Patriots sign shaun Ellis

Hey all you fanatics: When are we signing a "good" RT??? Is the front office trying? I feel the AFC East is stocking up and the Bills are not adjusting. We need a RT!!

I feel sad sometimes like Keanu. This is group share session, right?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams with strong coaches and a good locker room don't worry as much about team chemistry because the coach will get a player out even faster than they brought them in.

Actually, I think it's the players, not the coach, who weed out the bad eggs. It takes a while to build that environment, but NE* definitely has it. Belichick doesn't worry about a player affecting team chemistry because he knows his core group of players will either get the guy in line, or he'll be gone.

Wait, I thought the Jets always get their man in free agency? No one of sound mind would choose not to stay with the Super Bowl bound Jets so it must mean that Ellis sucks or is washed up since the Jets didn't make a serious move to keep him? But Belichek is a genius, so Ellis can't be washed up. But the Jets always get their man. But Belichek only makes good signings.

Hynesworth is a crazy move and high risk even for low pick. Is Belichek that arrogant? I think so.

Well if fat albert can and will play thats not good for us,but it could backfire and he could drag on them too.

I think the Pats moves are a bit odd too.

This is pretty much what Dan LaBatard (sp?)(linked in another thread on this message board)was saying in his (unflattering) article about Parcells and the Dolphins, that "stable" teams who have had a lot of success can get away with making moves like this, because their success has given them a lot of credibility (with fans, owners, the rest of the league, etc), to be able to take chances/risks like this, knowing that even if they don't pan out, their jobs are safe.

Teams like Miami, (and also, regrettably, our beloved Bills), can't afford to take these kinds of risks/gambles, because they simply can't afford to lose. For the Dolphins/Bills, signing players like Haynesworth or Plaxico would be seen as "desperation", while the same moves made by the Pats or Jests are seen as "bold" or "genius".

This is where having a good rep like the Patriots comes in handy. Guys like this are willing to sign low end contracts for the chance to win a SB. The Bills would probably have had to offer him a crap load of money to sign. Clearly the Pats are stocking up on the D-line this year, I think that is aimed specifically at the Jets.

For those clamoring for a OT (right/left, whatever), I am all for that as well. It is a big need. The problem is there has to be someone of value to sign. The Bills went after Clabo, and from what I have heard offered him a better contract than what he ended up signing in Atlanta. He was good and would have been worth it. What we DON'T want, is to throw huge contracts at more mediocre guys just because it's a need (Remember Dockery and Walker?). There are no great OT's available IMO that I am aware of.

Also, I'm not sure if we want fat washed up guys like McKinnie or especially Flozell. Minnesota fans have been ripping McKinnie hard, and were saying he was by far their worst OL last year.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This is where having a good rep like the Patriots comes in handy. Guys like this are willing to sign low end contracts for the chance to win a SB.

Most of them aren't too swift: it hasn't worked for 6 years and counting.

Hynesworth is a crazy move and high risk even for low pick. Is Belichek that arrogant? I think so.

Well if fat albert can and will play thats not good for us,but it could backfire and he could drag on them too.

So do you think Chris Hairston is more likely to make an impact this year than Albert Haynesworth? I wouldn't bet on it backfiring, Belicheck showed last year that he can cut / trade a player (e.g. Moss) if he thinks the player is no longer good for the team.

I don't see how signing a 34 year old defensive lineman is any real news.

Maybe because he has had atleast 4.5 sacks each season since 2005 not including to big sacks last season on tom brady in the playoffs. I dont belive the guy is useless just becuz his age

Maybe because he has had at least 4.5 sacks each season since 2005 not including to big sacks last season on tom brady in the playoffs. I don't believe the guy is useless just because his age

Useless, no. He's only useless if he's injured.

Effective? Eh. He'll give you a play or two on passing downs, but just like Derrick Mason, you've got little left in the football tank at that age, especially as the season wears on. This is not a big deal signing whatsoever.

NFL in the year 2011: Advantage Youth

"High risk" ???? A couple of 5th round picks? To me, "high risk" means a major downside if you are wrong. I highly doubt that in the future, if this doesn't work out and the Patriots drift back to the pack for a while that

their fans will look back and say, "jeez, if only we hadn't wasted those 5th round picks on Haynesworth, we would have won at least two super bowls and cured cancer." Compare the consequences to the Pats

of this deal being a mistake with the mistake of drafting Maybin. If there is any coach capable of kicking Haynesworth back to sanity, its probably BB, damn his soul.

No actually it doesn't......Shawn Ellis much like Hainsworth are RISK moves......because they are hoping they can reclaim productivity they USED to have.....

To me it seems the patriots are doing a lot of that these days....too much. They are still going to be good because they have Tom Brady....but if I were a patriot fan I would be a little nervous about that "window"

Don't know why everyone is bashing the Pats for taking risks. No risk, no reward. I remember a few years ago when they took a HUGE risk and brought in Randy Moss. That worked out pretty well for them. No? Have any of their risks backfired? Meanwhile, the Bills stay on the "safe path" and continue to miss the playoffs.

A single WR cannot change a teams fortuines. If we had Hansworth to add to our depth at D-line, that would make a difference. If we got a good O lineman to plug in, that would make a difference.

So do you think Chris Hairston is more likely to make an impact this year than Albert Haynesworth? I wouldn't bet on it backfiring, Belicheck showed last year that he can cut / trade a player (e.g. Moss) if he thinks the player is no longer good for the team.

Hairston has the attitude of a player i want on my team. Haynesworth is a weener. Maybe i am taking this too personal! But you can have him Bill. I hope he spreads his diseased attitude to your guys. His risk is not the pick placement its the potential degradation of a morale compass for Patriots def line.

Hey Fat would you like to play this down, it's a pass play and might be fun for you ? Oh, no? ok let me know when you feel up to it? can i get you another cheeseburger Al?

Ocho, Mason and Ellis are guys who know how to play at a high level. I don't care how old they are. They can still render very useful service. If BB can get Albert to play to his ability he will be a bargain basement superstar. What I like about BB is that he is able to think outside the box and is not afflicted in the least by conventional notions, of which there are plenty in pro football.

Having said that I wonder if BB has perhaps not bitten off more than even he can chew this time. My guess is that their record will deteriorate this year. And, like the dream team Eagles, they are always only one injury to that all important player away from disaster (not that I am hoping for this).

I think we split the season series with the Pats this year.

Hairston has the attitude of a player i want on my team. Haynesworth is a weener. Maybe i am taking this too personal! But you can have him Bill. I hope he spreads his diseased attitude to your guys. His risk is not the pick placement its the potential degradation of a morale compass for Patriots def line.

Hey Fat would you like to play this down, it's a pass play and might be fun for you ? Oh, no? ok let me know when you feel up to it? can i get you another cheeseburger Al?

My boy Randy would love a cheeseburger. Give me your smokes.

FWIW...Haynesworth missed his 3rd straight practice today, no reason given.

I was on one of their forums and it seems AH gets a knee shot every year at around this time and they are just taking it easy with him. There were also some rumors about his conditioning but nobody can substantiate them.

FWIW, Ellis was placed on their PUP list.

GO BILLS!!!