ESPN Pulls Hank Williams Jr from tonights MNF

/dev/null

:thumbsup: Couldn't agree more. NBC is so far left they can't even reach Hawaii.

Funny how liberals always have to resort to name calling like "teabaggers" and "fascist news" when describing people with points of view that they disagree with. Then they talk about how they believe in diversity and tolerance. What a bunch of hypocrites.

It was a joke you retard. He was joking. The Dixie Chicks were not. And I spent 23 years of my life defending Americans right to free speech. I believe the Dixie Chicks have a right to say what they did. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with it or like it.

You sound like someone worth arguing with.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so therefore, yes, i believe he compared obama to hitler. although he will probably try to wiggle out of that one. (and i am not an obama supporter)

Well...Obama did promote the $800B stimulous package of which a large part was for infrastructure refurbishment.

And Hitler funded the autobahn system.

So the comparison isn't completely incorrect.

It was a joke you retard. He was joking. The Dixie Chicks were not. And I spent 23 years of my life defending Americans right to free speech. I believe the Dixie Chicks have a right to say what they did. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with it or like it.

He was not joking, as evident by the second interview standing by his remarks, which cements his utter stupidity. I'm still defending Americans right to free speech after 14 years, but comparing the Commander in Chief to Adolf Hitler is a slap in the face to the memory of the men who died fighting that evil maniac.

Edited by BmoreBills

Go to espn.com right now, read the article (it's right there on the main page), then come back on here and tell me it was overblown. He stood firmly behind his comments, brother. I would be shocked if that song is ever part of the telecast again.

Agreed 100%. Saying you're ashamed to be from Texas is way worse than comparing your president to Adolf Hitler.

No one should compare a president, or a janitor, or a country singer, to Hitler.

But nonetheless it happened all the time when Bush was president. No one got all excited about it back then--and it happened constantly. Just a little relevance.

I agree, Metzelaars. He sounds like a redneck. He won't be back. No place for that nonsense in the NFL. I stand by the fact, though, that it was an analogy--a big, big difference between a comparison. It's a stupid analogy. But the moral outrage is overblown, especially when pop culture uses the Hitler moniker so casually.

He was not joking, as evident by the second interview standing by his remarks, which cements his utter stupidity. I'm still defending Americans right to free speech after 14 years, but comparing the Commander in Chief to Adolf Hitler is a slap in the face to the memory of the men who died fighting that evil maniac.

Thank you for your service, but if you watch the interview, he was definitely trying to make a joke. Nobody ever said Hank Williams Jr. was a rocket scientist. He was saying that he didn't understand how two people with such diametrically opposing views could solve anything by playing golf together. It was an analogy. He was describing how different they were. I don't believe for one minute that Hank Williams Jr. did anything to besmirch the memory of veterans. He was trying to be funny.

You sound like someone worth arguing with.

I'm glad that you noticed. I did that on purpose. It's called sarcasm.

I like his Monday Night theme song a lot. It gives a zest to the game it otherwise wouldn't have.

The decision to punish him for his remarks is part of a larger trend. Those who express non-mainstream viewpoints are often punished. This is pressure towards conformism, pure and simple.

The more conformist a society becomes, the less able it will typically be to identify and correct its own errors. Then again, maybe everything is already so virtuous and wonderful already that there aren't any major errors left to be corrected. <_<

But, on the off chance that there are major errors to be corrected, then "you aren't allowed to say anything non-maistream" would be a much bigger problem than some random singer drawing an inaccurate comparison between two political figures.

Yeah, I hope it's temporary. Yeah it's kinda scary really, but I think he def crossed a line, but I do believe in Free Speech. There is a line, it's very easy to cross. I just hope HWJr isn't permanantly removed. If that happens, then that's something to be outraged about.

Thank you for your service, but if you watch the interview, he was definitely trying to make a joke. Nobody ever said Hank Williams Jr. was a rocket scientist. He was saying that he didn't understand how two people with such diametrically opposing views could solve anything by playing golf together. It was an analogy. He was describing how different they were. I don't believe for one minute that Hank Williams Jr. did anything to besmirch the memory of veterans. He was trying to be funny.

I'm glad that you noticed. I did that on purpose. It's called sarcasm.

Thank you for your service, but American citizens shouldn't be comparing the CINC to Hitler in ANY sense; it is offensive, and I don't care who it is. I endured 8 years of the Bush presidency and did what I always do, which is stick to the business at hand and endure. Now, after 3 years, those who do not think much of our CINC should be able to do the same because he's still the leader of the free world no matter what.

Yeah, I hope it's temporary. Yeah it's kinda scary really, but I think he def crossed a line, but I do believe in Free Speech. There is a line, it's very easy to cross. I just hope HWJr isn't permanantly removed. If that happens, then that's something to be outraged about.

If you believe in freedom of speech, why would you be outraged over ABC/ESPN exercising it?

Although i do not agree with his remark, I think Hank Williams Jr. kicks ass. That MNF theme has been an anthem for football most my life. Screw Faith Hill! Sunday night game song???? First of all the song sucks and I feel they are reaching for straws to have a Sunday night theme song. Keep it just on Monday nights. Noone cares about her or that song. How about we have Lady Gaga do a Sunday afternoon kickoff song. Hell why dont we have a them song for every game??? The whole idea is horrible. I mute that btch everytime I hear it.

In fairness they shouldn't play the Sunday Night song, but in good taste they should burn the master recording and bury it in a corn field

As stated at deadspin...HWJ "exists solely to remind us that genius skips a generation".

Why on earth do they need to pay this liquored up cornpone every week to sing that song? It's the same song for 20 years--just roll the tape and toss him his residual that he can prompty drink down.

The Dixie Chicks, whom I like (though their side project Courtyard Hounds is exceptionally pedestrian), can say what they want, and people can react in kind.

Hank Williams Jr., who's father was one of the greatest recording artists this nation has ever produced, can also say what he wants, and people can react in kind.

the difference is, The Dixie Chicks didn't have a contract with ABC/ESPN/Disney to provide a theme song for one of their most popular sports vehicles. Hank Williams Jr. did and is now paying the price for it.

it's still a free country. and business is business.

jw

The Dixie Chicks, whom I like (though their side project Courtyard Hounds is exceptionally pedestrian), can say what they want, and people can react in kind.

Hank Williams Jr., who's father was one of the greatest recording artists this nation has ever produced, can also say what he wants, and people can react in kind.

the difference is, The Dixie Chicks didn't have a contract with ABC/ESPN/Disney to provide a theme song for one of their most popular sports vehicles. Hank Williams Jr. did and is now paying the price for it.

it's still a free country. and business is business.

jw

Well said, John!

i am not a big country music fan in the least, but there is a great percentage of those that are, (and those that make the music) who lean toward the right. the late liberal ABC commentator, peter jennings, threatened not to host a july 4th capitol show because toby keith was on the bill. apparently jennings didnt agree with keith's song about " putting a boot in their a$$", in reference to muslim extremists. the point is, because the media leans left, controlled by a bunch of old 60's hippies, that is what you get. the double standard is obvious. after jimmy hoffa jr told a bunch of union supporters to "take out the bastards"(referring, i am assuming to the tea partyers)i wonder if ESPN will cease taking advertising revenue from GM because of that inflammatory rhetoric?

i am not a big country music fan in the least, but there is a great percentage of those that are, (and those that make the music) who lean toward the right. the late liberal ABC commentator, peter jennings, threatened not to host a july 4th capitol show because toby keith was on the bill. apparently jennings didnt agree with keith's song about " putting a boot in their a$$", in reference to muslim extremists. the point is, because the media leans left, controlled by a bunch of old 60's hippies, that is what you get. the double standard is obvious. after jimmy hoffa jr told a bunch of union supporters to "take out the bastards"(referring, i am assuming to the tea partyers)i wonder if ESPN will cease taking advertising revenue from GM because of that inflammatory rhetoric?

What double standard? I missed ABC/ESPN employees that are 'left' making comments about Hitler or the favoritism towards black quarterbacks.

Thank you for your service, but American citizens shouldn't be comparing the CINC to Hitler in ANY sense; it is offensive, and I don't care who it is. I endured 8 years of the Bush presidency and did what I always do, which is stick to the business at hand and endure. Now, after 3 years, those who do not think much of our CINC should be able to do the same because he's still the leader of the free world no matter what.

Do you know what an analogy is? He wasn't comparing Obama to Hitler. He was saying that Obama and Boehner playing golf together would be analogous to Hitler playing golf with Netanyahu because in each case the two parties have diametrically opposing points of view. By the way, so sorry you had to "endure" 8 years of being led by a man with as much moral courage in his little finger as Obama has in his entire body. He stood firm for what he believes in. So far in 4 years, I still don't know what Obama stands for because he changes his mind every five minutes.

So far in 4 years, I still don't know what Obama stands for because he changes his mind every five minutes.

well, and there's the problem. Hitler stood firmly behind his beliefs. ergo, the analogy fails, on several levels.

1) why bring Hitler into the equation at all?

2) comparing Obama to Hitler in the case you make is not analagous because he is, in your view, the anti-Hitler.

jw