Turkey Day meal planning ... what's your favorite side?

BuffaloBill

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two favorite sides by far are creamed onions and sausage stuffing.

Creamed onions are very easy to make. You need to blanch pearl onions in water until tender (keep the water the onions are blanched in for later).

The next step is to make a bechamel sauce (look online for what that is). I like to use 35% whipping cream, butter, flour, a pinch of nutmeg, splash of white wine salt and pepper and then use some of the onion stock to get the correct consistency for the sauce. Mix sauce with the cooked pearl onions. Re-heat later.

Question for the troops here. Why are all the sides for Thanksgiving soft or mashed? Do we all lose our teeth for that holiday? I asked for a nice mixed marinated vegetable salad (broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, celery, olives) couple of years ago and people thought that I had just landed from Mars. What about some roasted beets or carrots?

Question for the troops here. Why are all the sides for Thanksgiving soft or mashed? Do we all lose our teeth for that holiday? I asked for a nice mixed marinated vegetable salad (broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, celery, olives) couple of years ago and people thought that I had just landed from Mars. What about some roasted beets or carrots?

we do a roasted Brussels sprout,sun choke,cauliflower ,rutabegga, dish that is just awesome. My favorite thing is the gravy...my brother in law makes the turkey and gravy...and he is always spot on! We could set crackers with that gravy and I would be happy.

we do a roasted Brussels sprout,sun choke,cauliflower ,rutabegga, dish that is just awesome. My favorite thing is the gravy...my brother in law makes the turkey and gravy...and he is always spot on! We could set crackers with that gravy and I would be happy.

I consider myself a gravy expert. My mother taught me long ago that some burnt droppings in the roasting pan is the secret to good gravy. They add a deeper color and flavor to it.

Less chewing means you can get more food in before everything gets cold.

b/c the softer sides go better on a turkey sandwhich the days after thanksgiving for leftovers...

Then later you can protest at OTT. Occupy the Toilet. :D

little OT here, but was watching the local news in Richmond this AM, and the reader says "Now to the Occupy Richmond protest. Well two of the protesters are now Occupying a Jail Cell after not following police orders" and started cracking himself up. really was funny!

My mom made the best mashed potatoes. And we had a family tradtion that she'd let me lick the beaters when she was done mixing the potatoes. But I could never get her to turn the damn things off first. :angry:

Using an electric mixer to mash potatoes? Blasphemy!

My Mother and my Mother in law has always

used them. They are in their late 80's!!

I spent a lot of money to attend the best Culinary school in the country. Worked with some of the best Chefs in the world. Had some pretty damn good reviews and followers of my own but I still make my mashed potatoes with a hand held electric mixer at home and damn those are some tasty potatoes.

Yup, best mashed potatoes I've had or made.

My Mother and my Mother in law has always

used them. They are in their late 80's!!

I spent a lot of money to attend the best Culinary school in the country. Worked with some of the best Chefs in the world. Had some pretty damn good reviews and followers of my own but I still make my mashed potatoes with a hand held electric mixer at home and damn those are some tasty potatoes.

I'm kind of teasing. I hand-mash mine, but mostly because I like my potatoes to have a few little chunks in them. I can still work in all the ingredients, it just takes some elbow grease :D

I'm kind of teasing. I hand-mash mine, but mostly because I like my potatoes to have a few little chunks in them. I can still work in all the ingredients, it just takes some elbow grease :D

See I hate lumps in mine. In the professional kitchen we run them through a ricer first and then mix them.

Oh and speaking of elbow grease. Many years ago we went camping. It was my turn to make breakfast and I had all sorts of stuffed caked on the pans. So of course I was left to clean them while my friends went fishing. I asked how was I going to clean all that mess. One of them said "use some elbow grease!" I looked all over that damn cabin and could not locate any elbow grease. :wallbash: