Mort reports tremendous progress for Fitz contract

FluffHead

. He could throw 3 picks a game and we lose 3 games in a row. 9-12 mill is a LOT of money per year. If we're gonna pay him that much, I don't see why we don't wait. I can't see demanding more than 12 mill a year on the market. He's an effective player in chans offense, with one of the leagues best running backs ( still can't believe people were telling me Travis Henry was better.). He may be a decent qb elsewhere, but this offense is key in his success. All I'm saying is, 9-12 mill a year is a lot of dough, a couple more weeks of great play will earn him that payday.

getting the deal done now allows the Bills to apply money to this years cap

it also allows them to concentrate on a new deal for Stevie rather then working on both

his yearly salary really doesnt matter either bc contracts are not guaranteed so really whats the problem with this?

Good to see the Bills are going to finally give Fitz a fair deal, also its a good thing he turned down the earlier offers ...

This year Fred Jackson has shown he is one of the top 5 RB's in the NFL, he should be the next to get a pay raise.

WRONG!

Jackson has two years left on his deal and Johnson is in the last year of his deal so obviously Johnson is next in line

Edited by Max997

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look Ryan Fitz has earned his money......pay the man for christ sake

He has? What's the bar here? I like Fitz and he should stay a Buffalo Bill, but here is his career as a Bill:

12-15, 44TDs/31 ints, 5900 yards, 59%.

He's earned 12 million a year? If we all agree "it's not my money", then why have this discussion? Ralph has plenty of money/room to sign everyone for whatever they want.

So lets say he throws 3 picks a game and we manage to win 2 out of 3 by the defense alone. What does that give him? Do you have some sort of formula for that?

x=wins y=interceptions

7 million + (x - y) = salary offered per year?

Not for that one. Here's my formula: 3games- 9 picks, losses = not 10+ mill a year for 5-6 years? Make sense?

So 19 good games as a starter isn't enough to determine how much to pay him, but 22 will be? I don't understand what watching 3 more weeks will tell you.

19 "good" games? What designates a game as "good" iyo?

There are only a handful of QB's playing better then Fitz is.

Median QB's are worth $7 - $12 mil a season... Fitz is easily a top median QB

do people saying it's too much really want to gamble on a cheaper option, because you're not going to find a better option in FA next year, and a any drafted QB will come with some growing pains

The thing that bothered my most about these reports (I saw it in the Jason LaConfora article) is that "the Bills are closed for business during the bye week so negotiations will continue next Monday). That seems ridiculous to me. The players can have the time off, the front office doesn't need it.

I think signing Fitz to an extension is very low risk. Fitz is what he is. He is a solid QB. He'd probably in the top 12-15 QBs. He's much better than anyone we've had since Kelly. He's not perfect but he is serviceable. Build a dominant O-line for him and we are good for 5-6 years.

If the deal if for 4 years or less, I would be happy. I would be more happy with a 3 year deal to tell you the truth.

Is Fitz a system QB and a product of what Chan Gailey can do? I think so. What if Gailey gets fired or resigns in the next 2 years. Would Fitz be just as good in a new coach's system as he would be in Gailey's system?

He has? What's the bar here? I like Fitz and he should stay a Buffalo Bill, but here is his career as a Bill:

12-15, 44TDs/31 ints, 5900 yards, 59%.

He's earned 12 million a year? If we all agree "it's not my money", then why have this discussion? Ralph has plenty of money/room to sign everyone for whatever they want.

Not for that one. Here's my formula: 3games- 9 picks, losses = not 10+ mill a year for 5-6 years? Make sense?

19 "good" games? What designates a game as "good" iyo?

FFitz has shown consistent improvement in each of the years he's been here in buffalo. Not coincidentally, the improvement has been hand-in-hand with a)more playing time, and b)a new coach that can call a game to the strengths of our players. Anyone without an agenda would say that Fitz's play has been steadily improving, and he's one of the better QBs in the NFL.

Since he became starter last season, in 19 games, Fitz has tossed 35 TDs, almost 4500 yards, and completed 60.5% of his passes. You don't award contracts based on a handful of good or bad games. You award them based on consistency over a time pperiod. And Fitz has shown how good he is over a 19 game span since he's been the starter.

FFitz has shown consistent improvement in each of the years he's been here in buffalo. Not coincidentally, the improvement has been hand-in-hand with a)more playing time, and b)a new coach that can call a game to the strengths of our players. Anyone without an agenda would say that Fitz's play has been steadily improving, and he's one of the better QBs in the NFL.

Since he became starter last season, in 19 games, Fitz has tossed 35 TDs, almost 4500 yards, and completed 60.5% of his passes. You don't award contracts based on a handful of good or bad games. You award them based on consistency over a time pperiod. And Fitz has shown how good he is over a 19 game span since he's been the starter.

Well said ramius. I should state, I wouldn't be unhappy if we signed him today for a big contract. I would definitely be happy. I love the guys heart, leadership and knowledge of the game. I don't see why waiting a month would be such a big deal. His price tag isn't going to go up from 9-12 a year, meanwhile he will still be "playing for a contract". Day what you like, there's a bunch of athletes that have regressed the second they get paid. I want to win this year. It's unlikely, but it's possible. If fitz playing with an "edge" trying to get a contract can win us an additional 3 games, that could be the difference in the playoffs or sitting a home. We have some bigtime injuries right now, we need every advantage we can get. Guys hungry to get paid have been known to play at a higher level. To summarize: I want to resign Fitzy, but I don't see why it has to be done right now. It'll get done.

People who don't like this deal want Andrew Luck. It's obvious. Luck will probably be going 1st overall if Carolina or Jaguars don't have the first pick. Luck will then go 2nd. The Bills will not be picking in either of those spots. To trade up you would have to give half of 2012 and part of the 2013 draft to get him. The Bills have needs in other areas. Pass rusher, Safety, WR to name a few.

What would change between then and now besides Fitz being 4 weeks closer to free agency and perhaps deciding to wait & see would he could get on the open market?

CONSISTENCY. The Bills don't need to jump to ANY bargain for a while. Haste makes waste.

The quicker issue is to secure Freddy and Stevie before committing to a 3 year QB at best in Buffalo.

I hope if they resign Fitz, they go our of their way to get him some weapons. I mean, I love Stevie and Freddie, but how about some more help at the WR and specifically, drafing/signing a TE that is a prototypical TE that can stretch the field.

We have focused on the defensive side of the ball over the last couple of drafts. I think it would be ideal if we can work on the offensive side of the ball now and really build an offense that Gailey can take to the next level.

I hope if they resign Fitz, they go our of their way to get him some weapons. I mean, I love Stevie and Freddie, but how about some more help at the WR and specifically, drafing/signing a TE that is a prototypical TE that can stretch the field.

We have focused on the defensive side of the ball over the last couple of drafts. I think it would be ideal if we can work on the offensive side of the ball now and really build an offense that Gailey can take to the next level.

Wrong. The offense is fine the way it is. Next draft should be all about the defense again. Get a couple more playmakers & a little better defense & now you really got something.

Wrong. The offense is fine the way it is. Next draft should be all about the defense again. Get a couple more playmakers & a little better defense & now you really got something.

Can you at least agree with me that the TE position has been a position that has been ignored for too long and that even though Scott Chandler is serviceable, we could use a stud there to create some mismatches in the middle of the field, which would play to Fitz's strength?

I think the injuries that we have had on offense shows how we lack depth on that side of the ball. We definitely have more depth on D. I wish the same could be said for the O. O-Line and WR have been depleted and there are guys on the WR corp who I'm not sure will be back next year. Guys like Parrish, Easley, and (God forbid) Stevie Johnson. We will have to address this position in the offseason regardless.

Good news, let's hope this gets done soon and they get moving forward on Stevie and Fred. Unless the FO makes a commitment to some or all of these guys team chemistry will take a big hit.

Sadly I think at least one of the three will be odd man out... Freddie Jackson, from an investment standpoint holds the biggest risk of no deal. Age, position, and the other pricey RB in there provide a concerning outlook in my view. I hate it because he's playing out of his mind this year. I surely hope to be wrong.