A Runningback Controversy Developing?

Hsp08

Good forbid we have two good players at one position! Play one off the other. Fred obviously gets motivated by anyone trying to take his playing time. Maybe Chan can come up with some two-back sets. It might be a good idea to become more of a run team anyway. Don't make Fitz win games with his arm.

PTR

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1324841186[/url]' post='2345407']

WHY??? You got Spiller. No Offenses run much 2 back sets any more. He is signed through 2012. He is over 30. Trade value is a 5th at best. Can't make it through the season. Got a broken leg. Lastly, didn't rushing to sign Fitz early teach any one here a lesson?

Let him play out his contract

Can't make it through the season...it was the first game he's missed due to injury in his career. Keep Fred. Extend him a year and pay him some more money that he deserves. Go into the season with 2 good backs. If one goes down, we still have a good back. Trading Fred would be lunacy. There's no controversy. Fred starts. Cj gets more carries than he did this year, lessening the workload on Fred. He's our best player.

Keep them both and use both next year. Both are weapons, which the offense lacks. There's no point to trading Freddie away.

Seems like Spiller only picked up his game once he was given the burden of being the main back. I think splitting carries was preventing him from getting into a rhythm.

Sign Jackson to a 3 year 15 million dollar contract. End of story.

jackson will not take that little.. we will want premier rb $..

TRADE freddy.. been posting this for weeks.. we are a young rebuilding team. CJ is or future. we can easily get a late 2nd or 3rd for freddy from a contending team in need of a RB that can produce NOW. ;et them pay him 3 yrs 20-25 mil which is what he will want. we do not need both RB's is this system.. all u morons that think we need both is out of their mind, not in chan's system.

Spiller is a major surprise, I will admit thinking he was a bust like many.

Now it will be interesting to see what Nix & Gailey will do. If they can co-exist, they will be an amazing 1-2 punch. The other school of thought is to trade one to get more draft picks, or players, especially for defense. I would assume Fred Jackson would be exposed because of age and his peak trade value. I do love his play and immense heart!

Finally some luxury problems for the Bills, I hope they handle this properly for maximum value and output.

the "other school of thought" would be the school of how to stay mediocre for 12 hungry years.

If you have two quality players at a position, you figure out how to use both of them; if one of them gets injured (ref: 2011) you still have a quality player at that position.

CJ is coming along nicely and there are still areas where he isn't fit to hold FJ's jock yet (pass protection, receiving, fighting up the middle with 5 DL attached to gain those 3-4 hard yards)

Give them both 12-15 carries a game. :D

I was thinking more like 20-25 touches a game.

2 good backs to wear down defenses, and keep the Bills D fresh and on the sideline. Extending Freddy is a must. Put them on the field on every down, and sprinkle Choice in so they can get a breather.

Edited by Kevin

TRADE freddy.. been posting this for weeks.. we are a young rebuilding team. CJ is or future. we can easily get a late 2nd or 3rd for freddy from a contending team in need of a RB that can produce NOW. ;et them pay him 3 yrs 20-25 mil which is what he will want. we do not need both RB's is this system.. all u morons that think we need both is out of their mind, not in chan's system.

I'm searching and not finding a polite way to say this: you are nuts. The reason we are a young rebuilding team is that we have this stupid habit of treating established, quality players as expendable once we sniff someone younger who shows flashes of being good.

We need to keep our starters and find a way to make them both productive.

Since he will probably not get "premier" RB $ ($8M+) from any other team, this is not a very relevant scenario. Can you identify a team who is likely to be willing to sign a 30yr old RB to a 3yr $20-25M contract, when he has only had 1 season near the top of the league and is not known for elite speed? On the other hand, another team is highly likely to give him a 3yr $15M contract with a guarantee in the $9M range. I also think you are wrong about his trade value (again, name a team), and I do not agree that we do not need the 2 backs. It is unlikely for a team with 1 premier back to have that RB make it through the entire NFL season. If we go with Spiller and Choice, we'll have to accept Choice as our starting RB for 2-3 games a season on average.

"Not in Chans system" We must be watching different games. because, a scrub named "choice" came in after every significant CJ run yesterday.Chan always runs 2 backs. Speaking of Chan's system. Fire him, he has not transitioned this time back to the NFL from the college game. Chan is toast. there;s a very good reason he was unemployed before Buddy called him. In fact as we all know there's a good reason Nix was never a GM until he hit 70.

The cronyism behind this team's GM and head coach is pathetic. Nix with his San Diego charity rehabs (merriman) and Gailey with his Georgia tech busts are too much. The Brad Smith signing proves my point on Chans current NFL awareness.

tomlinson has been run into the ground. 3700+ touches in his career. i think fred has a lot more left in his tank than tomlinson does.

Based on what? Just because Fred didn't play in the NFL doesn't mean he didn't play at all. I'm sure he had a ton of milage in the arena and European leagues.

At the end if the day in sports, the most important thing is age. It's very, very rare that NFL players play past thier mid 30s and RB are usually lucky to play after 30 regardless of milage.

Thinking Spiller was a bust when the guy didn't even spend any time on the field is well ---- I'll be nice seeing as it is Christmas & all . But to trade either one is not a good idea , as you said this will be one heck of a 1 - 2 punch & if one goes down you have a security blanket to keep the running game on track .

They can both coexist in our offence ..

Based on what? Just because Fred didn't play in the NFL doesn't mean he didn't play at all. I'm sure he had a ton of milage in the arena and European leagues.

At the end if the day in sports, the most important thing is age. It's very, very rare that NFL players play past thier mid 30s and RB are usually lucky to play after 30 regardless of milage.

I generally agree that "age is the most important factor", but you don't think the impact forces are less per tackle in the indoor and arena leagues, based on the fact that the players hitting you are slower, smaller, and possibly not as strong? NFL Europe was probably very similar to the NFL, but seasons were 10 games long. Also, a factor more important than age is specific injury history. For example, Shawne Merriman has had a serious knee injury and Achilles injury among many others. Despite his relatively "middling" age he is considered to be almost done. By contrast, Fred Jackson has had injuries such as a broken hand or fractured fibula which are generally not as difficult to recover from as a torn Achilles, multiple ligament tear, or niggling soft tissue injuries (groin, shoulder).

End result: Fred Jackson is a viable RB for the 2012 season because he did not incur a major soft-tissue/career-threatening injury in 2011 and was near the top of the league in his first 9 games. No one can say for sure after that, but at some point in the next few years age will catch up with him. That's why he (personally) needs guaranteed money more than total contract value.

In my opinion teams will not give up a high draft pick for any player who is not going to have a 5-year (or more) career. Even a team that "needs a RB" will not want to cash in a high draft pick for fewer years of production. Given a 2nd rd draft pick, the team is better off picking a college RB or BPA and getting a lesser RB who is younger. That's because if (for example) the college RB breaks his leg in year 1, he will have a very good chance of being productive in years 2-5. Whereas, if FJ breaks his leg again next year, his career is just about over. The value proposition is just not there for a 1st-3rd round pick, I think we cannot get more than a 4th for him.

Sign FJ to a reasonable RB contract with a 3-4 year length and a high % guarantee in exchange for lesser total value. I think he will go for it based on the fact that this will put money in the bank for his post-football career. He cannot afford to risk the 2012 season on his current contract as the likelihood of getting a big payoff afterwards is not much higher than the likelihood of a career-ending or diminishing injury.

You have a one two punch like jonathan stewart and deangelo williams. I would love to see if we could get two backs over 1000 yards next year. Spiller could lengthen jackson's career by taking the load off him

This makes too much sense to be embraced by one bills drive. Jackson will probably walk after next season without a serious offer from the Bills.

Edited by vincec

Spiller has had just TWO good games. I'm not anywhere near sold on this kid. Fred has been our most productive back. Period. He's proved his value as a runner time and again. He has won my confidence, and should have won all of yours as well. PAY THE MAN! He's worth it. Fred is far better at 30, than Spiller was at 22.