Jackson upset is not good

26TrapDraw

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred is the only back who has been consistently productive behind our sorry excuse for an Oline for the past 4 years. If we had a line that could block and we ever had a lead to protect in the 2nd half, we could commit to the run and he would have great stats. Simply put he's the only reliable offensive weapon on this team week in and week out. He's the best offensive player on this team since Eric Moulds.

That's more of an indictment of how bad our offense has been over the last few years than it is about how great St. Frederic is....

I, for one, am concerned that a "team player" is so upset that he didn't get the start in ONE PRESEASON game. If Marshawn Lynch, Donte Whitner or Lee Evans did this, he would be getting crucified right now by everyone on this board. But because it's Legendary Freddy, it's ok and he has every right to be upset, and pout about it through the media.

Yes we all know who should be the starting back when the season starts. But fans seem to forget that this is the preseason. Now is the time to give the "rookies" the chance to either prove their worth or hang themselves. We all know what Jackson can do. If the rookie can't prove his worth, then don't hang on to him too long. Just because the NFL charges for preseason tickets like they are "real" games does not make them "real" games. This is Spiller's time to prove his worth or lack of it. This is all preseason and practice. Remember all the time that the NFL teams usually have earlier in the season to evaluate players was lost, so more evaluation has to take place in camp, practice and preseason games. Jackson has to stop letting his ego get ahead of his brain. Spiller might well be gone soon enough once the "real" games begin.

Ok, Gailey needs to be careful with this situation. Fred Jackson without a doubt should be the number 1 running back on this team. The guy does everything well, runs hard between the tackles catches out of the backfield stays in and throws great blocks in the backfield etc. I read tonight that he doesn't know where he stands on this team. Really? Gailey needs to understand that Spiller is not a pound between the tackles kind of running back. If used correctly they can pack a great one two punch. Gailey needs to do some damage control. Fred Jackson is one of the most consisent if not best offensive player we have. Just Sayin

It never ceases to amaze me how dysfunctional this organization is.

Ralph Wilson should be ashamed that he allowed and enabled this gross mismanagement. If it weren't for Cincinnati, this would be the worst run franchise in the NFL.

We picked CJ first round. He's gotta play. The NFL is full of broken hearts. Suck it up and do what you're asked.

PTR

Amen! I'm sick of this crap. Freddy needs worry about what he's being told to do and when, and stop crying over his dissed feelings. That's what he's being paid to do.

Most ridiculous logic ever. See Aaron Maybin.

Duh. Aaron Maybin played and proved he couldn't. Why draft players if we only judge them in OTAs and camp?

That's because he was benched. (In only one game so far.)

Look at the game replay,. Spiller started but Jackson was right in after two plays. How is that getting benched???

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

First, what BIG PLAYS has CJ made in the NFL and how frequently is he able to do it? Second, someone with big play ability, but an INABILITY to do the day to day operations of being an NFL running back (regularly getting positive yardage, a respectable yards per carry, solid blocking, and thereby moving the chains when you need) is by definition the perfect person to have as a number 2 running back. On say second and short, you can try and work CJ in to see if he can get lucky with a big play, if he doesn't you still have another down. But when it comes to 3rd and short (3-4yards), the reliable back, your #1 back should be the one given the ball. Freddie is the guy who can move the chains and sustain drives. yes, maybe CJ will get lucky and bust a big run once every 15 touches (I am being generous, last year he went 16 touches straight with negative yardage). But when he is ineffective at getting the big play, he does not even get the respectable 3-5 yards needed to put the offense in good down and distance situations. If CJ is given the majority of the carries, and the majority of the time he gets minimal (relatively) or negative yardage, that results in wasted plays and stalled drives. Stalled drives keeps the defense on the field, gets them winded and ineffective. A SOLID back is what you need as your number one to keep the offense on the field, keep drives alive and get the OPPOSING defense tired. By all means, work CJ in to see if he can break something, but he is not an every down back (or atleast has not proven himself to be in the NFL with no consistency and downright BAD blocking).

Going back to my original point. How can we all be so sure that he has this amazing "big play potential" when he has had very few such "big plays" in the NFL. We are all assuming his potential because of his college success. Different league, he needs to prove that he has regular big play potential in THIS league. And even if he does, that does not make him an every down, (#1) back.

Finally, in reference to your point. Isn't not having a HOF QB or a good O-line for pass protection the exact reason you need to have a reliable RB that gains positive yardage with every touch. If its not a HOF QB, you need to be put into good down and distance situations, because you can't expct the QB to bail you out of 3rd and long. With an ineffective running game on 1st and 2nd down (as would be the case with a RB who only rarely gets a big play), the offense is in a tough situation, one that they do not have the talent necessarily to get out of on a regular basis.

Just my opinion, but would be happy to hear your thoughts.

I think that we have a 1 and 1a situation and I said that even before reading about Chan's comments in which he said as much. We have a set of backs that are so complimentary to each other that it should be seen by both players and fans what an optimal situation the Bills have at the position. This is really a non-story and Jackson's reaction is starting to make me question his leadership on the team. You don't hear Patriot players crying about playing time or if they're considered the starter or not. Each member has a role and just does their job. That's what Jackson needs to do. He needs to shut up and play as one of the 2 starting complimentary RBs on this team. Neither Jackson or Spiller are full time starter material. They're dual starters. I hope that Jackson does the team right and goes back to the media and let them know that he's done talking about this subject and he's ready, willing and able to what's asked of him by his coaches.

Of course all of this talk of equal carries hinges on Spiller's ability to be able to block a blitzing LB which to date he has sucked at. But if and when he's able to prove he can do this then I fully expect both players to support each other and buy into the 1 and 1a roles.

For what it's worth, I just watched the replay of the screen pass to Spiller that a lot of people are complaining about that he didn't wait for his block, a dozen times. If Spiller waited for his block, he would have LOST three more yards. Urbik was horrible, and whiffed badly. The CB came up hard and went right for Spiller. If CJ waited for the blocks like everyone is complaining about, he would have been hit three yards behind where he was hit, without question.

I'm not a big stat guy, but this is an interesting article that was posted here a few months back.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/24/elusive-rating-2010/

IMO the #1 quality in a RB is the ability to make a tackler miss. It doesn't have to do with speed, it shows a RBs instincts. The one thing I've always thought about Fred, is he is tremendous at making the 1st guy miss. He does it well, better than most RBs in the league. My reason for saying he the best offensive weapon we've had since thurman. I understand many here disagree with that, cool with me.

Rumors (so take them for what they are worth in the wake of Pat Moran last week):

@SaviorEdwards Savior Edwards Source: Fred Jackson wants out of Buffalo and trade talks have begun with 2 unnamed teams. The good news keeps coming.

@SaviorEdwards Savior Edwards Source: Several veteran players have already 'tuned out' Chan Gailey and questioning some of the recent personel moves. Yikes.

Again, take them how you want, especially when it's someone posting on Twitter.

Rumors (so take them for what they are worth in the wake of Pat Moran last week):

@SaviorEdwards Savior Edwards Source: Fred Jackson wants out of Buffalo and trade talks have begun with 2 unnamed teams. The good news keeps coming.

@SaviorEdwards Savior Edwards Source: Several veteran players have already 'tuned out' Chan Gailey and questioning some of the recent personel moves. Yikes.

This has all the makings of a Bullough Rebellion.

GO BILLS!!!

Travis Henry was the best RB we have had since Thurman Thomas. He could do it all, except keep the things between his legs right. Jackson comes only after him. One of the biggest problem with Jackson has been his ability to score TDs in the redzone. He has been pretty pedestrian in the Redzone. Of course that could all be due to the lousy OL that we have. I do agree that Chan should have handled this better, firstly by talking to Jackson and also letting him know that Spiller will start all pre-season games. There is so much lack of communication between this staff and the players...and that is not a good thing....

First Evans, then it was Levitre...and now Jackson....

:thumbsup: Completely agree...loved Travis Henry, on the field...love Jackson too, but Henry was just all heart when he played...and, like Freddie, never really appreciated by the Bills...but I think with Travis, the Bills knew of his off-the field stuff, long before we did, so they cut their losses, before it affected them...

This has all the makings of a Bullough Rebellion.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't even know what to make of any of this any more...but why can't we ever feel just a little bit good about the Bills, going into the season?

I am not off the Gailey bandwagon, yet...but I do succinctly remember, when he coached the Cowboys, most of the vets hated him...Aikman in particular.

I weep for this team... :cry:

And then, I :beer:

T-Pegs please save this wayward ship...

Ahhh, unnamed sources! Always telling us what we want to hear.

PTR

I'm starting to hear people going towards the direction of the following line:

"Freddie is a better back when there isn't good blocking, but Spiller would be the better back if we had a good offensive line."

Brilliant point, if the defense was obliterated from the face of the earth, Spiller would get to the end zone quicker.

Absolutely ridiculous. Good backs make people miss. If that wasn't the case, we would have drafted Carl Lewis.

Edited by BillsLux