hasselbeck

anyone think we should try and sell matt hasselbeck when free agency begins. Fitz will be the starter but fitz has never played a full season and you need capable backups at all positions.

anyone think we should try and sell matt hasselbeck when free agency begins. Fitz will be the starter but fitz has never played a full season and you need capable backups at all positions.

Not a bad idea, just don't see him being a backup to a guy like Fitz.

Only if he was brought in strictly as a back up & there was no way Fitz would lose his job to him by injury unless Fitz just flat out sucked & i don't foresee that happening !!

Almost like the Brunnell thing !!

Only if he was brought in strictly as a back up & there was no way Fitz would lose his job to him by injury unless Fitz just flat out sucked & i don't foresee that happening !!

Almost like the Brunnell thing !!

There is no chance that Fitz is not named the starter. And there is no reason not to bring in the very best QB we can find. As long as we don't sell the farm to get him.

Hasselbeck is a protypical West Coast Offense QB, not a great fit for the Gailey's offense. Same reason Buddy/Chan passed on Dalton, IMO.

Plus, probably less than a 1% chance that Hasselbeck would accept a backup role on a rebuilding team at this stage of his career.

Plus, probably less than a 1% chance that Hasselbeck would accept a backup role on a rebuilding team at this stage of his career.

Agreed.

Of course it would be great to have a vet like Hasselbeck in reserve, but he would want a chance to win the starting job.

Doesn't make sense to me because of the reasons being mentioned, including:

1) Why would Hasselbeck come to Buffalo to be a backup?

2) Hasselbeck is not the "8-10" year prospect that Nix said the Bills are looking for

3) Hasselbeck has played his whole career in a different style of offense

The new QB that they bring in will be a young guy with "potential" who is affordable and hasn't panned out where he is.

Am I the only one who thinks that Hasselbeck is better?

I think Hasselback is pretty good too. He's at least as good as Fitz. I'd like to bring him in as the backup to Fitz. Hasselback has been injured frequently in Seattle the last few years because his line couldn't protect him. Sound familiar? Anyway, as a backup he wouldn't have to play every game. We need someone like him to be Fitz' backup. A vet who if needed can come in and play good enough to give us a chance to win. We don't need a young guy with potential blah blah blah. We need a backup. Sort of a QB 1 and 1A situation like most good teams have.

Think Brees/Brunell Romo/Kitna Griese/Moral

Never say Never. He may come here if Seattle doesn't offer him a contract and he still wants to play. I live in Seattle and he has been here for a long time. I'm thinking if Seattle doesn't renew, he'll retire, but you never know.

Why? He's pretty much the same thing as Fitz. Makes sense if you're a Super Bowl contending team, and all parties involved understand he is insurance. But a team like the Bills doesn't need insurance, they need a QB to develop. And as for him, if he's going to sit, he wants to sit on a team going places with a chance for the ultimate prize--those are teams that need insurance. Just don't see it, from either perspective.

I don't think Seattle will let him go....who else have they got? Whitehurst? Losman?

The Sea Snakes didn't draft a QB and used their 1st two draft picks on OL.

Speculation in Seattle is that Hasselbeck wouldn't go elsewhere for money, but only for the chance to compete for a championship. I don't think the Bills can offer him that.

Why? He's pretty much the same thing as Fitz. Makes sense if you're a Super Bowl contending team, and all parties involved understand he is insurance. But a team like the Bills doesn't need insurance, they need a QB to develop. And as for him, if he's going to sit, he wants to sit on a team going places with a chance for the ultimate prize--those are teams that need insurance. Just don't see it, from either perspective.

In his interview, Nix said very clearly they were looking to acquire an experienced NFL QB through FA to back up Fitz.

Nix also said they were going to bring in a young guy to look at, and they really don't know what they have yet in Levi Brown 'cuz the #3 QB doesn't get a lot of snaps.

Edited by Hopeful

Am I the only one who thinks that Hasselbeck is better?

I think that Hasselbeck was better than Fitzy, but not now. And if Fitz stays healthy, he does have a chance to be as good as Hasselbeck in his prime.

Fitz is no superstar, but he is not the problem on this team.

I think that Hasselbeck was better than Fitzy, but not now. And if Fitz stays healthy, he does have a chance to be as good as Hasselbeck in his prime.

Fitz is no superstar, but he is not the problem on this team.

Right. Fitz is the right QB for this team. They believe in him and he gets the most out of this offense as currently formed. What he did last year with substandard talent around him is really nothing short of miraculous.

As to backups, I don't worry. The Bills will get one in free agency. None of them is going to be a star. They can just pick up a guy off the scrap heap.

Doesn't make sense to me because of the reasons being mentioned, including:

1) Why would Hasselbeck come to Buffalo to be a backup?

2) Hasselbeck is not the "8-10" year prospect that Nix said the Bills are looking for

3) Hasselbeck has played his whole career in a different style of offense

The new QB that they bring in will be a young guy with "potential" who is affordable and hasn't panned out where he is.

The 8-10 year prospect is not going to come from free agency. It's going to come from a future draft. Hasselbeck would be a good backup if he can be convinced to sign here. Admittedly, that isn't very likely but at least worth a try. As for the system, it really doesn't matter. He has a vast amount of experience and he is an above average QB. One really good thing about him is that his contract is expired in Seattle and we would not have to give up draft picks to get him. The other is that he can likely hold down the fort if Fitz gets hurt, unlike someone off the scrap heap.

Edited by Rockinon

Never happen. Hasselbeck isn't going anywhere to be a backup, especially when he is better than Fitz. Makes no sense. Anyone that brings in Hasselbeck has to consider themselves just a QB shy of being a contender (we are far from that).

Never happen. Hasselbeck isn't going anywhere to be a backup, especially when he is better than Fitz. Makes no sense. Anyone that brings in Hasselbeck has to consider themselves just a QB shy of being a contender (we are far from that).

Never is a strong word. Not very likely, yes. As for being better than Fitz, that still remains to be seen. He might actually like the idea.

If the Bills were to pursue a veteran in UFA the guy I'd look at as backup would be Marc Bulger. Yet there are reports he is going to be heading to Arizona other than him and Hasselbeck the UFA landscape of QBs is an ugly one. http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2011

Travares Jackson is interesting since he fits the young/mobile type QB that we could maybe mold into something but think we can sign him now and haven't made any effort to do so, so doubt we want him.

Again, Matt Hasselbeck is strictly a West Coast Offense QB, he is not system-diverse. Anybody remember Jeff Garcia in Cleveland & Detroit? That's what happens when a WCO "system QB" leaves the system he is suited for. Hasselbeck would crash & burn in our offense, even if given the starting job by the Bills.