Is this normal???

DUFF

I'm not trying to start another thread about how bad the refs suck, but the refs suck bad-haha just kidding.

My real question/comment is...

~ ive noticed during the past few games alot of "no calls" on holding. Eventually when the refs start calling it, our defenders are much closer to sacking the qb. Also I noticed two illegal blocks/tackles from behind on that Desean Jackson screen pass td.

Is it normal to be "held" as frequently as i am seeing? are we getting "hosed" on calls from the refs? or is it a mutual "non call" on both sides?

i'm assuming it is a league-wide thing in order to create offensive numbers and overall excitement towards the game. the gaudy offensive stats for quarterbacks and recievers would seem to support this. the blatent holding/tackling penalties don't seem to be called but all of the hands to the face penalties seem to be called still. even the announcers are getting in on the "that shoulda been a holding call" action. another thing...how was vick not in the grasp of dareus?!?!?

Holding happens a lot, and you'll get different views about how often and if what the Bills are seeing is normal. I haven't been able to see the Cinci game yet, but I heard it was crazy. It was ridiculous today. I noticed 3 obvious holds on one play...no call. I saw a few blocks in the back very close to the plays...no call. There were shirts stretching, arms being pulled, and players being spun around and the refs didn't seem to notice. The refs were really bad.

Holding happens a lot, and you'll get different views about how often and if what the Bills are seeing is normal. I haven't been able to see the Cinci game yet, but I heard it was crazy. It was ridiculous today. I noticed 3 obvious holds on one play...no call. I saw a few blocks in the back very close to the plays...no call. There were shirts stretching, arms being pulled, and players being spun around and the refs didn't seem to notice. The refs were really bad.

If you thought today was ridiculous, dont watch the Cinci game. Your head will explode.

What I noticed on the Iggles FG drive was an Iggles lineman had a full grip on a Bill's jersey... stretching and all, but not penalty even though it was a big play. But the very next 2 plays had holding calls. Almost as if the officials realized it was getting out of hand (so to speak). Then, just to be sure, they called a hold on the Bills' first play of the subsequent series.

Holding calls stunt offensive production, and the league wants there to be more scoring.

I'm guessing that the refs were told to let it go unless it directly prevents a guaranteed sack.

And I believe more parity too.

Thanks TBD-ers for the feedback:

glad to know i'm not losing my mind...and i also never thought of it as the league trying to increase scoring. hmmmm....

i guess that explains why ive been seeing qbs putting up #'s like 420 yds passing in a game. (last year 300yds passing a game was a landmark!)

Arena football is high-scoring....and we know how successful that is. :thumbdown:

hope they don't F--- this up. "if it's not broke, don't fix it"

I'm biased for sure, but i haven't noticed our o-line holding on the regular...are they????

The holding was the worst I have ever seen in a game ever today. It was blatant. As the prev poster says on the big play that the Eagles had in the 4th quarter on the FG drive. One of the Bills was held up around the collar from behind, right in front of the ref. It was riculously obvious, and no call!. I saw at least 3 other blatant Eagles holds not called.

I was at the game. Can anyone tell me why the onside kick to open the 2nd half needed to be done over? Did they explain it on tv?

The ball was never set to play. The ref in the end zone with the return guys who put their hand up signaling the go-ahead never did. The Eagles just got all horny pony and went early.

Holding calls stunt offensive production, and the league wants there to be more scoring.

I'm guessing that the refs were told to let it go unless it directly prevents a guaranteed sack.

How could you say "unles it directly prevents a guaranteed sack" when your playing a QB in the likes of Vick. If our guys weren't getting held you never know what would have happened.

I was at the game. Can anyone tell me why the onside kick to open the 2nd half needed to be done over? Did they explain it on tv?

Yes because they kicked the ball before the ref blew the whistle signaling that the ball was in play.

How could you say "unles it directly prevents a guaranteed sack" when your playing a QB in the likes of Vick. If our guys weren't getting held you never know what would have happened.

I mean a defender running free towards the QB being grabbed from behind. Or something similar. Being five yards away and having your jersey tugged isn't going to result in a penalty this year apparently.

What I noticed on the Iggles FG drive was an Iggles lineman had a full grip on a Bill's jersey... stretching and all, but not penalty even though it was a big play. But the very next 2 plays had holding calls. Almost as if the officials realized it was getting out of hand (so to speak). Then, just to be sure, they called a hold on the Bills' first play of the subsequent series.

I think that is a very accurate observation :thumbsup:

Anyone else notice that our defenders (byrd? and someone else?-Wilson? :oops: ) mysteriously fell over (almost as if they were tackled or pushed from behind)when De'sean Jackson scored that TD on a screen pass.

High scoring games are cool, but don't cheat refs!!!!!!!!!

Why arent the coaches more vocal with the refs.

The part I have a hard time with is I've seen about a dozen plays this year (namely the Oakland hail marry) where holding on Merriman was much more blatant than the one they finally called today. It just seems so random and arbitrary that you have to wonder what they are looking at.

And the spot on 1st drive - OMG - did anyone in the world even need replay for that? It was so obvious watching it live that he was a yard short.

The second running off at the end of the half is really very standard. That's never reviewed on replay unless you're Texas. Shame on Vick for being so casual.

I'm biased for sure, but i haven't noticed our o-line holding on the regular...are they????

I definitely noticed our o-line got away with a few no-calls on clear holding, but it sure felt like our d-line was getting molested every single play.

But then again its hard to be objective when your rooting for one team.

To hell with the holding non-calls, that's been an issue forever. What I couldn't believe was how poorly the on-field calls were that ended up being reversed.

In the first quarter the placement of the ball on an Eagles completion was a joke. I know ball placement is never an exact science, but the line judge couldn't have had a better view of the play and he was way off.

Even worse was the Vick fumble call in the second half. The replay showed a camera angled that was directly over the field official's shoulder. Vick had all but one limb on the ground when the ball squeaked out. Everybody in the stadium probably knew it.

I'm not trying to start another thread about how bad the refs suck, but the refs suck bad-haha just kidding.

My real question/comment is...

~ ive noticed during the past few games alot of "no calls" on holding. Eventually when the refs start calling it, our defenders are much closer to sacking the qb. Also I noticed two illegal blocks/tackles from behind on that Desean Jackson screen pass td.

Is it normal to be "held" as frequently as i am seeing? are we getting "hosed" on calls from the refs? or is it a mutual "non call" on both sides?

The officials have been horrible this year...and not just in the Bills games. I've noticed blatant holds that are going uncalled in a lot of games. And while I understand that you can probably make an argument for holding on almost any play, when a player is in a choke hold (like Merriman was at the end of the Oakland game) and the ref is standing there it has to be flagged. It's ridiculous and beyond aggravating that these calls aren't being made...league wide.

I seriously have never seen a more poorly officiated game in all my life. And this isn't Bills bias talking. For example:

1) The Vick "fumble" call, which was overruled on replay. Vick had both knees, an elbow, and then his entire body down before the ball came loose.

2) The Vick throw at the end of the first half. There was arguably one second left. No review? Coleman called it a half and hightailed it out of there. Would have been ticked if I were an Eagles' fan.

3) Barnett's pick 6. Sorry, guys, we got lucky-- the Eagles WR committed an obvious false start (Bills defender even yelled and pointed). It wasn't called thankfully--and play resulted in the pick 6.

4) The Gailey challenge on the spot in the first quarter--again, an obviously bad call that had to be remedied on instant replay.

5) The staggering amount of holding and block in the back calls on both teams that weren't called. A lot of the Eagles WR screens were a result of holds and illegal blocks. Merriman was probably held every single play out there. Then suddenly it was like the refs figured out they were blowing it and called a bunch of holds near the end of the game (2 crucial ones that killed an Eagles TD)????

This was a terribly called game.

Anyone else notice that our defenders (byrd? and someone else?-Wilson? :oops: ) mysteriously fell over (almost as if they were tackled or pushed from behind)when De'sean Jackson scored that TD on a screen pass.

High scoring games are cool, but don't cheat refs!!!!!!!!!

Why arent the coaches more vocal with the refs.

The replay of De'sean Jackson's screen pass TD is on every highlight package I've seen; and so are 2 to 4 blocks in the back by the Eagles within 2 steps of the ball carrier. He *may* have been tackled behind the line and never scored if not for the illegal blocks. Maybe not - D Jackson's pretty elusive...

Hey - the Bills won and perhaps benefited from the spotty officiating as well, but it is frustrating none the less. Make the legitimate calls both ways and may the better team win.