Pats unstoppable offense has scored less than us. And their D?

ThurmasThoman

has allowed more points than us.

personally, i think we're going to lose this weekend, but i don't really care. i'm happy with 2-0, and we're clearly a team that can compete for the 6 seed in the afc, which is all i ever wanted this year.

if we win this weekend, it's just icing on the cake.

but give us some credit as a team before talking about how this years pats team could go undefeated because of their machine like offense - our O is better, for the time being!

has allowed more points than us.

personally, i think we're going to lose this weekend, but i don't really care. i'm happy with 2-0, and we're clearly a team that can compete for the 6 seed in the afc, which is all i ever wanted this year.

if we win this weekend, it's just icing on the cake.

but give us some credit as a team before talking about how this years pats team could go undefeated because of their machine like offense - our O is better, for the time being!

I think we can beat the Pats. I hope WE think we can beat the Pats. I can't believe the defeatist attitude so many of us have here.

I think the first two weeks were tests of our run D and offense. I think next week is a test of our coaching staff.

Look at Cam Newton. He is throwing like a madman and just racking up the yards - and what's Carolina's record?

Yards don't win games. Passing yards don't win games. Points win games.

The Chargers beat themselves. They coughed it up inside the NE 35. You cant do that with a Belicheck-coached team, and win.

NE scored 17 points off turnovers.

Miami likewise. Played poorly when it counted - only converted 14% of 3rd downs. So their D spent a lot of time on the field, and got tired, and Brady picked them apart.

He wasn't making sushi in the 1st half.

If you look at other aspects of the game (first downs, TOP, run yards, passing yards), neither team was blown out.

Hopeful's Keys to Beating the Pats:

1) Don't beat ourselves. Ball security. No Dumb Penalties.

2) Sustain drives. Convert on 3rd down. San Diego showed this can be done with the Pats - they converted 10 out of 12 3rd downs.

3) Minimize the time Brady spends on the field. Best way to do this: see 2) above. But don't go for the long bomb. Take the dink-and-dunk, move the chains stuff

4) Force one break, and capitalize on it. One Brady INT (hey, it happened in MIA). One fumble where we recover. One drive where we send them 3 and out (I know, that's a stretch).

5) Don't go nuts trying to pressure Brady. The Jets pressure Brady because they both bring the heat, AND take away the middle of the field from the passing game. This is where the Coaching Test comes in - can our Coaches come up with a scheme that works?

So yeah, we'd need a little bit of luck. But only a little bit added on to the good football we've shown we can play.

Then again, maybe I'm just....Hopeful

5) Don't go nuts trying to pressure Brady. The Jets pressure Brady because they both bring the heat, AND take away the middle of the field from the passing game. This is where the Coaching Test comes in - can our Coaches come up with a scheme that works?

You were making sense up until this point. Pressure is THE way you beat Brady. I would seriously fire Norv Turner this morning for his pathetic (dare I say Jauron-ian?) gameplan of laying back in coverage. Brady has been shown to be totally human when you get in his face.

I don't know who will win - I have learned noone ever knows in the NFL, but I believe the Bills interior rush of Williams and Dareus working against the Pat's* battered interior OL will give Brady fits Sunday and he WILL make mistakes.

Edited by BobChalmers

You were making sense up until this point. Pressure is THE way you beat Brady. I would seriously fire Norv Turner this morning for his pathetic (dare I say Jauron-ian?) gameplan of laying back in coverage. Brady has been shown to be totally human when you get in his face.

I don't know who will win - I have learned noone ever knows in the NFL, but I believe the Bills interior rush of Williams and Dareus working against the Pat's* battered interior OL will give Brady fits Sunday and he WILL make mistakes.

I agree Bob, but ONLY if you can also cover. Can we cover?

Brady is very good at the quick fire across the middle and short distance under pressure.

It's "live by the Biltz, die by the Blitz" if we can't cover well enough to shut this down while we bring the heat.

That said, I agree, laying back in coverage is a losing strategy - I don't think that's what beat San Diego though. They beat themselves with those 4 TO (3 inside the 35 leading to 17 points).

That's like gift wrapping the football and carrying it to the Pats sidelines.

My point is pressure, but don't go nuts with it. I frankly am a little dismayed at how poor our D was yesterday, no pressure AND no pass coverage, as dismayed as a fan can be after a great win. I'm hoping that someone better than I at dissecting film will have time and inclination to shed light.

I know that if we go after Brady, but leave him the dump-off to Welker or the TEs and if we can't "solve the screen", we might as well lay back in coverage 'cuz the result is about the same. He's shown that time and again.

the secondary is questionable at this point. you cant shut down that pats offense without a pass rush and decent coverage. we need really good play from our lb corps to be able to rush without blowing any assignments. if the 3 guys up front can do their jobs, a great game for the lbs and above average play from our cb's we can win as long as we are clean with the football. we need merriman to be merriman

Yes i have seen Brady get antsy once he gets hit. But you have to also remember the Jets have amazing CB's they can leave on an island. You want to leave McKelvin one on one all game?

Bills need to get good pressure from sending 5 guys. and yes hopefully knocking him down a few times.

Confidence alone makes this game winnable. If Fitz can get us in the endzone to open the game and the D gets a stop, that Stadium will be loud enough to hear from the space station.

Home Field Advantage and confidence are our biggest weapons.

That Raiders D is no slouch. They couldn't stop us and they Knew it

This.

They played better teams than we did.

I disagree with this. Raiders beat sd twice last year as well as the fact that sd under norv traditionally struggles at the start of the year. Kc looks to be the worst team in football however mia was 1-7 at home last year as well as having no dbs healthy for the game or its entirety at least. At least the teams were equal in how good they were if the bills competition wasn't better.

Confidence alone makes this game winnable. If Fitz can get us in the endzone to open the game and the D gets a stop, that Stadium will be loud enough to hear from the space station.

Home Field Advantage and confidence are our biggest weapons.

That Raiders D is no slouch. They couldn't stop us and they Knew it

Isn't the Space Station currently empty?:unsure:

Part of what makes the Pats* Machine work is how they change up everything they've shown in the 4th Quarter -O & D. Not drastically and often difficult to see, but they do make changes to what they've been suckering opponents into throughout the game. Especially so on key 3rd downs in the 4th.

Know it. Plan for it. Counter it.

There is pressure and then there is pressure. We have to win at the line of scrimmage to pressure Brady. If the front 7 or more importantly, the front 3 r 4 can push their line back, we will go a long way towards hurrying his throws or disrupting his rhythm.

I don't think we can blitz him too often unless it is a very well disguised one. Else, he will find the hot receiver and burn us big time.

Look, he will have his good throws, he will get his long completions. However, if we can contain that damage and limit the scoring we will be fine. We cannot expect or try to shut thier offense down. Just do enough to keep their scoring to field goals and hope the O has another good outing. This game is winnable.