A Runningback Controversy Developing?

Hsp08

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller is a major surprise, I will admit thinking he was a bust like many.

Now it will be interesting to see what Nix & Gailey will do. If they can co-exist, they will be an amazing 1-2 punch. The other school of thought is to trade one to get more draft picks, or players, especially for defense. I would assume Fred Jackson would be exposed because of age and his peak trade value. I do love his play and immense heart!

Finally some luxury problems for the Bills, I hope they handle this properly for maximum value and output.

Whishbone!

Give them both 12-15 carries a game. :D

I was thinking more like 20 apiece :thumbsup:

Unfortunately it's not a luxery anymore. I love FredEX but the man is over 30 and is now coming back from a broken wheel. From the RB position it's not looking good for his long term future or bank account. Look at Tomlinson, he's not really don't much, been a shell of his old self in the last 3 years or so. You can't even compare Freds ability to Tomlinsons. He will be a first ballot HOFer, and he's dripped off to nothing. Emmitt Smith was the same way.

Fred is great, probably my favorite Bill, but his time is coming to an end. It's too late to trade him for anything really worth it honestly, gotta keep him and utilize him as much as possible but at what cost to Spillers future???

I also don't believe Chan is the coach to maximize 2 good RBs, which will hurt one of them overall. His playcalling has been suspect at best and he's showed that regardless of score, opponent, stadium, weather and temperature he is way too pass happy. Regardless what Chan says, I don't believe he knows how to utilize 2 backs like he claims he wanted to.

Last point, as good as Freddy is, has been for us, he doesn't posess half the skill set and ability that CJ does. The long runs CJ has this year, Fred would have been dropped much earlier because he doesnt have the speed of CJ. And let's not forget that Freddy put up most of his numbers with our starting OLmen when CJ has done it with backup tackles, guards, amd center at times yet still has the same average or close enough. Last I checked it was within .05 yards.

Unless you have a really big guy at Running back you need to play two of them. Spiller is a small running back. He will not be able to lug it 30 times a game for 19 seasons. It;s never going to happen. No NFL successful team operates with just one back anymore and if hey do the guy is a horse. When Jackson declines, hopefully slowly, Spiller will pick up more carrys. My guess is that next year it will be more like 50-50.

CJ has how many decent games under his belt? This is not yet a real controversy. Fred was having an MVP season wile CJ is just now showing signs of being starter material. I think it's a pretty simple formula, actually. They keep Freddy until his contract plays out, then probably let him go. Unfortunately for Fred, CJ showing promise means Fred will have less leverage if he decides to hold out for the deal he deserves.

You have a one two punch like jonathan stewart and deangelo williams. I would love to see if we could get two backs over 1000 yards next year. Spiller could lengthen jackson's career by taking the load off him

This would require a major committment to the run. If Chan is still the man, this aint happenin'.