Bills Viewing Help Needed

IQ

Folks,

I'm presented with the ultimate Bills viewing conflict. My friend (non sports fan) is having his wedding reception at noon in NYC this Sunday! I'm a DirecTV subscriber with the mobile To Go package. I also have a laptop with 4G (sprint) and a phone with 4G. No wifi in the wedding hall. 4G probably won't work.

My fall back is to watch the game on 3G on my phone with a pair of headphones during the wedding (suboptimal solution). Anyone have any other ideas? I don't have a slingbox (although I may go and buy one if I can't come up with another solution).

Is there a way to watch the game immediately after its over online? I can probably pull off not knowing or hearing the score for a few hours and then watch the game immediately afterwards but I'm not sure when the replays are available.

Any help appreciated. I can't believe I've avoided this type of situation for 15 years (I've done the TIVO delay many times and never found out the results ahead of time).

Folks,

I'm presented with the ultimate Bills viewing conflict. My friend (non sports fan) is having his wedding reception at noon in NYC this Sunday! I'm a DirecTV subscriber with the mobile To Go package. I also have a laptop with 4G (sprint) and a phone with 4G. No wifi in the wedding hall. 4G probably won't work.

My fall back is to watch the game on 3G on my phone with a pair of headphones during the wedding (suboptimal solution). Anyone have any other ideas? I don't have a slingbox (although I may go and buy one if I can't come up with another solution).

Is there a way to watch the game immediately after its over online? I can probably pull off not knowing or hearing the score for a few hours and then watch the game immediately afterwards but I'm not sure when the replays are available.

Any help appreciated. I can't believe I've avoided this type of situation for 15 years (I've done the TIVO delay many times and never found out the results ahead of time).

If you can't test Sprint 4G coverage in advance at the exact location, type in the zip code on this coverage map and drill down for a rough idea of what Sprint says you'll get:

http://ria.sprint.com/ria/pages/index.jsp?ms=4G#!/advantage/network/

But keep in mind that actual reception may not match the map:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/337026?tstart=0

Dude, do not watch the game during your friend's wedding. I know you love the Bills, but one game is not worth losing a friend over. And since you said he is not a sports fan, he won't relate... so he will never forgive you.

That's what DVR is for...

"One game?" If we knock off the pats Sunday to officially turn the franchise around and RFA misses it he will bever forgive his friend. There's no reason RFA can't go to the wedding and watch the game. The friend will be too busy to notice anyway. I would definitely go in with at least two technologies. Keep and eye on the TV map. This game will get a lot of airplay so you may be able to watch it on a portable digital antenna TV. They go for $30 on line but if its too late you'll have to buy it at radio shack for $60.

I live out of town and sports for my kids keeps me away from the TV on Sunday afternoons. So, I subscribe to NFL Rewind. You can watch the game in it's entirety in Full HD on your computer after the last game is played on Sunday. I can't watch live anyway, so this is a great solution for me.

Suck it up. If your friend is really your friend, then why would you disrespect him like that? Or, is he not your friend and are you just mooching free food and drink? Besides, why do you want to put yourself through a hassle just to witness another Brady beatdown?

If a football game is more important than your friends wedding, then he isn't really your friend. Skip the wedding, or DVR it. If someone disrespected me and my wifes day watching a football game, real friends of mine would have you removed, or at least your phone would be in little pieces. Luckily that wasn't a possiblity 17 years ago. Don't be known as "that guy".

finally, and most important, you aren't getting any wedding side action watching football. Just Saying.

Folks,

My fall back is to watch the game on 3G on my phone with a pair of headphones during the wedding (suboptimal solution). Anyone have any other ideas?

Either or, not both. Either decline your friend's wedding invitation, stay home and watch the game. Or Be There for your friend body and mind. Don't be a tool and attend the wedding with headphones and a phone streaming the game. That's Lukewarm. Be either hot or cold.

Now if it were a Bills playoff appearance, I could see your dilemma :devil:

I think there are apps that can capture a video feed for later playback. Google around.

I'm not a DirecTV subscriber - can't you record the game off that and playback later, as well?

I live out of town and sports for my kids keeps me away from the TV on Sunday afternoons. So, I subscribe to NFL Rewind. You can watch the game in it's entirety in Full HD on your computer after the last game is played on Sunday. I can't watch live anyway, so this is a great solution for me.

AND...they are offering a free trial until the end of Sept as I recall!

If a football game is more important than your friends wedding, then he isn't really your friend. Skip the wedding, or DVR it. If someone disrespected me and my wifes day watching a football game, real friends of mine would have you removed, or at least your phone would be in little pieces. Luckily that wasn't a possiblity 17 years ago. Don't be known as "that guy".

I wasn't gonna mention it, but yeah....the possibility of damage to your phone should def. be considered.

Edited by Hopeful

What time is the wedding?

If you have "To Go" doesn't that offer a to-go DVR service? And if that's the case, can't you just pitch your lap top somewhere in an annex room near the RECEPTION hall.

There will be a good 40 mins to an hour between service and reception for the wedding party to take pictures. That's the time when wedding guests awkwardly work up a buzz while nibbling on cheese, so to excuse yourself from that wouldn't even fall on the radar.

Life is not a beer commercial. Rocking head phones and watching a football game at a friend's wedding is completely unacceptable, home boy.

What time is the wedding?

If you have "To Go" doesn't that offer a to-go DVR service? And if that's the case, can't you just pitch your lap top somewhere in an annex room near the RECEPTION hall.

There will be a good 40 mins to an hour between service and reception for the wedding party to take pictures. That's the time when wedding guests awkwardly work up a buzz while nibbling on cheese, so to excuse yourself from that wouldn't even fall on the radar.

Life is not a beer commercial. Rocking head phones and watching a football game at a friend's wedding is completely unacceptable, home boy.

Hahaha I got the funniest picture of someone at my wedding wearing head phones watching a game. I think I would have laughed my balls off if I saw that. You are right though if the wedding is at 12 I can't imagine the reception starts until 4 or 5. If it starts at 4 you have a solid 30 to 45 minutes leeway until food is actually served/buffet opened. I think you have a nice little window of time to get to a bar and watch the game.

- Side note

My buddy got married during wild card weekend last year and I talked him into getting a big screen put into the ballroom with the game on. He did that and everyone loved it.

Edited by cmjoyce113

"One game?" If we knock off the pats Sunday to officially turn the franchise around and RFA misses it he will bever forgive his friend. There's no reason RFA can't go to the wedding and watch the game. The friend will be too busy to notice anyway. I would definitely go in with at least two technologies. Keep and eye on the TV map. This game will get a lot of airplay so you may be able to watch it on a portable digital antenna TV. They go for $30 on line but if its too late you'll have to buy it at radio shack for $60.

unless he is the best man :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A real man would never have planned his wedding for a Sunday afternoon during football season. Looks like he's already lost his balls to the soon-to-be wife and you won't be seeing him much after the wedding anyway, so just stay home and watch the game. Tell him his marriage has a 50-50 chance of making it but the Bills are forever. If he's a real friend, he'll understand.

DIRECTV had trouble this past week communicating with any Android phone. But you can watch the games online with the $9.99 package. In saying that the games are automatically taped, so for example you can click play now on any particular game and you watch it from the start. It's not like it's watch it live online or you lose footage. You can watch it at 8PM from the start.

Dude, do not watch the game during your friend's wedding. I know you love the Bills, but one game is not worth losing a friend over. And since you said he is not a sports fan, he won't relate... so he will never forgive you.

That's what DVR is for...

This + one million times. Its a freaking football game for christs sake. :rolleyes:

DVR it and watch it later or the next day.

First, WHO PLANS A WEDDING ON A SUNDAY DURING FOOTBALL SEASON!!!! Second, your best bet is to dvr it and watch later. It's a risk of finding out the outcome but it's the only way you can do it with out looking like a douch. The feed on your phone will be terrible with out wifi. You will miss most of the game. Just hang out with your buddy on his day. Enjoy some drinks. Then go home and watch it. I do this all the time. Set your dvr to record over the three hours. I do a hour and a half to be safe. Avoid your phone and any tvs in the area. Turn your radio off on the ride home and start every conversation with "don't tell me about the game I have it recording and will watch later".... Works for me everytime. The key is the phone. Text messages can be a killer.

I can just see it now. The priest says " is there anyone here who thinks these two should not be married speak now or forever hold your peace" at the same time your watching on your phone. Bam Darius sacks Brady. Brady fumbles Williams scoops it up and runs 50 yards for the touchdown. You jump up and scream " YES RUN YOU SLOW SON OF A B*^CH RUN" then start looking for people to high five. That would not go over well....

Either or, not both. Either decline your friend's wedding invitation, stay home and watch the game. Or Be There for your friend body and mind. Don't be a tool and attend the wedding with headphones and a phone streaming the game. That's Lukewarm. Be either hot or cold.

Now if it were a Bills playoff appearance, I could see your dilemma :devil:

I think there are apps that can capture a video feed for later playback. Google around.

I'm not a DirecTV subscriber - can't you record the game off that and playback later, as well?

Yup. Be there or not.

Besides, this isn't a playoff game for us, just a good early test. It's not really fun to huddle around a crummy screen trying to watch the game with nobody else. DVR or NFL Game Rewind it and watch it on a better screen later.

Folks,

IQ, couple of questions here.

You say the reception is in NYC, does that imply that they were married some time ago and this is a reception for friends and family?

Next, where do you live..or you in NYC or must you travel home sometime that day?

If only a reception..i go partyting with the happy couple the night before..make an apperance at the reception...and find a sports bar in be in front of a TV by 1.10 PM

If it is a full ceremony and reception..here would be my suggestion.

#1) I am a ardent DVR guy..I never watch the 1.00pm games live anymore. But, I live in Richmond VA, and no one cares about the Bills so I never worry about hearing a score.

You my friend will be in NYC for a reception will there is bound to be huge contingent of Jet or Pats fans..and if the Bills are winning that will be impossible to not know and hear the buzz in the room.. Only way for that to not happen is to get your buddy to stand up and the beginning of the shin dig and announce that will be several people there DVRing all the games ..and if you are going to be looking at your phone for scores/fantasy stats etc..please for the love of God keep it to yourself. I am not kidding on this..it will work and more people will understand than you think. I have seen this at a couple of rehearsal dinners and business dinners etc...and people do try their best to keep it to themselves.

#2) If you have to travel back to somewhere and you want to wait till you get home to see the DVR game..just will not happen unless you are driving. If the Bills win..will be impossible for you not to hear in the train/plane/bus/cab station..it will be that big nationwide. If they lose, you will hear nothing and you know they lost.

#3) my suggestion is get the slingbox..go to HHgregg, they have a 14 day no questions asked return policy. Get someone who lives close by to let you connect to their broadband at home..the connections in a hotel or a Panera etc just not gunna cut it. See how you like it and report back here. I am thinking of one for the Sabres games..love to hear your opioion.

Folks,

Seriously man....in the end who cares? This is your friends wedding, happens once in a lifetime, you hope, the bills will be playing the pats again this season. Lobe the loyalty but wedding is more of a precedent....

I don't know what the big deal is. As long as you're not a member of the wedding party itself and won't be disturbing anyone, who cares if you're streaming the game through your headphones? This "disrespecting" stuff is nonsense. People are too uptight. Sit in the back and listen to the game.

Very simple. Dump your friend! What friend lets another friend get married during football season in the first place. Even worse what friend lets another get married on a Sunday during football season? I don't think you are a good friend to let this happen. You made your bed and are now asking others to help sleep in it. What's next? COME ON MAN!

I don't know what the big deal is. As long as you're not a member of the wedding party itself and won't be disturbing anyone, who cares if you're streaming the game through your headphones? This "disrespecting" stuff is nonsense. People are too uptight. Sit in the back and listen to the game.

It's disrespectful because--as the OP noted--his buddy is not a sports fan, and clearly he's made his wedding a priority over the NFL schedule. I surely would never do the same, but to each his own.

So for the groom and his family and his friends, the bride and her family and her friends, this a time that has been set aside to celebrate "them." For the bride and groom, there's a lot that goes into deciding who has impacted their lives in such a way that they welcome someone's company on the one day, for THE ONE HOUR, they've set aside to commit their lives to one another.

If honoring that invitation has less value to you than a football game, then don't go.

I have a personal stake in this quandary for two reasons:

One: my fiance had a college friend who got married on Martha's Vineyard during opening weekend. Due to work and travel schedules, getting to watch the first Bills game of the year would have been very, very tricky had I gone. I wasn't that close with bride who invited us, and opening day was a really really big deal for me, so I sent the soon-to-be Mrs. Big Cat halfway across the country, by plane, bus and ferry to attend the wedding by herself while I stayed in Chicago. This was not a compromise that the two of us reached without many a heated discussion, but it was something we both agreed would be in our own best interests.

Two: That's right "fiance" and soon-to-be Mrs. Cat. I popped the question about a month ago (this is the official TSW announcement) and am currently knee deep in wedding decisions. If somebody pulled this at my wedding next October (will be on a Saturday @ 6pm ET after college day games, before the prime time games), I'd be a little pissed. It's not narcissistic, it's because in inviting YOU to my wedding (someone's who's even CONSIDERING the notion of checking out during the ceremony to catch a football game on a 3" screen) you were probably on the fringe to begin with and I had to make the decision NOT to invite someone else instead. By attending asking you to attend my wedding, I'm saying, hey, come share this day with us, and I'll even buy you a dinner and give you free booze. The least you could do is focus up when and witness the moment when I look my bride in the eye and pledge my life to her.

I guess I'm also curious as to how many of the posters here who would find this funny are either a.) married themselves or b.) have a cooperative, loving relationship with a self-respecting woman who would find this sort of thing even remotely acceptable.

My gal, a HUGE sports fan, and about as easy going as they come, would not tolerate the mere suggestion of someone catching a game during our wedding, or ANYONE'S wedding for that matter. It IS disrespectful.

It's disrespectful because--as the OP noted--his buddy is not a sports fan, and clearly he's made his wedding a priority over the NFL schedule. I surely would never do the same, but to each his own.

So for the groom and his family and his friends, the bride and her family and her friends, this a time that has been set aside to celebrate "them." For the bride and groom, there's a lot that goes into deciding who has impacted their lives in such a way that they welcome someone's company on the one day, for THE ONE HOUR, they've set aside to commit their lives to one another.

If honoring that invitation has less value to you than a football game, then don't go.

I have a personal stake in this quandary for two reasons:

One: my fiance had a college friend who got married on Martha's Vineyard during opening weekend. Due to work and travel schedules, getting to watch the first Bills game of the year would have been very, very tricky had I gone. I wasn't that close with bride who invited us, and opening day was a really really big deal for me, so I sent the soon-to-be Mrs. Big Cat halfway across the country, by plane, bus and ferry to attend the wedding by herself while I stayed in Chicago. This was not a compromise that the two of us reached without many a heated discussion, but it was something we both agreed would be in our own best interests.

Two: That's right "fiance" and soon-to-be Mrs. Cat. I popped the question about a month ago (this is the official TSW announcement) and am currently knee deep in wedding decisions. If somebody pulled this at my wedding next October (will be on a Saturday @ 6pm ET after college day games, before the prime time games), I'd be a little pissed. It's not narcissistic, it's because in inviting YOU to my wedding (someone's who's even CONSIDERING the notion of checking out during the ceremony to catch a football game on a 3" screen) you were probably on the fringe to begin with and I had to make the decision NOT to invite someone else instead. By attending asking you to attend my wedding, I'm saying, hey, come share this day with us, and I'll even buy you a dinner and give you free booze. The least you could do is focus up when and witness the moment when I look my bride in the eye and pledge my life to her.

I guess I'm also curious as to how many of the posters here who would find this funny are either a.) married themselves or b.) have a cooperative, loving relationship with a self-respecting woman who would find this sort of thing even remotely acceptable.

My gal, a HUGE sports fan, and about as easy going as they come, would not tolerate the mere suggestion of someone catching a game during our wedding, or ANYONE'S wedding for that matter. It IS disrespectful.

Congratulations, Big Cat! And my gut reaction to the post was to quietly listen to the game, as long as no one knew it. But after reading your post, I guess the most correct thing to do would be to give the wedding undivided attention and DVR the game for later viewing.

Big Cat..you Bucknell people are all so self important :nana::w00t:

Lets get this str8..if this place has a bar area with a TV at least half of the men..and I mean at the very least..are going to be out in the bar watching the Giants/Philly game . Thats just the way it is.

I will always remember the wedding of a friend(female) of mine who was getting married the night of the May Day goal. Her husband, as well as all his freinds and familty were from Boston, hers all from Buffalo and the wedding was in Buffalo. She got so sick of all the men being in the bar..she had them bring in a TV and we had a grand time watching in between dancing, shots etc.

Boys will be boys...ain't no way around it

Big Cat..you Bucknell people are all so self important :nana::w00t:

Lets get this str8..if this place has a bar area with a TV at least half of the men..and I mean at the very least..are going to be out in the bar watching the Giants/Philly game . Thats just the way it is.

I will always remember the wedding of a friend(female) of mine who was getting married the night of the May Day goal. Her husband, as well as all his freinds and familty were from Boston, hers all from Buffalo and the wedding was in Buffalo. She got so sick of all the men being in the bar..she had them bring in a TV and we had a grand time watching in between dancing, shots etc.

Boys will be boys...ain't no way around it

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that ducking out, or catching the game during the reception is even remotely unacceptable. Might piss off some of the family members who traveled a long way if you don't make time to greet them, but aside from that, it's tough to equate lining up to do the !@#$ing chicken dance with standing up to honor the bride as her father walks her down the aisle.

Funny you mention the 'Nell, cuz that's where the deed is set to be done! Go Bison!

I can't tell you how many times i've had to deal with this (e.g., weddings, niece/nephew b-day parties, in-law anniversary, holiday events, etc.).

In my view, there are four important considerations:

1) How important is the game?

2) How possible is it to avoid media if TIVO is an option?

3) How important is the event, and would anyone get offended by your course of action?

4) How angry will your spouse get based on your course of action?

I'll defer to you as to how you apply these factors to your situation. But, I will say that being out of town for 1 day to go to a non-sports fan friend's wedding and missing a Week 3 game--that screams TIVO to me.

Are you kidding me? Husband and I are die-hard Bills fans, married 20 years. But if some tool did something like, come to my mother's funeral or my sister's wedding with earbuds & an iPhone trying to watch the Bills game, I would ask said tool to be escorted out. You can be a fan but -- especially today with DVRs, online access, etc. -- not participate in today's constant erosion of good manners and good taste.

It doesn't matter if the bride is a castrating B word from hell -- I wouldn't have a wedding on Sunday during football season either -- but if you accepted the invitation, you have to live with your social commitment.

Or just be a dick and watch TV in church. And be known as That Guy. (As BMWR100RT said earlier.)

Cat I agree with you... When my now wife was deciding the date she took many things into consideration.

1) she wanted a march wedding. Then she realized that wouldn't work because of march madness.

2) Then she wanted a June wedding. That's no good because of hockey.

3) September wedding. She knew that would go over like a lead balloon.

She then asked me if a July wedding in the middle of las Vegas summer heat had any sports conflicts that would prevent that from happening. I asked her if the Yankees were playing the Sox that day. She said she didn't know. Being the man I am. I decided to risk that possibility so my soon to be wife could have a firm wedding date.

I married a great women. She went into labor the morning the bills were set to play the panthers in 09'. As I was loading the car with hospital bags I noticed the laptop case and asked her what's this for. She said don't the bills play today. She hates sports but knows I don't. Great woman...

Edited by billsfaninvgs