Our defense is horrible

jahnyc

I understand that our defense has injuries, but other than being opportunistic at times, they can never get off the field. Considering the resources that have been devoted to the defense (drafting Dareus, Sheppard and Williams this past year, signing Barnett and Morrison, re-signing Florence), their play has been terrible. A good part of the blame must go to to the defensive coordinator and the defensive game plan. Our defense has made Sanchez and Romo look like all world QBs. Changes need to be made.

Yeah, why can't they fix the defense in one year? Losers.

Actually they have been drafting for the defense the past two seasons...

Troupe, Carrington last year, Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, Batten this year...Plus FA Merriman, Barnett and re-signed Florence...I think they have spent enough on the defense with little to show far. It is time for Edwards to go.

I agree...we definitely have addressed the defensive side of the ball through the draft and free agency. It's clear that our schemes and matchups are the main reasons for our struggles. Edwards needs to go and either promote Wannsteadt or look elsewhere...

Troupe, Carrington last year, Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, Batten this year...Plus FA Merriman, Barnett and re-signed Florence...I think they have spent enough on the defense with little to show far. It is time for Edwards to go.

It really is inexcuseable for them to be that bad, and it all falls back to a scheme that allows receivers to be wide open...same as last year...let them catch it wherever they want and then try and tackle them...problem is they always catch the ball past the first down marker...

George Edwards is horrible, has been horrible his whole career here and just needs to go...until he goes, this defense will stink

Yeah our defense isn't schemed correctly for this game. No blitzes or stunts to confuse Romo, he's just back there playing a pick-up game. Playing way too far off of the receivers. Just getting outplayed.

Agreed, if we had a Ryan coaching our defense we would be better than average. Too much space receivers have because we have no effective blitz packages or don't even try.

Over 400+ yards allowed on a consistent basis....this guy cannot coach his way out of a paper bag. He is frequently out-coached and slow to make adjustments. Granted the talent he has to work with is playing like a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest; but he is not putting these players in a position to be successful. Time to let him go.

Edited by HelloNewman

Precisely,... they've spent plenty of high picks on Defense with nothing to show for it. They are just so frustrating to watch when the defense plays like this. I would definitely fire Edwards. There's no reason he should stay.

No one is suggesting they can fix or overhaul the defense in one or even two years.

Why shouldnt we expect that it can be done in 2 years... what should it take 4-5?

The Edwards experiment MUST end...Enough is enough...This guy HAS to go...Today would not be soon enough either... B-)

Sadly, who takes his place? Wanny? Wanny I'm sure has had his input, and maybe even some play calling as well and the results speak for themselves. Yet, a statement needs to be made to the defense that what they have done is unacceptable.

Sadly, who takes his place? Wanny? Wanny I'm sure has had his input, and maybe even some play calling as well and the results speak for themselves. Yet, a statement needs to be made to the defense that what they have done is unacceptable.

I don't think its time to change the DC right now. Edwards really sucks, but we still have some games left where we can make a move. Its been a couple rough games, lets see if they can get their crap together next week in Miami.

After the season is over, we definitely need to evaluate the defensive coaching staff and the lack of talent.

I don't think its time to change the DC right now. Edwards really sucks, but we still have some games left where we can make a move. Its been a couple rough games, lets see if they can get their crap together next week in Miami.

After the season is over, we definitely need to evaluate the defensive coaching staff and the lack of talent.

Rough couple of games? Without the the Ints in earlier games, we'd have more losses, 3 at least. The yardage the Bills give up and TOP is totally unacceptable.

Well for right now Wanny will work, but I don't want Wanny longterm either because his stink is on this crap now too...Get somebody in here who is innovative...It could not possibly be worse...They are a JOKE! B-)

Rough couple of games? Without the the Ints in earlier games, we'd have more losses, 3 at least. The yardage the Bills give up and TOP is totally unacceptable.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the Defense has sucked, but I don't think it makes sense to make a move right now. We still have have some games to play, and we are still in the hunt. Changing the DC would be silly.

I wrote this about three or four weeks ago and somebody decided to be a wiseguy and make a snide remark in reply. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who feels this way.

I agree, Wanny has to be involved in this mess. He should go too.

I agree, Wanny has to be involved in this mess. He should go too.

...and to further add to the point, what does anyone think he was brought in for? It was well know we needed D help, even with the last draft stocking up on D. He hasn't added anything to this point. When he was in Dallas back in their early 90's heydey, they had the horses, and I don't recall him having to be too creative. He simply lined them up and let them play. Our D hasn't been strong enough to do this since 1999.

Yeah our defense isn't schemed correctly for this game. No blitzes or stunts to confuse Romo, he's just back there playing a pick-up game. Playing way too far off of the receivers. Just getting outplayed.

This D lacks talent. Our corners can't cover and there is no rush. Dareus and Troup and Williams are a good start but they are only a start. And why are we not running more? second week in a row FJ has been close to 10 Y/C but not enough carries. We should have pounded the ball.

Time to can this uselss , outclassed defensive coordinator who would be outcoached at the Pop warner level, never mind HS or College. If you can't do for any reason then let us know why. Guy has better athletes on defense than most teams yet we get destroyed by WRs ever week. Each team gets 5 or 6 secs to pass yet we stopped blitzing since the Washington game, when we were so effective. If we had Rob Ryan or any Ryan as a def coordinator I guarantee you our DBs would be up on the receivers and the opposing QB would not feels so comfortable. Fire this lame *ss now!

The transition from the undersized, speed-based Tampa-2 defense to what Parcells' dubbed the "Planet Theory", the 3-4 scheme, is only in its second year. Who could've predicted it might not be an easy transition?

We have given GE adequate time to show progress. There actually is none. Last year we sucked in run D to the point where our passing D was not tested much. Between last year and this year, we added a lot of front 7 players who significantly out-weigh the Jauron D. I think due to Kyle Williams and Dareus, we have limited the runs up the middle. But what we are now seeing is not a lot of missed tackles but players simply out of position or vast empty spaces . Romo converted 3rd downs at will as they pretty much knew the middle of the field would be open. This shows a lack of D scheme which entirely falls on GE. There is no opponent specific plan or even in-game adjustments. Trent Edwards and Lynch lost their position with the Bills mid-season. There is NO reason for the coaches to be protected till the end of the season. Esp when we have Wanny who has previous experience. At worst, he will be a transition DC but I doubt he will be worse than GE. The switch should have happened at the bye week. Do it now and spare us the misery of his joke of a D.