We need to start looking at veteran free agent QB's

Looks like that is the route we are going to go

The top free agents and trade baits are probably not on our shopping list ( McNabb, Kolb, T. Smith,Boller,Palmer,ect) and beyond that the picking is pretty poor. We might have to wait till cut down time to find a viable backup.

I think Bills will try to make an inter-division trade for Patriots backup Brian Hoyer.

Hoyer had a good 2007 college season and tailed off a bit in 2008 due to Coach Mark Dantonio putting a giant workload on RB Javon Ringer, the NCAA's 4th leading rusher (1,600+ yards) and who led the NCAA in touchdowns that same year with 22.

I think Bills will try to make an inter-division trade for Patriots backup Brian Hoyer.

Hoyer had a good 2007 college season and tailed off a bit in 2008 due to Coach Mark Dantonio putting a giant workload on RB Javon Ringer, the NCAA's 4th leading rusher (1,600+ yards) and who led the NCAA in touchdowns that same year with 22.

Nothing against Hoyer, but 1) he can hardly be considered a proven NFL backup 2) trading with Belicheat, lock up your wimmin, keep a tight grip on your booze, and keep the other hand on your wallet

I think they will pick someone up who is not threat to Fitz. A Croyle or someone like that.

This is Fitz's team this year. No more QB controversy.

I don't understand this line of thinking.

Fitz is not Peyton Manning. Why wouldn't you want the team to find a QB who is just as good as or better than Fitz? Better QB talent would make the team better.

I like Fitz, but I would be thrilled if we found another good QB to compete with him. It's only a controversy to message board fans and idiot media. It's a competition to the players. It's a 'what have you done for me lately" league. If Fitz can't handle some competition, he's not who I want starting for the Bills.

Why? Ryan Fitzpatrick is our guy, we have a vet who knows our system in Brian Brohm and a guy entering his second season with Levi Brown.

Bringing in Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb would only serve to undermine Fitz in '11. If Fitz goes down then we can bring in someone off waivers, an undrafted rookie free agent or someone's practice squad.

Fitz turns 29 in November he's still got 4-6 years of elite level play in front of himself if he stays healthy and plays well he's our best hope to win in 2011. If Fitz goes down our season is lost and we'll be looking at a high draft pick in 2012.

Edited by BiggieScooby

I think camp should be about checking out a few more UDFA QBs this year, mine for gold.

After cut downs players like Alex Smith, even Clausen ect might be there as a backup.Why sign some aged average QB for a backup, it's not like we're making a SB run this year.If Fitz goes down we'll be playing for "luck" anyway

Why? Ryan Fitzpatrick is our guy, we have a vet who knows our system in Brian Brohm and a guy entering his second season with Levi Brown.

Bringing in Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb would only serve to undermine Fitz in '11. If Fitz goes down then we can bring in someone off waivers, an undrafted rookie free agent or someone's practice squad.

Fitz turns 29 in November he's still got 4-6 years of elite level play in front of himself if he stays healthy and plays well and he's our best hope to win in 2011. If Fitz goes down our season is lost and we'll be looking at a high draft pick in 2012.

Brian Brohm is an untendered RFA, old rules or new rules he's a goner. Depending on what determines free agency Caleb Hanie, Brodie Croyle or Tyler Thigpen could be options. Croyle & Thigpen both have worked with Chan at KC.

Does Fitz have any years of "elite level play" behind him?

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Fitz is not Peyton Manning. Why wouldn't you want the team to find a QB who is just as good as or better than Fitz? Better QB talent would make the team better.

I like Fitz, but I would be thrilled if we found another good QB to compete with him. It's only a controversy to message board fans and idiot media. It's a competition to the players. It's a 'what have you done for me lately" league. If Fitz can't handle some competition, he's not who I want starting for the Bills.

You want to "find" a qb that can compete with Fitz. Where? The want ads? Craigslist? Do you think there's any FA QBs that can compete with Fitz? IMO, Vince Young and Matt Hasselback are the only 2 that can do that. I doubt VY would he much of a competition due to Fitz already being on the system for a year. VY would have to learn the system and probably wouldn't be a good option to start til mid season, at least. Most on this board hate the thought of VY, I love it, considering our HC and the otter options available. Hasselback is at the end of his career. Seattle doesn't have another good option at qb, and they might let him walk...so why would we want him? If he's available and affordable, he would've be a terrible option strictly as a backup, but Eh. Any other QB that could "compete" with Fitz, is already under contract with another team and we'd have to give up a pick. I'd be ok with trading away a 5-7th round for the right guy, but it may not be easy to find a team willing to part with a viable backup.

Here's a list: "find" one that can compete with Fitz.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

Does Fitz have any years of "elite level play" behind him?

yeah its called 13 games in 2010. I love how people write off 23 tds in 13 games. Did he play at an elite level every game? the answer is no, but he did play good in a majority of the games, the answer must be yes. If the defense hadn't been so poor against the run perhaps we pull off some more wins. The guy can play, he's in the middle of the pack out of 32 starters. If his play continues to improve then we're talking top 25% off the league. He has the opportunity to build off 2010 and prove you wrong. Its anybody's guess, but my guess is this guy delivers.

yeah its called 13 games in 2010. I love how people write off 23 tds in 13 games. Did he play at an elite level every game? the answer is no, but he did play good in a majority of the games, the answer must be yes. If the defense hadn't been so poor against the run perhaps we pull off some more wins. The guy can play, he's in the middle of the pack out of 32 starters. If his play continues to improve then we're talking top 25% off the league. He has the opportunity to build off 2010 and prove you wrong. Its anybody's guess, but my guess is this guy delivers.

My issue was with the term "elite," playing good in a majority of games doesn't make him elite in any way. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are elite. He's not in their class and didn't play one game in their class last year.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Fitz turns 29 in November he's still got 4-6 years of elite level play in front of himself if he stays healthy and plays well he's our best hope to win in 2011. If Fitz goes down our season is lost and we'll be looking at a high draft pick in 2012.

It's about winning games. You get the best QB available and let the competition determine who the starter will be.

Fitz has never played at an elite level. He has played at an acceptable level. If Orton or Young is available I would bring one in.

He has progressively gotten better and has showed that he can win games.

Edited by VADC Bills

My issue was with the term "elite," playing good in a majority of games doesn't make him elite in any way. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are elite. He's not in their class and didn't play one game in their class last year.

Fair enough, I should have written prime of his career, which he is in. Peyton Manning (35yrs) & Tom Brady (34yrs when the season starts) are the best, however their days on top will soon be over thanks to that damn thing called time. I think the next wave of elite players is Aaron Rodgers, & Matt Ryan. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not in that class, and never will be. That said Jim Kelly wasn't at Elway's or Marino's level and yet he beat them, because he was on the better TEAM. Give Fitz a good roster and a "good" quarterback may just be the elite quarterback.

You want to "find" a qb that can compete with Fitz. Where? The want ads? Craigslist? Do you think there's any FA QBs that can compete with Fitz? IMO, Vince Young and Matt Hasselback are the only 2 that can do that. I doubt VY would he much of a competition due to Fitz already being on the system for a year. VY would have to learn the system and probably wouldn't be a good option to start til mid season, at least. Most on this board hate the thought of VY, I love it, considering our HC and the otter options available. Hasselback is at the end of his career. Seattle doesn't have another good option at qb, and they might let him walk...so why would we want him? If he's available and affordable, he would've be a terrible option strictly as a backup, but Eh. Any other QB that could "compete" with Fitz, is already under contract with another team and we'd have to give up a pick. I'd be ok with trading away a 5-7th round for the right guy, but it may not be easy to find a team willing to part with a viable backup.

Here's a list: "find" one that can compete with Fitz.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

I think you missed my point completely. I didn't advocate a specific player to bring in. I was commenting about the post from Haven Moses that talked about not wanting to bring in the QB who was a 'threat to Fitz".

My statement was that I would be very happy if the Bills could find and bring in a QB who was as good as or better than Fitz because that would make the Bills better.

It's about winning games. You get the best QB available and let the competition determine who the starter will be.

Fitz has never played at an elite level. He has played at an acceptable level. If Orton or Young is available I would bring one in.

He has progressively gotten better and has showed that he can win games.

True, it is about winning games, and making the plays to win them. Steve Johnson's drop not withstanding Fitz & the rest of our roster didn't make enough "game-winning" plays when the game was on the line. Fitz is in the prime of his career and playing at a high level as compared to his peers. He is in the top half of all the QBs in the league in terms of his performance last year. You can bang on completion percentange all you want, but Orton & Young have won games based upon being on squads with better rosters and coaches. Fitz has been paired with Gailey one season and showed tremendous growth as the season wore on. Putting Fitz in a "competition" for starting QB would be a shame. He has earned the job and should be given managements full support. Without Fitz last year we'd have gone 0-16.

Fitz was, at worst, in the middle of the pack of starting QBs a year ago. That means approximately 15 teams don't have a starter who was as productive. It's not about whether or not there's a "competition" -- where are the Bills going to FIND a QB to come in who is as good or better than Fitz?

I think you missed my point completely. I didn't advocate a specific player to bring in. I was commenting about the post from Haven Moses that talked about not wanting to bring in the QB who was a 'threat to Fitz".

My statement was that I would be very happy if the Bills could find and bring in a QB who was as good as or better than Fitz because that would make the Bills better.

My bad. I agree with that statement as long as we don't over pay.

Recall all the people who posted here last year singing the praises of Jimmy Clauson? Where are they now? Is it possible that Jimmy is just so suspect that Carolina used the first pick to recover from their previous years mistake?

Fitz was, at worst, in the middle of the pack of starting QBs a year ago. That means approximately 15 teams don't have a starter who was as productive. It's not about whether or not there's a "competition" -- where are the Bills going to FIND a QB to come in who is as good or better than Fitz?

Again, you missed the point. I don't expect the Bills to bring in a top tier QB to compete with Fitz. I was simply questioning the mentality that said it would be a bad thing if they did.

But, to answer your question (not that I am advocating acquiring any of these players), here is a list of players who are reportedly going to be avaialble who I would consider to be roughly equal to or better than Fitz: Carson Palmer, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Kolb, Vince Young and to a much lesser degree: Bulger and Delhomme.

COmpetition is a good thing. If Fitz is as good as you say, he will beat out any competition they bring in (not that I expect them to).

Recall all the people who posted here last year singing the praises of Jimmy Clauson? Where are they now? Is it possible that Jimmy is just so suspect that Carolina used the first pick to recover from their previous years mistake?

San Diego did the same thing and drafted Vick to replace Brees. New Orleans is glad SD jumped to judgement so quickly. Maybe the next team to get Clausen will be too. I seriously doubt it, but it is possible.

Again, you missed the point. I don't expect the Bills to bring in a top tier QB to compete with Fitz. I was simply questioning the mentality that said it would be a bad thing if they did.

But, to answer your question (not that I am advocating acquiring any of these players), here is a list of players who are reportedly going to be avaialble who I would consider to be roughly equal to or better than Fitz: Carson Palmer, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Kolb, Vince Young and to a much lesser degree: Bulger and Delhomme.

Competition is a good thing. If Fitz is as good as you say, he will beat out any competition they bring in (not that I expect them to).

Are any of those guys (besides Kolb) under 40? And Kolb isn't even really "available" -- you'll have to give up a lot to get him in. I don't think there's anything attractive about that list, personally.

FWIW, I also don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing that Fitz did a pretty good job last year under trying circumstances, and Chan giving him the "you're the man in 2011" vote of confidence is not stifling competition.

Who do you suggest or is this a backhanded Fitz bashing thread? We need another guy on the roster that is for sure. Wonder who is available.

I am no Clausen fan but be real. Is it possible that a young QB who needed 1 - 3 years on the bench was thrust into a starting role WAY before he was ready due to injury and his haters jumped all over it to say he sucks?

Edited by PDaDdy

No! that just looks like the route that you want them to go.

...and no I don't believe B Quinn is any better than Fitz.

Why can't Fitz just be our guy this year? He is a hell of a leader and he is better than Edwards, JP, Drew, Collins and anyone else the Bills have stuck back there since Kelly and people want to constantly discredit him. He is not the next coming of Kelly but he is better than all those names being thrown around, save a couple of guys.

COmpetition is a good thing. If Fitz is as good as you say, he will beat out any competition they bring in (not that I expect them to).

Competition at every position is good and necessary unless it's at QB. If you have 2 you don't have 1 is the old saying. You need to know who your guy is and give him the support that he needs. Bringing in the guys you mention to compete with Fitz doesn't accomplish much other than to wreck his confidence in my opinion as they are not clearly better and having been week 1 starters have had more of a chance to prove what they can do.

That being said, bring in anyone you want as long as we don't have to give up any picks or sign ridiculous contracts to do it.

If OBD really does believe in Fitz, they better get him signed beyond 2011. The end of next year is not the time to do it.

It is totally possible.

It is also totally possible that many viewed Newton a once-in-a-generation type prospect too enticing to pass up.

Its also totally possible, and w/ evidence to prove it, that John Fox sandbagged Jimmy Clausen with an offense that made Jauron's look aggressive. Fox had no motive to develop or cater any personnel sets to his QBs strengths. He's worth taking a look at if other options don't present themselves.

We do need to look for a FA for a year. Neither Brohm nor Brown are answers - even as backups. Someone has to be able to actually play if Fitz goes down. Also, while I like Fitz, he is not the long-term answer. We need to draft a QB next year in the first round, and it looks like there will be a few good ones. Fitz can mentor/compete until the guy overtakes him. Then Fitz can finish out a nice career in Buffalo as the franchise's back-up, ala Frank Reich.

Why can't Fitz just be our guy this year? He is a hell of a leader and he is better than Edwards, JP, Drew, Collins and anyone else the Bills have stuck back there since Kelly and people want to constantly discredit him.

I think Fitz should be "the guy" this year. But we do need to get a vet backup QB. I expect us to be on the outskirts of the playoff hunt his year and if the ball bounces our way some, maybe even get in. In October/November/December if Fitz goes out a couple of games, it's not time to start thinking of Luck, it's time to put in a QB that might actaully give us a chance to win a game to stay in the hunt.

Of the ones on the list I'd look into the following for backup QB:

Marc Bulger

Todd Collins

Bruce Gradkowski

Rex Grossman

Tarvaris Jackson

Alex Smith

Troy Smith

Billy Volek

Seneca Wallace

Other names that if came available I'd go for:

Vince Young

Donovan McNabb

Carson Palmer

Kyle Orton

And should one of them actually look great in pre season and beat out Fitz, well, this is hardball, and those are the breaks.

Edited by reddogblitz

Ok, who is this someone?

No! that just looks like the route that you want them to go.

...and no I don't believe B Quinn is any better than Fitz.

Why can't Fitz just be our guy this year? He is a hell of a leader and he is better than Edwards, JP, Drew, Collins and anyone else the Bills have stuck back there since Kelly and people want to constantly discredit him. He is not the next coming of Kelly but he is better than all those names being thrown around, save a couple of guys.

IMHO, that is not the issue. We need a third QB simply because of the risk of injury. We need another QB and the front office should go after the best they can get in FA. Worrying over whether that QB is going to compete with Fitz is just not an issue either. The idea is to make the team as a whole better.