB coach

QB Bills

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Fitz got injured - I think his mechanics just nosedived for some reason in the middle of the season. When that happened, passes started sailing and his pick total accelerated.

They need a coach to focus just on Fitz's mechanics, all season long (even during games, although it's nearly impossible to correct mechanical issues during games). Hopefully that's what this guy is being brought in to accomplish.

Fitz game went down the drain, when his Center went down to injury. Wood gave him that extra second in the pocket and that made a big difference in his ability to step up and throw (or the inability)

The new qb coach will bring some fresh eyes in and work with off line coach, WR's coach, etc. Hopefully he sees what Fitzes needs are now to take another step up. The guy has a decent resume i guess, but i cant imagine at all that he was brought on for us to go wildcat crazy.

I feel it's gonna show up this season though. the offense will be consistent this coming year. just an early hunch though of course

The new qb coach will bring some fresh eyes in and work with off line coach, WR's coach, etc. Hopefully he sees what Fitzes needs are now to take another step up. The guy has a decent resume i guess, but i cant imagine at all that he was brought on for us to go wildcat crazy.

I feel it's gonna show up this season though. the offense will be consistent this coming year. just an early hunch though of course

I'm happy with him. Another creative/innovative mind is a good thing. He also has a pretty decent resume.

Some one to help Fitz throw a long ball with some kind of accuracy. He needs a lot of help in that regard.

I think it's the worst part of his game. His long ball is always close to a 50/50 toss up in terms of a completion or interception.

One of the reasons why a barn burning receiver may not help us as we would expect. Anything past 15 to 20 yards is a high risk pass for Fitz.

Of course having sub par NFL tackles hasn't helped him either.

Some one to help Fitz throw a long ball with some kind of accuracy. He needs a lot of help in that regard.

I think that help is called an "offensive line" and a "top-notch burner WR with good hands"

Creating occasional doubt as to whether we pass or run might be helpful as well

Watch Josh Nesbitt emerge as the Bills new wildcat threat.

Impressive roster knowledge, I had to Google him

I think it's the worst part of his game. His long ball is always close to a 50/50 toss up in terms of a completion or interception.

One of the reasons why a barn burning receiver may not help us as we would expect. Anything past 15 to 20 yards is a high risk pass for Fitz.

This is a very interesting point, BPA. I would tend to agree, a barn burning receiver by himself won't help us much.

Do you have any idea what the long ball completion percentage is across the league? I've been hunting, and can't find more recent than 2007

At that time, completion percentage fell about 28% (league wide) going from 5 yd short passes to 16-25% "deep" passes, and an additional 20% (eg 48%) throwing "bombs" of >26 yds.

This would suggest that if Fitz (average completion percentage 62%) is completing about 75% of his short passes, it would be "typical" for his longer throws to be 50/50 propositions.

We all tend to be more critical of our own. Except when we aren't :pirate:

Some people blamed Hennes regression on him. That said, as others have said, its possible Henne just sucked. Gues we'll see.

Side note: I think Chad Pennington would make a fantastic QB coach.

Interesting, I was in the Miami area all week, and Tuesday evening heard Chad P. on a local sports talk show. That question was asked of him: his response, he has no interest in coaching. It would have to be a very unique situation, and he would only do it to help someone he knew well.

Don't thin he will be coming to Buffalo soon.

Calling them sub par is being kind, i just don't think many fans understand just how bad those OT's really are. The reason is, Fitz can mask a lot of deficiencies by getting the ball out so quickly. Plus Chan is helping mask them by setting up a short passing game.

I just don't get how a HC could go into a season knowing how limited his play calling is going to be in the passing game and yet keep trying to make it work game after game.

Finally after 2 years of this Buddy Nix is talking about drafting some OT's, lets see what happens.

Calling them sub par is being kind, i just don't think many fans understand just how bad those OT's really are. The reason is, Fitz can mask a lot of deficiencies by getting the ball out so quickly. Plus Chan is helping mask them by setting up a short passing game.

I just don't get how a HC could go into a season knowing how limited his play calling is going to be in the passing game and yet keep trying to make it work game after game.

Finally after 2 years of this Buddy Nix is talking about drafting some OT's, lets see what happens.

There's more to being an OT than pass blocking. All of our T's have proven MORE than effective as run blockers. Put the lid back on the Hatorade, you're spilling that **** everywhere, bro.

There's more to being an OT than pass blocking. All of our T's have proven MORE than effective as run blockers. Put the lid back on the Hatorade, you're spilling that **** everywhere, bro.

When did I ever say anything to the contrary to that bolded part ?

Yea well, I'm not hating on anything or anyone. All I've been trying to do is open some other fans eyes to the fact that there is more to what transpires on the field then what the stats say.

Finally someone at OBD gets what I've been seeing.

http://www.buffalobi...88-e718580579a3

#10 OT Jonathan Martin – Stanford

Lande’s take: Proof that stats lie: The Bills allowed 29 sacks in 2011, tied for third-fewest in the NFL, but sources in Buffalo say the team's tackles "are a major concern." Martin is an elite athlete with the talent to be a top tackle. He would be an immediate upgrade on the left side.

The running game improvements this year have a great deal to do with the formations utilized by Chan Gailey, that spread offense keeps opposing defense's from stacking the box to stop the run. Did you ever see a running play this past season when this Bills team used a closed formation trying to make short yardage, it wasn't pretty, and it wasn't usually successful either.

When did I ever say anything to the contrary to that bolded part ?

Yea well, I'm not hating on anything or anyone. All I've been trying to do is open some other fans eyes to the fact that there is more to what transpires on the field then what the stats say.

Finally someone at OBD gets what I've been seeing.

Lande’s take: Proof that stats lie: The Bills allowed 29 sacks in 2011, tied for third-fewest in the NFL, but sources in Buffalo say the team's tackles "are a major concern." Martin is an elite athlete with the talent to be a top tackle. He would be an immediate upgrade on the left side.

The running game improvements this year have a great deal to do with the formations utilized by Chan Gailey, that spread offense keeps opposing defense's from stacking the box to stop the run. Did you ever see a running play this past season when this Bills team used a closed formation trying to make short yardage, it wasn't pretty, and it wasn't usually successful either.

I stand by what I've been saying consistently since Nix's press conference: the positions we're most likely to address with the #10 pick are CB, T, or WR.

I don't think our T's are great, but they're not "sub par."

I stand by what I've been saying consistently since Nix's press conference: the positions we're most likely to address with the #10 pick are CB, T, or WR.

They aren't elite, or Great (very few are), but they are good/good enough. And i believe Nix only said they would be looking at getting A tackle, because you can never have too many. They just gave pears an extension, so I hardly think they believe he is a problem. Too many people have it in their heads that players have to be elite/Pro-Bowlers for a team to be good. The issue on the line this year wasn't talent, it was the depth.

I don't see them drafting a tackle so early (even less likely if they can re-sign Bell). More then likely the first couple picks get used on a WR, pass rusher, and DBs from the way Nix spoke about the team

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and although I don't share it, Its OK because I think most fans posting here don't see it either. Drafting an OT early is not a sexy or exciting pick and most really don't want to see this team draft a position they all think is currently fine. But its not fine and hasn't been fine since the the departure of JP. A top LOT is so very key to any team being successful in about every offensive play they run.

A big reason why I post on this subject has to do with the fact that both Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey stated before their first draft in 2010 that an OT early was a "priority", and they didn't draft one until rounds 5 & 7.... both players are long gone. They drafted Hairston last year with a #4 pick, but a 4th rounder at that position is usually a developmental player.

I'm not the only one that thinks this team needs upgrades on the line.

#10 OT Riley Reiff – Iowa

McShay's take: The Bills have had a pressing need at left tackle for years, and haven't drafted one since they missed on Mike Williams at No. 4 overall in 2002. Reiff isn't a finished product but has good natural feet for his size, and he projects as a very good starting left tackle if developed properly.

allow me to reiterate:

Lande's take: Proof that stats lie: The Bills allowed 29 sacks in 2011, tied for third-fewest in the NFL, but sources in Buffalo say the team's tackles "are a major concern." Martin is an elite athlete with the talent to be a top tackle. He would be an immediate upgrade on the left side.

This Bills team has been desperate for a dominate pass rusher and LOT since 2008, anything other then either of those two positions with that #10 would make me :sick:

PS Even Dick Jauron thinks drafting a CB at #10 this year is lame...:lol:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and although I don't share it, Its OK because I think most fans posting here don't see it either. Drafting an OT early is not a sexy or exciting pick and most really don't want to see this team draft a position they all think is currently fine. But its not fine and hasn't been fine since the the departure of JP. A top LOT is so very key to any team being successful in about every offensive play they run.

A big reason why I post on this subject has to do with the fact that both Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey stated before their first draft in 2010 that an OT early was a "priority", and they didn't draft one until rounds 5 & 7.... both players are long gone. They drafted Hairston last year with a #4 pick, but a 4th rounder at that position is usually a developmental player.

I'm not the only one that thinks this team needs upgrades on the line.

#10 OT Riley Reiff – Iowa

McShay's take: The Bills have had a pressing need at left tackle for years, and haven't drafted one since they missed on Mike Williams at No. 4 overall in 2002. Reiff isn't a finished product but has good natural feet for his size, and he projects as a very good starting left tackle if developed properly.

allow me to reiterate:

Lande's take: Proof that stats lie: The Bills allowed 29 sacks in 2011, tied for third-fewest in the NFL, but sources in Buffalo say the team's tackles "are a major concern." Martin is an elite athlete with the talent to be a top tackle. He would be an immediate upgrade on the left side.

This Bills team has been desperate for a dominate pass rusher and LOT since 2008, anything other then either of those two positions with that #10 would make me :sick:

PS Even Dick Jauron thinks drafting a CB at #10 this year is lame...:lol:

My thoughts on drafting our team's pass rush with the #10 pick: LINK

I'd be very satisfied with either Reiff or Martin as the #10--based solely on what I've heard about these guys.

I'd be letdown with a CB, but I wouldn't be pissed and I wouldn't be shocked/dumbfounded/slamming my fists in bewilderment.

My thoughts on drafting our team's pass rush with the #10 pick: LINK

I'd be very satisfied with either Reiff or Martin as the #10--based solely on what I've heard about these guys.

I'd be letdown with a CB, but I wouldn't be pissed and I wouldn't be shocked/dumbfounded/slamming my fists in bewilderment.

I'd also be let down with ANOTHER 1st round on a CB/DB :doh:

Dick Jauron may have been an Ivy league grad, but he wasn't very bright in certain areas. Being an ex DB himself in the league he must have felt that the prime way to build a defense was to load up on top DB's

I imagine he is still wakes up in a cold sweat seeing Tom Brady hit randy Moss for another deep TD. Jauron's problem was he couldn't see the forest for the trees. If he would have found a replacement for Aaron Schobel after Schobel was injured he might not have felt the need to draft so many DB's during his time in Buffalo.

Whitner- Youboty- Simpson- Wendling- Mckelven- Corner- Cox- Byrd- Harris- Langster... 10 DB's & 3 DE's drafted under Jauron ...Chris Ellis a 3rd rounder- CJ Ah You 7th rounder, Aaron Maybin 1st rounder. What Jauron didn't get it is that Maybin was a huge project as a pass rusher, (only played his SR year) and the team needed help immediately like Brian Orakpo could have given the team.

While Nix has drafted 2 DB's In #2 Williams & #4 Searcy, he also drafted 2 DE's in #6 Batten and #3 Carrington. So the team under Nix / Gailey hasn't really addressed either OT or DE / OLB pass rusher in the early stages of the draft for their two years. I can't understand why because both areas have been glaring needs.

When you have two areas of the highest need of the team its just doesn't make any logical sense to gloss over them with late round maybe picks like this team has the last 3-4 years

Honest question:

What does a QB coach do?

Will he be the one to help with Fitz's mechanics? Or are there other guys on staff to do that?

Because unless he can do that, I'm not sure what benefit having another expert schemer on our staff will wield. Between Gailey and Fitz, we have plenty of mental power. Fitz knows when and where to put the ball. He's an excellent passer, a below average thrower. We need someone to rectify the latter.

While he's at it can he get our WRs to stay healthy so we are not down to starting a wild cat QB at, a guy that was #6 on the depth chart starting the season, truck drivers and grocery baggers at WR? Can he also get our line to provide reliable protection so that Fitz doesn't have to be the second fastest QB in the league at getting rid of the ball?

I'd also be let down with ANOTHER 1st round on a CB/DB :doh:

Dick Jauron may have been an Ivy league grad, but he wasn't very bright in certain areas. Being an ex DB himself in the league he must have felt that the prime way to build a defense was to load up on top DB's

I imagine he is still wakes up in a cold sweat seeing Tom Brady hit randy Moss for another deep TD. Jauron's problem was he couldn't see the forest for the trees. If he would have found a replacement for Aaron Schobel after Schobel was injured he might not have felt the need to draft so many DB's during his time in Buffalo.

Whitner- Youboty- Simpson- Wendling- Mckelven- Corner- Cox- Byrd- Harris- Langster... 10 DB's & 3 DE's drafted under Jauron ...Chris Ellis a 3rd rounder- CJ Ah You 7th rounder, Aaron Maybin 1st rounder. What Jauron didn't get it is that Maybin was a huge project as a pass rusher, (only played his SR year) and the team needed help immediately like Brian Orakpo could have given the team.

While Nix has drafted 2 DB's In #2 Williams & #4 Searcy, he also drafted 2 DE's in #6 Batten and #3 Carrington. So the team under Nix / Gailey hasn't really addressed either OT or DE / OLB pass rusher in the early stages of the draft for their two years. I can't understand why because both areas have been glaring needs.

When you have two areas of the highest need of the team its just doesn't make any logical sense to gloss over them with late round maybe picks like this team has the last 3-4 years

But here's where you bias has no merit:

10 DB's in 4 drafts...that's on par, if not less than what most teams in the league do. 2.5 DB's per draft is not--by any definition--an astonishing amount.

But here's where you bias has no merit:

10 DB's in 4 drafts...that's on par, if not less than what most teams in the league do. 2.5 DB's per draft is not--by any definition--an astonishing amount.

What bias?

Is this team not desperate for a dominate pass rusher at OLB / DE or a top LOT?

Who cares other teams do, or if they draft 10 DB's a year!

My entire point here is that both Jauron and Nix / Gaily have tried to fix the two most important positions in the NFL with late round picks that are usually developmental players rather the early draft picks for top players. Between the two regimes they have drafted ONE PLAYER #1 DE / OLB in Maybin (Jauron) who was clearly a huge gamble as a pass rusher. Gailey dumped him because the lame DC he hired couldn't figure out how to get any production out of him, and yet the Jets did get 6 sacks from him.

This current regime hasn't even tried to draft early for a pass rusher OLB / DE, or OLT

Edited by Fear the Beard

Let me start off by saying I'm an Ole Miss alum, so I had to sit through Lee's offense all year this year. Lee was terrible with our team and to beat all he was terrible in his job before Ole Miss. This hire leaves an awful taste in my mouth.

He's qb coach. How do you feel about our new asst defensive line coach?

If any positional hire makes you sick to your stomach it's time to reevaluate some things.

Hes a guy with a long resume, has been a good contributer on several staffs and will not be calling plays or anything of that sort.

Let me start off by saying I'm an Ole Miss alum, so I had to sit through Lee's offense all year this year. Lee was terrible with our team and to beat all he was terrible in his job before Ole Miss. This hire leaves an awful taste in my mouth.

How was the personnel on Ole Miss this season? One can't make silk from a sow's ear, as I'm sure you know. College football coaching is all about recruiting. Pro football coaching is all about coaching. Big difference.

Since there's no true quarterback on the roster, I don't see any pluses or minuses on the hire. Can anyone help a starter that has had accuracy problems his entire college and NFL career? I don't think so. Fitz is what he is. Surrounded by 10 quality players he could bring average too slightly above play to the team. After Fitz our "quality" at the position really nosedives. Our backup is a chump, and I'm being kind. We have NO true #3, we have a multi-positional bust in Brad Smith. Smith added nothing to the Bills last year, in the return game, the "wildcat", or as a receiver. Yet he is our #3. I can't even imagine the horror of the quarterback position if even Fitz went down for an extended time. So, the Lee hire will probably not even matter in the current quarterback dept.

And as an Arkansas fan, I'm not sure whether that's Lee's fault or that of Houston Nutt. The Razorbacks didn't have much luck with their QBs or their passing game before Petrino was hired.

Since there's no true quarterback on the roster, I don't see any pluses or minuses on the hire. Can anyone help a starter that has had accuracy problems his entire college and NFL career? I don't think so. Fitz is what he is. Surrounded by 10 quality players he could bring average too slightly above play to the team. After Fitz our "quality" at the position really nosedives. Our backup is a chump, and I'm being kind. We have NO true #3, we have a multi-positional bust in Brad Smith. Smith added nothing to the Bills last year, in the return game, the "wildcat", or as a receiver. Yet he is our #3. I can't even imagine the horror of the quarterback position if even Fitz went down for an extended time. So, the Lee hire will probably not even matter in the current quarterback dept.

Smith was not worth the money last year, but to imply he brought nothing is not really fair. At one point, he had made EVERY third and short he came in for except for one false start...admittedly third and short isn't hard, but it is by no means automatic. Frankly, if he brings just that, he's worth a spot on the roster. And it's not like he hasn't had success in the wildcat in the past. His acquisition didn't thrill me, but he wasn't worthless.