ESPN Pulls Hank Williams Jr from tonights MNF

/dev/null

Everyone whining about MNF pulling Hank Williams, Jr. is a hypocrite. Remember the outrage from the right about the Dixie Chicks saying they were ashamed to have Bush as President? All the calls for boycotts, the hatred and the death threats. I don't recall a lot of right-wingers standing up for the Dixie Chicks' right to speak their minds then. No whining about a PC nation at that moment.

What country were you in at the time?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost in this whole flap is the seeming fact that nobody understands the difference between a comparison and an analogy. It was a stupid analogy to make, but in no way was Obama compared to Hitler.

Also lost is: it's Hank Williams Jr. I'd be more shocked if he didn't say something stupid.

Lost in this whole flap is the seeming fact that nobody understands the difference between a comparison and an analogy. It was a stupid analogy to make, but in no way was Obama compared to Hitler.

Good point, other than the fact that it's dead wrong:

"Williams, whose song "All My Rowdy Friends" has been the Monday Night Football theme on both ABC and ESPN since 1991, told "Fox and Friends" that he thought Speaker of the House John Boehner playing golf with President Obama "would be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu ... In the shape this country is in?"

Told by anchor Brian Kilmeade that he didn't understand the analogy, Williams said: "I'm glad you don't, brother, because a lot of people do. They're the enemy." Asked who, Williams said: "Obama. And Biden. Are you kidding? The Three Stooges."

"Later in the Fox interview with Williams, anchor Gretchen Carlson told Williams he used the name of one of history's most hated men to describe the President.

"Well that's true. But I'm telling you like it is," Williams said."

Seems to me he was trying to compare Obama to Hitler.

What effin difference does it make. It's ok to say bad things about the President here in the US, but not ok to say bad things about the President in England?

It makes an effin difference because plenty was said against and for the Dixie Chicks after their Bush statement. You had to be living under a rock not to know that.

An analogy is a comparison

a·nal·o·gy: Noun

A comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

Edited by billsfan714

It makes an effin difference because plenty was said against and for the Dixie Chicks after their Bush statement. You had to be living under a rock not to know that.

Perhaps I misunderstood your question. I knew the Chicks were in England at the time they made their statement. I just don't understand the relevance. I also realize the Chicks had both their detractors and supporters at the time. My point is that right wingers back then denounced the Chicks for saying terrible things about the President, urged boycotts, etc., but today have their panties in a bunch about everyone being so PC about Junior's statements. They're hypocrites.

An analogy is a comparison

a·nal·o·gy: Noun

A comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

Ok, an analogy is a type of comparison. Thanks for the semantics lesson. The point is that the subject of comparison was the meeting, not the man. If he had said "That would be like Elmer Fudd golfing with Bugs Bunny" would that be a statement comparing Obama to Elmer Fudd?

Granted, I didn't see the follow-up comments, which are a little bit more incendiary.

But like Tom said, it's !@#$ing Hank Williams Jr.!

The decision to punish him for his remarks is part of a larger trend. Those who express non-mainstream viewpoints are often punished. This is pressure towards conformism, pure and simple.

The more conformist a society becomes, the less able it will typically be to identify and correct its own errors. Then again, maybe everything is already so virtuous and wonderful already that there aren't any major errors left to be corrected. <_<

But, on the off chance that there are major errors to be corrected, then "you aren't allowed to say anything non-maistream" would be a much bigger problem than some random singer drawing an inaccurate comparison between two political figures.

I would think/hope that there are big differences between "non-mainstream viewpoints" and comparing Obama to Hitler.

Dixie Chicks make great records...Hank Williams Jr's daddy made some of the best records ever!

And Junior has about as much musical talent as a hickory stump. And I love country music but not his rock-influenced bastardization. Musically, he's an insult to his father's legacy.

Also lost is: it's Hank Williams Jr. I'd be more shocked if he didn't say something stupid.

Exactly. He talks about Obama and Biden and calls them "The Three Stooges…"

I'd tell him to do the math but I doubt he could count that high.

What an idiotic, nonsensical, "PC" move by ESPN. I'm not surprised though, not at all. They (ESPN/ABC), as well as all the other "old school" left-wing, liberal, mainstream broadcast networks worship & love Barry Obama, and they are going to do everything in their power to try and keep that failed, incompetent Empty Suit in the White House for another term.

And Junior has about as much musical talent as a hickory stump. And I love country music but not his rock-influenced bastardization. Musically, he's an insult to his father's legacy.

He talks about Obama and Biden and calls them "The Three Stooges…"

say what you will, but there's been no greater proponent of monday night rowdiness than hw jr. and that's a fact.

I would think/hope that there are big differences between "non-mainstream viewpoints" and comparing Obama to Hitler.

Exactly. He talks about Obama and Biden and calls them "The Three Stooges…"

I think the three stooges were jewish so maybe he was including Netanyahu. But then again most golf groups are foursomes. Geez this is confusing.

Anyway Sage is right about the analogy thingy except it is even easier to shoot down. College boy just made it complex instead of using Occum's Shaver.

Anyway how is Netanyahu supposed to play golf with Hitler without a time machine? This is the whole point of the argument Williams was making. Boehner got his butt kicked on the scorecard but really he only missed two critical short putts. The match play format made it look lopsided in favor of Obama. If he had a time machine then Boehner would go back and change the rules to stroke play and win. If Netanyahu had a time machine he would go back and convince Nevin Chamberlin not to give Hitler an episiotomy.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

Anyway how is Netanyahu supposed to play golf with Hitler without a time machine? This is the whole point of the argument Williams was making. Boehner got his butt kicked on the scorecard but really he only missed two critical short putts. The match play format made it look lopsided in favor of Obama. If he had a time machine then Boehner would go back and change the rules to stroke play and win. If Netanyahu had a time machine he would go back and convince Nevin Chamberlin not to give Hitler an episiotomy.

my dream foursome is shakespeare, gandhi, netanyahu and jen aniston. i'm just watching.

my dream foursome is shakespeare, gandhi, netanyahu and jen aniston. i'm just watching.

Despite the presence of Bebe, Ennifer does a full 99.6% of the talking in that group. Trust me, you're in the clubhouse looking for cover by the time they reach the 4th tee. Frankly there is a pretty good chance Gandhi "accidentally" knocks her out with a hybrid during a "practice" swing before they make the turn.