Kamar Aiken > Ruvell Martin

Armchair GM

I've seen enough of Martin (was targeted on Fitzy's int Sunday & fell down). sure he makes a play here and there on ST, but I'm willing to bet there would be little fall off with Aiken. Martin has bounced around and hasn't stuck anywhere & Aiken is a young (UDFA siging) sitting on our practice squad? The kid's about 6'1" and around 215....pretty good size! He ran a 4.45 @ UCF's proday and in the preseason performed really well...something like 5 catches for 100 yds, and I think all of those cathes were for 1st downs...He looked to run crisp routes and was able to get good seperation...I'm not sure what the eligibility rules are with retaining the ability to PS him next year IF we activate him for a couple games while Nelson heals up...Anyone?

I think Aiken should be brought up, but not at Martin's expense. Wheatley should be demoted to make room. We have 6 healthy CBs.

Fine with me...whatever will give this kid an opportunity.

Kick returners don't tackle themselves. You better pay attention to special teams even if they don't make the highlight reels.

PTR

oh, that's right! OK, thanks!

I went to training camp 2 times just because like a lot of people in here were more then the causal fans and like to know every piece of the team. 88 was consistently making plays no matter who they threw at him. He actually reminds me a lot of victor cruz, I think he definitely needs some polishing but he has big time potential and he's the type of guy to go up and get the deep balls something we need especially with jones gone. Im not saying he's going to come in and put this team over the top, but he is someone i can see becoming a household name or at least a rock solid player in a couple years.

I've seen enough of Martin (was targeted on Fitzy's int Sunday & fell down). sure he makes a play here and there on ST, but I'm willing to bet there would be little fall off with Aiken. Martin has bounced around and hasn't stuck anywhere & Aiken is a young (UDFA siging) sitting on our practice squad? The kid's about 6'1" and around 215....pretty good size! He ran a 4.45 @ UCF's proday and in the preseason performed really well...something like 5 catches for 100 yds, and I think all of those cathes were for 1st downs...He looked to run crisp routes and was able to get good seperation...I'm not sure what the eligibility rules are with retaining the ability to PS him next year IF we activate him for a couple games while Nelson heals up...Anyone?

I am a big fan of Aiken. He has the look of a prototypical #1 receiver. I agree that he should be playing ahead of Martin and that Martin should be cut. I also thought Aiken should have been called up before Roosevelt. It should be noted that these comments are coming from someone who thought Brohm should be playing ahead of Fitz because he looked more like a #1.

Kick returners don't tackle themselves. You better pay attention to special teams even if they don't make the highlight reels.

PTR

No doubt Promo, but 15 snaps on offense > 1 or 2 Kickoffs that aren't touchbacks.

PTR

Kickoffs are practically a formality. I think the old way of keeping a guy because of his special teams skills has lost a lot of importance. I realize there are still punts, but the amount gained by having a better "regular" player seems to now outweigh the special teamer. Unless we are talking about a guy that can block kicks or something.

I think that we should not trust the guy who has turned a bunch of no name receivers into budding stars to make the right decision.

Agreed to a point, but this ain't "Waterboy," these kids had some serious, undiscovered talent and were given a shot...which speaks to my original point perfectly. I billieve Aiken will turn into a GREAT WR, based on what I've seen of him, the kid looked like a vet out there. Take it with a grain of salt regarding the level of talent he was playing against, but to your point, I'll give Gailey the benefit of the doubt on ALL decisions, maybe this kids a year away, but all he needs is his "shot."

Edited by Armchair GM