I am begging anyone out there to help start a real sports radio station in Buffalo. It's the start of training camp, free agency is crazy, and it's the NFL, yet, the two afternoon hosts on GR are talking about movies? Movies???? Are you kidding me?? What a joke of a station! Shame on the callers who kept calling in to talk about it too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am begging anyone out there to help start a real sports radio station in Buffalo. It's the start of training camp, free agency is crazy, and it's the NFL, yet, the two afternoon hosts on GR are talking about movies? Movies???? Are you kidding me?? What a joke of a station! Shame on the callers who kept calling in to talk about it too.

Had to turn them off....I could see it after the NHL FA period was over and before the NFL lockout was settled...but today??? :thumbdown:

Well if anyone does want to start one I'm in and I come REAL cheap... ;)

And all kidding aside...yes...I think I could do better than most of them at WGR...Though I am, and always will be, a Howard Simon Fan... B-)

They actually, on multiple occasions, stated they were looking to take calls on training camp and talked about the Bills through 5 o'clock. Yet people kept calling with talk about the movies. They then stated they would take calls on both, and Schopp, on more than one occasion stated "no calls on football I guess we'll stick with movies." Guess you should have called in.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

They actually, on multiple occasions, stated they were looking to take calls on training camp and talked about the Bills through 5 o'clock. Yet people kept calling with talk about the movies. They then stated they would take calls on both, and Schopp, on more than one occasion stated "no calls on football I guess we'll stick with movies." Guess you should have called in.

Right because Talk Radio topics are controlled by the callers... :huh:

I mean...I know it happens from time to time...But for the most part the Hosts control, and sometimes (rightfully) monopolize the conversation...That's what Talk Radio is...In a Sports Town like Buffalo, on the 1st Day of Bills Camp, there is no way the conversation should be about ANYTHING other than Football...Especially in an established, old-school Market like WNY...And letting callers control topics is always dangerous...I've listened to Sports Talk for over 20 years now almost every day and I've never called in once...Many of the callers I hear on Sports Talk Radio both here and in Charlotte NC are complete idiots...Sometimes I wonder if they are really just joking...It's up to the Hosts to make good Talk Radio...The Afternoon guys on WGR are brutal at times...I mean REAL bad...It gets a little old... B-)

the morning show isnt bad. But when I get out of work and flip on those two idiots I get annoyed. But they are the only place to get any sports so I am forced to listen to atleast get sports on the 20's inbetween their incessant babbling.

Right because Talk Radio topics are controlled by the callers... :huh:

I mean...I know it happens from time to time...But for the most part the Hosts control, and sometimes (rightfully) monopolize the conversation...That's what Talk Radio is...In a Sports Town like Buffalo, on the 1st Day of Bills Camp, there is no way the conversation should be about ANYTHING other than Football...Especially in an established, old-school Market like WNY...And letting callers control topics is always dangerous...I've listened to Sports Talk for over 20 years now almost every day and I've never called in once...Many of the callers I hear on Sports Talk Radio both here and in Charlotte NC are complete idiots...Sometimes I wonder if they are really just joking...It's up to the Hosts to make good Talk Radio...The Afternoon guys on WGR are brutal at times...I mean REAL bad...It gets a little old... B-)

I guess that's a fair point, but you can only rehash the same BS about the Bills so many times. It's depressing and aggravating to listen to or read (this board). Who wants that on a Friday night? Not sure why I'm defending them other than I actually found the talk entertaining.

I agree regarding callers, many times I turn my radio down or off when they start taking calls.

Call or write the sponsors that WGR's programming is no longer worth your time listening to and you will not buy their product because you associate extreme negativity toward their product because of their relationship with WRG radio.

I did a few years ago and if more people followed suit the programming would change. Oh and I never listen to that childish babble anymore. I figure if anything positive happens with the supposed sports talk about the Bills; someone here I know will post the news that WGR has changed. Until then 'GR is off my radar.

I guess like the Bills folks are used to crappy sports radio.. Other cities have good stations. We are stuck with WGR. Unfortunately it would take a Terry Pegula to build a station. It's not worth the investment for the local broadcasting companies. Talk radio is expensive to do well. And all you have for sponsors is Mama Pecorarro.

PTR

I guess that's a fair point, but you can only rehash the same BS about the Bills so many times. It's depressing and aggravating to listen to or read (this board). Who wants that on a Friday night? Not sure why I'm defending them other than I actually found the talk entertaining.

I agree regarding callers, many times I turn my radio down or off when they start taking calls.

I don't know...Maybe it's because I just moved back and now I can listen in my Car instead of just streaming, but I expected more...I think they could make it (debate or talk about Buffalo Bills Football) exciting if they wanted to...But clearly they don't care about that...And don't get me wrong...Some of the stuff they do cracks me up from time to time...I just wish they would be more hardcore Football Talk guys...Especially when Camp starts...I know that's what I would do if I had their incredibly awesome job...Seriously...I know I'm nuts...But that is just about my dream job...Right behind Bills GM...I would kill to do what they do...So it kills me when it seems like they don't care...

And I guess I should mention that I know they are both more Hockey Guys than Football Guys...So fair enough...Get some Football Guys in there during Football Season...That's all...B-)

Really what is there to say? The Bills have been completely uninteresting for years and they haven't done anything this year to change that. Training camp hasn't even started so all conversation at this point is speculative. Should they take calls from people suggesting the Bills sign this guy or that when it isn't going to happen? What's the point? If the Bills did something exciting or even interesting there would be an audience for that and they would talk about it. That's not the Bills though -- at least not this yet this year. How much time can you devote to the same old conversations about Ralph not wanting to spend money, or players not wanting to play in Buffalo, or any of the other relevant topics? Unless there is some miracle and everything happens to come together the Bills are going to be bad again next year. Really really bad. And it's a little early for the 2012 Draft.

I guess like the Bills folks are used to crappy sports radio.. Other cities have good stations. We are stuck with WGR. Unfortunately it would take a Terry Pegula to build a station. It's not worth the investment for the local broadcasting companies. Talk radio is expensive to do well. And all you have for sponsors is Mama Pecorarro.

PTR

I mentioned this on the Shout Box..... I've been listening to WGR for the Jim Rome Show (and hopefully some Bills-related talk) for a few weeks. I am sick and tired of every other commercial being Mama Pecorarro. "WE NEED MORE PEPPERS!" Enough! I can easily sympathize with those of you who've been listening a lot longer to WGR and had to put up with this. And Schopp and Bulldog.... thankfully I have other options because I am not impressed. They don't keep me engaged in their conversations. They aren't funny and they don't give me much to think about.

I would make a suggestion- if anyone from WGR is reading this thread: Hire Coach Sal Capaccio. The man knows his sports; knows his Buffalo sports; and will be straight-forward and not come off as abrasive. If his broadcasts online are any indication, he would bring in the listeners and spark some lively conversations with them. Plus, maybe he could attract other advertisers besides Lakefront Automotive (or whoever Pecorarro is with).

Edited by Champaign Mike

I mentioned this on the Shout Box..... I've been listening to WGR for the Jim Rome Show (and hopefully some Bills-related talk) for a few weeks. I am sick and tired of every other commercial being Mama Pecorarro. "WE NEED MORE PEPPERS!" Enough! I can easily sympathize with those of you who've been listening a lot longer to WGR and had to put up with this. And Schopp and Bulldog.... thankfully I have other options because I am not impressed. They don't keep me engaged in their conversations. They aren't funny and they don't give me much to think about.

I would make a suggestion- if anyone from WGR is reading this thread: Hire Coach Sal Capaccio. The man knows his sports; knows his Buffalo sports; and will be straight-forward and not come off as abrasive. If his broadcasts online are any indication, he would bring in the listeners and spark some lively conversations with them. Plus, maybe he could attract other advertisers besides Lakefront Auytomotive (or whoever Pecorarro is with).

Sal goes against the grain at 'GR. He actually understands football and tries to bring some rational discussion to his listeners. What WGR wants are hosts who know how to press listeners panic buttons. Always negative, always controversy. They think that's how you generate ratings in Buffalo. And frankly they may be right, judging by the majority of threads here.

PTR

Schoop and Bulldogg just suck.

Bulldogg can't do anything or have any comments or opinins without his butt buddy Schoop giving him permission that it's ok. And Schoop is just a nerdy piece of crap non athlete, never played any sports (except tennis) probably because he was too small and slow and had zero coordination and talent at physical activities and was always picked last at everything. He's bitter for a few reasons, he doesn't like to be here in Buffalo, he culdnt hack it at ESPN radio, and he's not good at any sports. And he became even more bitter after he and his wife lost thier baby (completely understandable) but he should have taken some serious time off after that and it showed IMO. He is much better now actually after the adoption and it shows. But he still doesn't know Jack S#&T about sports and he still thinks he's smarter and funnier than most people and he's not.

And Mike and the rest of the WGR crew, I know you read these boards often, say what you want, but it's all true and you probably think your too good to admit it, but you need to take some criticism and stop talking about dumb things.

Does anyone know if WECK is still on the air? Brad Writer is so much better than these @ssclowns

I was going to start a thread about this so everyone could see it but I'll post it here hoping you all, who complain about WGR, will give this is a chance.

Nick Mendola and Brad Riter just posted a podcast that talks a lot about the Bills. The first few minutes talks about their departure from WECK so if you're not into that, skip ahead a few minutes. After that, there's some very interesting Bills discussion, like the idea that Fitzy isn't the worst QB in the league (sorry Schopp, he's not) and so forth.. I highly recommend it if you're looking for an alternative to WGR.

Here's the direct link

I stopped tuning in to WGR about 2 years ago but today I figured this is the start of camp, they have to be talking Bills TODAY.

I was wrong.

Makes me want to start even an underground talk show on the air I bet my house I can do better than these guys.

I happened to switch over to gr when a commercial came on while listening to NFL on Sirius sitting in traffic. I heard them saying something about movies and laughed to myself how stupid this is. Then a guy comes on the air and says something about where would you place Fitzpatrick overall compared to other qb's in the league and Schopp hangs up on him and says "ya we're not talking about that today. Maybe another day but today we are on this topic." I switched back to listen to the commercials on the NFL channel on Sirius.

What a disgrace gr is even by it's own lowly standards. It is opening day of camp and we're not talking football today? See ya.

Edited by beerme1

I happened to switch over to gr when a commercial came on while listening to NFL on Sirius sitting in traffic. I heard them saying something about movies and laughed to myself how stupid this is. Then a guy comes on the air and says something about where would you place Fitzpatrick overall compared to other qb's in the league and Schopp hangs up on him and says "ya we're not talking about that today. Maybe another day but today we are on this topic." I switched back to listen to the commercials on the NFL channel on Sirius.

What a disgrace gr is even by it's own lowly standards. It is opening day of camp and we're not talking football today? See ya.

Exactly... B-)

UPDATE: Coach Sal Capaccio is joining WGR as a weekend host, according to him on Twitter:

@SalSports Sal Capaccio Very thrilled, proud, and honored to say I’ll be joining the great staff of @WGR550 this fall as a weekend talk host.....

....I’ll have more details on what days/times I’l be on as the time gets closer. But, for now, just want to say Thank You ...

...to Andy Roth, Tim Wenger (@TWenger930), Kevin Carr, and Entercom for bringing me aboard....

....and allowing me to live out one of my life’s dreams and goals. I’m ready to get to work and talk sports with #Buffalo! 8 minutes ago via web

Same BS???? It was the first day of training camp & the first day of free agency. It is not like it was the middle of June & nothing was going on. I car pool with South Town Tommy & we were both disgusted on the ride home with that so called sports show. Those 2 idiots should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Gordio

Same BS???? It was the first day of training camp & the first day of free agency. It is not like it was the middle of June & nothing was going on. I car pool with South Town Tommy & we were both disgusted on the ride home with that so called sports show. Those 2 idiots should be ashamed of themselves.

Truth be told the "first day of training camp" involved stretching and no other news. There was NOTHING new to talk about at that point that hadn't been said for the past 3 days.

Starting today, there is a two hour show each evening devoted to training camp.... since there is now actually practice going on.

Truth be told the "first day of training camp" involved stretching and no other news. There was NOTHING new to talk about at that point that hadn't been said for the past 3 days.

Starting today, there is a two hour show each evening devoted to training camp.... since there is now actually practice going on.

I realize there was no practice but I don't know, how about talking about their chances this year, how about talking about the individual competition for roster spots & such. To talk about movies all Friday was crazy. I guaranty if it was the first day of Sabres camp they would not be talking about movies. They just do not have the knowledge about sports to make a whole show about it, that is why they got to have movie drafts/actor drafts/sandwich drafts & such. The alchy at the corner bar that sits at the end of the bar knows more about football then these 2 guys. It is pathetic.

They should be AT CAMP broadcasting live from there.

Schopp actually said "I can't wait until the Bills get to 0-4 so we can talk about hockey." They are so dismissive of football that I've just stopped listening and started turning to Sirius NFL radio for some real football talk with people who know/care about football.

The grand irony is that without the Bills WGR would not survive.

I would make a suggestion- if anyone from WGR is reading this thread: Hire Coach Sal Capaccio. The man knows his sports; knows his Buffalo sports; and will be straight-forward and not come off as abrasive. If his broadcasts online are any indication, he would bring in the listeners and spark some lively conversations with them. Plus, maybe he could attract other advertisers besides Lakefront Automotive (or whoever Pecorarro is with).

Yep it's horrible programming. I dont know what the AM drive show sounds like as it is on too early out west , but they are syndicated from Colin Cowherd thru Rome, so what 9a-3p...so they only need local content from 6a-9a, and 3p -7p...Im in San Diego and XX Sports 1090 is live and local from 6a-10p every day, and it is a superior station on every possible level. Two sport town like Buffalo with a crappy baseball team-They still make it interesting. Schopp and Bulldog wouldnt even get a Sunday 10p-12 Mid slot out here. They are without talent...They dont pull them because the ratings are probably pretty good and they work for cheap....My suggestion is stream other stations and see what real sports talk sounds like....

I was going to start a thread about this so everyone could see it but I'll post it here hoping you all, who complain about WGR, will give this is a chance.

Nick Mendola and Brad Riter just posted a podcast that talks a lot about the Bills. The first few minutes talks about their departure from WECK so if you're not into that, skip ahead a few minutes. After that, there's some very interesting Bills discussion, like the idea that Fitzy isn't the worst QB in the league (sorry Schopp, he's not) and so forth.. I highly recommend it if you're looking for an alternative to WGR.

Here's the direct link

You may want to drop this guy an e-mail and tell him what you think of the content, he is the Program Director for WGR 550AM Tim Wenger,again it wont probably matter because the show gets decent ratings Im assuming since it is Buffalo and we want sports talk (plus those guys are probably cheap since they suck so badly...)He isnt the General Manager who probably has the most pull over there, but if enough people complain-who knows...End of the day it comes down to ratings and ad dollars even if these guys suck as bad as they do...

twenger@entercom.com

I listen to WGR in the mornings & SiriusXM NFL Radio in the afternoons b/c of these 2.

If everyone that complains about GR actually stopped listening to them and shut the radio off it might force them to change things. Calling in and bitching just reinforces their subject matter, they don't care about football like they should so just turn them off. There are plenty of other places to get your Bills fix. If you keep listening, they will never change, their ratings are too high.

I stick around for headlines on the twenties. WGR has that down. When commercials start I shut it off, knowing it'll be at least three or four minutes of solid ad's before any sports talk will resume.

I wish there was a podcast I could download with a Buffalo slant. The Patriots have a training camp podcast !

Actually they are doing a great job, threads like this prove how many people are listening. The more threads that appear about WGR, the more thye can keep doing what they are doing.

You want to change things, if everyone on this board never mentioned them again, then things may change. as long as threads keep popping up, they are getting air time!

guys in general Buffalo radio as a whole is terrible.

The sports stations DJ's are open in their disdain for Buffalo sports teams, Schopp especially.

The "alternative rock" station lost its Edge 10 years, and plays the same 6 bands over and over from the 80's and 90's.

The pop station is a pop station, enough said.

The country station has a smaller playlist than the rock station.

The classic rock station is stuck with the same shtick it had 20 years ago.

The urban station has the same call letters as a Success-In-Effect song WBLK (We Be Black) and also catered to Canadian marketers for a long time.

and basically every mix station is stuck in the 70's 80's and 90's.

In summation, Buffalo radio lacks variety and is stuck 15 years ago instead of playing some talented newer acts (they do exist). Let alone the local music scene suffers from a giant lack of support from these radio stations. There are some great local acts that you never heard of, that are stuck playing at Mohawk Place while you hear promo's left and right for cover bands:wallbash:

/rant

Bull. As if they can't control the topic. That's why radio stations have call screeners and "dump" buttons.