Bills interested in OT Tyson Clabo

The offer will probably be closer to $10mil/year. Which for a starting all-pro RT is pretty fair. Salaries have jumped this year with the increase in spending. It may sound like a lot to you or me, but when held up against what is going on in the NFL, these $5-8mil/year contracts arent that huge.

I'm kind of thinking somewhere around $9-10mil a year. I just don't want to see another Dockery-esque situation, where they gave a non-elite player an elite contract and it screwed up the whole pay scale pecking order for the line. You can't pay elite LT money to a RT without causing some problems sooner or later.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of thinking somewhere around $9-10mil a year. I just don't want to see another Dockery-esque situation, where they gave a non-elite player an elite contract and it screwed up the whole pay scale pecking order for the line. You can't pay elite LT money to a RT without causing some problems sooner or later.

thought about that yesterday. but only players we'd need to worry about with that is Wood and Levitre and neither are at high-paid positions, nor are they getting the attention that the big dummy was getting, nor do they seem like the type to pout.

Steelers just got the Colon deal done - 5 years, $29 million, per Adam Caplan

FWIW

Ieeeeee! there goes the backup plan. Doesn't matter if we get Clabo.

The good news is that if I was Colon's agent I'd for dang sure wait until Clabo was nailed down knowing that the Clabo loser could come in with a big bid...

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Mark Long Beach

The offer will probably be closer to $10mil/year. Which for a starting all-pro RT is pretty fair.

Um no. Just no. $10M for a starting RT is obscenely overpriced. You want to give almost 10% of the team payroll to a RT? No way....

thought about that yesterday. but only players we'd need to worry about with that is Wood and Levitre and neither are at high-paid positions, nor are they getting the attention that the big dummy was getting, nor do they seem like the type to pout.

I don't think it would cause any problems short-term, since RT is usually 2nd-highest-paid on the OL, Bell is in no position to make salary demands, and the Bills are well below the salary floor anyway. Problems could arise down the road if the Bills try to ink a decent/good LT who now wants big-time money, or if the Bills get enough good players on the roster that they can't pay them all. If Clabo's really worth $7mil and we pay $9mil, no big deal. But if he's really worth $7mil and we pay $12mil, that's the kind of thing that winds up taking money away from another position where it's needed.

Whatever, this is all academic anyway. Let's hope the Bills get him!

Wow Heitz that's lower than expected from where I'm sitting, I wonder if he gave them a discount

Totally agree - must mean that we're all in for Clabo for us to not try and beat that offer.

Either that or the boys are sitting at OBD thinking "Oh snap and we were going to offer that guy $8 mil a year for 4 years, good thing we didn't!"

A couple more twitter posts from "NFL Draft Update" (whoever that is)

@nfldraftupdate: A report that free agent OT Clabo chooses #Bills. #ATL offered more money & will not change stance. Update to come

Then that was erased and they posted this:

Source on the Tyson Clabo to #Bills agreement is a little murky, but monitor the situation.

Sounds like their source is TBD! :D:beer:

Edited by Heitz

Totally agree - must mean that we're all in for Clabo for us to not try and beat that offer.

Either that or the boys are sitting at OBD thinking "Oh snap and we were going to offer that guy $8 mil a year for 4 years, good thing we didn't!"

A couple more twitter posts from "NFL Draft Update" (whoever that is)

@nfldraftupdate: A report that free agent OT Clabo chooses #Bills. #ATL offered more money & will not change stance. Update to come

Then that was erased and they posted this:

Source on the Tyson Clabo to #Bills agreement is a little murky, but monitor the situation.

Sounds like their source is TBD! :D:beer:

Or Wikipedia!

Ieeeeee! there goes the backup plan. Doesn't matter if we get Clabo.

The good news is that if I was Colon's agent I'd for dang sure wait until Clabo was nailed down knowing that the Clabo loser could come in with a big bid...

Fingers crossed.

Good point.

So now we are waiting to see if Atlanta will match Buffalo's offer. We all know that at same dollars he stays a Falcon, so it is exclusively up to the Atlanta front office to decide if they match or not, and not just Clabo making a decision or the Bills making a decision. The twitter-verse doesn't seem to have any hint or clue on what the Falcons are actually doing or how long it might take them to decide. So I think this is on hold until we get some real news coming, and there won't be anything else from the rumor side of things unless Clabo signs up for Twitter himself really soon.

This is like listening to radio broadcasts in black and white. http://twitter.com/#.../nfldraftupdate

Dion Caputi

I wouldn't have reported it if I thought it wasn't true at all. Clabo to #Bills isn't confirmed but I'd say it's close at least

tlennon1021

Dion Ca
puti
@
I'd say that's where the safe money is right now. Blalock won't be cheap though.

Edited by Nanker