McKelvin

eSJayDee

I just wonder how brain dead McKelvin must really be if he can't maintain focus with thousands of people watching him. I mean we all daydream a bit at our desks now and then, but if 70,000 people were watching me create a report, I wouldn't just start staring at the wall. His performance goes well beyond simple "football IQ", his actions out there are just inexplicable at times.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If McLuvin is so bad, why is he on the opposing team's #1 (and not Florence)?

They don't swap sides, McKelvin plays left and Florence plays right. Not saying it's how it should be done, but it's why he was on AJ Green in some instances.

If you have made the assessment that he is about as bright as a empty glowstick from the plays he makes (or fails to) then you must have never listened to him speak. That is almost as ugly as his play. There is a reason you never see a video of him on bb.com anymore. Another guy on our roster that I hope figures it out but.....

McKelvin has been burned on more than one occasion this year, but it seems to me that on almost everyone of those plays, there has been a safety that should have been over the top to knock some of those balls down. Has anyone else noticed this?

McKelvin sucks.. but I dont think he's getting too much help

I hate the constant Buffalo bashing of first round picks but McKelvin is not suited for starting corner. The only thing that is making him barely serviceable now IS his athleticism. He is frequently a step or 5 behind. He can't out play WR in the air on jump balls and he buys double moves like they were on discount a Walmart. We need McGee back in a really big way.

I can't believe I am actually going to say this after the last 15 years but we REALLY need to draft a CB perhaps in the first round.

Terrence McGee: 30yrs old and can't stay healthy

Drayton Florence: 30yrs old

Leodis McKelvin: 26yrs no head for the gave

Aaron Williams: 21yrs Too early to tell

We are 1 more injury away from blowing several games. IMO if we had McGee in the Cincy game it would have been a different story. Well, that and if we didn't get jobbed on 3 missed pass interference calls, an on field overturn and failed challenge of what was obviously a SJ catch and a tuck rule call that erased a pickup 6.

We need some talent AND youth at the CB position. McKelvin should have already "figured it out" going into his 4th year.

I hate the constant Buffalo bashing of first round picks but McKelvin is not suited for starting corner. The only thing that is making him barely serviceable now IS his athleticism. He is frequently a step or 5 behind. He can't out play WR in the air on jump balls and he buys double moves like they were on discount a Walmart. We need McGee back in a really big way.

I can't believe I am actually going to say this after the last 15 years but we REALLY need to draft a CB perhaps in the first round.

Terrence McGee: 30yrs old and can't stay healthy

Drayton Florence: 30yrs old

Leodis McKelvin: 26yrs no head for the gave

Aaron Williams: 21yrs Too early to tell

We are 1 more injury away from blowing several games. IMO if we had McGee in the Cincy game it would have been a different story. Well, that and if we didn't get jobbed on 3 missed pass interference calls, an on field overturn and failed challenge of what was obviously a SJ catch and a tuck rule call that erased a pickup 6.

We need some talent AND youth at the CB position. McKelvin should have already "figured it out" going into his 4th year.

Unfortunately we have only 2 and a half good players on our D front 7. So--due to many years of poor drafting we can't afford to go after another corner. We need a front 7 player in the first round again.

Great athletic skills.

Not smart + no football savvy = rarely in position to make a play. Therefore not a play maker.

I'll go one step further ....... he has zero, I mean ZERO ball skills and even worse awareness. I was literally screaming at the TV while the ball was in the air to Green for McKelvin to TURN AROUND. He has no sense of timing and no body control, such that he literally throws himself at the receiver (or in some other direction) after the catch is being made.

I think this nightmare of a CB is going to be a wet dream for all opposing OCs this year....

He'salways going for the interception in stead of just knocking it away, I've yet to see him defend a fly route

and when it is obvious that he isn't going to get the ball, he is out of position to make a quick tackle, so the receiver gets away for a long ground gain.

If you have made the assessment that he is about as bright as a empty glowstick from the plays he makes (or fails to) then you must have never listened to him speak. That is almost as ugly as his play. There is a reason you never see a video of him on bb.com anymore. Another guy on our roster that I hope figures it out but.....

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for answering that question. I have never seen McKelvin interviewed and always assumed there was a reason why.

Unfortunately we have only 2 and a half good players on our D front 7. So--due to many years of poor drafting we can't afford to go after another corner. We need a front 7 player in the first round again.

I think corner is shaping up to be our biggest off season need for the reasons I stated but I certainly wouldn't complain if we got another guy for the defensive trenches. Merriman is a non factor so far and Kelsay is just ok. Carrington, Edwards Troup? Role players so far. Nothing special that I see there. I would still love for us to get a stud NT and kick KW out to DE. I know he does a great job where he is but a dominant nose tackle might allow Dareus and Williams to wreak havock in the backfield. I feel KW would be much better used as a penetrating 3 - 4 DE instead of an active NT.

That being said I think our lack of youth and talent at the CB position has really lost some games for us. If I have to see McKelvin turned around one more time by a rookie WR or looking into the backfield while getting burned on yet another double move I will scream. Perhaps it's not 100% his fault because often times I see the safety get there late as well. Maybe it is a communication issue but it's not correct right now and it needs to be fixed.

Edited by PDaDdy

If you actually wanted to be fair and accurate about McKelvin's play this year, you'd say that he played well in the first game, was horrible against the Raiders, improved against the Patriots, and was not up to the assignment of covering AJ Green… the second coming of Megatron. As much as anything, McKelvin couldn't make up for the size mismatch.

Three catches Green made and the one TD to Gresham that was caught over George Wilson were amazing throws and catches.

While no one wants to, you do actually have to give the other team credit on a few plays each game, even though we all know that when the other team succeeds it's almost always due to a failure on the part of the Bills.

That Cincinnati team is no joke.

p.s.-- That bomb that Jason Campbell completed to Denarius Moore to tie the Oakland game was a great play. Perfectly placed pass, incredible catch.

Well, DJ was coach when we drafted Stevie Johnson and Kyle Williams. And John Guy was around when the bills signed Ryan Fitzpatrick. Just sayin'

"Just sayin" what?

That even a blind squirrel… that even a broken clock?

Don't understand what point you're trying to make.

He's been beaten cleanly plenty of times this year.

Well, I'll give you that, too. Basically, he's either beaten cleanly, or he's in position to make a play and screws it up.

If you actually wanted to be fair and accurate about McKelvin's play this year, you'd say that he played well in the first game, was horrible against the Raiders, improved against the Patriots, and was not up to the assignment of covering AJ Green… the second coming of Megatron. As much as anything, McKelvin couldn't make up for the size mismatch.

Three catches Green made and the one TD to Gresham that was caught over George Wilson were amazing throws and catches.

While no one wants to, you do actually have to give the other team credit on a few plays each game, even though we all know that when the other team succeeds it's almost always due to a failure on the part of the Bills.

That Cincinnati team is no joke.

It's not that AJ Green made those catches... it's how he made those catches. If he out-leaped or out-battled for the ball, that would be one thing. The problem is half the time McKelvin didn't even know the ball was coming or what the receiver was doing.

It's not that AJ Green made those catches... it's how he made those catches. If he out-leaped or out-battled for the ball, that would be one thing. The problem is half the time McKelvin didn't even know the ball was coming or what the receiver was doing.

[/quote

perfect assessment, you nailed it ! It's the lack of awareness that is killing McKelvin - how about if he tries to read the receiver's eyes - wouldn't this be helpful?

Gotta love when fans get personal with players. Classy. I'm willing to bet I graduated from a better school than you. Does that mean I should look down at you? Personal attacks on people you don't know are pretty pathetic.

As for McKelvin, he has all the physical talent to be a top shutdown corner in the NFL. He shut down Calvin Johnson in college. Playing cornerback in the NFL is arguably the most physically tough position to play in the league. Anything you do is a penalty. McKelvin has had his ups (Pats, Chiefs) and downs. Also, some of those catches were flat out insane. He may not be an all pro, but he's not close to the bum some of you make him out to be.

Face it. The league doesn't want defenses to succeed. That's why points and yards at an all time high. Defenses are supposed to look bad.

The Raiders threw to his side all game and it was painfully obvious that Cincinnati did the same when they needed yards. It was like a guaranteed 1st down and possible long ball

Unfortunately true. He is a liability out there. Leodis, turn around and look where the ball is ! Or when the reciever jumps for the ball with oustretched arms, get your hands in their hands.