Mort reports tremendous progress for Fitz contract

FluffHead

FFitz has shown consistent improvement in each of the years he's been here in buffalo. Not coincidentally, the improvement has been hand-in-hand with a)more playing time, and b)a new coach that can call a game to the strengths of our players. Anyone without an agenda would say that Fitz's play has been steadily improving, and he's one of the better QBs in the NFL.

Since he became starter last season, in 19 games, Fitz has tossed 35 TDs, almost 4500 yards, and completed 60.5% of his passes. You don't award contracts based on a handful of good or bad games. You award them based on consistency over a time pperiod. And Fitz has shown how good he is over a 19 game span since he's been the starter.

I agree he has steadily improved. But the point was made that Fitz "had earned his money--pay him". His second half of the season numbers lat year were not good and he has played 6 games at consistently at a higher lever--all this season. What if he finishes this year like last year?

The Bill sshould be able to match/beat any offer he would get on the market. If he plays at a high level all year and he doesn't want to deal--franchise him.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you at least agree with me that the TE position has been a position that has been ignored for too long and that even though Scott Chandler is serviceable, we could use a stud there to create some mismatches in the middle of the field, which would play to Fitz's strength?

I think the injuries that we have had on offense shows how we lack depth on that side of the ball. We definitely have more depth on D. I wish the same could be said for the O. O-Line and WR have been depleted and there are guys on the WR corp who I'm not sure will be back next year. Guys like Parrish, Easley, and (God forbid) Stevie Johnson. We will have to address this position in the offseason regardless.

I try really hard to put away my own thinking on this and listen to people that talk like this but I just cant....

If the DEFENSE was playing as well as the OFFENSE has this season.....we would be undefeated....its that fricken simple......

Our offense is fine....its BETTER then fine its actually pretty good....our defense cannot force punts and cannot get off the field unless it causes a turnover and it cant STOP OTHERS FROM SCORING

Its the defense for cryin out loud.....

He has? What's the bar here? I like Fitz and he should stay a Buffalo Bill, but here is his career as a Bill:

12-15, 44TDs/31 ints, 5900 yards, 59%.

He's earned 12 million a year? If we all agree "it's not my money", then why have this discussion? Ralph has plenty of money/room to sign everyone for whatever they want.

WEO I didnt say pay him 12 million.....but he deserves a contract with a pay raise no?

I still think the Bills should have waited another 4 weeks before making a big commitment

Exactly!

This strategy always works well for Buffalo teams. It was proven to be a sound strategy when the Sabre's used this idea when negotiating with Drury and Briere.

Get Fitz and Stevie signed ASAP, then extend Fred with a little bonus money to show appreciation to an excellent running back!

Please dont't F@$& this up OBD!

WEO I didnt say pay him 12 million.....but he deserves a contract with a pay raise no?

No you didn't but that doesn't matter because that's the kind of money being discussed and I'm sure that's the range that Fitz and his people are looking for.

He desreves a raise--but he doesn't need it today. He has yet, in 7 seasons, played (and played well) for a full season. He's playing his best football right now but has only played it for 5 games this year. Why not wait til the end of the season? It may cost a bit more, but who cares?

Got to agree with WEO.

Show me a full consecutive season of playing at his current level, then i say give him 12mil a year.

I dont think any other teams would come steal him from you. Giving a guy a huge raise after 6 games into a season seems a little steep.

Rather tell him, 'keep this up, and you will get paid'.

Fitz and his agent know he puts up numbers for the rest of the seaosn like he has now, there will be a few teams willing to pay him $12mil a season. And the team with the first shot is Buffalo. He seems like a loyal guy, who would give Buffalo every opportuinity to show him the money first.

No you didn't but that doesn't matter because that's the kind of money being discussed and I'm sure that's the range that Fitz and his people are looking for.

He desreves a raise--but he doesn't need it today. He has yet, in 7 seasons, played (and played well) for a full season. He's playing his best football right now but has only played it for 5 games this year. Why not wait til the end of the season? It may cost a bit more, but who cares?

I understand what you are saying WEO....its a risk.

But a risk worth taking.....we need to keep Fitz contract as light as possible because we still have Stevie to worry about and a pro bowl running back to be extended......

I've seen a few posts in this thread that seem to deny that Fitz doesn't/wouldn't have perceived value around the rest of the league. I doubt that's true whether or not he continues playing at a high level. This is a QB driven league afterall. I think it's funny that those saying Fitz wouldn't be taken by another team seem to be saying that we should wait until he proves himself the rest of the year. Well, if he DOES prove himself the rest of the year, wouldn't his value to other teams then go up as well? Can't have it both ways.

Get Fitz locked up ASAP.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly!

This strategy always works well for Buffalo teams. It was proven to be a sound strategy when the Sabre's used this idea when negotiating with Drury and Briere.

Get Fitz and Stevie signed ASAP, then extend Fred with a little bonus money to show appreciation to an excellent running back!

Please dont't F@$& this up OBD!

In a follow up I said that Fred and Stevie should be addressed before Fitz. Fitz's been solid, but I'm getting tired of this 2 INT per game games. It's a trend even from last season.

Yes Fitz is also up at the end of the year ... but we have not seen enough TIME of him as a starter to make an accurate assesment

I understand what you are saying WEO....its a risk.

But a risk worth taking.....we need to keep Fitz contract as light as possible because we still have Stevie to worry about and a pro bowl running back to be extended......

The bigger risk is him being exposed as an UFA. I think Buddy and Co. know this. There is a premium on starting QBs and Fitz is gonna get paid no matter what. We need to make sure it's us that's paying him. We have NOBODY in the pipeline.

GO BILLS!!!

The bigger risk is him being exposed as an UFA. I think Buddy and Co. know this. There is a premium on starting QBs and Fitz is gonna get paid no matter what. We need to make sure it's us that's paying him. We have NOBODY in the pipeline.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. QBs get crazy contracts. Here is a prime example:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2951390

They need to lock up Fitz for a few years.

Can you at least agree with me that the TE position has been a position that has been ignored for too long and that even though Scott Chandler is serviceable, we could use a stud there to create some mismatches in the middle of the field, which would play to Fitz's strength?

I think the injuries that we have had on offense shows how we lack depth on that side of the ball. We definitely have more depth on D. I wish the same could be said for the O. O-Line and WR have been depleted and there are guys on the WR corp who I'm not sure will be back next year. Guys like Parrish, Easley, and (God forbid) Stevie Johnson. We will have to address this position in the offseason regardless.

I agree that TE should be a target position in the offseason. Upgrading the pass-rush is priority #1, but I think a quality TE should be a focus. Using a great TE and Nelson in the slot would give Fitz two perfect targets in the middle of the field, for 5-10 yard passes.

I agree he has steadily improved. But the point was made that Fitz "had earned his money--pay him". His second half of the season numbers lat year were not good and he has played 6 games at consistently at a higher lever--all this season. What if he finishes this year like last year?

The Bill sshould be able to match/beat any offer he would get on the market. If he plays at a high level all year and he doesn't want to deal--franchise him.

How well with that play with the rest of the team? So many here criticize the FO for the way they deal with their players. Now they are trying to do things right. Fitz is liked and respected by everyone and you want the Bills to jerk him around? This team is finally turning it around and building something good and this is how you want to handle this?

Edited by nucci

What would change between then and now besides Fitz being 4 weeks closer to free agency and perhaps deciding to wait & see would he could get on the open market?

Fitz did not have a good game against the Giants. The Eagles and Bengals games weren't all that great. The Chiefs, Raiders and Patriots games were pretty darn good. Which is the real Fitz? I can understand the feeling that they should wait a few more weeks to see how things unfold. Disclaimer: I personally think Fitz is a better than average QB and should be paid accordingly.

What do you care? It's not your money. Around $10 million is more then fair for both sides. It seems like alot of money but that is the price of doing business in the NFL right now.

Apparently you missed that my entire post was about percentage of cap, not raw dollars. I don't think he's a 10% player, which 12m makes him. I'm ok with it though as I don't think the extra percentage points will cost us other players.

Fitz did not have a good game against the Giants. The Eagles and Bengals games weren't all that great. The Chiefs, Raiders and Patriots games were pretty darn good. Which is the real Fitz? I can understand the feeling that they should wait a few more weeks to see how things unfold. Disclaimer: I personally think Fitz is a better than average QB and should be paid accordingly.

All in all, I still put him right in the middle of the pack. I'd not expect a big dip based on his work ethic, or a big jump based on his limitations. I just wish we were talking 7-10 instead of 9-12 as the range, and a little shorter term.