ESPN Pulls Hank Williams Jr from tonights MNF

/dev/null

it is obvious in this country when a liberal makes what could be termed an outlandish statement, it is called "freedom of speech", when a conservative utters the same, it is "hateful", must be immediately addressed. the wussies that run the media outlets in this country are such hypocrites. the transparency is actually hilarious.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone whining about MNF pulling Hank Williams, Jr. is a hypocrite. Remember the outrage from the right about the Dixie Chicks saying they were ashamed to have Bush as President? All the calls for boycotts, the hatred and the death threats. I don't recall a lot of right-wingers standing up for the Dixie Chicks' right to speak their minds then. No whining about a PC nation at that moment.

This

I like his Monday Night theme song a lot. It gives a zest to the game it otherwise wouldn't have. The decision to punish him for his remarks is part of a larger trend. Those who express non-mainstream viewpoints are often punished. This is pressure towards conformism, pure and simple. The more conformist a society becomes, the less able it will typically be to identify and correct its own errors. Then again, maybe everything is already so virtuous and wonderful already that there aren't any major errors left to be corrected. <_< But, on the off chance that there are major errors to be corrected, then "you aren't allowed to say anything non-maistream" would be a much bigger problem than some random singer drawing an inaccurate comparison between two political figures.

Agree with the conforming part

Dixie Chicks make great records...Hank Williams Jr's daddy made some of the best records ever!

Sr. is like a legend, jr is like the kid of a famous person.

my dream foursome is shakespeare, gandhi, netanyahu and jen aniston. i'm just watching.

I think it should be 3 sexy lesbians and me and we don't play golf but do try to get holes in one.

What an idiotic, nonsensical, "PC" move by ESPN. I'm not surprised though, not at all. They (ESPN/ABC), as well as all the other "old school" left-wing, liberal, mainstream broadcast networks worship & love Barry Obama, and they are going to do everything in their power to try and keep that failed, incompetent Empty Suit in the White House for another term.

I think you forgot 'Ba-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Ba-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!'

Props for calling Obama Hitler and shouldn't be pulled for that, after all "freedom" of speech right?

I don't like country so maybe Metalica's Eye of the Beholder

... "You can do it your own way

If it's done just how I say. Independence limited

Freedom of choice is made for you my friend

Freedom of speech is words that they will bend

Freedom with their exception ..."

youtube.com/watch?v=iKRR7IakiVM

This is not a freedom of speech issue. This isnt the "librul" media attacking a poor little country singer. MNF, the same show that had on Rush, decided they didnt want a song from a guy throwing out Hitler comparisons. No one is saying he doesnt have a right to say what he said.

Its a business choice, you know the free market, the right wingers should applaud this.

it is obvious in this country when a liberal makes what could be termed an outlandish statement, it is called "freedom of speech", when a conservative utters the same, it is "hateful", must be immediately addressed. the wussies that run the media outlets in this country are such hypocrites. the transparency is actually hilarious.

Comparing the President to Hitler is ALWAYS a killer, liberal or conservative. If he's stupid enough to say it on national TV, he's going to get the hammer regardless.

I have freedom of speech, but if I compared a company manager to Hitler in public would I still have a job? HECK no...

Kind of funny how liberal celebrity attack dogs (Alec Baldwin, Tina Fey, every late night talk show host, Whoopie, Michael Moore, the list is practically endless) are rewarded for their critcism and this type of thing happens when the dear leader is critcized.

Rule #1 - NEVER use Hitler in an analogy, comparison or reference....it never works and will certainly offend someone.

i just looked at the whole interview....i believe he intentionally used the hitler reference to convey TWO meanings....

first,as an anology, the point that two enemies should never play golf together (obama & boehner or hitler/netanyahu)

secondly, as a comparison, that one is good (netanyahu/boehner) and that one is evil (hitler/obama).

so therefore, yes, i believe he compared obama to hitler. although he will probably try to wiggle out of that one. (and i am not an obama supporter)

as a side note...Williams has said he's interested in running as a Republican in 2012 for a U.S. Senate seat in Tennessee.

Kind of funny how liberal celebrity attack dogs (Alec Baldwin, Tina Fey, every late night talk show host, Whoopie, Michael Moore, the list is practically endless) are rewarded for their critcism and this type of thing happens when the dear leader is critcized.

The conservative attack dogs are always equal to the task of looking like buffoons, and by Fascist News putting Hank on their show like that they now have to spin, spin, spin!!!

I'll bet 2/3 or more of the people who are outraged over Hank Jr.'s Hitler comment think the "Soup Nazi" episode on Seinfeld is hilarious.

That being said, I 100% agree with the notion that bringing Hitler's name into any random conversation -- especially invovling an American president -- is a bad, bad, baaaaad idea. Can't do it.

Yes! It's everyvbody's favorite conservative, Dwight in Philly! Let's all remember when you blamed Obama for NBC airing figure skating over the USA-Canada non-medal hockey game. Look people, I don't care what side of the aisle you're on, who's in the White House, etc. You can't compare the freaking President of the United States to Adolf Hitler and expect to have people take you seriously. The one in 20 posters who are drudging up this freedom of speech stuff- yeah, he said it and it's within his constitutional powers to say it. He said it, he's not in legal trouble. It's also within ESPN's constitutional powers to yank it. Just like if Waylon Jennings compared Reagan to Hitler, they would've yanked his theme song from Dukes of Hazzard you morons.

No one should compare anyone to Hitler, right, left or whatever. Unless, of course, the person they are making the comparison of did, in fact, mastermind mass genocide.

Having said that, Williams Jr. made no such comparison, really. He was making an analogy, albeit a stupid one. Way overblown.

And good point, Kaz, about the Soup Nazi thing.

Everyone whining about MNF pulling Hank Williams, Jr. is a hypocrite. Remember the outrage from the right about the Dixie Chicks saying they were ashamed to have Bush as President? All the calls for boycotts, the hatred and the death threats. I don't recall a lot of right-wingers standing up for the Dixie Chicks' right to speak their minds then. No whining about a PC nation at that moment.

The problem with what the Dixie Chicks did was that they did it overseas for some cheap applause. Bet they would not have been so anxious to do that back in Texas. Noone deserves death threats, but there is a huge difference in what they did and what Hank Williams Jr. did. In America, we have the right to express our opinions and have dialogues about our differences, but to apologize for being American to a foreign audience is quite a different matter.

No one should compare anyone to Hitler, right, left or whatever. Unless, of course, the person they are making the comparison of did, in fact, mastermind mass genocide.

Having said that, Williams Jr. made no such comparison, really. He was making an analogy, albeit a stupid one. Way overblown.

And good point, Kaz, about the Soup Nazi thing.

Go to espn.com right now, read the article (it's right there on the main page), then come back on here and tell me it was overblown. He stood firmly behind his comments, brother. I would be shocked if that song is ever part of the telecast again.

The problem with what the Dixie Chicks did was that they did it overseas for some cheap applause. Bet they would not have been so anxious to do that back in Texas. Noone deserves death threats, but there is a huge difference in what they did and what Hank Williams Jr. did. In America, we have the right to express our opinions and have dialogues about our differences, but to apologize for being American to a foreign audience is quite a different matter.

Agreed 100%. Saying you're ashamed to be from Texas is way worse than comparing your president to Adolf Hitler.

No, actually it is not. Comparing the Commander In Chief of the United States to Hitler and STANDING BY IT after our men died on the beaches of Normandy and beyond in WWII compared to a couple of women apologizing about the ACTIONS of America on foreign soil doesn't even compare. I cannot believe you'd equate the two...!!!

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

:thumbsup: Couldn't agree more. NBC is so far left they can't even reach Hawaii.

The conservative attack dogs are always equal to the task of looking like buffoons, and by Fascist News putting Hank on their show like that they now have to spin, spin, spin!!!

Funny how liberals always have to resort to name calling like "teabaggers" and "fascist news" when describing people with points of view that they disagree with. Then they talk about how they believe in diversity and tolerance. What a bunch of hypocrites.

No, actually it is not. Comparing the Commander In Chief of the United States to Hitler and STANDING BY IT after our men died on the beaches of Normandy and beyond in WWII compared to a couple of women apologizing about the ACTIONS of America on foreign soil doesn't even compare. I cannot believe you'd equate the two...!!!

It was a joke you retard. He was joking. The Dixie Chicks were not. And I spent 23 years of my life defending Americans right to free speech. I believe the Dixie Chicks have a right to say what they did. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with it or like it.