Byrds takle on Welker.....

Special K

I didn't know defenders weren't allowed to tackle a player in the field of play....who knew.

Horrible call, but in the end it didn't hurt the Bills, thanks to Bryan Scott's awesome INT.

That can't really be a penalty right.....when are they going to start playing two hand touch??

Can only assume that they presumed helmet to helmet. Replay clearly showed me that not only did Byrd lead with his shoulder, the initial hit was at/below the shoulders. Terrigle call.

But...the PI call in our favor?

Which one? The one where the DB ran square into Nelson in the end zone? That one was so obvious any refs would've had to call it.

I didn't know defenders weren't allowed to tackle a player in the field of play....who knew.

Horrible call, but in the end it didn't hurt the Bills, thanks to Bryan Scott's awesome INT.

That can't really be a penalty right.....when are they going to start playing two hand touch??

Pretty simple...it looked helmet to helmet in live action and you cant over turn penalties on replay. And as soon as the hit occured I said I hope they dont throw a flag cuz that looked helmet to helmet. People at home forget that refs dont get replays, slow motion, various angles to determine penalties. All they have to go on is how they percieved it in live action.

Welker led with his helmet just as much.

Byrd was trying to go mid-body in his initial take on the tackle. Welker simultaneously scrunched up his body, which lowered his helmet right into Byrd before Byrd could react. WW is a squirmy worm who scrunches and fools a defense into thinking the tackle's a sure thing... and then he explodes out of the scrunch and that's how he gets 1/4 of his yardage. (Not knocking Welker by any means with that; he's a hell of an athlete!) No doubt that helmet-to-helmet happened, but it was incidental, not intentional.

Funny thing, tho, that if I'm forced to point to a single moment in the game, it seemed to be the play where the momentum shifted. The Pats were like 'Sh--, these guys are for real and they're bringin' it!'

Then again, this is the Pats* and Welker so I fully expect a large fine.

The penalty called wasn't a helmet to helmet. The penalty was one of the newer pro-passing penalties. It was something along the lines of hitting a defenseless receiver. Welker was blindsided but I was under the impression that when they made that rule it was intended to apply only to receivers in mid-air but honestly I'm not that familiar with the rule.

Ive been vocal in the other helmet-to-helmet threads, and usually critical of the DBs for the way they (dont) tackle. But that was a great tackle by Byrd. He came in at perfect level, slid, wrapped, and drove. Im not sure what else youre supposed to do against a 5'9" guy who ducks... :thumbdown:

But again, its the Pats. Youre not allowed to block them. Youre not allowed to tackle them. But they can do what they want.

Edit: Even if it's defenseless receiver, he was already turned upfield, saw Byrd coming, and ducked for the hit. Hardly defenseless. See above.

Bad call. Just like the many others in the game.

Edited by DrDareustein